Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie (22804 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Hosts Lupita Nyong’o In Lagos / Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by nenergy(m): 2:09pm On Mar 08, 2017
Feminism as pushed by modern women is confusing. I understood feminism to mean equal opportunities for women, but now I'm struggling to understand it afresh because of comments like this.

So basically, Aunty Chimamanda is saying I should stop being a gentleman and employers/the law should not take feminity into consideration at all.

That means no maternity leaves, no leniency when monthly flow causes inefficiency at work, no reduced requirements for admission into the armed forces, no leniency by the courts against crimes by nursing mothers etc

So let's treat women (in all instances) as we would men.

I'm beginning to think there are factions in feminism.

3 Likes

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by SACI: 2:24pm On Mar 08, 2017
johnbuck81:
this is wrong..a woman is a woman and a man remains a man.treat the pussy as a cat and the dick as Harry.
Dude,really..?
A pussy as a cat(animal)
A dick as harry (human)
That u guys have a pole instead of a hole does make u "guys" superior to us.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Godsonkemz(m): 2:28pm On Mar 08, 2017
Women should go back to God and ask him to give them dickk because dey wana be equal to men. If i may ask, why is Chimamanda married to a man. She's wrecking people's marriages in the name of feminism while hers remains intact. The holy bible says men love and protect your wives and women submit yourself under your husbands.

1 Like

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by oxon(m): 2:32pm On Mar 08, 2017
hucienda:
This CNA feminist craze is now getting stale.

Trying too much to seek validation from western liberal powers that be. undecided

Make she no overdo am before common folk start seeing her as one over-rated writer.
she is actually overrated the only reason she is getting this much publicity in the first place is because she is a woman , I know a lot of male writters in Africa who will beat her hands down when it come to literal prose but then no one has given em any recognition, because in a mans world just good does not cut it, actually excellence buys you the respect you need , if we are to take an equal stand then trust me she won't be this recognized... take yemi alade for example is she as good as the likes of brymo, dammy crane , but she's the one getting international recognition ..

1 Like

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by TMDavidWest(f): 2:35pm On Mar 08, 2017
Apina:

That's were she and those of you in support get it wrong. outside the love of God, there's no other being who's love doesn't go with conditions. That aside, feminism is a misconception of roles. Women should demand to be treated as humans with rights like every other human and not using men as the yardstick. If they want the same roles as men, who would fill in for theirs?

You see, I talked about "unconditional love", I did not talk about "Feminism". That's all I want to point out.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Prinszevor(m): 2:35pm On Mar 08, 2017
johnbuck81:
this is wrong..a woman is a woman and a man remains a man.treat the pussy as a cat and the dick as Harry.
my guy you do well taxn u
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by TMDavidWest(f): 2:36pm On Mar 08, 2017
UncleJudax:

Sadly, no love is unconditional. Although you have the right to believe otherwise.

Sadly... Believing that is why "conditional love" still thrives.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by RosaConsidine: 2:37pm On Mar 08, 2017
Scatterscatter:
I dislike the insincerity of acclaimed feminists.

"Women should be treated as those with joysticks" but when armed robbers attack, the same women will run behind those with the "joystick" and the "joystick" will willingly receive the bullet on her behalf.

I really pity our Nigerian ladies who are doing copy-copy of the nonsense feminism wave blowing in the West.
Ever wondered why the rate of divorce and separation has increased in Nigeria since the advent of Social Media?

Ladies, be wise as no man will ever give his best to any woman that dare challenge his authority all the time. Make a man feel less of himself and watch a Prince turn to a dare-devil!
Men are naturally egoistic in nature, stroke his ego positively and trust me, you will have him do anything you wish without conflict.

Too often, I see posts like these and I would just like to believe that they are made by people who don't understand the basic premise of feminism.

For starters, women run behind men in the face if danger? That happens but there are also men that run behind their women in the face if danger. There strong, bold, resilient women who would brave any circumstances even better than a lot of men would. Why should they be treated differently or as lesser creatures? Your gender is certaonly not what makes you smart, bold, courageous, strong, resilient or intelligent.

Sure, there are women who are only too happy to play the damsel in distress and leave their men to do everything "because I'm a woman". Those people are just plain lazy and I wouldn't marry such. While there certainly are differences between men and women generally (asides anatomy, of course!), these differences aren't a reason why women should be looked on as lesser creatures with inferior abilities. There are people who wouldn't give women jobs as engineers or scientists or even doctors or lawyers just because they are women. And that shouldn't be so. People should be treated based on the strength of their character and their personal abilities, not their gender.

Of course there are women who use the feminism movement as a platform to be unrealistic and to demand for what they don't deserve. Those ones should be ignored. However, we shouldn't dismiss the entire movement just because some people who claim to be a part of it either wholly misunderstand what they are supposed to be representing or are wilfully using it for their personal benefits. That would be tantamount to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Also, for those saying men also need to be treated equally on certain issues, I wholly agree. Issues like sexual harassment, domestic abuse and the likes on men are given less attention because we are expected to suck it up. In a way, feminism is fighting for that too - if men would also speak up about these things. Either we're all given the same treatment and attention or we all don't get any attention at all. Either way, equality is the baseline.

By the way, for those equating feminism to single life, you might want to know that Chimamanda is married and is still a feminist so check that view.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by alizma: 2:37pm On Mar 08, 2017
gemale:

A stupid person doesn't get a masters & honorary PhD 4rm John Hopkins University. A stupid person doesn't write books lyk "purple hibiscus" & "½ of a yellow sun". However a stupid person makes statements lyk d 1 u just made. & y? because som1 is asking 2 b treated equally & nt 2 b discriminated based on her sex. Only a man wt severe low self esteem believes dt women shld b subject 2 him.
you are saying all this because you want a woman to pay you groom price and marry abi is that not going to be part of the equal treatment?
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by katniss(f): 2:38pm On Mar 08, 2017
7Alexander:
Seun lalaaticlala, I'm still trying to understand why parts of the body like 'pënis and vagina' are automatically changed to joystick or whatever useless name.

Isnt it stupid that one can type 'leg, knee, head, finger' without it been changed, but can't use penis? There is no part of the body called 'joystick'

This is plain hypocrisy and childishness!!!

It will really be interesting to know the lame reason for this

So out of curiosity, I decided to type penis to see if it'll change
Modified: OK so now I'm playing... What if I type vagina? angry no change mscheww y won't there be feminists
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by JacksonD7: 2:39pm On Mar 08, 2017
Chimamanda is losing her respect real fast, first it was feminism now she added gay rights into the mix who knows what will come next.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by johnbuck81(m): 2:43pm On Mar 08, 2017
SACI:

Dude,really..?
A pussy as a cat(animal)
A dick as harry (human)
That u guys have a pole instead of a hole does make u "guys" superior to us.
my dear...u know from creation, God made men to be superior to women.how can u be treated like those with joysticks.i will never wish to be treated like d opposite gender. no matter how far and wide u go, u'll always come back to Tha joystick.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by oxon(m): 2:54pm On Mar 08, 2017
Timi141:
This is the readon why you and your female daughters will live and die in the kitchen. The constant search for male validation and not willing to stand up to challenge the status quo and fight for your equal rights. Well continue, more power to me the alpha male.
For the love guacomole even men are being subdue by other men ..there would never be anything like equal rights not for women or men alike .....
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by RosaConsidine: 3:00pm On Mar 08, 2017
oxon:
she is actually overrated the only reason she is getting this much publicity in the first place is because she is a woman , I know a lot of male writters in Africa who will beat her hands down when it come to literal prose but then no one has given em any recognition, because in a mans world just good does not cut it, actually excellence buys you the respect you need , if we are to take an equal stand then trust me she won't be this recognized... take yemi alade for example is she as good as the likes of brymo, dammy crane , but she's the one getting international recognition ..

Give a few examples of these men.

By the way, talking about Yemi Alade, you also have no point. Music is way more competitive amongst ladies than for guys right now. Okay, let's look abroad last year for the top rated artistes. Adele, Beyonce, Rihanna, Sia - to the point that Lady Gaga released an album and people barely noticed. And what were guys doing last year? I don't know because, asides Drake, it seems like the guys were only too happy to sit back and let whatever happens happen.

Nigerian male artistes mainly release crap songs without style, essence, content or lyrical value. Asides say 2baba, Darey and Mr. Eazi, I generally don't listen to Nigerian male artistes. Simi, Yemi Alade, Niniola, Seyi Shay, Omawunmi, ASA to name a few are all amazing and unique. The guys generally all sound the same and sing the same thing.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by RosaConsidine: 3:03pm On Mar 08, 2017
JacksonD7:
Chimamanda is losing her respect real fast, first it was feminism now she added gay rights into the mix who knows what will come next.

She's gaining respect elsewhere with people that matter. Yours doesn't really matter.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by donbenz(m): 3:04pm On Mar 08, 2017
Ok Nonsense angry
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by JacksonD7: 3:09pm On Mar 08, 2017
RosaConsidine:

She's gaining respect elsewhere with people that matter. Yours doesn't really matter.

She's also losing respect with people that matter. Your respect doesn't mean a thing.

1 Like

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by RosaConsidine: 3:20pm On Mar 08, 2017
JacksonD7:

She's also losing respect with people that matter. Your respect doesn't mean a thing.

Pained, are we? grin cheesy

Right now, my respect doesn't matter for her. I'm not the one handing her awards or inviting her for speaking engagements so I agree with you on that. But neither are you doing either so hey! Your lack of respect still doesn't matter to her! cheesy
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Apina(m): 3:29pm On Mar 08, 2017
TMDavidWest:

You see, I talked about "unconditional love", I did not talk about "Feminism". That's all I want to point out.
I believe when I said that aside, it goes to show that I was no longer addressing u but the crux of the matter at hand. And as I said, unconditional love is humanly impossible and guess what me, you, the fellow she addressed and every other human. being are incapable of it.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by TopGunFighter: 3:29pm On Mar 08, 2017
Rubbish Nigeria will soon give you biafra go an practice equality in gender there... fuckin lesbian.....

1 Like

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Scatterscatter(m): 3:30pm On Mar 08, 2017
RosaConsidine:

Too often, I see posts like these and I would just like to believe that they are made by people who don't understand the basic premise of feminism.

For starters, women run behind men in the face if danger? That happens but there are also men that run behind their women in the face if danger. There strong, bold, resilient women who would brave any circumstances even better than a lot of men would. Why should they be treated differently or as lesser creatures? Your gender is certaonly not what makes you smart, bold, courageous, strong, resilient or intelligent.

Sure, there are women who are only too happy to play the damsel in distress and leave their men to do everything "because I'm a woman". Those people are just plain lazy and I wouldn't marry such. While there certainly are differences between men and women generally (asides anatomy, of course!), these differences aren't a reason why women should be looked on as lesser creatures with inferior abilities. There are people who wouldn't give women jobs as engineers or scientists or even doctors or lawyers just because they are women. And that shouldn't be so. People should be treated based on the strength of their character and their personal abilities, not their gender.

Of course there are women who use the feminism movement as a platform to be unrealistic and to demand for what they don't deserve. Those ones should be ignored. However, we shouldn't dismiss the entire movement just because some people who claim to be a part of it either wholly misunderstand what they are supposed to be representing or are wilfully using it for their personal benefits. That would be tantamount to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Also, for those saying men also need to be treated equally on certain issues, I wholly agree. Issues like sexual harassment, domestic abuse and the likes on men are given less attention because we are expected to suck it up. In a way, feminism is fighting for that too - if men would also speak up about these things. Either we're all given the same treatment and attention or we all don't get any attention at all. Either way, equality is the baseline.

By the way, for those equating feminism to single life, you might want to know that Chimamanda is married and is still a feminist so check that view.

Mind you, when a man takes the bullet for the woman, he dies fulfilled and happy cos his main responsibility is to love, care and protect her and he has done this by Paying the ultimate sacrifice of laying down his life for her.
This is what his instinct and society tell him both in his conscious and subconscious.

After this been said, only a mad and cowardly Man will run behind a woman (except if she's a soldier sha), but trust me, Both the society and himself will come after him for the ACt and he will never forgive himself.

Secondly, no woman in her right senses will allow a man take over her kitchen all the time. Does that mean men shouldn't cook? No, but it is only appropriate to allow her do it with joy and happiness as it gives her a sense of fulfilment and responsibility cooking for the family.

I only gave those examples for you to know we both have areas in which we are to function. The more we fight for equality, the more inequality we create.

Rather than ascribe "female, girl, woman" etc, to the struggle why not make it open to all.
"fight sexual harassment of women in Nigeria"
"compulsory education for the girl child"
OR
"fight sexual harassment in Nigeria"
"compulsory education for all children"

Which of the above do you consider more genuine?

Let's just be sincere, we can never be equal as we both have our nature endowed strengths and responsibilities. Let's advocate for strict rules against any inhumane act towards any gender and race as this should be the main struggle.

Just to let you know, the feminist struggle is just a mirage, the main idea is to make women believe they are being cheated and trampled upon, to see themselves as not needing a man, it is also to make them believe they can stand alone and to throw caution to the wind anytime a man tries to exercise his authority.

The main idea is to destabilize the home at the end of the day.

"Life is eazi" when we all assume our nature endowed responsibilties and quit fighting for equality but rather fight for humanity.

1 Like

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Edwin111: 3:40pm On Mar 08, 2017
cremedelacreme:
Chimamanda I am one of your biggest fans but you are falling my hand lately with this your feminism stuff.
She is just doing all this to please white people.

1 Like

Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by RosaConsidine: 3:53pm On Mar 08, 2017
Scatterscatter:

Mind you, when a man takes the bullet for the woman, he dies fulfilled and happy cos his main responsibility is to love, care and protect her and he has done this by Paying the ultimate sacrifice of laying down his life for her.
This is what his instinct and society tell him both in his conscious and subconscious.

After this been said, only a mad and cowardly Man will run behind a woman (except if she's a soldier sha), but trust me, Both the society and himself will come after him for the ACt and he will never forgive himself.

Secondly, no woman in her right senses will allow a man take over her kitchen all the time. Does that mean men shouldn't cook? No, but it is only appropriate to allow her do it with joy and happiness as it gives her a sense of fulfilment and responsibility cooking for the family.

I only gave those examples for you to know we both have areas in which we are to function. The more we fight for equality, the more inequality we create.

Rather than ascribe "female, girl, woman" etc, to the struggle why not make it open to all.
"fight sexual harassment of women in Nigeria"
"compulsory education for the girl child"
OR
"fight sexual harassment in Nigeria"
"compulsory education for all children"

Which of the above do you consider more genuine?

Let's just be sincere, we can never be equal as we both have our nature endowed strengths and responsibilities. Let's advocate for strict rules against any inhumane act towards any gender and race as this should be the main struggle.

Just to let you know, the feminist struggle is just a mirage, the main idea is to make women believe they are being cheated and trampled upon, to see themselves as not needing a man, it is also to make them believe they can stand alone and to throw caution to the wind anytime a man tries to exercise his authority.

The main idea is to destabilize the home at the end of the day.

"Life is eazi" when we all assume our nature endowed responsibilties and quit fighting for equality but rather fight for humanity.

For one, society defined roles are the reason why a number of people are unhappy. If a man wants to stay at home and take care of the home, why should that be a problem if his wife has no problems with it? If a woman wants to be the breadwinner of the home, why should anyone have issues with it if her husband is not complaining. People should have the freedom to define their roles within society AND be respected for their choices. Nature endowed abilities and society defined roles are two different things. There are men that are better home makers than women and women who are better engineers, scientists or boardroom executives than men. As far as any couple is happy with the roles they play in their relationship, who is society to complain?

Yes there are differences between men and women but these differences shouldn't result in inequality between the sexes.

Feminists are saying on their part as women, they want equal treatment for men and women. If men want to start their own movement to demand for equality on issues that bother them, they should by all means feel free but feminists won't fight for men AND women, same way gay rights activists aren't fighting for civil rights. Demand for what you want not for yourself and someone else that is Fully capable to do that.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2017
johnbuck81:
but women dey wey get joystick. Na grin
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by bluaero(m): 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2017
gemale:

Do u know 1 problem u hv dt u need 2 urgently work on? Poor communication skills. In 6 sentences, u hv managed 2 simultaneously nt make a single point & veer off d topic @ hand. Instead of returning d insult u hurled @ me in ur last sentence, I choose 2 bring u back 2 D topic being discussed. U spoke abt feminism being behind high cases of divorce & single parenthood. I countered saying dt marriage was a union contract between 2 different bt equal parties & it's both d duty & responsibility of husband & wife 2 protect their marriage so if 1 party decides 2 sabotage dt Union, D oda party shldnt b blamed 4 leaving. My final sentence was a statement of my opinion dt any man who believe by virtue of his sex, he's supposed 2 Lord over a woman & treat her lyk a subordinate is d least of men. Ur subsequent rant showed dt I struck a nerve & dt u unfortunately fall in2 ds category. 4rm ur brownian motion-lyk rants, I gleaned dt u think dt cooking & doing house chores r beneath a man. FYI I've cooked, cleaned & washed my clothes as a single person & so hv many males. I dnt think dt makes any of us lesser men. So if I hv 2 do dt in marriage, wts d big deal? If my wife can wash my clothes, y can't I wash hers? Y can't I wash my children's clothes? Wld any member of my family fall sick & die if I do dt? If I don't want 2 do it, it wld b because I'm unwilling, lazy or exhausted nt because it's a taboo 4 a man 2 do it.

Dude, you did not strike any so-called nerve. If you choose to be an effeminate man, that's entirely your decision. All animals understand the fact that a male and a female in a union have different roles - this does not mean that either party is the "lesser" entity. In humankind, when a man and a woman come together they instinctively take on their roles in the family. You know the roles i'm talking about. These roles do not make anyone lesser than the other. The exponential increase in effeminate men and feminist women is doing a good job in destroying these once naturally stable unions. Most of these "feminists" are women that have had failed relationships and in order to feel better about themselves, influence other women to think they are better off without men. My advise to feminists is not to get married so that they don't stress themselves or their husbands - but they should keep their ideology to themselves and not poison the minds of women who desire to have a happy and stable home.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2017
Speedyconnect7:
trash talker
no mind her, na preek she dey find, real african prick, no b dat oyibo own wey dey service her
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2017
Have we all sat down to really think what Feminism is all about. To me "It's a psychological thing". A woman wants to be important, wants to get known, wants to be at theforefront. But she been confronted by what the society has conformed to of Men been superior, this hinders her and makes her think even if I do all that I could possibly do. I won't match up. Hence if i play Feminism card, i will be accepted on that basis.It's like been in a trance while u think u sleeping. Women should wake up, life is short, work as much as u can, no one can stop u from getting or achieving as much as a man can.It's all on the mindset. " Acceptance and Vulnerability ".
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by OkuFaba(m): 4:10pm On Mar 08, 2017
I cant relate with this, treating a woman like she has dick is like saying we all should be gay... I'm okay with the virgina biko keep your thoughts to ur self
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by alaskido(m): 4:14pm On Mar 08, 2017
This woman take your time o make I no give you electronic slap. You want dick abi? Go buy am for market now. That is why you all have refused to marry abi?
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by UncleJudax(m): 4:21pm On Mar 08, 2017
TMDavidWest:

Sadly... Believing that is why "conditional love" still thrives.
quid pro quo is the rule. any other is exception. life/love is what we have made it.
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by akigbemaru: 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2017
CHIDIMA feminism at work!
Re: Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie by Mathemagician1(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2017
This Feminism thing is funny af. Gender equality is good until some group of women are about to be shipped out to Sambisa forest to fight against Boko Haram alongside their male counterpart.

Women can't compete with men at football, boxing, cycling etc etc. They cannot even compete at table tennis for God's sake. Yet they want equality from men.

Very funny.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Finally; Wole Soyinka Confirms He Destroyed His Green Card. / Trapped By Passion (18+) / Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.