Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord (2491 Views)

Is Oral And Anal Sex Spiritually Hygienic In Christian Marriages??? / The Sage Dr. Myles Munroe Goes Home To Rest In The Bossom Of The Lord. / Rw Schambach, Firm Preacher Of Righteousness Goes Home At 85 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by 0hsisi: 1:15am On Dec 16, 2009
Oral Roberts Dead At 91

Source
TULSA, OK -- Founder of ORU, Oral Roberts, has died at the age of 91 due to complications from pneumonia. Below is the full text from the Press Release sent out.

PRESS RELEASE:

Dr. Oral Roberts, a legendary evangelist who rose from humble beginnings to become one of the most influential Christian leaders of the 20th century, died today in Newport Beach, Calif., due to complications from pneumonia. His son, Richard, and daughter, Roberta, were at his side. The founder of Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association and Oral Roberts University was 91.

There will be a private family internment. Arrangements for a public memorial service in Tulsa are pending and will be announced soon.

“Oral Roberts was the greatest man of God I’ve ever known,” Richard Roberts said. “A modern-day apostle of the healing ministry, an author, educator, evangelist, prophet, and innovator, he was the only man of his generation to build a worldwide ministry, an accredited university, and a medical school.

“Beloved husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, he was not only my earthly father; he was my spiritual father and mentor. The last member of his generation in the Roberts family, he had a passion to bring healing to the sick.

“His name is synonymous with miracles. He came along when many in Christendom did not believe in the power of God and His goodness. Oral Roberts was known for sayings such as ‘God Is a Good God,’ ‘Expect a Miracle,’ ‘Release Your Faith,’ and ‘Plant Your Seed for a Harvest.’

“The Bible teaches that when a Christian dies, he or she is instantly transferred into the presence of God. The past few months, my father has talked about going home to be with the Lord on a daily basis. He has run his race and finished his course. Now he is in heaven, and we as Christians have the Bible promise that someday we will be reunited. My heart is sad, but my faith in God is soaring.”

Granville Oral Roberts was born into poverty in Bebee, Okla., on Jan. 24, 1918. He began stuttering as a young child and then, as a teenager, contracted a potentially deadly case of tuberculosis. Bedfast at 17, he was carried to a revival meeting by his older brother, where a healing evangelist was praying for the sick.

On the way, he clearly heard God speak to him, saying, “Son, I am going to heal you, and you are to take My healing power to your generation. You are to build Me a university based on My authority and on the Holy Spirit.”

Roberts was miraculously healed of tuberculosis and stuttering at the revival meeting. His healing ministry was born several years later. “If a former stuttering, tuberculosis-ridden young Indian boy in an obscure county in Oklahoma can see the invisible and do the impossible—and still do it—so can you!” Roberts once said.

Roberts was a legendary and beloved figure in a segment of Christianity that emphasizes healing, speaking in tongues, and other gifts of the Holy Spirit, as described in the New Testament.

Dr. Jack Hayford, president of the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel, said of Roberts, “If God had not, in His sovereign will, raised up the ministry of Oral Roberts, the entire charismatic movement might not have occurred. Oral shook the landscape with the inescapable reality and practicality of Jesus’ whole ministry. His teaching and concepts were foundational to the renewal that swept through the whole church. He taught concepts that spread throughout the world and simplified and focused a spiritual lifestyle that is embraced by huge sectors of today’s church.”

After his healing at age 17, Roberts spent a dozen years pastoring churches in Oklahoma and Georgia, and preaching at revivals around the country, while also studying at Oklahoma Baptist University and Phillips (Okla.) University.

Then, in 1947, he founded Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association (OREA) and began conducting crusades across America and around the world, attracting crowds of thousands—many who were sick and dying, and in search of healing. Through the years, he conducted more than 300 crusades on six continents. OREA officials estimate that he personally laid hands in prayer on more than 2 million people. The ministry continues under the leadership of Roberts’ son, Richard, who has ministered in the U.S. and around the world for almost 30 years.

In 1954, Oral Roberts revolutionized evangelism by bringing television cameras into services, providing what he liked to call a “front-row seat to miracles” for millions of viewers. Years later, he began a television program, "Oral Roberts Presents." More than 50 years later, the ministry’s daily program, "The Place for Miracles," continues to minister to millions on over 100 television stations, multiple cable and satellite networks, and can be seen around the world via the Internet.

In 1958, Roberts founded the Abundant Life Prayer Group to address the around-the-clock needs of those suffering and requesting prayer. More than 50 years later, prayer partners continue to receive calls from around the world seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Over the years, they have received more than 23 million phone calls for prayer, along with astounding reports of miracles in answer to prayer.

Roberts answered God’s call to build an institute of higher learning in 1963, founding Oral Roberts University on 500 acres in Tulsa, Okla. Longtime friend Billy Graham officially dedicated ORU four years later. In the 1970s graduate schools, including Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, Law, Education, and Theology, were added. Roberts served as school president until 1993, when he became chancellor.

In 1981, Roberts founded the City of Faith Medical and Research Center, merging the healing power of medicine and prayer. The facility closed after eight years, leaving a lasting impact on the understanding by many medical professionals of the importance of treating the whole person—body, mind and spirit.

Roberts wrote more than 130 books, including such classics as "If You Need Healing, Do These Things," and "The Fourth Man." His book "The Miracle of Seed Faith" has more than 8 million copies in circulation. This book’s key principles—God is your Source, sow your seed out of your need, and expect a miracle harvest—formed a fundamental part of Roberts’ ministry and legacy.

“After I’m gone, others will have to judge how well I’ve obeyed God’s command not to be an echo but to be a voice like Jesus,” Roberts said. “As far as my own conviction is concerned, I’ve tried to be that voice with every fiber of my being, regardless of the cost.”

Roberts was preceded in death by his wife, Evelyn, a daughter and son-in-law, Rebecca Ann and Marshall Nash; a son, Ronald David Roberts; a grandchild, Richard Oral Roberts; his mother and father; two sisters, Velma Roberts and Jewel Faust; and two brothers, Elmer and Vaden Roberts.

He is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, Richard and Lindsay Roberts; a daughter and son-in-law, Roberta and Ronald Potts, all of Tulsa; as well as 12 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Oral Roberts Ministry Healing Missions Fund, as part of the ongoing goal of Oral Roberts Ministries to take the saving, healing, delivering message of the Gospel into all the world until Jesus returns. Gifts can be sent in care of Oral Roberts Ministries, P.O. 2187, Tulsa, Okla. 74102, or online at www.OralRoberts.com.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by noetic15(m): 1:20am On Dec 16, 2009
osisi where have thou been? cheesy shocked
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by mamagee3(f): 1:39am On Dec 16, 2009
May his soul rest in Peace! cry
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 1:53am On Dec 16, 2009
I thought the foolish man was a healer? Why didn't he heal himself instead ran to the hospital when he broke down with pnemonia.

This is bad PR. . .a faith healer died in the hospital. . .how ironic.

What other hint do these mugus need to know miracles dont exist, eh?
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 1:56am On Dec 16, 2009
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by OgidiBoy(m): 1:59am On Dec 16, 2009
Tudór:

I thought the foolish man was a healer? Why didn't he heal himself instead ran to the hospital when he broke down with pnemonia.

Make sure you don't go outside with it's thundering and lighting shocked shocked shocked

Hey nice picture. kiss
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by bawomolo(m): 2:12am On Dec 16, 2009
Tudór:

oh goodness, your profile picture is blinding me.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 2:21am On Dec 16, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Make sure you don't go outside with it's thundering and lighting shocked shocked shocked

Easy, if anything happens i'd run to the nearest hospital. . . .thats where all these healer pastors run to for healing these days, aint it?

Hey nice picture. kiss
Thanks
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 2:23am On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

oh goodness, your profile picture is blinding me.
keep your eyes closed. . .its what my boyfriend wants anyway. . . cheesy
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by ruffrider(f): 2:52am On Dec 16, 2009
what in the undecided angryyou got some nerves ofidiboy
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Atheists: 3:04am On Dec 16, 2009

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Oral Roberts Ministry Healing Missions Fund, as part of the ongoing goal of Oral Roberts Ministries to take the saving, healing, delivering message of the Gospel into all the world until Jesus returns. Gifts can be sent in care of Oral Roberts Ministries, P.O. 2187, Tulsa, Okla. 74102, or online at www.OralRoberts.com.

Donations grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Yisraylite(m): 3:17am On Dec 16, 2009
@Tudor

grin grin grin grin grin LMAO!!!!!!!

Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord

Which Lord? The Lord of the Flies or the Lord of The Rings,How about the landlord or the war Lord, Who the heck is this Lord? Is he one of the Lords that works in the house of Commons? or is he the Lord of the dance grin

Silly emotional christians! who witnessed this going home event? Can any of these people bet their lives that this Dude is in Heaven?

Psa 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are YAHAWAH's: but the earth has He given to the children of men  undecided
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by ruffrider(f): 3:55am On Dec 16, 2009
Whatever, I am not the judge of who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. But where is the respect? No respect for the dead. Let God be the judge, not you. You have no power, who are you to judge
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 4:19am On Dec 16, 2009
^^
What respect?
When a lying fraud dies he deserves no respect. Similarly in the military, when a dishonorable officer is dead he gets no military funeral.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by OgidiBoy(m): 4:24am On Dec 16, 2009
I thought Oral Robert was a well respected evangelist, what's with all the negative things I'm hearing?
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 4:48am On Dec 16, 2009
Check out his antics here then you'd know pastor roberts was a deranged mad man
http://www.politicalbyline.com/2009/04/08/the-reading-room-recent-pentecostal-scandals/
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by bawomolo(m): 5:20am On Dec 16, 2009
In 1977 ORAL ROBERTS claimed that God had appeared to him and instructed him to build a medical center called the CITY OF FAITH. In 1980 he claimed that he had a “face to face” conversation with a 900-foot-tall Jesus who told him that he was going to solve the City of Faith financial problems. Seven years later, Roberts said that God had appeared to him yet again and told him that he would die if he did not raise $8 million within 12 months. The wild-eyed visions and unrelenting appeals could not save the City of Faith. In 1989 Roberts closed it to pay off debts! Yet the Pentecostal world in general did not decry Roberts as a false prophet and a religious phony. Thousands continued to flock to ORU from Pentecostal churches across the country, and millions of dollars continued to flow into Roberts’ ministry from gullible supporters.

lol he did build a University with his loot similar to pastors in a certain African country.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Nobody: 6:16am On Dec 16, 2009
Tudór:

who's the mugu here?

you perhaps for assuming a 91 year old man should live forever?

oooh, your profile picture is sooooo sexy btw shocked shocked  shocked I see some gayish males are salivating over it already.

some men and their ability to bonk anything.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 7:21am On Dec 16, 2009
tpia.:

who's the mugu here?

you perhaps for assuming a 91 year old man should live forever?

Did he have to die of pneumonia? In a hospital? Desperately seeking medical hel? For a self-acclaimed faith healer? Haba

oooh, your profile picture is sooooo sexy btw shocked shocked  shocked I see some gayish males are salivating over it already.
some men and their ability to bonk anything.
What is gay about my pic. . .i'm no lesbian
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by uchkochi(m): 7:39am On Dec 16, 2009
he lived 91 with christ,u that is criticising him how long will u live without christ.the great man has gone to be with the lord,and he is not even dead he still lives in the hearts of millions forever
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 7:53am On Dec 16, 2009
^^
Keep deceiving yourself. The USA maggots union are already preparing to devour his greedy lying ass.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by echobee(f): 8:12am On Dec 16, 2009
may the lord grant him rest
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 16, 2009
Tudór:

Did he have to die of pneumonia? In a hospital? Desperately seeking medical hel? For a self-acclaimed faith healer? Haba
What is gay about my pic. . .i'm no lesbian

you'd prefer he grew wings and ascended up to heaven surrounded by yodelling cherubs for your benefit no doubt. All caught on tv.

you watch too much fantasy
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 10:16am On Dec 16, 2009
tpia.:

you'd prefer he grew wings and ascended up to heaven surrounded by yodelling cherubs for your benefit no doubt. All caught on tv.

you watch too much fantasy
Whatever happened to taking him home in peace and glory rather than dying of pneumonia in a hospital like an ethiopian refugee.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by ruffrider(f): 2:44pm On Dec 16, 2009
Tudor, you sound like you have something against the USA. I am not a Oral Roberts fan, but I think we should have some respect for the man of God. You sound like you don't believe in Jesus Christ anyway. I for one, am not a man follower, but a Jesus follower. IF Oral Robert never met my expectation, oh well, he is human just like me.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 2:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
^^
I say this not in insult but out of love and sisterly concern. . . .you need to have your head examined.

How in the world did you conclude I have something against the USA?
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 2:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
^^
I say this not in insult but out of love and sisterly concern. . . .you need to have your head examined.

How in the world did you conclude I have something against the USA?
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by richjohn1(m): 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2009
Tudor how many times this guy come your school, I think I attended one of your services one day I came to CU 2c my fiancee, was it he or his son that came I cant remember. Please help me tell them he's fake I grew with our family library filled with his books even as I boy I knew he was a crook! I dont know who's worse between him and Copeland, I think copeland comes to your school too, I sorry for christians empty emotions and deceit no go kill them.
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by toneyb: 3:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
In 1977 ORAL ROBERTS claimed that God had appeared to him and instructed him to build a medical center called the CITY OF FAITH. In 1980 he claimed that he had a “face to face” conversation with a 900-foot-tall Jesus who told him that he was going to solve the City of Faith financial problems. Seven years later, Roberts said that God had appeared to him yet again and told him that he would die if he did not raise $8 million within 12 months. The wild-eyed visions and unrelenting appeals could not save the City of Faith. In 1989 Roberts closed it to pay off debts! Yet the Pentecostal world in general did not decry Roberts as a false prophet and a religious phony. Thousands continued to flock to ORU from Pentecostal churches across the country, and millions of dollars continued to flow into Roberts’ ministry from gullible supporters.

What's wrong with these preachers grin. Give Yahweh $8 million or die. grin
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by Tudor6(f): 3:44pm On Dec 16, 2009
@rich john
I think I remember seeing oral roberts and that homosexual pastor ted haggard. . . I cant remember copeland. He might as well had come and I missed it because I was an expert when it came to church truancy grin
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by PurestBoy(m): 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2009
Tudór:

@rich john
I think I remember seeing oral roberts and that homosexual pastor ted haggard. . . I cant remember copeland. He might as well had come and I missed it because I was an expert when it came to church truancy grin

Man u don dey kolo oo, dis one no be small thin oo
Re: Oral Roberts Goes Home To Be With The Lord by KennyG6(m): 5:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
Sad, may his soul rest in peace. His course completed, sojourn here on earth over, to his maker he returns to give account of how he spent the brief time he was afforded on earth. Now there can be no replay or repeats, no 2nd chance, for all those who are quick to judge the man, just consider that whether he was a fraud or a faithful man he is at this moment before his maker, something we all will face someday, unfortunately there is no guarantee we'd live up to 91 years,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Megachurches, Liberia And S/leon Needs Your Financial Help. / Why Did God Allow Some People To Still Suffer Despite Being Devoted / Insecurity: Pastor Pulls Up To Church With His Gun In Ilorin, Kwara (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.