Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:03 PM

Would You Take A Low Paying Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Would You Take A Low Paying Job? (441 Views)

Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next / Top 5 High Paying Side Hustles For Working Class People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Would You Take A Low Paying Job? by assisttohire: 10:32am On Mar 14, 2017
WOULD YOU TAKE A LOW PAYING JOB?

After several years (months if you are lucky) of being unemployed, you finally get invited for an interview and get a job offer. Then you are called to discuss your terms of employment and you are offered 20, 000 naira salary. It is normal to be disappointed, anybody would be. After working so hard at school and spending so much money. However, if you think you should immediately reject the job, offer, think again.

Granted, you should know your worth and try to negotiate. If you are still not satisfied, by all means, please walk away. However, there are circumstances in which taking a low paying job could pay off in the long run. Here are reasons why accepting a low paying job might not be a bad decision in the long run.

What is your worth as an employee? : Ask yourself if you really have skills that can fetch a high paying job. If the answer is no, take the job and work on acquiring more skills so that you can apply for better-paying jobs.

Your cost of living: If you are still staying with your parents, chances are you have a reduced cost of living. Your parents probably bear the cost of feeding, rent, and other necessities.

Meet New People: Leaving your comfort zone and networking is probably one of the best ways to get a job. By stepping out every day, you meet new people even at your place of work.

Career Growth: Ask the person who is interviewing you if there is room for career advancement. Have people who filled that role in the past been promoted? Many career plans require starting at the bottom and moving up the ladder. Your employer may have other better-paid positions that you could be suitable for, and larger companies often promote from within.

Experience: Employers prefer to employ someone who has experience in that field. think about the things you will learn on the job. The low paying job could end up getting you your dream job in the long run. As a fresh graduate with zero experience, it will take sheer luck to get a high paying job. Use the job to build your portfolio. It will be to your advantage to have some experience under your belt. use this as an opportunity to learn transferable skills from your superiors

Do you see a future in the company? : Do you care about the job? are you passionate about the company’s mission? Do you see the company growing and going far? If your answer is yes, taking a low paying job might be a good idea.

So would you accept a job offer of 20,000 naira a month? Or would you reject it and continue your job search?

Let's discuss!

For more career advice, go to assisttohire.com/blog

1 Share

Re: Would You Take A Low Paying Job? by Negotiate: 11:57am On Mar 14, 2017
I won't.

Knowing my worth is not pride.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Allow Me To Ask You This Simple Question About Your Career / Facts Of Life To Learn Everyday Life / Let's Look At This Statistics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.