Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,454 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable (6997 Views)

APC Senators Attack Saraki, Reject Change In Election Timetable / 2019 General Election Timetable Is Out (Photo) / #EndSARS: Senate Backs Call For Police SARS Scrapping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by sharpden: 2:13pm On Mar 14, 2017
THE Senate Committee on INEC has said it will support the 2019 election timetable recently released by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Chairman of the committee, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume (APC, Borno South) disclosed this on Tuesday while answering questions from journalists in Abuja on INEC’s early release of the 2019 general elections timetable.

Ndume said the Commission was doing the right thing by setting out target for elections so that it can be well prepared when the election proper takes place. He said he personally encouraged the commission to start early when its leadership.

He said: “When I took over as the chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, I personally encouraged INEC to start preparing for 2019 now. When I looked at the budget of the INEC, I discovered that there was no provision for the 2019 election.

“I advised them to make provision for the 2019 election so that such items that are not sensitive and not perishable can be procured in time. It is not good for us to wait until a day or two to the election then we start running helter-skelter for the materials such as the data capture machine or another thing that should be in place.

“I personally believe that this INEC wants to improve on what has been done before and all encouragement and support should be given to them. So, let’s give them a chance.”

Ndume added that, this present government is determined to conduct a credible,free and fair elections, adding that the amendment of the Electoral Act in the National Assembly would give the Electoral Reform committee headed by Senator Ken Nnamani set up by the executive arm of government to come up with acceptable reforms that will take care of some loopholes.

“I know that the President and this government is determined to conduct a credible election because it is the government that has been shouting that the election was not credible and truly elections were not credible except the last one that met minimum acceptability.

“For the Senate, we only have two clauses left to conclude the amendment of the electoral Act. We have gone very far. In fact, I can say that I am the one that slowed the committee down because we have to do it together with the House and the executive has formed a Committee under the chairmanship of Nnamani, so let us work together in order to come up with generally acceptable reform that takes care of some of the loopholes,” he said.

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/03/2019-election-senate-backs-inec-on-election-timetable/

1 Like

Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by omowolewa: 2:16pm On Mar 14, 2017
Theyy got no choice
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by SUPOL(m): 2:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
A Politician that has never done human sacrifice, Is that one a Politician?

1 Like

Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by Alleviating: 2:43pm On Mar 14, 2017
undecided

Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 14, 2017
Good. Let's Plan Ahead!

Kindly check my signature below!
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by chakula: 2:45pm On Mar 14, 2017
It is a time of panic to them.
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by wellmax(m): 2:46pm On Mar 14, 2017
God Bless Nigeria
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2017
Most importantly start registration of those eligible to vote on time.

Many are yet to have a voter's card.

Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2017
no viable opposition. Stuck with PMB till 20123
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by MichaelUweh(m): 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2017
I declare my support for ATIKU ABUBAKAR for PRESIDENT 2019.....
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by emi14: 3:36pm On Mar 14, 2017
2019 election timetable out. Last election's promises not fulfilled. No timetable for economic revival and subsequent recovery. Another false hope very imminent. What convincing lies are they..politicians.. going to tell the hungry and disappointed masses. Chief Tiunbu are you taking your children back to north or have you realised that south your home can do better in less than two months what your perfect masters could not do in two years? Better think before you talk this time. Not time for ethnic revenge and related sentiments. Hope your sanity have been recalled? Competence should be your watchword.
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by MrGreenMavro: 3:36pm On Mar 14, 2017
angry
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by ddippset(m): 3:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
People don't like the apc anymore but they are stuck with it cus PDP is not an option, it's a vomit which must never be returned to.
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by emeka2847: 5:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
So 2019 will come and go without a single electoral reform by Buhari? It's a pity.
Re: 2019 Election: Senate Backs INEC On Election Timetable by guychidile: 6:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
I'm watching.

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna Curfew: The True Story Of Events Leading To The Violence / Oshiomhole’s Corruption File Found In Magu’s House, EFCC Prepares To Arrest Him / Akwa Ibom: FG Recommences Payment Of N20,000 To Vulnerable Homes In 9 LGAs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.