Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw (41128 Views)

Governor Wike Storms Mile 1 Market. See What He Did (Photos) / Nkechi Ikpeazu's Convoy Had A Fatal Accident, 2 Confirmed Dead, Others Injured / ‘december Spending Boosts Lagos Economy By N50b’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by hahn(m): 12:18pm On Mar 20, 2017
Man2utd:

Because the other states are vision less, especially ogun state who is not taking advantage of its proximity to lagos state. If the roads were in good shape and the hours you spend on the road is reduced, ogun state will see a surge in development and the government will become richer.

I live in Ogun state and I must say that the state government is overtly useless and visionless

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by LRNZH(m): 2:28pm On Mar 20, 2017
obailala:
The main purpose of Eko Atlantic was to prevent the ocean from swallowing the entire VI; a disaster which was rapidly unfolding prior to 2006. Eko Atlantic in itself is a barrier wall to prevent the ocean encroachment. I wouldn't know, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the land being reclaimed today is previous land which was eroded by the ocean over the years because there wasn't a proper embankment; and with the current embankment put in place, it somehow gets to divert the ocean surge away from the city (as should have always been the case).

I'm not an expert but dont you think your concerns must have been exhaustively considered during the conceptual and detailed design phases of this project?... Would investors just sink billions of dollars without giving these things a thought?

Did you read the article at all?

It is not the Eko Atlantic that is at risk but the surrounding islands (Lekki and Snake Islands for e.g.).
The investors won't care.much about that so long as Eko Atlantic is protected.

3 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 20, 2017
waste of funds. there is no more free looting to fund this project as during GEJ regime
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by obailala(m): 3:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
Gloryfox:
waste of funds. there is no more free looting to fund this project as during GEJ regime
Are you aware the project is funded by private individuals like yourself and not government?

7 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by vabok(m): 3:16pm On Mar 20, 2017
Nature they say abhors a vacuum.
I have always maintained that the vacuum created by dredging sand from one part of the ocean will have to be compensated by another part of the lnd being swallowed up.
That's just nature for you and make the project totally wrong.
The Lagos state govenment should have moved towards Epe to decongest the Island
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 20, 2017
obailala:
Are you aware the project is funded by private individuals like yourself and not government?
private individual of which majority got it from looted funds, these are known facts. i currently work near that axis. work has been slow. even the sand filling is not complete yet

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by scachy(m): 3:18pm On Mar 20, 2017
Cities with dry lands like Dubai are constructing artificial water canals to attract tourists and beautify their city. But Nigeria that has land in abundance ignored it n instead they're chasing after "white elephant project" in the name reclaiming lands from the sea. When we have lots of pressing issues to address. "Misplaced priority"

2 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by hardbody: 3:19pm On Mar 20, 2017
davidif:

Hahaha you truly don't know much about oceanography do you? Nature always prevails in the end.

All I know is that in the fullness of time, water go find hin former level. I know nothing about Oceanography or even Geography but I have always rationalized that water occupies a certain volume space. If we keep compressing that space (as we are doing with reclamations) a time will come when the water will burst at the seams to find its former space. I only pray i wont be drinking beer around bar beach that day. It will come with such a burst and fury that everything on its way will go down, i mean everything.

2 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by stagger: 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2017
Chagoury's again? With the roles these C & C brothers played in the Abacha regime, should they not have been languishing in some jail house by now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by odimbannamdi(m): 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2017
Nigeria's problem have always been man-made, now we want to create natural disasters/problems for ourselves?

Of all the challenges facing Nigeria, the least significant is scarcity of lands, despite our teeming population. Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria in terms of land space, but the has the highest population in Africa. There are some states in Nigeria that are soo large that the distance between two closest towns is over 5hours.

How about coming up with infrastructural policies to encourage industrialization in those states, thus urging people to emigrate out of Lagos?? Na water we dem him own jeje na im una wan go disturb

And it's not like the Eko Atlantic will be pocket-friendly to inhabit or even work in when it is completed. I am almost sure that it is only the wealthy that will be able to live there.

Misplaced priority have always been our problem.

Meanwhile, check out the beautiful loafers i have got for sale

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by ITbomb(m): 3:26pm On Mar 20, 2017
These Lebanese are looking for ways to do business in Nigeria without being with Nigerians, they want their business as far from mainland as possible where they can ship in anything.

What happened to the large landmass along Lagos Ore road

2 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by mmsen: 3:26pm On Mar 20, 2017
Amberon:
Exactly! There's something inherently wrong Nigeria and it's leaders. Is there nobody of vision who can bring up the initiative of decongesting Lagos by carrying out meaningful projects in other states?

Calabar > Lagos.

A lot of meaningful projects have been built in Cross River state.

And it is more secure than Lagos.

With the way people do business online there's no reason why you need to be in Lagos 7 days a week.

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 20, 2017
Everyone just wanna talk... Someone presented a one-sided argument, and we so quick to condemn a project that must taken an unprecedented amount of thought processes from the best in the world.

Who amongst you has read, seen or heard about the master plan?

Answer that question before you start thinking "Yes, I knew it was a bad idea"

Bunch of ITKs

10 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2017
grin whatever, am far way from the sea, impact am currently in the desert.

But you know fefol aint that stufid, they most have thought about all dis b4 dishing out billions of naira for them island
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by SuperStriker: 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2017
Very interesting topic.
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by mmsen: 3:28pm On Mar 20, 2017
beatzone:
Everyone just wanna talk... Someone presented a one-sided argument, and we so quick to condemn a project that must taken an unprecedented amount of thought processes from the best in the world.

Who amongst you has read, seen or heard about the master plan?

Answer that question before you start thinking "Yes, I knew it was a bad idea"

Bunch of ITKs

Nigerians are very quick to think the worst of themselves as a collective.

Notice all the 'when will Africans learn' comments.

Self-hatred is Nigeria's most popular creed and biggest curse.

Learn to love yourself and you will stop self-harming.

12 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2017
stagger:
Chagoury's again? With the roles these C & C brothers played in the Abacha regime, should they not have been languishing in some jail house by now?

Who encouraged them to play that 'role'?

If the present govt tells them..."look, it's not business as usual", you think any investor can short change us?

They are not the problem - WE ARE!
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by kd11: 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2017
Its a pity we have many ignorant people on this forum. You need to first understand that this project was initiated to benefit Lagos both physically and economically. Secondly, the land reclaimed was basically the old bar beach we had in the 80's that had be claimed by the ocean. Furthermore, if this project was not initiated, most parts of Victoria island would have been submerged because V.I is already lower than the sea level. I don't even want to mention the economic benefit of this project to Lagos and Nigeria as a whole or the stakeholders and the funding. You can say this project is robbing Peter to pay Paul, in terms of where the water will be directed to, but maritime reports shows all these areas are susceptible to being submerged in the nearest future. This is really a proactive approach. Its about which area should be saved first. I guess the investors chose the more economic viable one.

5 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 20, 2017
mmsen:

People are very quick to think the worst of themselves.

Notice all the 'when will Africans learn' comments.

Self-hatred is Nigeria's biggest creed and curse.

Learn to love yourself and you will stop self-harming.

Exactly!!! If they had seen this done in Ghana, these same people will here putting down there own govt.

It is just pathetic, the present minds that call themselves EDUCATED YOUTHS...

8 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 20, 2017
The level of ignorance is quite troubling and endemic.. I'm scared for my kids!

kd11:
Its a pity we have many ignorant people on this forum. You need to first understand that this project was initiated to benefit Lagos both physically and economically. Secondly, the land reclaimed was basically the old bar beach we had in the 80's that had be claimed by the ocean. Furthermore, if this project was not initiated, most parts of Victoria island would have been submerged because V.I is already lower than the sea level. I don't even want to mention the economic benefit of this project to Lagos and Nigeria as a whole or the stakeholders and the funding. You can say this project is robbing Peter to pay Paul, in terms of where the water will be directed to, but maritime reports shows all these areas are susceptible to being submerged in the nearest future. This is really a proactive approach. Its about which area should be saved first. I guess the investors chose the more economic viable one.

3 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by seyi360(m): 3:34pm On Mar 20, 2017
Jiang:
grin whatever, am far way from the sea, impact am currently in the desert.

But you know fefol aint that stufid, they most have thought about all dis b4 dishing out billions of naira for them island

watch out for scorpions in your desert
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Amberon: 3:36pm On Mar 20, 2017
Exactly... I personally don't like Lagos because of overpopulation.
mmsen:

Calabar > Lagos.

A lot of meaningful projects have been built in Cross River state.

And it is more secure than Lagos.

With the way people do business online there's no reason why you need to be in Lagos 7 days a week.
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by obailala(m): 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2017
LRNZH:

Did you read the article at all?

It is not the Eko Atlantic that is at risk but the surrounding islands (Lekki and Snake Islands for e.g.).
The investors won't care.much about that so long as Eko Atlantic is protected.
But that's still the same thing we say, the eko atlantic wall is meant to protect the already built up Lagos Island which was being eaten up rapidly by the ocean. What would you have rather had the masterminds do?.... Allow the ocean to swallow up the already built-up economic centre of V.I because you want to save Snake island?..

While it's always a difficult thing to fight nature, what would you rather have man do?... Sit and watch as nature swallows him?... Should the Lagos govt. had stood and watched as V.I is swallowed?... Like I said before, even though the response of these things are difficult to predict and engineer, I'm sure a lot of civil, marine and environmental studies must have been done before the commencement of the project. For now, we can all only be optimistic.

3 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by obailala(m): 3:47pm On Mar 20, 2017
Gloryfox:
private individual of which majority got it from looted funds, these are known facts. i currently work near that axis. work has been slow. even the sand filling is not complete yet
So what exactly is your suggestion?... That the project shouldn't have been done?.. I'm not sure I get your drift.

2 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 20, 2017
davidif:

Bros, I raised this issue on nairaland back in 2017 that Lagos was sinking but I guess it was not as important as D'Banj's new record or Omotola's new movie so it didn't make the front page. Too bad.

https://www.nairaland.com/479070/lagos-sinking#6385159

You mean 2007?
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by okwyee(m): 3:51pm On Mar 20, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
Even if they are not building eko atlantic, lagos will continue to sink and will keep losing lands to ocean every year.

You talked about 4th mainland bridge, do you know how much in properties that's gonna cost lagos now imagine siting eko atlantic in let's mainland?

Ocean will fight and humans will continue to fight back. We have been fighting against nature from inception, that's how our specie has been able to survive this long.

Lol, you're very funny, the human race is just 1.5M years old and we are already having severe environmental problems, where as dinosaurs existed for 50M years plus.. Just so you know, we haven't gotten far and already nearing danger, from environmental degradation to terrorism, coupled with the negative effects of massive industrialization.
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 20, 2017
Gentrification at it's finest. The gentrification going on in Lagos nowadays is phenomenal
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by davidif: 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2017
alignacademy:

You mean 2007?

And so? Is it less timely?
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Cutealexio(m): 4:12pm On Mar 20, 2017
The brain behind the project is a private body so I think we shouldn't blame the state government for misplacement of priorities. The 4th mainland Bridge on the other hand is funded fully be the state government. You made a point that Africans are not ripe for "reclaiming an ocean" but what I know is that the contractors are expatriates. The author of the column didn't see any error in the project he only suggested that the other islands should be also protecteted just as they've done for Atlantic city

While I commend the Lagos State Government for having the initiative to take on massive projects like this, it was obvious to me that the Eko Atlantic project had a fatal flaw.

We in Africa are not ripe for reclaiming an ocean. Not even cities like New Orleans that are around sea level take on sea reclamation projects. The Dutch who excel at this are world masters in marine engineering.

Another venturesome thing in Lagos is the sandfilling of the Lagoon for housing projects like Orange Island, etc.
Water is being drained through these areas that we humans are now distorting without understanding the long term impact.

Lagos should have focused on completing the 4th Mainland Bridge and on how to build a new set of cities on land in areas that will be connected by the new bridge instead of trying to dominate its waters.[/b]

Cc: Lalasticlala; Mynd44[/quote]
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Cutealexio(m): 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
[The brain behind the project is a private body so I think we shouldn't blame the state government for misplacement of priorities. The 4th mainland Bridge on the other hand is funded fully be the state government. You made a point that Africans are not ripe for "reclaiming an ocean" but what I know is that the contractors are expatriates. The author of the column didn't see any error in the project he only suggested that the other islands should be also protecteted just as they've done for Atlantic city

While I commend the Lagos State Government for having the initiative to take on massive projects like this, it was obvious to me that the Eko Atlantic project had a fatal flaw.

We in Africa are not ripe for reclaiming an ocean. Not even cities like New Orleans that are around sea level take on sea reclamation projects. The Dutch who excel at this are world masters in marine engineering.

Another venturesome thing in Lagos is the sandfilling of the Lagoon for housing projects like Orange Island, etc.
Water is being drained through these areas that we humans are now distorting without understanding the long term impact.

Lagos should have focused on completing the 4th Mainland Bridge and on how to build a new set of cities on land in areas that will be connected by the new bridge instead of trying to dominate its waters.

Cc: Lalasticlala; Mynd44[/quote]
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by ipain: 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
LOL... You all are missing the point. The builders just want to make money and do not care about who is killed in the process. Isn't it what most people do in Nigeria?
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Cutealexio(m): 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
The brain behind the project is a private body so I think we shouldn't blame the state government for misplacement of priorities. The 4th mainland Bridge on the other hand is funded fully be the state government. You made a point that Africans are not ripe for "reclaiming an ocean" but what I know is that the contractors are expatriates. The author of the column didn't see any error in the project he only suggested that the other islands should be also protecteted just as they've done for Atlantic city
LRNZH:

Lagos should have focused on completing the 4th Mainland Bridge and on how to build a new set of cities on land in areas that will be connected by the new bridge instead of trying to dominate its waters.

Cc: Lalasticlala; Mynd44

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

El-Rufai: I Will Not Release El-Zakzaky So Long I’m Governor / 2019: ADP Zones The Presidency To The North And Vice President South East / What Saraki, Dogara Told Buhari About Dino Melaye’s Travail, 2018 Budget - READ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.