Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,710 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw (41133 Views)

Governor Wike Storms Mile 1 Market. See What He Did (Photos) / Nkechi Ikpeazu's Convoy Had A Fatal Accident, 2 Confirmed Dead, Others Injured / ‘december Spending Boosts Lagos Economy By N50b’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Folksyharry(m): 8:58pm On Mar 20, 2017
Ogene001:
why must people live on top of each other in a tiny land called Lagos, why cant other states be helped with the necessary federal infrastructure to decongest Lagos

I agree with you. I know many state governors are clueless as to how to attract investment but I think the federal government should work with state governors to work on ways to make their states business friendly so that some of those investors will give Lagos state some breathing space. This will help decongest the state.
They should take advantage of the water bodies in the south south states, construct railway lines, fix our roads, provide electricity and give iinvestors incentives to encourage them.
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by edoyad(m): 9:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
Folksyharry:

I agree with you. I know many state governors are clueless as to how to attract investment but I think the federal government should work with state governors to work on ways to make their states business friendly so that some of those investors will give Lagos state some breathing space. This will help decongest the state.
They should take advantage of the water bodies in the south south states, construct railway lines, fix our roads, provide electricity and give iinvestors incentives to encourage them.

What if the locals in those states just won't cooperate and continue to make life hard for investors. If Lagos is the only business friendly town in Nigeria then let it continue to enjoy from it's friendliness.

2 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by anonimi: 10:12pm On Mar 20, 2017
djlaqua91:
Wow! This brings back goosebumps.

I did my BSc thesis on the implications of climate change along the eti-osa, ibeju lekki axis. I remember viewing this project as a potential environmental disaster.

Good intentions, but shouldn't be a priority.

BSc thesis?
Are you sure of what you are saying
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by djlaqua91(m): 10:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
anonimi:

BSc thesis?
Are you sure of what you are saying

You better educate yourself. It is correct

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by real86(m): 10:52pm On Mar 20, 2017
Kennywills7:
Lagos state government should continue the project and also put in place measures which can be used to avert any possible disaster that come from it
Built for only super rich abi. Don't you think it will be a smarter idea to open up some underdeveloped parts of the state?

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Kennywills7(m): 11:21pm On Mar 20, 2017
real86:
Built for only super rich abi. Don't you think it will be a smarter idea to open up some underdeveloped parts of the state?
Of course that will be a greater achievement if the ambode led government can do that but u know it's not going to worl except maybe a rich man will own at least 2/3 of it and the rest will be used for cover up. Talk about corruption at it's best

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by October1960: 11:22pm On Mar 20, 2017
You nailed it!

Even in Dubai this system has it's limitations. Do a google search for Kansai Airport in Japan and see how the airport Island is sinking faster than the Engineers calculated.

There is plenty of land in Nigeria that is not developed or not maintained, but the "elite" want to be near the ocean and away from the masses. Hope it washes the crooks away.

https://www./enginering-went-totally-wrong-kansai-airport-japan-ocean-nawaqavou

http://www.tourism-review.com/travel-tourism-magazine-japanese-airport-is-sinking-together-with-the-artificial-island-article2374

hahn:
INteresting

I always wondered why they didn't consider developing Lagos, like fixing the drainage system, instead of this project.

But what do I know? undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by October1960: 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2017
Most of the people that can afford to purchase here will have access to stolen money or their parents gave them stolen money from political connections or former government work.

If you have spare change to buy house built on sand in the ocean then go ahead.

But those of you that worked hard for your money and was not handed down stolen money be careful.

Go online and review how reclaimed land has fared in advanced countries with effective laws and property rights. The record is spotty.
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Emassive(m): 11:36pm On Mar 20, 2017
Govt that hasn't fixed the flood on H.Macaulay Way Yaba that floods all the way from St dominic to Jibowu and Yaba tech worst hit for since 1960... it is a wall that they will build for the slums..lol Joke of the year. Thanks a lot
DeKen:
I would prefer to be optimistic. I love this project and I believe it's being handled by professionals/experts.
At worst, govt (which is a stakeholder in this) would be compelled to build a wall to protect the other islands if they are threatened.

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Emassive(m): 11:40pm On Mar 20, 2017
The stakeholders will benefit surely but the money still goes to the politicians who will steal it again and the disaster still strucks. Many will die and properties destroyed but a new govt will come and no good will reach the masses. Nigeria is still cursed till we realize this an deal with it. We keep making govt rich at our expense.
LRNZH:

This project would never have seen the light of the day if it was not deemed to fit into the state Government's vision (it is called a master-plan).

The government and the people of Lagos are stakeholders to any kind of project to be embarked on by anybody.

For you to assume that any private entity can just construct any structure of any kind (not to speak of a mega project like Eko Atlantic), without the approvals from the government exposes a certain ignorance of how city planning and development are handled.

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by kabaka1: 11:42pm On Mar 20, 2017
Amberon:
When will Africans learn? The westerners didn't get to where they are today by outpacing their shadows.

Nigeria is not deficient in land. Instead of reclaiming land from the ocean why not channel that time/energy/resources into proper drainage and development of the already inhabited areas? Now look at the potential damage well meaning citizens are being predisposed to.

Well, all the best for eko Atlantic.

No mind dem. Dey just wan emulate Dubai grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by odimbannamdi(m): 11:50pm On Mar 20, 2017
stagger:
Chagoury's again? With the roles these C & C brothers played in the Abacha regime, should they not have been languishing in some jail house by now?

Bros, please enlighten me. What did they do?

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Horus(m): 11:57pm On Mar 20, 2017

Eko Atlantic satellite view
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by hahn(m): 12:40am On Mar 21, 2017
October1960:
You nailed it!

Even in Dubai this system has it's limitations. Do a google search for Kansai Airport in Japan and see how the airport Island is sinking faster than the Engineers calculated.

There is plenty of land in Nigeria that is not developed or not maintained, but the "elite" want to be near the ocean and away from the masses. Hope it washes the crooks away.

https://www./enginering-went-totally-wrong-kansai-airport-japan-ocean-nawaqavou

http://www.tourism-review.com/travel-tourism-magazine-japanese-airport-is-sinking-together-with-the-artificial-island-article2374

Amen to that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by overboard(m): 12:44am On Mar 21, 2017
davidif:

Bros, I raised this issue on nairaland back in 2017 that Lagos was sinking but I guess it was not as important as D'Banj's new record or Omotola's new movie so it didn't make the front page. Too bad.

https://www.nairaland.com/479070/lagos-sinking#6385159

Yup, yup... Prof. Ben Apati had been ringing it in their ears to no avail

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by escapefromusa(f): 12:56am On Mar 21, 2017
PapaBrowne:

This is an entirely private development. Run by private money, not public money. So your notion that "Lagos"should have focused elsewhere doesn't cut it as Lagos is not focused on Eko Atlantic. Chaugory & his Southern Energyxteam are the ines focused on It.

Tree huggers are anti capitalist. the OP is a tree hugger but it's unfortunate the weak will has always and will always pay for the rise of capitalism.

And capitalism... is on the brink of Nigeria. For all the development and mordenization this country needs to feed, protect and engage her populace are all born of capitalism. Even China embraced capitalism eventually....

OP... just build another wall or relocate em... Eko Atlantic is bringing in billions in FDI grin wink

3 Likes

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by seguno2: 2:14am On Mar 21, 2017
Kennywills7:

Of course that will be a greater achievement if the ambode led government can do that but u know it's not going to worl except maybe a rich man will own at least 2/3 of it and the rest will be used for cover up. Talk about corruption at it's best

I thought that corruption is only the stealing of money?

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by seguno2: 2:21am On Mar 21, 2017
DeKen:
I would prefer to be optimistic. I love this project and I believe it's being handled by professionals/experts.
At worst, govt (which is a stakeholder in this) would be compelled to build a wall to protect the other islands if they are threatened.

The poster above you said it is entirely private, so why are you calling government again?

PapaBrowne:
This is an entirely private development. Run by private money, not public money. So your notion that "Lagos"should have focused elsewhere doesn't cut it as Lagos is not focused on Eko Atlantic. Chaugory & his Southern Energyxteam are the ines focused on It.

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by anonimi: 4:10am On Mar 21, 2017
djlaqua91:
You better educate yourself. It is correct

Noted with thanks.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Nobody: 7:20am On Mar 21, 2017
Ogene001:
why must people live on top of each other in a tiny land called Lagos, why cant other states be helped with the necessary federal infrastructure to decongest Lagos
Right on spot
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Kennywills7(m): 9:33am On Mar 21, 2017
seguno2:

I thought that corruption is only the stealing of money?
Well it's only in Nigeria that people feel stealing of money is the only form of corruption.

1 Like

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by EngrKem: 10:25am On Mar 21, 2017
PapaBrowne:

And tinubu will be at the background abi!
Private money indeed
Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Naija4Fatality: 11:19am On Apr 13, 2017
While u guys are here bad mouthing the project, investors are there building the smart mega city that will have everything, from tall skyscrapers to stable power supply, good roads, strong institution, international hospital, international world class schools, e.t.c
This will definately make lagos a world tourist destination.

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Naija4Fatality: 11:42am On Apr 13, 2017
While u guys are here bad mouthing the project, investors are there building the smart mega city that will have everything, from tall skyscrapers to stable power supply, good roads, strong institution, international hospital, international world class schools, e.t.c
This will definately make lagos a world tourist destination(tourism)

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Naija4Fatality: 12:01pm On Apr 13, 2017
E.A.C (Eko Atlantic City) is called Dubai version2.0, it is the bigger version of Dubai, the city is built for tourism and business activities
The city is expected to become the economic capital of the continent.

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Naija4Fatality: 12:15pm On Apr 13, 2017
E.A.C (Eko Atlantic City) is called Dubai version2.0, it is the bigger version of Dubai, the city is built for tourism and business activities
The city is expected to become the economic capital of the continent.
#No dream is too big.

Re: A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw by Naija4Fatality: 12:23pm On Apr 13, 2017
I love this bridge, it is located in ojota, it is called "Y BRIDGE" #Y-BRIDGE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Saraki, Dogara Told Buhari About Dino Melaye’s Travail, 2018 Budget - READ / Tere Ikuru's Defection Shocked Me But He Is Free To Go, Says Amaechi / Corporate Affairs Commission Implements Dress Code For Visitors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.