Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie (18892 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Hosts Lupita Nyong’o In Lagos / Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 21, 2017
Eddygourdo:
she is so fantastic to your ilk cos ur a simpleton. How does being a fiction writer make anyone smart on life issues. So when women are able to talk about LGbT rights on live television they are advanced beings ? Or when the refuse to answer their husbands names.

who is this fool calling me a simpleton

can u pls GTFO!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:30am On Mar 21, 2017
Eddygourdo:
she is so fantastic to your ilk cos ur a simpleton. How does being a fiction writer make anyone smart on life issues. So when women are able to talk about LGbT rights on live television they are advanced beings ? Or when the refuse to answer their husbands names.
No, he's not a simpleton. Adichie is both a great fiction writer and an intelligent woman. You'd be hating or intellectually inferior to disagree. It is just the fact. What exactly is your problem with her? I'd like to hear it.

Transwomen are trans women. They did not go through the experiences the woman from Childbirth passed through. Except you have no idea on what transgender means. Can you tell me any good reason why a woman must answer her husband's name?

2 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by HumanistMike(m): 7:33am On Mar 21, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

They're senseless and possessed by the evil spirit

Tell me why someone who was born a man would wanna become a woman and still have a dick ??

These people disgust me

Let everyone in this world turn gay, humanity​ will go into extinction

Put a very strict rules and 50 years imprisonment for gays and transgenders in Africa

If you want to play that shiit, you move to the USA

In the USA, you can enjoy sex, get pregnant and legally kill your baby (abortion) but you can't smoke a grass (weed).. bunch of idiots

Keep that gay shiit in the USA

Your anger is misplaced. You don't have to understand the reason why people do what they do but you HAVE TO RESPECT IT!

Although I don't get why gay men and women go that route I still won't discriminate against them on that basis because I have common sense. Common sense in this case has to do with not poking my nose into someone else's lifestyle choices especially when it doesn't affect me or constitutes a "crime" (foresighted) in any way.

3 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 21, 2017
HumanistMike:

Your anger is misplaced. You don't have to understand the reason why people do what they do but you HAVE TO RESPECT IT!

Although I don't get why gay men and women go that route I still won't discriminate against them on that basis because I have common sense. Common sense in this case has to do with not poking my nose into someone else's lifestyle choices especially when it doesn't affect me or constitutes a "crime" (foresighted) in any way.

O boy you are wasting your time. These guys do not have common sense,they are dense. You had better use your time for something else. I am sure he will soon tag you gay .

4 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Ojukwubucket(m): 7:43am On Mar 21, 2017
Eddygourdo:
Mr man.. Every human being is entitled to his opinion... Stop abusing people simply because their idea don't tally with urs... Pls b enlightened

2 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by HumanistMike(m): 7:44am On Mar 21, 2017
woodcook:

O boy you are wasting your time. These guys do not have common sense,they are dense. You had better use your time for something else. I am sure he will soon tag you gay .

You are correct. They are immature.

2 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by RevolverOcelot(m): 7:44am On Mar 21, 2017
Feminists are crazy if they think Women don't have more privileges than Men.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Eddygourdo(m): 7:45am On Mar 21, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
No, he's not a simpleton. Adichie is both a great fiction writer and an intelligent woman. You'd be hating or intellectually inferior to disagree. It is just the fact. What exactly is your problem with her? I'd like to hear it.

Transwomen are trans women. They did not go through the experiences the woman from Childbirth passed through. Except you have no idea on what transgender means. Can you tell me any good reason why a woman must answer her husband's name?
do u see the problem. you serenade the heterosexual for non-inclusiveness with respect of the new world definition of other sexualities and yet have also found a way to do same to the transgender. I though what matters is what and whom one identifies with currently, must past non struggles due to being a former man matter in the present ? Now why not tell me the fight against customs. In a typical patriaciah society its norm for a woman to answer the man's name, and in a matriach one we assume the female name is most appropraite. So when has whose name is answered been a case of choice by men to subjugate women to their nuances
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by sisisioge: 7:46am On Mar 21, 2017
HumanistMike:

What privileges?

See question! Dude, its everywhere! From the family units to the society at large. A boy child privilege...he's the heir, the future leader, no domestic chores for the dear boy, his education is considered very importance , etc. A woman who dares not bore a son in an Igbo land is looking for troube. Oh, the Hausa believe the girl child is a second class citizen, the boy is the voice. The Yorubas don't even bother to teach their sons basic things, he would marry a woman who would do those things for him. Look at monarch system in Nigeria or even the world at large, how many female kings(abi na queens) you know ? How many female presidents? Can you do the ratio of woman to man CEOs? Even in religion circles where it is preached that we are all equal before God, can you do the radio of woman to man GOs? It is well bro...it is well.

1 Like

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Kenkaniff(m): 7:46am On Mar 21, 2017
you're young and dumb.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Eddygourdo(m): 7:47am On Mar 21, 2017
Evaberry:

who is this fool calling me a simpleton

can u pls GTFO!!!!
I called you a simpleton on assumption, yet you have proved it. Which exam have you ever passed or assesed, what contribution in anything have you ever done that rules you out as an idiot. Who jumps to fictional literature and regards such as proof of intelligence on other life subjects

2 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Eddygourdo(m): 7:51am On Mar 21, 2017
Ojukwubucket:

Mr man.. Every human being is entitled to his opinion... Stop abusing people simply because their idea don't tally with urs... Pls b enlightened
if you are enlightened then you will know that criticism isn't abuse nor does it mean a call to arms. I posed a question which should be answered with facts that brought about such views. At least its now left to readers to determine whether its an objective or subjective view. Such determination proves my earlier assertion on the simpleton angle. so reevaluate your enlightenment mr man
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by GiantParrot(m): 7:55am On Mar 21, 2017
Evaberry:
honestly speaking chiamanda can do no wrong in my eyes

For real? Do you even understand the implications of such mindset you have?

Evaberry:
She is a literature god

Aha, this speaks volumes about your standards.

1 Like

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by jmoore(m): 7:58am On Mar 21, 2017
"Transgender, gays and lesbians are confused folks. They need help" - Common sense speaking
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:58am On Mar 21, 2017
Eddygourdo:
do u see the problem. you serenade the heterosexual for non-inclusiveness with respect of the new world definition of other sexualities and yet have also found a way to do same to the transgender. I though what matters is what and whom one identifies with currently, must past non struggles due to being a former man matter in the present ? Now why not tell me the fight against customs. In a typical patriaciah society its norm for a woman to answer the man's name, and in a matriach one we assume the female name is most appropraite. So when has whose name is answered been a case of choice by men to subjugate women to their nuances
It matters currently who one identifies when the topic is on who he identifies with currently. It fails to matter when the subject is about their respective experiences.

This is commonsensical. You don't join a new camp for a few days and want your story to be told with the same language the other members of the camp is told. It doesn't even require too much logic.

Our world, with little equity, have shown evil to all, but more to women. Their upbringing was marred by inequity. The society's hypocrisy in handling their matters is another thing. Women get the hammer more.

Then one guy goes trans tomorrow and wants to be described with elements of feminine experience. It makes zero sense. You are asking me to respect such illogic because the transgender says so. No. It makes no sense.

Your response on why men's name should be answered by women didn't say anything tangible. It only worsened the problem. Why must we follow culture? We should rather follow logic and not custom. Should a foolish man be the head of the family because culture says so?

2 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by TheEminentLaity: 8:06am On Mar 21, 2017
Go read a book. Ignoramus
SweetBoyFriend:

They're senseless and possessed by the evil spirit

Tell me why someone who was born a man would wanna become a woman and still have a dick ??

These people disgust me

Let everyone in this world turn gay, humanity​ will go into extinction

Put a very strict rules and 50 years imprisonment for gays and transgenders in Africa

If you want to play that shiit, you move to the USA

In the USA, you can enjoy sex, get pregnant and legally kill your baby (abortion) but you can't smoke a grass (weed).. bunch of idiots

Keep that gay shiit in the USA

2 Likes

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by HumanistMike(m): 8:12am On Mar 21, 2017
sisisioge:

See question! Dude, its everywhere! From the family units to the society at large. A boy child privilege...he's the heir, the future leader, no domestic chores for the dear boy, his education is considered very importance , etc. A woman who dares not bore a son in an Igbo land is looking for troube. Oh, the Hausa believe the girl child is a second class citizen, the boy is the voice. The Yorubas don't even bother to teach their sons basic things, he would marry a woman who would do those things for him. Look at monarch system in Nigeria or even the world at large, how many female kings(abi na queens) you know ? How many female presidents? Can you do the ratio of woman to man CEOs? Even in religion circles where it is preached that we are all equal before God, can you do the radio of woman to man GOs? It is well bro...it is well.

Okay I'll take your points one at a time but firstly, both genders have equally significant challenges that are unique. Feminism only triages the challenges of the female and ignores that of the male.

So...
1. Heir.
Your dad/mum can make you the heir. It's their choice. Also, do not take your husband's last name when you marry. Nobody forces women to take his last name. They choose to. In some cases, they look forward to. When you take a man's surname, the properties you have could be taken by him. COULD! That's why parents prefer to make their sons the custodians of their estates. So, tell your future hubby you won't take his name for that reason. Don't be shy.

2. Future leader.
Does any law stop you from being a future leader? You can be one if YOU CHOOSE to be one!

3. Domestic chores.
How do you define domestic chores?
They way I see it, moving furnitures around, doing the heavy lifting at home, doing the minor repairs at home, buying fuel for th Gen, refilling the gen with fuel, starting the gen, washing the cars, opening/closing the gate, sorting out electrical issues, bringing in the bag of rice etc are all chores done domestically. So are they domestic chores? You lost me.

4. Male son.
See no 1.

5. Muslims and women being 2nd class citizens.
In America, Scandinavia, UK etc, they believe men are second class citizens. Men have no rights. In fact, the "rights" scale is;
Women
Children
Pets
Men.

6. Yorubas and what they teach their sons.
They teach their sons things they feels he will need to function as a man in society. If you feel that's wrong, then don't worry, your husband will be cooking and cleaning while you'll be the breadwinner. You will take care of his needs because his is special. You will give him pocket money always and will never put your eyes in his earnings. His money is his money but your money is the house money.

7. Monarchy and gender.
This is based on religion. Men fight for the land so they began ruling it. Nothing stops women from going to war to conquer their land. When they get maimed at war and lose lots of their friends, they will choose to rule the land they have conquered too. The subsequent choice of male heir is due to surname issue. See no 1.

8. Genders of CEO.
People tend to be CEOs of companies they float. Nothing stops women from floating their on companies. Even this website you use was floated by a man. The internet was invented by a man. Your religion was invented by a man etc. Go and start you own company and be the CEO.

9. Religion.
All the religions in the world were invented by men. Even the language we both communicate with was invented by men. Nothing stops women from inventing theirs.

And please don't say men invented these things because men were educated. Guess what, education was invented by men too. Do you know what else was invented by men? Menstrual pads and tampons!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by TheEminentLaity: 8:16am On Mar 21, 2017
Perhaps you aren't aware of of the discrimination girlie-boys face. What privileges are there when one is beaten or life endangered for being different. Don't be insensitive.
sisisioge:

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by RevolverOcelot(m): 8:16am On Mar 21, 2017
sisisioge:

A Females privileges:
1. From an early age the opposite sex will be instructed never to hit me but I may not be given the same instructions. However, should I strike males I can expect not to be hit back and any social penalties that occur from my actions will actually fall on the male.
2. If I’m not smart, but pretty, I can marry and achieve the social and financial level of my husband without ever working.
3. I can produce offspring. A status which grants me an “essential” status in our species that men can never have and which can never be taken away from me even in old age.
4. Regardless of my mate value society has organized fertility clinics and social welfare programs that will allow me to have children and provide for them should I choose to reproduce without a mate or marriage.
5. In the event of any disaster I will be evacuated first.
6. I can discriminate against the opposite sex ruthlessly without social penalty.
7. If I commit a crime and am convicted I will get a sentencing “discount” because of my gender. If I am very pretty it will increase my discount.
8. If I am a partner in crime with a man I will likely be charged with lesser crimes even though I committed the same crimes even if I was the ringleader.
9. The majority of luxury apparel is designed, marketed to, and consumed by women.
10. Seven times as much jewelry will be purchased by or for me than by or for men.
11. I have a department of women’s health whereas men have no such department.
12. My gender enjoys more government spending on health than males do.
13. My gender consumes the lioness’ share of entitlement programs while men contribute the lion’s share of taxes.
14. If I rape or molest a child I can expect lighter treatment in court and afterwards receive less social stigma.
Etc.
And so on so forth..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 21, 2017
Glaxxs:
In as much as I am pro trans, I can't fathom what's the fuss has been about? sad

Adichie stated the obvious which is the " said difference " between trans woman and cis women" despite all being equated as women. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Yet the trans community had grudgingly spike her as though she said anything different than what already is.

While you may be right, most of these trans women were already seeing themselves as wholly women prior to them transiting, hence their anger at Adichie. We all know what ascribes to men that act like women in our society and the persecution they go through. So no, it's not entirely same privilege that they enjoyed prior to transiting.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by GiantParrot(m): 8:19am On Mar 21, 2017
sisisioge:

See question! Dude, its everywhere! From the family units to the society at large. A boy child privilege...he's the heir, the future leader, no domestic chores for the dear boy, his education is considered very importance , etc. A woman who dares not bore a son in an Igbo land is looking for troube. Oh, the Hausa believe the girl child is a second class citizen, the boy is the voice. The Yorubas don't even bother to teach their sons basic things, he would marry a woman who would do those things for him.

Fair points.

sisisioge:

How many female presidents? Can you do the ratio of woman to man CEOs? Even in religion circles where it is preached that we are all equal before God, can you do the radio of woman to man GOs? It is well bro...it is well.

This rant appears to be predicated on the notion of equal representation arising from illogical ideas around equality of outcome. Equal opportunity from the onset is sensible. Equal outcome is a pipe dream in the context of merit based systems when you realize that people are inherently different in terms of talents, motivations, ambition, self drive and experience (note that a lot of women become unequal in experience to their male counterparts because the take time off for childbirth and childcare. That's the reality).

On a different but not entirely unrelated note, and this not neccessarily about your own personal views, It also happens that feminists like torefer to elite positions when they refer to inequality. They hardly ever refer to ordinary occupations like plumbing and other blue collar jobs. It really does sound like a lot of them just want a shortcut to status, and will gladly see the standards lowered to achieve that.

Empirical truth is based on evidence, not so called facts or sentiments. There are numerous evidences in history and contemporary times around the world that support inequality of outcome, even in systems where the authorities made immense efforts to encourage equal representation. You may want to read on the Scandinavian gender equality paradox.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Eddygourdo(m): 8:22am On Mar 21, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
It matters currently who one identifies when the topic is on who he identifies with currently. It fails to matter when the subject is about their respective experiences.

This is commonsensical. You don't join a new camp for a few days and want your story to be told with the same language the other members of the camp is told. It doesn't even require too much logic.

Our world, with little equity, have shown evil to all, but more to women. Their upbringing was marred by inequity. The society's hypocrisy in handling their matters is another thing. Women get the hammer more.

Then one guy goes trans tomorrow and wants to be described with elements of feminine experience. It makes zero sense. You are asking me to respect such illogic because the transgender says so. No. It makes no sense.

Your response on why men's name should be answered by women didn't say anything tangible. It only worsened the problem. Why must we follow culture? We should rather follow logic and not custom. Should a foolish man be the head of the family because culture says so?
what do you define as customs, even what you seek today the so called female liberalization in the next 200years will be regarded as customs and still subject to change. Thus why degrade one for another. The current state of women asides in strictly muslim communities means that women get more equal oppportunities than men but since that is not the subject here. I still will point out that that rationalization which you giving for the non inclusion of transgender is similar to the bias a heterosexual has towards all these new sexual definitions . When we try to trace the history to determine cause and effect, all we see is pure facts as to why nobody is born gay but was a sudden realization at some point thanks to environmental influences in upbringing. All I am saying is that, simply because adichie is a literature goddes doesn't make her any smarter than a house mouse to become an authority in general life matters.

I don't yet understand why the mere concept of someone accepting or promoting the aalternate life style is paired with enlightenment. I am just pointing out that fact that her bias can be considered segregative by being non inclusive of all women (transgendered women). She is speaking of the current and I believe these women also face the smae challenges all current women are facing. Why calculate discrimination and rights abuses by the length of time which one suffered it. Is that logical ?
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:25am On Mar 21, 2017
Eddygourdo:
what do you define as customs, even what you seek today the so called female liberalization in the next 200years will be regarded as customs and still subject to change. Thus why degrade one for another. The current state of women asides in strictly muslim communities means that women get more equal oppportunities than men but since that is not the subject here. I still will point out that that rationalization which you giving for the non inclusion of transgender is similar to the bias a heterosexual has towards all these new sexual definitions . When we try to trace the history to determine cause and effect, all we see is pure facts as to why nobody is born gay but was a sudden realization at some point thanks to environmental influences in upbringing. All I am saying is that, simply because adichie is a literature goddes doesn't make her any smarter than a house mouse to become an authority in general life matters.

I don't yet understand why the mere concept of someone accepting or promoting the aalternate life style is paired with enlightenment. I am just pointing out that fact that her bias can be considered segregative by being non inclusive of all women (transgendered women). She is speaking of the current and I believe these women also face the smae challenges all current women are facing. Why calculate discrimination and rights abuses by the length of time which one suffered it. Is that logical ?
What exactly is your point? Is it that transgender women had similar experience as women(her point)? Simple Yes or No.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Eddygourdo(m): 8:36am On Mar 21, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
What exactly is your point? Is it that transgender women had similar experience as women(her point)? Simple Yes or No.
will the LGBT community segregate a heterosexual who realized he is gay this morning because he doesn't have the same life experiences from a gay of 20years? Are they not both gays currently subjected to the same percieved injustice she is trying to fight ? Why should it be consdered by how long one has been queer being a measure of his understanding of challenges. So my answer to you is "yes". Current circumstances should match their current definitions as women even though previously male. Because the challenges being faced are not past or weighted issues , but current and existing issues and biases.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by 1stGenius(m): 8:41am On Mar 21, 2017
Hehehe...e pain that trans gender moto gan!
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Apina(m): 8:46am On Mar 21, 2017
Evaberry:
honestly speaking chiamanda can do no wrong in my eyes

it's not easy being her and saying the things she does say.
how many Nigerian women can choose not to answer their husbands name after marriage

how many Nigeria women can profess support and love on live TV for LGBT

How many Nigerian women can excel in literature both home and abroad

I mean Gosh god damn it

this woman. has brains... She is a literature god
She's no Fvcking literature god by any standards. If she was as intelligent as u say, she would know that extinction awaits the human race should homosexuality become the acceptable norm.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by repogirl(f): 8:50am On Mar 21, 2017
But transwomen are trans women nah! Adichie said it on point!

You were born as a man even though you claim you were a girl inside; but still your physical attributes were male, hence you were male not female.
Re: Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie by Ayblaize(m): 8:54am On Mar 21, 2017
Eddygourdo:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nazaretha's Hood - The Missing File / How To Speak And Write English With Good Diction / Get any Book you want free of charge (drop requests)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.