Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,135 members, 7,821,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Bride To Be - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bride To Be (19044 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It / A Bride For November By Rose Akpabio / The Child Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:55pm On Apr 25, 2017
Hello, These is going to be my first story on NL correction, criticism,comments are allowed. Please have your imaginary sits pop corn would be served soon.
Re: Bride To Be by splendidiva(f): 10:19pm On Apr 25, 2017
I beg to be mentioned wen u begin ok
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2017
CHAPTER 1

(Door bell rings) foot steps is heard in the background, a pretty voice speaks up
Hi Mr Jason
Hi, are you sure you wanna do these.

Sure, come in...mum you've got a visitor.

(Flash back)
.... A girl not more than 15 walked into my office bribing me in other to take her mother out on a date, with money of cus.

Jason (Aside) Apparently the girl thought he was something of a player.
He might've gotten a kick out of that a few years ago, but not now. Not when he is nearing middle age. These days he is more concerned about his cholesterol level and his weight than seducing a reluctant woman.

He probably would've ended up getting married if things had worked out between him and Julie, but they hadn't.

Jason enjoyed the company of women as much as any man did, but the fact that they all wanted to reform him.

Gift Edward was a prime example of the type of women he particularly avoided. Haughty, Dignified, proper.

Hi Carrie opened the door for him, grinning from ear to ear.

The faucet broke? Jason didn't bother to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

She pulled a screw from the small from pocket of her jeans and handed it to him.'' it was the only way i could get you to see my mother up close only don't be obvious about it, all right?''

''Carrie, is it the apartment manager?'' The subject of their discussion walked into the room drying her hands on a terry-cloth apron.

Mom, this is Dr. Jason. Remember? Our apartment manager, Hello Gift said Hi Jason replied

you called about a broken faucet, this shouldn't take long. Don't be to obvious about it Carrie warned in a heated whisper.

Gift seemed oblivious to the undercurrent passing between him and and Carrie. Soon Jason is done but Carrie don't seem to stop
Hey Mr Jason the bathroom faucet's been leaking hasn't it mom?
That would be fixed tomorrow right?
Probably

Gift turned around and glanced from one to the other. Crossing her arm, she studied her daughter, then looked at Jason as if it was the first time seeing him. Is something going on here i don't know about ? She asked

what makes you say that? Carrie said with wide eyes innocence. Just answer the question.
Jason glanced at his watch hoping to extract himself from their discussion.

Why would you want Mr Jason here? Gift says.
Because i thought it would be great if you got to know each other.

You properly broke the faucet so we could call him down here? Gift gestured toward Jason.
I wanted him to see you. For being thirty-five, you aren't half bad. Once he saw your potential, i was sure he'd ask you out on a date. I tried to talk to him into it earlier, but_
you what? Gift exploded

This is all a joke, isn't it? Gift turned to Jason for reassurance,
I had to do something Carrie cried, defending herself.
''you need a man. I saw the look on your face when you were holding Joys baby. You never date... I don't know what my father did to you but you've shut yourself off and-and... I was trying to help.

Gift stalked to the far side of the kitchen. You actually asked a man to take me out?
I did more than ask. I offered him money!

Gift whirled on Jason. Just what kind of man are you? Agreeing to my daughters plan...why... You're detestable!

Despite himself, Jason smiled, which was no doubt the worst thing he could have done . Now if you'll both excuse me i'll live leave you to your discussion.

What type of man are you? Gift demanded the second time, following him to the door , blocking his exist
Mom...
Go to your room young woman. I I'll deal with you later.

Jason hadn't imagined things would go like this, and he did feel badly about it, but that didn't help. Gift Edward could think harshly of him if she wanted, but Carrie was in trouble and Jason felt half way responsible.
She was just trying to do you a good turn, he said a matter-of-factly. Think of it as an early Mothers Day Gift.

2 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2017
splendidiva:
I beg to be mentioned wen u begin ok
welcome mhiz
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
phemyor, vickzie,
mrpaulo89, onyle26, iwakacome,
abbaapple, TheBlessedMAN, nosingwa,
ibronesky, EbonyQueen001, Olaide59,
legenddimex, Dunnipearl, Gideon16,
ilyasmuy, rahman, oluangelkay, govaz
, MissBee2k13, swiz123, Bollie29,
goldbim, damiflo, Adeyife,
preciousuweh, sirdaiiyo,
GreenCapitolTe, uniknet, ORLAHOLUWA
, bdauran, Hallymath, BukkyDan,
pinkeeprincess, johnfa466, mhizgap,
rayvelez, Favouritetega, SirL0neWolf,
Marcsolo1, MrZachs,
stephenGee12, emeraldgold1,
abskidodawinner,splendidiva and those that wasn't mention pleases accept my sincere apology.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 12:50pm On Apr 26, 2017
CHAPTER 2

With her daughter out of the room, Gift scowled at Jason, angrier than she could ever remember being.
You're ... She couldn't think of anything bad enough to call him.
Detestable is a good word. He was practically laughing at her!
Disable, she repeated, clenching her fists. I'll have you know I'm reporting you to... The name of the government agency, was beyond her.
Children protective service he supplied.
Them too. See jerked the apron from her waist and threw it on the floor. Surprised by her own action.
Gift tried to steady herself. According to the terms of our rental agreement, I'm giving you our two weeks notice as of this minute. I refuse to live near a man as...
Heinous, he offered, looking bored.
Heinous as you, she stated emphatically. Then with an indignant tilt of her chin, she said as undramatically as she manage, Now kindly leave my home.

As you wish. He opened the door without a backward glance walked out of her apartment.
His attitude infuriated charlotte. She filled him to the door loudly turned the lock. Hoping the sound of it would echo in his ear for a good long time.

Mom? A small voice drifted down from the hall way. You weren't serious about us moving, were you?
Gift clearly failed as a mother. One more layer of guilt to add to all the others. You mean you honestly don't know?
To punish me? Carrie asked, her eyes brimming with inched tears. I'm really sorry mom. I didn't mean to embarrass you.

What Carrie had done was bad enough, but Jason was an adult. Her daughter had her best interest at heart, misguided though she was.
Jason on the other hand had planned to take advantage of them both.
It isn't you i'm furious with him. Gift pointed after Jason. To think a professional man would actually agree to such an idiotic scheme.
The man is a sleaze! Imagine, taking money from you

He didn't
Gift hesitated, the sick feeling in her stomach tensifying. Of course he did, she argued, otherwise he wouldn't have played out this ridiculous game with you.

I was the one took the screw out of the faucet, Jason didn't know anything about it. When i asked if he did agree to take you out on a date, he refused. He was really nice about it but didn't think it was a good idea. That's when i offered him the babysitting money I've been saving, but he wouldn't take it.
A dizziness replaced gift nausea. Several of Jason comments suddenly made since, especially the hint of sarcasm she'd detested when he held up the missingscrew. Yet he allowed her to rant at him. Not even bothering to defend himself.
You really aren't going to make us move are you?
Gift closed her eyes and groaned.

She gave her self an hour. Sixty minute to calm her nerves, have dinner and wipe down the counter while Carrie loaded the dish washer. Sixty minute to figure out how she is going to take back her two weeks notice.
You're going to talk to him, aren't you?
Gift didn't need Carrie to identify him. They had only one him in their mind.
I'll talk to him.
Thanks heaven. Carrie signed with relief.
But when I finish with Jason manning, you and I are goin to sit down and have a serious discussion young lady.
Some of the enthusiasm left carrie's pretty blue eyes as she nodded reluctantly.

Gift knocked at Jason's door which wasn't too far from her apartment
Hold your horses Jason shouted from the other side of the door.
Hello she said would it be okay if i come inside?
Sure. He stepped aside to let her into his apartment. One glance told her he wasn't much a house keeper. A week worth of newspapers were scattered across the carpet. Dirty dishes, presumably from his dinner, sat on the coffee table, along with the remote control, which he picked up. The Tv was instantly mused. He walked over the reclined and removed a pile of clothes probably things he'd recently taken to the dryer.
You can sit here he said indicating the reclined, his arms full of clothes.
Gift smiled and sat down
you want a beer?
Ah... Sure. She didn't normally drink much, but if there was ever a time she needed to fortify her courage it was now.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 5:33pm On Apr 26, 2017
would really appreciate comments. Good or Bad....criticize this work if there is need at least to gear up my sprit.
Should i stop or continue writing?
Re: Bride To Be by Adeyife(m): 6:02pm On Apr 26, 2017
Thx xo much 4 d mention

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by Bollie29(f): 9:05am On Apr 28, 2017
Thanks for the mention, following and you are doing a good job. Waiting for updates

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by EvaJael(f): 1:32pm On Apr 28, 2017
mhizgap:
would really appreciate comments. Good or Bad....criticize this work if there is need at least to gear up my sprit.
Continue please. I think you could use better spacing and punctuation in future updates

2 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by Missmossy(f): 4:52pm On Apr 28, 2017
Interesting piece, more on your paragraph arrangement and watch your tenses too. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by Shakyroh320(f): 5:59pm On Apr 28, 2017
good introduction, keep it coming dear

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by johnfa466(m): 8:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
Nice masterpiece bro keep it up

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 6:43pm On May 04, 2017
EvaJael:

Continue please. I think you could use better spacing and punctuation in future updates
Thanks i won't be completing this series anytime soon... You could please take time to view my other work: vampire's love
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 6:45pm On May 04, 2017
Missmossy:
Interesting piece, more on your paragraph arrangement and watch your tenses too. Kudos.
All noted boss, you could read my other work titled: vampire's love
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 6:47pm On May 04, 2017
Shakyroh320:
good introduction, keep it coming dear
Thanks a much, this won't be completed anytime soon
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 6:48pm On May 04, 2017
johnfa466:
Nice masterpiece bro keep it up
thanks boss but its a lady not a male.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 6:51pm On May 04, 2017
Hello readers, viewers, read and run lol. This humble work won't be completed anytime soon...
But i thought i could compensate you with a new work: vampire's love.
Am sorry once again
Re: Bride To Be by EvaJael(f): 7:27pm On May 04, 2017
mhizgap:

Thanks i won't be completing this series anytime soon... You could please take time to view my other work: vampire's love
Alright dear.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:24pm On May 05, 2017
sorry for the late update.... Hope you forgive me, yes you reading this...love you all
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:23pm On May 05, 2017
smiley

its about what happened earlier, i talked to Carrie and discovered you hadn't exactly fallen in with her scheme. I'm afraid i assumed you had.

Don't worry about it. It was a simple misunderstanding. I'll place an ad in the paper for the apartment tomorrow. Would it be okay if i started showing it right away?
That's another reason am here said Carrie.

You've changed your mind about moving? He asked conveniently as his eyes wandered back to the silent TV. He made a fist, then jerked his elbow back in a gesture of satisfaction . Obviously things are going well for whatever term he is rooting for.

I'd prefer not to move... Carrie and i like living where we do, the area suit us... Well to be honest, i spoke in anger.

Fine then he shrugged, you're a good tenant and i'd hate to lose you. His gaze didn't waiver from the television .

Who is playing? Go ahead and turn up the sound if you want
you don't mind?

Of course not i interrupted your game. He reached for the remote control with an eagerness he didn't bother to disguise. He pushed the volume button, dropped his legs and scooted forward, immediately absorbed in the game.

Who is winning? That was innocuous enough, she decided. Such a simple question won't reveal the except of her ignorance .
For now the lakes. The're up by four, but the leads been changing the entire game.

Soon Gift finds her self actually enjoying the game. The score was tied a minute before half time and when the lakers scored at the buzer to take the lead Gift leapt to her feet and cheered. Jason raised his eyebrows at her display of enthusiasm, she made Gift more self conscious. She slowly lowered her self back to the chair sorry she mumbled.

Don't be i just didn't expect you'd be the type to appreciate sports.
Generally i'm not this is the first time i've any idea of what's going on .

A patronizing smile flashed in and out of his eyes but that one instant was enough.
Since its her duty to defend woman kind, and being fortified with a beer, Gift jumped to her feet, don't be haughty with me Jason! she said. Trying to recover her dignity, she sat back down, tucking one leg beneath her. You think just because you happen to know a few sport rules, men a superior to women.

We are, he returned whole heartedly, without the least bit of reservation.
At let you're honest. I'm sick of men who pay lip service to women. Then go into men room and sicker behind our backs.
Hey, admit it men are superior, and if you haven't owned up to it yet don't forget, God created us first. All right . If you can name one thing a woman does other than having babies, which is a given. Okay then accepting his challenge.

Women are more sensitive than men . Really, when he snorted in response.
Sure, you cry in movies that negate your whole argument.
Am not talking about crying am referring to feelings! Women aren't afraid to face their feelings. Men are terrified of emotions they hold it inside until they are bent out of shape.

Jason laughed, i suppose you think women are smarter than men too. No. She said sincerely i'd say were even in that department.
Go on, he urged

Another thing women are better in multitasking than men. We're used to jingling all kind of responsibilities. Jason snickered

im serious, if you think about it you realize its true. Women are expected to help the family financially, not only that, we're also expected to assume role as emotional caretaker. Responsibilities of the family falls on the woman shoulder not the man.

Women handle pain more than men too. I've never seen a bigger baby in my life than a man who is having a minor case of flu. Most of them act like we should call in the World Health Organization.

And i suppose you're going to drag the horror of giving birth into this one now which i remind you, is completely unfair.

I don't need to. Men have a hard time just dealing with simple cold. If God had left procreation to the male of spices, humanity would have died out with Adam.
That's three, Jason muttered ungraciously. Three is not several. Three is a few.
Gift shook a head, its enough you don't have a leg to stand on. I was just listing a few of the more obvious waiting for you to come up with one logical defence which you failed to do. You realize you backed me to a corner, I don't have any choice but to agree with you.

I suppose you're right, if someone was wearing a smug look, it was Gift as she smiled triumphantly.

3 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:30pm On May 05, 2017
Update later tomorrow
sis Evajael

shakyor

Johnfa466

Missmossy

Bollie29

Adeyife

godstime88 you're sited

pls those that wasn't mention no vex
to the wonderful viewers would really appreciate your comment.
Re: Bride To Be by EvaJael(f): 8:32pm On May 05, 2017
Words cant express my joy. Ride on baby. EvaJael dey kampe
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:35pm On May 05, 2017
Question friends?

Are you in support of Gift view about ladies being superior to men

Guys what's your view towards this?

Ladies do you agree with Gift?

You opinions would really be appreciated.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:36pm On May 05, 2017
EvaJael:
Words cant express my joy. Ride on baby. EvaJael dey kampe

come let me ride on your back lol

Thanks a much

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by godstime88(m): 9:14pm On May 05, 2017
mhizgap:
Continue
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:16pm On May 05, 2017
godstime88:

Continue

would update later tomorrow
Re: Bride To Be by Adeyife(m): 9:36pm On May 05, 2017
Cnt wait 4 tomorrow.... Nice one.... Thx 4 d mention
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:39pm On May 05, 2017
Adeyife:
Cnt wait 4 tomorrow.... Nice one.... Thx 4 d mention
Am glad you like it
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:49am On May 06, 2017
conceding defeat, Jason moved into the kitchen and returned with a second cold beer for each of them...

Thanks, anyway, but i should get back to Carrie she said.
Although she smiled brightly, some of her reluctance must have shown because Jason said, so soon?

I stayed much longer than i planned to.

But the game's only half over

i know but...

Why don't you call her? Jason suggested, pointing towards the counter where he kept his phone.

It seemed like a reasonable idea. Gift smiled and headed for the kitchen... She punched out her number and waited. Carrie answered on the third ring.

Oh, hi mom. She said in an unconcerned voice.

I'm watching the Lakers game with Jason.

Okay. We're not going to move, are we?

No, Jason was kind enough to let me withdraw my two weeks notice.

Oh good. He's a great guy. Isn't he? Yeah.

Well? Jason asked when she replaced the receiver. If she needed an excuse, he was handing her one on a platter. All she needed to do was to make some vague reply about Carrie and she'd be an her way.

Carrie says she'll call if she needs me.
Excellent.
His smile was definitely charming, Gift decided.

How about popcorn? He asked.
Gift nodded eagerly. Let me help, she said following him into the kitchen. The smell was heavenly.

When it was ready, Jason poured the popcorn into a large bowl and carried it out to the living room. Gift brought paper towel since she couldn't find any napkins.

He placed the bowl in the middle of the coffee table and Gift joined him on the sofa. The game was about to resume. The lakers scored twelve straight points and Gift rose to her knees. Cheering loudly, Jason cheered too, they turned to smile at each other. Their eyes met and held for the longest time flustered and unnerved, Gift was the first to glance away. Her heart was thumping as she forced her attention back to the TV . She took a deep swallow of beer to hide her discomfort.

Jason went strangely quite afterward, too. They both made a pretence of being involved in the game. As time went on, however, it wasn't lakers who held their attention..... Was each other

so, Jason said abruptly, where do you work?
Downtown, for a large insurance agency, you might've heard of them. Davidson and Kent. They have a radio commercial that played a lot... I have heard of them, Jason said, nodding. His rich baritone concluding the song.

Maybe it wasn't so strange that Carrie had bribe someone to ask her on a date...she'd hardly date at all since Tom left.

Tom. The accustomed pain she felt whenever she thought of her ex husband followed on the heels of the unexpected attraction ashes felt toward Jason.
I should be going, she announced suddenly.

The game is not over yet, Jason said frowning. He didn't move for a moment. Don't go yet, i will watch the rest at my place.

The'd d laughed and teased and joked. But Jason was sober now. The paralyzing regret threatened to explode within her, but Gift managed to keep it in check.

She looked up one last time, to say a goodbye, to thank him, to escape.

In than instant she knew Jason was going to kiss her. But one word, least bit of resistance, and he wouldn't go through with it. Gift was completely confident of that.

Need and curiosity overcome the anxiety, and she watched, mesmerized, as his mouth seconded toward her own. His lips, so warm and seductive, barely touched hers.

Gift closed her eyes, trembling and afraid.. Her body, seemingly to its own accord, moved toward him turning into his, seeking the security and strength she felt in him.

He moaned softly and gift did, too, slanting her head to one side, inviting him to deepen the kiss.

Yet Jason held back. The kiss was light. Sweet. More seductive than anything she'd known. It felt wonderful...

Gift didn't understand why he resisted kissing her completely, the way her body was begging him to. Her head was full of promise his lips had made and hadn't kept. Full of possibilities. Full of the sunrise and the wonder.

Once again his mouth brushed over hers, warm and exciting. Moving slowly_so slowly_and so easy.

Jason. It was a battle for her to breathe. He tensed, then kissed her, wrapping himself around her absorbing her size, his strength, his need.

They remained entwined, arms around each other, until gift could no longer stand. She broke away and buried her head in his shoulder, her breathing heavy.

Gift, i didn't mean to frighten you.
You didn't, it was the truth, any fear she felt had nothing to do with him. I have to go... Thank you. For everything.

But most of all for that kiss, she added silently. It was unlikely he'd ever know how much that single kiss had meant to her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:11pm On May 06, 2017
Evening all

Last update for the Night

enjoy and please your comments are highly appreciated.

Chapter 3

He'd kiss her. He'd actually kissed Gift. An hour later Jason had trouble taking it in. He was generally wasn't a philosophical. He didn't take time deliberating on relationship or motivations. His reaction to Gift wasn't unwarranted.

Jason considered himself to old for romance. He didn't know what romance was. Pure foolishness, he thought sarcastically.it was the primary reason he'd never married and never intended to. He wasn't a romantic kind of guy. And yet... He rememberd how good Gift Armand felt around his neck. She'd held her body so tightly against his that he could feel his heart beat. It was a closeness that had transcended the physically.

Jason started pacing, the lakers game forgotten. He needed to clear the cobwebs from his head. He sank down in front of the television, surprised to find the basketball game already

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:15pm On May 06, 2017
over. Stunned, he stared at credits rolling down the screen. He didn't even know who won. He waited, hoping the camera would scan the scoreboard, but it didn't happen. The phone rang and Jason hurried to the kitchen to answer it.
The phone rang and Jason hurried to the kitchen to answer it.
Hello, he said keeping his eyes on the television, still hoping to learn the final outcome.
I knew i should never should have picked the Nuggets, Rich muttered.
You mean lakers won?
By eight points. Where have you been all evening?
Home i had a company a tenant stooped in to chat.

Ignoring Jason's bad mood, Rich chatted on relaying the last half of the fourth quarter final in which th lakers had made an amazing comeback. While his brother was speaking, Jason glanced at the list of his tenants phone number.the way his eyes immediately latched on to Gift's name, anyone might think it has been circled in red. He was so distracted by reading her name over and over again and missed most of what Rich was telling him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Killer Leggings / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.