Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have (648 Views)

20 Signs You Are Unconsciously A People Pleaser / Typical Beliefs In Nigerian Relationships I Dislike / Complexities Of Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have by beejaei: 3:52am On Dec 21, 2009
After unconsciously researching the overestimated issue of relationships, I have come to the conclusion that "almost" all relationships have something in common- their initiation and sometimes their continued existence is motivated by the mutual SELFISHNESS of all the involved parties.

I use the word "almost" only because i want to give some of the people who answered my questions an opportunity to exempt themselves from this categorization, even though i will not personally exempt most, if not all, of them.

Though i consider this cowardly, i also consider it wise, since it helps me to preserve some somewhat important relationships.

This conclusion is the product of a continued questioning of my suuroundings and a never ending commitment to understanding by reflecting and analyzing. Some say it is complicated, i say its living and not just existing.

When i asked the question "Why are you in this relationship," in different forms, "almost" all the answers i received pointed to the fact that the respondents were in the relationship to gain something from it. "Almost" no one was in the relationship with a defined purpose of adding something to it.I may not be able to give explicit details because i have to protect the privacy of those who responded to my questions at one time or the other. I also consider this cowardly and wise for the same aforementioned reason.

Let me quickly comment that it is alright with me if you consider my views utopian or poorly thought out. I also tend to see them in the same light.

Everyone wants a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, or any other person, that will among other things:

-show them love
-show them care
-accept them
-be a good person
-bring out the best in them
-be a good spouse in the future
-give them the emotional attachment they desire

I do not remember anyone saying "My main aim of going into this relationship is to:"

-give love
-give care
-accept someone
-show someone that i am a good person
-bring out the best in someone
-give someone the needed emotional attachment

The closest most respondents came was to say that they will only give these things if there is hope of receiving something back.

Worse still, some respondents chided other people who go into relationships for sex or money. The truth is that such people are just as good or bad as any of us since they are also into relationships because of the pleasure they will derive from it or the money they will make from it.

I regret to announce that i am very much guilty of the aforementioned "offences."

I once read a view similar to mine in a book i saw in Jeanise's room titled "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." However, i did not reckon with it at that time because i considered it to be the product of some spiritual dogmatism. I know better now.

The fact that upon reflection, i can come to the same conclusion as the author of that book says much about all what Dr. Edmonds has been saying about thinking and writing.

I may propose a solution after i read your proposals in your comments.

FORGIVE EVERY ERRORS. I AM WORKING ON A PAPER.
Re: After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have by Akebulan: 5:51am On Dec 21, 2009
Sports section?
Re: After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have by iice(f): 1:15pm On Dec 21, 2009
beejaei:

After unconsciously researching the overestimated issue of relationships, I have come to the conclusion that "almost" all relationships have something in common- their initiation and sometimes their continued existence is motivated by the mutual SELFISHNESS of all the involved parties.

Human nature. Ain't it a beauty? cheesy

Good write up.
Re: After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have by Kelvinj(m): 1:28pm On Dec 21, 2009
Akebulan:

Sports section? 
lmao
No, educational sec cos this guy knows his grammar well
Re: After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have by confrenzy(m): 8:15pm On Dec 23, 2009
mr poster, i cant understand what actually ur problem is. if relationships r basically selfish, so what!
Re: After Unconsciously Researching The Overestimated Issue Of Relationships, I Have by mamagee3(f): 8:17pm On Dec 23, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Get Pregnant And Be Punished In The Us / Have Mobile Phones Made The Dating Scene Better? / The Implications Of Accepting Condition In Ur Relationship!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.