Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,452 members, 7,846,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 06:33 AM

Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading (694 Views)

Yes, PDP Sponsored Bill Gates To Criticise Apc — Lai Mohammed / Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading / Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by bbbabes(f): 6:19am On Mar 22, 2017
A Bill for an Act to provide for the prohibition of Facial Mutilation which is being sponsored by Senator Dino Melaye, came up for 2nd reading Tuesday. The bill if passed into law will prohibit parents from mutilating the faces of their children all in an attempt to give them tribal marks.

The bill after cut:

[img]https://1.bp..com/-KyIMa5HoQaY/WNHv6FS3YhI/AAAAAAAL-uY/EANdRxkPVFct4YOwESdMxoPAJBo5xLM8QCLcB/s400/2a.png[/img]

[img]https://2.bp..com/-TwKbLzb11fk/WNHv6ThPcxI/AAAAAAAL-ug/1VmwlVrS3XQcFt8qUf26SodvuFmw2o_vACLcB/s640/2aa.png[/img]

[img]https://4.bp..com/-GS3t9SeDW1Y/WNHv6NouoiI/AAAAAAAL-uc/v21XmiJTcGswDWRN-Eo8Y11bKZA4pUE2wCLcB/s640/2AAA.png[/img]

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2017/03/dino-melayes-sponsored-bill-to-prohibit.html

lalasticlala
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by bbbabes(f): 6:20am On Mar 22, 2017
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by rusher14: 6:25am On Mar 22, 2017
It is not facial mutilation bur tribal marks.

In cultural context, it is an identifier and sometimes fortification against "spiritual attack".

We cannot belittle our culture whilst adopting foreign versions with the same outcome.

If tribal marks are to be outlawed we must do the same to tattoos.

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by SmartchoicesNG: 6:31am On Mar 22, 2017
rusher14:

In cultural context, it is an identifier and sometimes fortification against "spiritual attack".

We cannot belittle our culture whilst adopting foreign versions with the same outcome.

Hate affects​ good reasoning. We are ready to jail you if you mutilate babies
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by Munae(f): 6:31am On Mar 22, 2017
Although I don't see anything wrong with tribal marks... it is simple a good method of ethnic identification. after a while, u don't feel the pain anymore. and have never heard that anyone was rejected for a job cos of tribal mark.

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by adioolayi(m): 6:32am On Mar 22, 2017
Tribal marks can be beautiful and were source of envy in the past....Cultural identity and all. I was told long time ago, the era of my grandpa and grandmas...men actually chase after women with tribal marks. . grin grin

Nowadays, it is source of worry and has caused depression, low self esteem and in some instances discrimination against those wearing the marks!

Some even argue it is an abuse of the right of children as in most cases, they are not old enough to decide if they want the marks or not.

I think the our present day society does not really favour tribal marks...It should be eradicate.
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by SmartchoicesNG: 6:33am On Mar 22, 2017
Munae:
Although I don't see anything wrong with tribal marks... it is simple a good method of ethnic identification. after a while, u don't feel the pain anymore. and have never heard that anyone was rejected for a job cos of tribal mark.
You haven't reasoned well. No one should be mutilated without the person's​ consent...... Babies can't give consent.....
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by maryjan8(f): 6:41am On Mar 22, 2017
Ok
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by thesicilian: 6:49am On Mar 22, 2017
Our problem is not laws. Its implementation. We don't even have adequate birth records in this country, how are you going to stop parents from giving tribal marks to their own children in their own homes?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by popez: 6:53am On Mar 22, 2017
rusher14:

Oga, at least allow the child to grow old enough to decide if he/she wants those disgusting marks or not.
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by rusher14: 6:57am On Mar 22, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Hate affects​ good reasoning. We are ready to jail you if you mutilate babies

Who has spoken about hate here?

Quite simple.

If our African culture is repudiated same for Western culture of no significant value.

I am all for age of consent for both.
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by thesicilian: 6:59am On Mar 22, 2017
I hope they are going to be able to come up with a proper definition of what Facial Mutilation is. Is it any mark, painting or discoloration at all on the face, or is there a particular length of the mark beyond which a mark becomes a mutilation?
If the bill is to prevent Facial Mutilation, how about those drawn on the abdomen (Especially among the Oyo indigenes where a person's full name, date of birth and address are usually written in large bold letters) limbs or back?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by SmartchoicesNG: 7:01am On Mar 22, 2017
rusher14:

Who has spoken about hate here?

Quite simple.

If our African culture is repudiated same for Western culture of no significant value.

I am all for age of consent for both.
Only speak when you have something sensible to add or else kip kwiet.

When did tattoo become a foreign phenomena?
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by coolebux(m): 7:05am On Mar 22, 2017
Good move
The Afonja lots dying in silence will rejoice at this good news
Why would you make your fellow human look like a squirrel all in the name of fashion

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by madridguy(m): 7:05am On Mar 22, 2017
Dead on arrival.
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by rusher14: 7:07am On Mar 22, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Only speak when you have something sensible to add or else kip kwiet.

When did tattoo become a foreign phenomena?

What is this bellicose moniker on about?

We have all manner of Tattoos. yet, we cannot dispute the revival of tattoo culture in Nigeria today is influenced by modern Western culture.

I am asking for an all encompassing legislation and not selectetive decisions which do nothing than criminalise our culture while being silent on adopted phenomena that have no cultural, moral or ethical significance.

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by Boydehot: 7:08am On Mar 22, 2017
I hope up coming generation will be proud without that wired mark called tribal mark.

Meanwhile, when u see a fine yoruba or hausa lady u really wish u will woo, but immediately our eastern brother see that mark, some will take two step backward.

So make una thank dino later.
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by SmartchoicesNG: 7:13am On Mar 22, 2017
rusher14:

What is this bellicose moniker on about?

We have all manner of Tattoos. yet, we cannot dispute the revival of tattoo culture in Nigeria today is influenced by modern Western culture.

I am asking for an all encompassing legislation and not selectetive decisions which do nothing than criminalise our culture while being silent on adopted phenomena that have no cultural, moral or ethical significance.
All these grammar for nothing. Mention me whenever​ you have something sensible to say.
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by coolebux(m): 7:22am On Mar 22, 2017
thesicilian:
I hope they are going to be able to come up with a proper definition of what Facial Mutilation is. Is it any mark, painting or discoloration at all on the face, or is there a particular length of the mark beyond which a mark becomes a mutilation?
If the bill is to prevent Facial Mutilation, how about those drawn on the abdomen (Especially among the Oyo indigenes where a person's full name, date of birth and address are usually written in large bold letters) limbs or back?
Come! what's the meaning of all these letters you wasted here
Why're you still finding it difficult to understand the meaning of face mutilation
Why're you escalating it
I tire for you o
Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by thesicilian: 7:31am On Mar 22, 2017
coolebux:
Come! what's the meaning of all these letters you wasted here
Why're you still finding it difficult to understand the meaning of face mutilation
Why're you escalating it
I tire for you o
You obviously don't understand how the law works, and it is clear you're not a big fan of reading. I wish I had the time to explain it to you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dino Melaye's Sponsored Bill To Prohibit Facial Mutilation Up For Second Reading by coolebux(m): 7:39am On Mar 22, 2017
thesicilian:

You obviously don't understand how the law works, and it is clear you're not a big fan of reading. I wish I had the time to explain it to you.
Ignored post.

(1) (Reply)

Game Up For Magu As Dss Submits 12 Hard Pieces Of Evidence Against Him / Here Are The Top Tracks In Lt.-gen. Ishaya Bamaiyi's Revelational Album / BREAKING: Punch Reporter Recalled Back To State House - Read Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.