Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets (36991 Views)

Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News / Nigeria Medical Association Explains Why Doctors Are Leaving The Country / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by oxyG: 10:15pm On Mar 26, 2017
Angeleena:
smh....a doc is complaining.. then what would you say of the nurses??doctors are flexing full time,they don't take doctors for granted, nurses would embark on warning strike,even enter main strike,from now till eternity, yet nothing come out..but doctors just warning strike, is enuf..most hospitals have doctors stations, but nurses,theirs is pathetic.. in fact resident doctors, are bring paid,soo well,compared to the nurses,sometimes medical students, are being paid,even when they Neva smell their final MB exams...a fresh doctor, earns higher than a nurse,that's in the system for several donkey years, whereas these nurses,do the main jobs..have seen a doc,that can't fix simple cannula..so guy,ur case holds no water,in the case of doctors and nurses,monkey dey work, baboons dey chop.
Which main jobs do the nurses do? Nigerian nurses are the most unprofessional I have ever seen;very lazy and temperamental
You pay for Nursing Care in hospitals but the nurses will still tell you to cater for your patients.Nurses run shift duties but doctors work like donkeys. To be honest, Nigerian doctors are being overused.They go for weekend calls and still resume work immediately on Monday; no bathing, no brushing.Never can Nigerian doctors be compared to the Nurses, an eagle really looks like a chicken but they are never the same.The day Nigerian hospitals are privatised, that would be the day Nigerian nurses will know their levels.Nurses want to be paid like them but don't want to work the way they work.When Nurses go on strike, the hospitals still function because they can actually do your works.But when they go on strike,can you dare treating the patients? Please these people might be seen as getting money, they suffer more than they earn and never compare them to yourselves again.
Mind you, I am not a doctor but actually have a number of them around me.
Peace be upon us all.

5 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Sector16(m): 10:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
FlirtyKaren:
An aggrieved Nigerian Doctor, who is fed up with the way the Nigerian medical system is ran, has exposed the rot in the system. According to @rolayomide, one day, Nigerians will walk into hospitals and there will be no doctors, if we don't fix the menace soon.

The doctor went on to disclose the stress of getting into medical school, the stress of joining the system which is ran by old men, who won't give young men a chance, unless the person in question is privileged.

Here are his tweets;

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/03/aggrieved-nigerian-doctor-exposes-rot.html Every sector in this country is rotten, and the solution is not some blind recycling of old men...this land needs a revolution.......the anger of the masses must be missed with blood.

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 10:18pm On Mar 26, 2017
I sat one day and thought... Engineers- No work, lawyers- No work, Doctors- No work, accountants- No work. Fact is there are no skills shortage in Nigeria, There are no just enabling environments. This is where out Government has failed really.

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Sector16(m): 10:19pm On Mar 26, 2017
mathemagician3:
Yet some miserable half-wits are screaming "One Nigeria". Thunder fire one Nigeria there. A country her minister of Science and Technology announced merrily with a lot of fun fair that she'll start producing pencils by 2020.

Divide this useless union let Biafrans go their separate ways, work hard and achieve their full potential. Those who love Nigeria can stay back and start produce erasers and crayons by 2050.

I spit on Mr. Lugard and his apron-wearing girlfriend.
spot on bro..but some myopic imps driven by some stupid nepotism and bigotry wont agree with this
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Wishaky(f): 10:21pm On Mar 26, 2017
Temidayo9:
Most of Doctors work re bn done by God in churches.

Lolzxxxxx, funny but tru.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by joseph1832(m): 10:21pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ishilove:

This is highly unusual of you.

Back to the topic. Nigeria is royally fvcked. Fvcked anally without grease. Fvcked in every aspect. Fvcked without a ray of hope. Fvcked because we are a country filled with wicked and satanic people who don't want good for their fellow men.
I love it when you talk dirty, Ishi. Even though they say "truth hurts" this truth you spilled is sweet. Just like relishing the after effect of having a thoroughly vigorous orgasm.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by idris4r83(m): 10:23pm On Mar 26, 2017
Jozprecious:
ah ah madam. it can never be this bad. a doctor Google or check textbook before you? abeg talk another thing jor
abeg epp me ask her again.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by mauriceju2(m): 10:31pm On Mar 26, 2017
quoter system and federal character in favour of the north while good education is abomination in the north, learning to read Koran only is not abomination, the problem of Nigeria is system problem and it cannot be solve because the corrupt system favours the north

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by tellmanny(m): 10:54pm On Mar 26, 2017
Gud day má,
You could have gone ahead to make a case for nurses rather than come here and vent your frustration about your profession on another profession.
Too many a time other professionals in the medical field tend to see doctors as their enemy and that's sad.
It could only have been in your village where medical students gets paid even before passing their medical examination.
Doctors, nurses, pharmacist and the likes are like other professionals in Nigeria, this country doesn't take care of anybody except the politicians.
A doctor has just talked about her profession, now go online and rant about yours or get busy than attack people who hardly know of existence.

Shalom

3 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by KingyKing: 11:02pm On Mar 26, 2017
armadeo:

Supra means that the doctor agrees to work for no pay. In some cases he has to pay the institutions before he starts work and it might be up to half a million a year.

Yeah yeah, I know wink
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:07pm On Mar 26, 2017
Angeleena:
smh....a doc is complaining.. then what would you say of the nurses??doctors are flexing full time,they don't take doctors for granted, nurses would embark on warning strike,even enter main strike,from now till eternity, yet nothing come out..but doctors just warning strike, is enuf..most hospitals have doctors stations, but nurses,theirs is pathetic.. in fact resident doctors, are bring paid,soo well,compared to the nurses,sometimes medical students, are being paid,even when they Neva smell their final MB exams...a fresh doctor, earns higher than a nurse,that's in the system for several donkey years, whereas these nurses,do the main jobs..have seen a doc,that can't fix simple cannula..so guy,ur case holds no water,in the case of doctors and nurses,monkey dey work, baboons dey chop.
pls rearrange, this your statment, who is paying medical students

2 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by tellmanny(m): 11:10pm On Mar 26, 2017
oxyG:

Which main jobs do the nurses do? Nigerian nurses are the most unprofessional I have ever seen;very lazy and temperamental
You pay for Nursing Care in hospitals but the nurses will still tell you to cater for your patients.Nurses run shift duties but doctors work like donkeys. To be honest, Nigerian doctors are being overused.They go for weekend calls and still resume work immediately on Monday; no bathing, no brushing.Never can Nigerian doctors be compared to the Nurses, an eagle really looks like a chicken but they are never the same.The day Nigerian hospitals are privatised, that would be the day Nigerian nurses will know their levels.Nurses want to be paid like them but don't want to work the way they work.When Nurses go on strike, the hospitals still function because they can actually do your works.But when they go on strike,can you dare treating the patients? Please these people might be seen as getting money, they suffer more than they earn and never compare them to yourselves again.
Peace be upon us all.

God bless you bro
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 26, 2017
oxyG:

Peace be upon us all.
i am a doctor but let this be the last time you ever disrespect the nursing profession. Who do you think you are, nursing is a profession made up of hardworking women who do the dirty work on the patient, nursing is a noble profession and get the respect it deserves in other countries not nigeria. A nurse is not your housemaid. Never you empty your stinking verbal diarrhoea here again

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by hahn(m): 11:15pm On Mar 26, 2017
obamd:
This is not exactly news, it's been on for a very long time.
Every 20-30yrs, there's usually an exodus of skilled Medical workers out of Nigeria.

It was once Saudi Arabia, and Nigerian doctors made so much money then. They came back and bought houses in Ikeja GRA, ikoyi and many other investments.

This time, it's the worst exodus that has ever happened. Like someone else said, one day people will go to hospitals and won't find doctors anymore.

Last November, 150 Nigerian doctors wrote the UK medical licencing exam (PLAB), this march, there were 400. By November, there will be at least a thousand. Meanwhile, we churn out just about a thousand doctors from our medical schools yearly so you might argue that the impact won't be felt but hey... The good guys have left.
These figures exclude those who've
So there's a list of countries Nigerian doctors are going to.. UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Qatar, Germany, Saudi Arabia, UAE.
Basically, anywhere outside this country is just fine.

I don't think there's an immediate solution as the government can't afford to pay the kind of money the doctors get paid outside here.

Besides finaincial gratification, there's a better Career progression, better opportunities for research, and a generally better quality of life. You can have brain space to do more productive thinking other than buying fuel for generator and difficulty in doing business.

As we speak, it is easier for a Nigerian doctor to get residency placement in the UK and USA than in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, there's nothing like Merit in the recruitment process.

Way forward, there's need to reform some sectors in Nigeria. Even if everything collapses, Education and health shouldn't crash.

God bless Nigeria

Too late

If the president of the country feels he needs to fly out because of an ear infection and would rather send his kids to schools outside Nigeria then that is enough sign that the education and health sectors have already crashed
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 26, 2017
Jokerman:
We Yoruba Muslims don't agree with the doctor...

Why didn't u bring this up during Jonathan's govt??

Enemy of the Zoo
see this fool with the menatlity of a slave

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Abass07(m): 11:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
Aunty
U need to be educated but unfortunately my phone is not in gud condition.
Nurses that are running 4 shifts in 24hr and hardly contribute well to d management of critical cases.
Doctors have to take over d nursing management of patients in critical condition otherwise,nurses go spoil their work.
I'm sure u are a student who still dey live for dream land

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Abass07(m): 11:34pm On Mar 26, 2017
Angeleena:
Aunty
U need to be educated but unfortunately my phone is not in gud condition.
Nurses that are running 4 shifts in 24hr and hardly contribute well to d management of critical cases.
Doctors have to take over d nursing management of patients in critical condition otherwise,nurses go spoil their work.
I'm sure u are a student who still dey live for dream land

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by buffalowings: 11:34pm On Mar 26, 2017
daretodiffer:
Do you have problems with reading and understanding? Read my post again, this time with your eyes wide open!!!

tut
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 26, 2017
There are no jobs. There were never jobs. The entire system was designed to scam the masses while others share the natural resources. How do you produce doctors every day, are you planning for citizens to get sick and die ? Why dont you just tell the citizens how not to get sick instead of producing doctors and end up having no place to fix them.

This is a lesson for all of you out there who believe in Job Security. That word has been deleted from the dictionary. Do something before something do you. The system is totally in a mess. The present leadership of the country does not know where to start and where to end, they dont even know what they are doing even if you give them all the money in the world. They have no idea at all. So man your oars, its about to get stormy.

I am asking Buhari to take his salary 100% for the next 6 years, but I am begging him to return to Daura with 6 yrs salary, no cheating, but let someone with functional brain hemisphere use turnkey economic module to revamp the dilapidated system, I am pretty much sad cos our present leadership have not read a book on Macro Economy.

If Doctors are crying and committing suicide, I still wonder if the mental disorder cases among the poor has not reached 100%.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 26, 2017
Billyonaire:
There are no jobs. There were never jobs. The entire system was designed to scam the masses while others share the natural resources. How do you produce doctors every day, are you planning for citizens to get sick and die ? Why dont you just tell the citizens how not to get sick instead of producing doctors and end up having no place to fix them.

This is a lesson for all of you out there who believe in Job Security. That word has been deleted from the dictionary. Do something before something do you. The system is totally in a mess. The present leadership of the country does not know where to start and where to end, they dont even know what they are doing even if you give them all the money in the world. They have no idea at all. So man your oars, its about to get stormy.

I am asking Buhari to take his salary 100% for the next 6 years, but I am begging him to return to Daura with 6 yrs salary, no cheating, but let someone with functional brain hemisphere use turnkey economic module to revamp the dilapidated system, I am pretty much sad cos our present leadership have not read a book on Macro Economy.

If Doctors are crying and committing suicide, I still wonder if the mental disorder cases among the poor has not reached 100%.
See better comment. Why are you just commenting when the topic is on page 4? It would Ve made lots of sense if you had commented earlier...

Anyways, you Ve the blunt truth & real fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 26, 2017
Malayy:
nigerian doctors wey no fit perform successful head surgery. the patient either dies in the theather or the next day
no nigerian hospital has up to date facilites to perform head surgery and if they do, you cant afford it. So pls keep your ignorance to yourself

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 26, 2017
adepeter26:

See better comment. Why are you just commenting when the topic is on page 4? It would Ve made lots of sense if you had commented earlier...

Anyways, you Ve the blunt truth & real fact
I went to the beach bro, I needed the wave. Just got in now.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by reginaldchinna: 11:46pm On Mar 26, 2017
Angeleena:
You are simply ignorant
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by stasius: 12:13am On Mar 27, 2017
Angeleena:

Eeeehhhh? Is that so?
Most hospitals have doctors station but no nurses station? Example? U are so ignorant that i wonder if u even enter Nigerian govt or private hospitals.
Medical students are being paid?? Please in which medical school? Stop peddling lies. Nursing students get stipends. No medical student gets paid any toro nor afu!

U have seen a doc that can't fix a cannula? Is that so? Have u seen a nurse that cannot do oral care for a patient too? Yeye!

This is not a doctors versus nurses thread.
Wake up from your inferiority complex and reason!

3 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Drabrah(m): 12:45am On Mar 27, 2017
buffalowings:

are you pretending you don't know how things work at owo

forms are always on sale if you know who to meet
I remember when I wanted to apply there I was told there were no forms
but two of my friends got their hands on the application forms and we're accepted

U're talking abt d backdoor phenomenon, I'm talking of open advert for employment where probably over a thousand job seeking candidates where asked to pay 5K each & there wasn't even a call for interview let alone recruitment!
Scamming of d highest order, in a govt agency!

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by docbindl(m): 2:56am On Mar 27, 2017
ekems2017:
I support you in this one. Some of them are so annoying. (apology to the good ones) They don't even know what they are doing. They bribe their way through. Imagine you complaining of stomach pains and a doctor is either googling or checking the text book in front of him or her to know the drugs to prescribe. I support the older doctors. Pls continue to hold on for us till 70yrs for this one. The rot in this younger doctors is too much.

This is the highest level of ignorance.
What stops you from finding out why the doctor is using the phone in front of you.
In the countries that you all look up to (USA/UK) doctor are allowed to open BNF and other books to ensure the safety of the medication they are prescribing to patient.
The same is what is done by the doctor you encountered, No doctor needs Google or a book to know the name of the drugs to give you nor does he need it to take a detailed history from you.
He needs it for things like accurate dosage based on your weight, he needs it to ensure there is no harmful interactions between the drugs that he's given to you, or possibly find you and alternative if you have a condition that precludes you from using a particular drug.

So if you are not sure of something, ask... Don't just assume.
If a doctor is making use of a phone in front of you.... Ask him why he's touching his phone (IT'S RUDE FOR A DOCTOR TO FIDDLE WITH HIS PHONE WHILE CONSULTING UNLESS WHAT HE'S DOING IS FOR YOU OWN GOOD)

PLEASE ASK..... DON'T ASSUME.

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by InvertedHammer: 4:16am On Mar 27, 2017
JustinSlayer69:
Pointless complaints. Everybody in virtually ALL the sectors are "suffering" except politicians.

Drs are still one of the most highly paid for their skills and long years in medical school. They are lucky their skills are easily transferable abroad.

People just love to complain. Compare the minimum wage of a civil servant and that of a Dr.

Minimum wage in USA is like $1,160 =N 464,000 vs N18,000 in Nigeria.... we are ALL suffering!

LOL.

Rent on a studio apartment is about $800/month == N320,000 == N3.84m/yr in obscure part of USA.

Rent on a self-contained is N300,000/year in a good part of Nigeria.

Keep comparing...
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Nobody: 4:50am On Mar 27, 2017
InvertedHammer:

LOL.

Rent on a studio apartment is about $800/month == N320,000 == N3.84m/yr in obscure part of USA.

Rent on a self-contained is N300,000/year in a good part of Nigeria.

Keep comparing...

Don't really get your point. ..are you saying it's better to live in Nigeria than the US because of cheaper real estate? If so, why the exodus?

My own point is - a Dr is well compensated in either the developing or developed world and the OP doctor should keep quiet.

How much would a good self con in a good neighbourhood in Baltimore cost? Need this info urgently. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by mentorandfriend(m): 5:05am On Mar 27, 2017
Angeleena:

You, my dear, are a comedienne. You have no idea what the op is saying.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by Abdulqareem: 5:18am On Mar 27, 2017
If this guy is complaining like this, what about TEACHERS that made you what you are today. First thing first. Teachers are now beggars, no hope, no joy, no mercy from the government and the citizens. Almost everybody hates seeing TEACHERS doing well. The whole society and the government has agreed that Teacher should die as paupers. Guy better manage what you have and stop complaining.
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by OAUTemitayo: 6:13am On Mar 27, 2017
Drabrah:
Pls won't anybody raise alarm abt d sale of form in FMC, Öwö?
How can they sell forms 2yrs ago, refuse to call for interview let alone pick anybody (even wen we know it's jst formalty) & then place advert for sale of forms again!
This is ridiculous!
Look at what they turned a medical doctor to!
A get help worldwide marketer!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
It's all over for this country
Re: Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets by NaMe4: 6:18am On Mar 27, 2017
Y
Angeleena:

This is serious!

1. Docs earn higher than nurses Are Well-paid
Okay, let me attempt to get into your line of thought; because Doctors earn higher than nurses, they are 'Well-paid'. Right?

2. A few medical students are paid STIPENDS (by their States of Origin; I only know of a few Northern States that did this, don't know if they still do), but for heaven's sake, this does not translate to a salary comparable to that of Nurses!

3. A New medical graduate, during the internship year, learns numerous procedures including setting of IV lines which is not out of place in any way.
These same docs will be the ones to be called upon when difficult IV lines need to be put in place. Not to talk of hundreds of life-saving procedures done by the doctor.

4. Everyone in the Hospital has his role to play and the Nurses do the main NURSING job.
Most doctors follow-up their patients and at certain times may even partake in 'Nursing job' without complaining, and would still be the one to see 10s to 100s of patients in the OPD, to be called upon whenever complications arise during the course of management of any patient, THOROUGHLY probe in the history and examine every patient in order to come to an accurate diagnosis, perform surgeries, carryout calls for over 48 hours (in some facilities, up to 56 hours).
I am not in anyway comparing a doctor's duty to that of a nurse, but just informing you of part of the routine activities of the average doctor, just in case you think they only 'parambulate' around the hospital!

But hey, these guys don't complain about the job but the working conditions and Nigerian factors making this noble profession a frustrating one in this Country.
And it only keeps getting worse:
Lesser number of medical practitioners with interest of practising in this Country.
Increasing lack of confidence in the medical system
Worse working conditions for ALL members of the medical team.

The Doctor complained of a number of factors which make medical practice uninteresting, hinders development in the medical field and brings about the brain-drain we see everyday. And I hope you realise this affects EVERYONE, including nurses and patients.

I don't think only doctors will benefit from an improvement in our medical system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can Ampicillin Capsule Dry And Heal An Open Scar? (Graphic Photo) / Muazu Brahji Dies At COVID-19 Isolation Centre In Yobe / Can Salt Water Prevent Pregnancy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.