Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,722 members, 7,955,711 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:31 PM

Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested (11287 Views)

Boko Haram Kingpins Busted And Arrested By Soldiers In Borno State. Photos / DSP Alamieyeseigha For Burial / Gov. Amaechi Slams DSP Alamieyeseigha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by lisu(f): 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2005
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mutiu78(m): 12:57pm On Dec 09, 2005
A Nigerian state governor who was charged with money laundering in the UK has been impeached in his oil-rich home state of Bayelsa.
Diepreye Alamieyeseigha has lost his immunity from prosecution and has been arrested by police.

He has always said he is innocent of charges that he laundered £1.8m ($3.2m) found in cash and bank accounts.

The BBC's Abdullahi Kaura Abubakar in Yenagoa says there is a heavy security presence on the streets of the city.

The governor is being held at the police headquarters, he says.

Seventeen out of the state assembly's 24 members voted in favour of impeachment.

Mr Alamieyeseigha is facing allegations of fraud by a special anti-corruption court sitting in the northern city of Kaduna.

He is also on the run from the British authorities after he jumped bail last month in London, where he's been charged with money laundering.

Last week, he was suspended from the ruling party

Courtesy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4513172.stm

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by hotspice(f): 1:13pm On Dec 09, 2005
Not just impeached as of right now he has been arrested

and taken to an unknown destination as of mid day 9th Dec. 2005.

Yesterday a London court ordered for his arrested. so will he be taken there?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by lagbaja(m): 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2005
This is a drama with a good ending. Alamco should go rot in the British prison
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by yemstrad(f): 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2005
mmmmmmmmmmmh.....Now a sigh of relieve. That man is simply a criminal. Thank God if it is true.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by yemstrad(f): 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2005
lagbaja:

This is a drama with a good ending. Alamco should go rot in the British prison

Lagbaja, he should be made to serve his jail term in Nigerian highly degraded prisons cos he contributed to the poor state of our prisons, so he should also taste it afterall Obasanjo himself went to Nigerian prison.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by lagbaja(m): 1:52pm On Dec 09, 2005
Yemstrad , I agree with you, Perhaps he should be placed next room to Tafa Balogun, so they can share the same plate of beans
but my fear about the Nigerian justice system is that it might take several years before we get justice and the process could also be armtwisted by the powers that be. he may just be served some lousy 6 months like Tafa and come out to scorn the public afterwards.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by gentleone(f): 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2005
na wa. i'm sure the gov will serve his prison term in london if convicted.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by omon(m): 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2005
'Good riddance to bad rubbish'.. This will serve as a warning to others who think their political posts are their birth rights.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by mikebuddy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 09, 2005
Well gud guys i think going over there is far better for him,than to stay in Nigerian prison.what do u think?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by omon(m): 2:23pm On Dec 09, 2005
Britain has failed us first time, I don't think it will be wise to trust them again. He should be prosecuted in Nigeria
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by JP(m): 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2005
In the first place It's good to hear that the self proclaim "governor general" is arrested.
But we hope it will not bee an issue of ONLY six months in prison at the end.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Seun(m): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2005
We don't care. As long as he is able to return all the money he ate and the other governors start realising that they will actually be prosecuted.

Read: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=35271
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by excelbase: 3:03pm On Dec 09, 2005
I hope Alami will not be deported to UK 'cos some of us no trust this oyibo's o!!! dem go just release am again. I just beleive on the thing wey omon talk "...He should be prosecuted in Nigeria"  afterall we sef get judiciary. Besides, Tony no  kuku reply Baba letter.I hear say dem they issue warrant to arrest him as if say they will do any good

EFCC should have a good chat with him and collect all the money wey e don steal

Methinks he will sing better in Kirikiri or next to Tafa in Abuja than make dem send am back go Brixton.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by joftech(m): 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2005
That bastard will serve as a scapegoat. I hope this serve as a deterent for other governors.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by timmy(m): 3:47pm On Dec 09, 2005
finally... but i think all this is happening to him cos he aint an Obasanjo boy
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by omon(m): 3:51pm On Dec 09, 2005
@ Timmy, make you just look for one corner go rest ooo. No make me vex for here ooo!
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by JP(m): 3:57pm On Dec 09, 2005
I know quite well that it will be difficult for the EFCC to probe all crimina leaders in Nigeria at once.
I commend their offort on this D.S.P issue.But to me it really seems they are selective with whom
they investigate. Honestly this is a fact that most not be ignored.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Seun(m): 4:03pm On Dec 09, 2005

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Greatpeter(m): 4:05pm On Dec 09, 2005
Can this be true or a propaganda?
If It is true, kudos to Bayelsans.
I'm happy about the development.

Now the whole world will take us serious that we are at hell bent to fight curruption to some extent.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by hotspice(f): 4:08pm On Dec 09, 2005
Alamieyeseigha Impeached, Arrested
By Paul Ohia and John Iwori in Yenagoa, 12.09.2005

Bayelsa State governor, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha has been impeached. He has also been arrested by the police. 17 members of the state House of Assembly who sat in Yenogoa under tight security voted for his removal. It could be recalled that the Bow Street Magistrate Court, yesterday issued a warrant for the arrest of Governor Diepreye Alamieye-seigha of Bayelsa State for failing to appear before it at the resumption of his trial over alleged money laundering.[b] With the issuance of the international warrant of arrest, the International Police (INTERPOL), can arrest Alamieyeseigha anywhere, except in Nigeria where he has immunity as provided in section 308 of the 1999 constitution. At the resumption of the trial yesterday, the prosecuting counsel from the Crown Prosecution Services, Mr. Mark Ludcraft, told the court that Alamieyeseigha must be presumed to have jumped bail since he had not reported to the Paddington Police Station since November 18. He, therefore, asked the court to issue a warrant for his arrest. Alamieyeseigha who was arrested in London on September 15 by the Metropolitan Police was, on October 11, admitted to bail on six conditions by a Southwark Crown Court. Among other conditions, he was asked to report daily to a police station, and barred from traveling outside London. But on November 18, the governor breached one of the bail terms by failing to report at the Paddington Police Station. Four days later, he returned to Nigeria in controversial circumstances, sparking off mixed reactions about the propriety of his action. The governor breach of bail terms and his dramatic return to the country had engendered series of events with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) submitting an indictment to the Bayelsa House of Assembly, which on November 22 served him an eight-point impeachment [/b] notice.

The Federal Government on November 28 increased the pressure on Alamieyeseigha by filing a 19-count charge at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, accusing the embattled governor of false declaration of assets, corrupt enrichment and abuse of office. Meanwhile, the seven-man impeachment panel investigating allegations of gross misconduct leveled against him yesterday began its proceedings at Yenagoa behind closed door. The panel, which was inaugurated on Monday by the state Chief Judge, Justice Emmanuel Igoniwari, met in the Conference Room of Creek Motel, Yenagoa, where armed security men disallowed members of the public, including newsmen from gaining access to the hotel�¢??s premises. When THISDAY visited the hotel yesterday, a security operative manning its main entrance turned the correspondent back, saying he had no instruction to allow anyone except members and officials of the panel to attend its proceedings.  Efforts to reach some of the panelists also proved abortive, as their phone lines were not going through. Impeccable sources, however, said the freezing of the state accounts in commercial banks, as well as the non-release of its November allocation from the Federation Account was taking its toll on the panel, as the investigative body was said to be having logistic problems due to lack of funds.  In a related development, the Secretary to the Bayelsa State Government, Dr. Steve Azaiki, has been reportedly detained by security operatives. Azaiki, who is a bosom friend of Alamieyeseigha, recently dropped out of public glare. He was said to have been arrested by plain cloth security operatives early this week in Lagos while on his way to the United States of America (USA). An aide of the SSG who confirmed the arrest of his boss said Azaiki was sick and had been hospitalised at St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos. According to him, Azaiki has been taken away to a detention center in Ogun State.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Greatpeter(m): 4:15pm On Dec 09, 2005
Please someone to clarify this.

Has he been impeached and arrested or it's just december fool?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ocho(f): 5:02pm On Dec 09, 2005
@GP, i think this is for real!
I for one am very happy and indeed at ease to know that Nigeria actually does take a stand against such crimes(somewhat). with the immunity issue being a re-occuring theme, I had at first concluded that it will end up being one of those cases where the offender is let off the hook, but i was proven wrong and i am indeed impressed. He got what he deserved and so i feel no sympathy for him what so ever. I just hope and Pray that other cases of Money Laundering, and other atrocities will be taken up too and those found guilty of such crimes be given the punishment they deserve.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by yemstrad(f): 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2005
Greatpeter:

Please someone to clarify this.

Has he been impeached and arrested or it's just december fool?

My brother i fear oooooh. How could he have been impeached when the panel set up to investigate him has just sat for barely 2 days.

Let's find out well before we start rejoicing. I pray God almighty let this be true. it's something to celeberate.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by CimonJorr(m): 6:40pm On Dec 09, 2005
Well.. this is the first step...

Next step, trial and imprisionment.. hopefully not for 6 months...

Then..

GET DARIYE ! ! ! angry
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by kenflavor(m): 7:11pm On Dec 09, 2005
hmmm
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Odeku(m): 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2005
This is good news to all political aspirants and current seat holders, no one is above the law and I commend the present administration for making this guys a scape goat to others. Maybe the elected officials will start doing the jobs they were elected to do it the 1st place and quit worrying about looting.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by kewe(f): 8:26pm On Dec 09, 2005
if its true good, cos dat man has sinned against man and humanity
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by spencer(m): 8:53pm On Dec 09, 2005
Obasanjo's government is poised to curb corruption in this country. If our past and present corrupt rulers can be arrested and prosecute them for the crime they committed in office,whatelse does it take to achieve probity and accountibility in this country?.DSP should be made to pay for the shame he brought to Bayelsa state and Nigeria in general.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by Odeku(m): 9:28pm On Dec 09, 2005
The only question I keep asking myself is what will happen after Obasonjo? is the EFCC still gonna be in effect or will the be another organization responsible for checking all the mis appropriation of funds and looting?
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by spencer(m): 10:07pm On Dec 09, 2005
DSP Alamieyeseigha going back to london is a waste of time. Federal government via EFCC should handle him the way they did to Tafa. Let them recover all the money he looted and send him to jail.
Re: Bayelsa State: DSP Alamieyeseigha Impeached and Arrested by ocho(f): 10:56pm On Dec 09, 2005
CimonJorr:

Well.. this is the first step...

Next step, trial and imprisionment.. hopefully not for 6 months...

Then..

GET DARIYE ! ! !  angry
and Gov Jolly Nyame after that!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Breaking News;jonathan Did Not Complete His Ph.d Course- Obasanjo / Jonah Jang To Sue Lai Mohammed Over Looters’ List / Why Reps Panel Resolved To Summon VP Osinbajo, Magu, Oyo-Ita, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.