Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,687 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? (33521 Views)

Nigerian Ladies Stop Marrying Men That Are Not Already Rich / Woman In Court For Marrying Two Men In Ebonyi State / How My Brother Learnt His Lesson In A Hard Way After Marrying A Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by gud4dbest(m): 11:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
ontruth:
Which Christianity?Solomon Na pagan?

d matter of fact is dat King Solomon was not a christian!

5 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by purplekayc(m): 11:34pm On Apr 15, 2017
Which kind of question is this?
@ op ,how many do you have?
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by ojinuocheibi(m): 11:38pm On Apr 15, 2017
i never marry b4 so i cant help u
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by okanlawon94(m): 12:23am On Apr 16, 2017
D only aristo wey i qet sef nvr chop belleful...aw will i feed 2 wives,yhu want me to force those heavenly children to dis world n suffer abi...my broda et cannot werk

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by AreaFada2: 12:32am On Apr 16, 2017
myking95:

From census data, the ratio of men to women is about 1.05:1.00. That means there are more men than women...with men exceeding women by 5% (source wikipedia and world census data) .More males are being born in western societies than in Africa (don't know why)...but more still die due to male responsibilies and war. But in the end, the average population of males exceed that of females by 5%.

Thanks everyone for quoting raw data from certain sources.

But to understand data, you need to break it down and analyse. Therein lies the usefulness or uselessness of any data. Not just taken at face value.

Maybe I should have included the caveat. The same arguments were raised at a recent seminar.
The conclusion was that there are more women of marriageable age than men. People easily ignore the fact that in many conservative cultures, girls from age 13 or 14 are considered of marriageable age already. While men may not be pressured into marriage until around 20 to 21 in same cultures. Then add the many widows still willing to remarry.

When you consider the wider age range of marriageable women to men that typically marry when older (because culturally, they have to provide for the wife/kids), then women in need of marriage far outstrip men.

The major exception is China, where men outnumber women by around 33 million. And culturally no pressure to marry in teenage years. Same has happened in some other countries where culturally males are preferred. Selective gender foeticide/infanticide is largely responsible for that.

Female infanticide occurs more frequently in some countries like India (to avoid future dowry payment to husband, male seen as more valuable, males likely to be parents "pension", males likely to be richer/earn more to boost extended family, etc) and China due to one-child policy introduced in 1979, where a single male child is preferable to many parents. More than male infanticide.

Considering that both countries make up about 2.7 to 2.8 billion people, gender imbalance there would affect world average male:female ratio. It does not mean that it is natural.

But still in China, girls not married by the age of 27 are colloquially called "left over women", meaning they'd find getting a husband difficult. Even though for youths under the age of 30, there are 20 million excess men. It appears that when it comes to finding a marriage partner, other factors make the odds to be stacked against women. Like age, physique, culture, etc. These seem to easily negate whatever advantages higher male to female ratio would have conferred.

Also various sources quote different figures for gender population.

For example, for the age that really matters, in terms of marriage (age 15 to 64), one source puts the male/female ratio at 0.99/1.0. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio

Also same source puts male/female ratio for over 65s at 0.80/1.0.

It is therefore not surprising that biologically, there needs to be more males conceived. Since many will end in miscarriage, even when born still face more struggle to survive into adulthood, due to genetic, environmental/work & other hazards.

Nature aims to balance things out at the end. But it is not able to take selective gender foeticide/infanticide and wars into account.

When you put genetic (congenital illness killing men at younger age), cultural aspects and daily experience together, women in need of marriage are more than men.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Thecassanova: 12:40am On Apr 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

What of those who do not believe in same God you believe in?

Look around you. Do you not see more young widows than young widowers?

In war, which gender die the most? Men.

I'm not basing my submission on what you think God intended. That is your personal belief. Around 60% of world population (India, China & a larger number of Western population do not believe your God theory).

I am talking based on scientific reality of today.

There is higher population of women than men. Partly due to XY chromosome whereby X-linked diseases male inherit from mother cannot be corrected by another X chromosome like females can do. Miscarriage of male pregnancy is higher & child mortality of males is higher too. Then in adulthood war, hazardous jobs, riskier lifestyle like smoking/drinking, traffic accidents and more all reduce male population well below female's. This is a scientific fact seen around us.

We're very far from Eden where it was just Adam & Eve, driven out long ago to face all kinds of hazards. grin cheesy

In Africa, modern pentecostalism blinds us to what is under our nose korokoro. Even those who would claim to be educate. shocked shocked
Nice response.
And at bolded, that's why color blindness strikes males frequently than females. The localization of the genes encoding the color sensing proteins of the retina on the X chromosome can't be corrected in males, but females have another X so having high chances of correcting the particular gene from the other X.

It's a shame they attacked u even after putting down this much educative insight to explain fragility of man.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by AreaFada2: 12:56am On Apr 16, 2017
Thecassanova:

Nice response.
And at bolded, that's why color blindness strikes males frequently than females. The localization of the genes encoding the color sensing proteins of the retina on the X chromosome can't be corrected in males, but females have another X so having high chances of correcting the particular gene from the other X.

It's a shame they attacked u even after putting down this much educative insight to explain fragility of man.

Well, the attack is welcome. As long as it makes people debate the topic, and hopefully inform themselves better through it. Science has been rather inaccessible to general population in the past.

It is mostly about which population is more, male or female. I thought everyone understood that we're talking about marriageable age population. But alas many took it as the general population.

Also most people are not interested in scientific nitty-gritty but rather simple (sometimes erroneous/subjective) information google & Wiki throw up within 0.00001 seconds from search engine. grin grin

Scientific details can be sometimes boring and counter-intuitive to many. When it goes against widely held views, people respond rather hostile sometimes. But it's all fun. cheesy

Early scientists already caused outrage thousands & hundreds of years ago. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by ungara17: 1:10am On Apr 16, 2017
Na penis u go give them suck as food? One cup of garri na #100.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by QueenSuccubus(f): 1:22am On Apr 16, 2017
menstrualpad:

You sound very bitter

Aha...since when NL has a musical background? undecided

NONSENSE

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by remikunle: 1:37am On Apr 16, 2017
do as you wish
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 4:26am On Apr 16, 2017
okanlawon94:
D only aristo wey i qet sef nvr chop belleful...aw will i feed 2 wives,yhu want me to force those heavenly children to dis world n suffer abi...my broda et cannot werk

Stop dating poor and dependent women and it will work.

Ass, gas or grass, nobody rides for free.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by imagrg(m): 5:30am On Apr 16, 2017
It's immorality everywhere. No regards for chastity; Africa is over-populated.
Too many children; too many responsibilities; too many unemployed; less food to eat; dishonesty reigns and many more vices from many more people because we fail to control our libido!
Remember, HIV/AIDS is REAL!
Marry one wife and enjoy a lasting relationship with her; after all, the thing na the same hole.

3 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by VanBommel(m): 5:48am On Apr 16, 2017
Mrmoz:

[s]No dear that is not the case this generation now see women and as an object for sexual satisfaction a means to an end and no more respect or commitment they don't want the responsibility but wants the enjoyment and to some extent the women too are not helping matters most of them don't kwn their worth so the sell it for a price without kwning how priceless and unique the are in short the world is only becoming more worldly not that I support more than one wife but itz better she is your wife than she is not[/s]
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by demio007: 5:59am On Apr 16, 2017
Polygamy is a not something I pray anyone experienced.

4 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Amajerry83(m): 6:16am On Apr 16, 2017
It's because the women won't allow us marry another woman after them.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 6:19am On Apr 16, 2017
Dojupyo:
Westernization, Modernization, economic recession o, all join.. Christianity is the best thing that happened to me
lmaooo,, aristo go soon claim ur husband
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by MurderX: 6:33am On Apr 16, 2017
We've started again. I just got me a second one. Hehehehe

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by UncleJJ(m): 7:05am On Apr 16, 2017
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 16, 2017
seyigiggle:

yes it is. you don't have to share your husband as in Islam.
you're crazy must you mention Islam in your affairs
wen your religion doesn't have guiding principles, no directions just pick up things from your head and it's correct. Apostle Suleiman no dey cheat abi fool

3 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 16, 2017
Billyonaire:

Everything you write there are accurate except that you have not taken into context the Standard of Life that 15 billion people can have while on this planet.

Scientific papers based on 10yrs research has shown that this planet can sustan 10 billion peasants or subsistent living but if you want to live a Standard Life, like an average American, this planet can not sustain more than 900 million people. So, Yes, if you and I can choose to live like peasants, and go back to living in those 55% (which could be wrong) unhabitable zones/habitable but abandoned zones, then by all means lets keep reproducing but I am personally not interested in living like a peasant on my own planet and I believe no one on nairaland wants to live like a peasant, so we MUST go back to abrogating plural marriage, birth control or reduction in reproductive Sex. Which is what the New World Order wants to achieve using the population reduction strategies of Fluorinating the public water supply, wars, engineering the weather, Promotion of same sex relationships/ marriages and other covet methods of population reduction which is on-going.

I agree with you to a certain extent. About the uninhabited zones, no zone should be classified as uninhabitable...if engineers can recover land from the sea, what's left? It will surprise you to know that due to unwillingness of consecutive generations to make a sacrifice, we keep on living in dangerous zones (like San Francisco which is very earthquake prone, and Dubai which seats on a major fault line) while deserts far away from coastlines and deep forests remain largely abandoned. Who invented money? Who made the rules of money to favour a few and satisfiy their greed? I myself can with dedication and time create a financial system where value is created and there is enough means for everyone to have a standatd life, so far they are willing to work. The only caveat will be that then the definition of the word standard will tend to more of luxury. Its willingness man. But like my dad willnsay, there is enough for the needed of everyman not for the greed of a few. This planet can comfortably sustain twice its current population believe me.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 7:12am On Apr 16, 2017
bukatyne:

God designed one man to marry one woman.

The population of men/women in the whole world is balanced enough to ensure everyone who desires marriage is paired off.

Oga park well jor
were you there wen he was designing it or you're talking about your desire. if he created one woman for one man, my question is Why is he creating more women than men?
be sincere with yourself

5 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 16, 2017
Fundamentalist:

Big lie.
If true , give me the biblical verse that supports it.
thank you bro don't mind that irresponsible guy

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by bigiyaro(m): 7:14am On Apr 16, 2017
who told you they stopped?
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by tintingz(m): 7:14am On Apr 16, 2017
dragonking3:
I suspect that the world report is fabricated so to avoid over population. Look around you will find out that there are more women. Go to your office you will find more women. Go to church, banks, schools, you will find more women.
Lol, where i work we've more men than women, what you stated cannot be used as census for gender stats/ratio.

In football game venues, stadium, there are more men, in engineering companies there are more men than women, you can see your logic doesn't make sense.

Banks need more female customer care and cashiers, churchs are mostly filled by miracle seeking women, women are more religious than men, the school varies, some department are filled with male while some are female, you should see the school registrar to conclude on your gender stats.

The stats that was collated by authorized organizations like UN is not fabricated, the only time there are more women than men was during past wars where men go for wars.

3 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by tintingz(m): 7:46am On Apr 16, 2017
Thecassanova:

Nice response.

AreaFada2:

Well, the attack is welcome. As long as it makes people debate the topic, and hopefully inform themselves better through it. Science has been rather inaccessible to general population in the past.

It is mostly about which population is more, male or female. I thought everyone understood that we're talking about marriageable age population. But alas many took it as the general population.

Also most people are not interested in scientific nitty-gritty but rather simple (sometimes erroneous/subjective) information google & Wiki throw up within 0.00001 seconds from search engine. grin grin

Scientific details can be sometimes boring and counter-intuitive to many. When it goes against widely held views, people respond rather hostile sometimes. But it's all fun. cheesy

Early scientists already caused outrage thousands & hundreds of years ago. tongue

You guys are just spewing rubbish, you didn't even provide references to your biological claim that X-linked dominant inheritance affected gender ratio, claiming women are more than men.

According to Wikipedia the report said:

X-linked dominant traits do not necessarily affect males more than females (unlike X-linked recessive traits). The exact pattern of inheritance varies, depending on whether the father or the mother has the trait of interest. All daughters of an affected father will also be affected but none of his sons will be affected (unless the mother is also affected).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-linked_dominant_inheritance

Your claims that X-linked inheritance affected male depopulation is not true but fallacies, what i know is that men die early than female due to diseases, stroke etc.

The only time men are more than women are during past wars where men only goes for wars, today there are no much wars like the past and women are even joining the military. The authorized stats said men are more than women.

This is from United Nation report:

According to United Nations, Sex ratio of world in 2015 is 101.70. It means that World has 101.70 males for each 100 females or 98.33 females for each 100 males. In absolute terms, World has 61,591,853 more males population than females population
http://statisticstimes.com/population/countries-by-sex-ratio.php

The statistics here from United Nation shows men are more than women, you should provide your evidence from authorized organization that said women are more than men if you can't then all what you posted are fallacies and lies and kindly keep shut.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by coltaine(m): 7:58am On Apr 16, 2017
introvertme:

Abraham who is described in the Bible as "the Friend of God", (James 2: 23) was a polygamist, He married Sarah and Hagar, as it is written: "And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian…. and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife." (Genesis 16: 3)

As a matter of fact, God was in favour of Abraham's marrying Hagar. This point is buttressed by the fact that when Hagar attempted to escape from Abraham's house because of her insubordination, God through His angel ordered her to return and submit to Sarah. He said to Hagar: "Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands... I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude…”- Genesis 16: 5-12.

Some argue that Abraham was impelled by the circumstance of Sarah's barrenness to marry Hagar. This argument is most untenable. If it was forbidden to marry more than one wife, no circumstance would have forced Abraham - a man known for his exemplary character of faith and obedience - to break the rule.

Jacob who had twelve sons through whom the Jewish Nation emerged, was a confirmed polygamist. He married Leah and Rachel and later had their handmaids, Zilpah and Bilhah. (Genesis 29: 21-35; 30: 1-13; 35: 23-26) All of them had children for him and none of his children was treated as "illegitimate". Out of the tribe of Judah, the son of Leah, Jesus Christ the Righteous who is the Saviour of mankind, came into the world; and St. Paul whom even H. G. Wells acknowledged as “a man of great intellectual vigour", and, whom St. Peter commended for his wisdom, sprang up from the tribe of Benjamin the son of Rachel. - Genesis 29: 31-35; 35: 16-18; Matthew 1: 1, 2; Hebrews 7; 14; Philippians 3: 4, 5; 2 Peter 3: 15, 16.

After the twelve tribes of Israel had been organised into a nation, their customs were brought under the strict guidance of the laws which God enacted through Moses. There were laws against incest, fornication, adultery, prostitution and every form of immorality. But nobody can cite a single instance of a law that prohibited a man from marrying more than one wife.

The ancient worthies enjoyed polygamy in abundance of freedom. Gideon was the husband of many wives and he had 70 children. (Judges 8: 30) Elkanah was a polygamist, and it was one of his wives, Hannah, that was the mother of Samuel the famous prophet. (1 Samuel 1: 1-3, 19-20) What about David, the anointed king of Israel, who was described as "a man after God's heart"? He, too, had many wives, and God was not displeased. (2 Samuel 3: 2-5; 5: 12-16) But the moment David overstepped his bounds and committed adultery with Uriah's wife contrary to the divine law (Exodus 20: 14) God showed His disapproval and anger immediately, and subjected David to discipline and caused the child who was the fruit of their adulterous union to pass away. - 2 Samuel 11: 1-12; 12: 23.

The most striking point in the whole incident, which is very relevant to our argument; is that God Himself indicated through His prophet Nathan, that He gave David WIVES to marry. Nathan told David: "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; and I gave thee thy master's (Saul's) house, and THY MASTER'S WIVES into thy bosom...and if that had been too little (not enough), I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things (including wives)."-2 Samuel 12: 7-12.
The point here is, if God did not approve of polygamy, why did He give David his "master's wives" for inheritance?

We cannot do without touching briefly on the issue of King Solomon who was a polygamist to the core. He was the husband of 700 wives and 300 concubines. God was not displeased with him because of his marrying more than one wife. It was when, at his old age, he committed idolatry through the influence of some of his wives who were pagans that he incurred the anger of God. - 1 Kings 11: 1-10.

Anyone who has read the Bible well cannot fail to understand that God's attitude was never in disfavour of polygamy. The practice was legalised, and to this effect God enacted a law to guide the polygamist. As it is written: “If a man has two wives one beloved, and the other hated, and they have had children by him, and the son of the hated be the firstborn; and he meaneth to divide his substance among his sons: he may not make the son of the beloved (wife) the firstborn, and prefer him before the son of the hated (wife): But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn: and shall give him double portion of all he hath. For this is the first of his children: and to him are due the first birthrights."- Deuteronomy 21:15-17. Douay Version.

you guys won't see this o......cos it is in the old testament. they won't follow the old testament, when God spoke to people but will take the word of Paul as law.....issorait

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Bahddo(m): 8:01am On Apr 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

This is medicine, not speculation.

You think everyone on NL just talks anyhow? Some people here on NL actually do cutting-edge stuff.

So you have no idea people actually research into this? Yes people do. The new developments and progress we have to rely on the West to do, do not come by way of miracle, but sheer hard work & dedication. Over decades.

Miscarriages happen mostly because as the foetus develops, defects in vital organs (brain, heart, kidneys, etc) make it incompatible with life. The defects can have various causes like teratogenic medication, chemical exposure, radiation exposure, drug abuse/addiction, etc.

But the main cause is genetic defects which happens to affect more male foetuses. This is what researchers have found by taking & analysing DNA samples from left over of the foetuses for genetic defects linked to gender.

No wonder we Africans are so much in the dark.

It certainly won't make any sense to you. Because using education to enlighten oneself about scientific advancement is hardly the way of many of us Africans. We rather seek miracles instead.

Check census figures for countries and see the breakdown by gender. In light of comments that followed this piece since it was posted 6 days ago, breakdown by gender includes the age ranges (especially one in which reproductive age is covered at 15 to 64).

Anyway, I am not writing to convince you. I'm writing for those scientifically minded/progressive people silently reading here. Those that would actually go and find out about what I have mentioned here.
statistics show there are more males than females in Nigeria and most other countries

5 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Kenchukky(m): 8:05am On Apr 16, 2017
bukatyne:

God designed one man to marry one woman.

The population of men/women in the whole world is balanced enough to ensure everyone who desires marriage is paired off.

The problem is when people who don't read make comments. Do you have an idea of the world population and statistics. As at 2016, the ratio of men to women in the world is 1:50. So how did you come about a balanced world.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by tintingz(m): 8:05am On Apr 16, 2017
Bahddo:
statistics show there are more males than females in Nigeria and most other countries
You are minding them, even United Nations report stats also said men are more than women in the world.

5 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by coltaine(m): 8:12am On Apr 16, 2017
http://countrymeters.info/en/World

you guys should check this out, don't know the authenticity of this though, it is like a clock, u choose the country nd it gives you the stats, reason why i said i can't vouch for the authenticity is that every second it shows people re dying nd babies re born, like it reads every sec

mind u, use chrome or uc web browser not mini if u want to check it out........the stats in d screenshot below re for nigeria as at d time stated in the screenshot

3 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by onegig(m): 8:59am On Apr 16, 2017
tintingz:
You are minding them, even United Nations report stats also said men are more than women in the world.

You are muddling up everything. Yeah men maybe more than women but there are more women of marriageable age than men. An average female is ready for marriage as early as age 16 in most cultures while her male counterpart is just starting out life and may not be ready till he reaches the age of 28 or even early 30s. The society expects men to be providers of the family and i doubt you would have a 16 year old guy or even a 21 year old guy who's ready to shoulder the responsibility of catering for a family.

Meanwhile you have millions of ladies at that age already ready for marriage which akews the balance thus making it that there are much more available ladies for marriage than there are capable men willing to start a family.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Jman06(m): 9:08am On Apr 16, 2017
From what i see in polygamous homes around me, i think it is suicidal for any man to marry more than one wife.
One is enough trouble already.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Husband Won’t Help With House Chores / "How My Friend Tried To Destroy My Matrimonial Home" - Woman Reveals / A Nairalander's Grandma Needs Her Way Back Home - Help Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.