Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

The Only Cure For HIV - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Only Cure For HIV (36001 Views)

Dinavir: New Cure For HIV Discovered In Russia / Lady Designs Condom Made Cloth For Hiv Awareness (photo) / New Names Emerge For HIV/AIDS, Prostitutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Only Cure For HIV by Ndlistic(m): 8:42pm On Mar 30, 2017
HIV is one of the most dreaded diseases in the world and it is not difficult to see why this disease is so scary.

You only have to see the poignant progression that this disease follows, leading to AIDS in some cases and leaving the patient, a debilitated mass of bony flesh.

So, how comforting would it be to many who are currently battling this disease to know that there is actually a cure, and there has been one since as far back as 2008.

There is a saying that goes What you don't know doesn't kill you; but in the case of HIV, what you didn't know was actually killing you. Silently.

HIV works by attaching itself to a protein called CCR5 in the patient's cells and replication continues until the body is ravaged by the disease. There are people who have a genetic mutation that makes them lack this CCR5. No CCR5, no protein for HIV to latch on to, so such people are immune to the disease and the cure of this disease lies with these people.

About 1% of the Caucasian population have this trait, hence the immunity.

There is a man called Timothy Ray Brown who had HIV in the mid-nineties and lived with the virus for 11 years till 2006. He had been managing his HIV albeit not too successfully but managing it the same till fate dealt another blow on him in 2006; he had developed a form of cancer known as acute myeloid leukemia.

His doctors decided to give him a bone marrow transplant for the leukemia and probably thought that since they would be giving him the transplant, they might as well get him a donor from the 1% of people that are resistant to HIV, which was what they did.

After the transplant, he was cured of the leukemia AND the HIV. To date, he has been free of HIV completely and he even set up a foundation to help with the cure for HIV.

The cure for HIV, though still in research would obviously not be too far from this.

Currently, due to the limitations of science, the bone marrow transplant is not advised unless it is a life or death situation due to the risks involved in bone marrow transplant.

Science is evolving everyday and what could not be done, say, 10 years ago can now be done and even the bone marrow transplant can be carried out without the intrusive bone marrow operation. What is needed can now be obtained from the blood of the donor.

This gives hope that those living with HIV would soon heave a sigh of relief. People with HIV can talk to their doctors about this option and if it would be right for them. Even if it isn't, the eureka moment cannot be too far on the horizon.

http://mtn.laffhub.com/blog/the-only-cure-for-hiv

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
I thought Tb Joshua can cure HIV too

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
I thought the only cure was meeting a pastor to cast and bind it from your system

Nigerians are finally getting sense

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by fabuloz1(m): 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
Mehn...i didn't read this thread. I have not said anything grin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by DieIpobExposed: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
g
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by veekid(m): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
Lemme come and b going

1 Like

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
I need to stick to my lovely bae like super glue o.

1 Like

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by kingvectorv(m): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
Just Negodu... this OP with him lies

Abeg Checkout:
http://www.yukhub.ga/139/how-my-husband-ráped-his-7-month-old-step-daughter-in-katsina-–-wife-opens-up
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by soberdrunk(m): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
Every guy freaks out when he hears that a girl he has been 'getting down' with has died, the tension disappears when he finds out the cause of death wasnt 'health related'........ angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by zainabxel(f): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
The skin to skin crew would love this news

19 Likes

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by oluwaVaz(m): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
Space for sale...

1 Like

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by tintall(m): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
First Time on Front Page.
I dedicated this to all flesh to flesh crew that have HIV, you shall live long. God gat ya'll

2 Likes

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Flexherbal(m): 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
" There are people who have a genetic mutation that makes them lack this CCR5. No CCR5, no protein for HIV to latch on to, so such people are immune to the disease and the cure of this disease lies with these people."

8 Likes

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
ok
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by HQuadreal: 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
Hmmm. Clear Throat.
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
hmmm, bone marrow transplant. the president of a certain countryi comes to mind. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by AreaFada2: 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
Much work going on.
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by fabuloz1(m): 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
Japhet04:
G
DieIpobExposed:
g
veekid:
Ok
BlackAfrican:
Chai
kingvectorv:
Hm
bjhaid:

Just look at how you guys are gifting bloggers free money. Say something meaningful grin

11 Likes

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by momodub: 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
Hmmm see research
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by b3llo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
Abstinence and self care is the best way...
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by piperson(m): 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
what if I tell you that everybody in this thread is HIV positive except me kiss
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by lollmaolol(m): 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
Blood of donor, how?
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by voicelez: 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
this is the cure

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Chukabiz(m): 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2017

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Taiwojolly(m): 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2017
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by tolurainbow(m): 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by lonelydora: 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2017
Ok
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Joshak(m): 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2017
Hmmmmm
Ther can't be a cure .
Never!
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2017
Re: The Only Cure For HIV by Eazylion: 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2017
where is the cur nah??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Things You Should Start Doing To Live Longer / U.S Hospital Charges Woman $40 For Crying In The Doctor's Office (Photos) / 5 Things To Do Everyday To Keep Your Heart Healthy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.