Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" (39565 Views)

Speaker Gbajabiamila Teaches Students In Katsina Government School / Tinubu Blasted As He 'Teaches Atiku Abubakar A Lesson' At Lagos APC Rally / Atiku Replies A Twitter User On Restructuring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by LionDeLeo: 9:53am On Mar 31, 2017
Jung:
It was not about punctuation sir. Please check again. " I am" and "am" na punctuation?? Na Wa oh. Even your sentence no get better punctuation
angry

Dude, you don't just drag in commas, colons, semi colons etc when there is no need for one. Which one is "better punctuation" again? You should have pointed out the areas that require "better punctuation".
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by BruzMoney(m): 9:55am On Mar 31, 2017
musicwriter:
Africans!!. It's time to get out of the box. We did not opt to speaking English, rather, English is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors during colonialism. We have over 2,000 languages languishing in obscurity in Africa, some threatened with extinction, because we're busy fooling around learning someone else's language.

Yet, some of you ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved for too long. Well, what they were doing is the same thing you're doing today. They got used to obeying white people that they despised our languages, like you. So, you're really no different than a slave!!.

Europe doesn't have more than 50 languages, yet we throw away our 2,000 languages following a continent that have less. What a shame!

Moreover, twitter is not an English classroom.

Asians (except Philippines) has long dropped this mentality and has placed more attention on their native languages in schools and society. The result is feeling of self-worth, confidence, development.

you should just write this in your local dialect to start what you preach.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 31, 2017
Anytime you post a screenshot and quote me you'll only be making a fool of yourself. It is "Use of English" not "uses of English".

Why not read along the lines you quoted in "your" screenshot, it may help you understand.

I won't waste time on someone who isn't sharp as you'll still not get it and continue to quote and post. Goodluck on your reading, bloke!

LionDeLeo:

What exactly is your problem with "uses"?

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by dunkem21(m): 9:56am On Mar 31, 2017
Chonbale:
Thanks to naiaraland

You actually clapped back? cheesy

Na this kain thing dey make me kukuma dey yarn for broken pidgin ..

You can never be wrong grin

1 Like

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by musicwriter(m): 9:57am On Mar 31, 2017
BruzMoney:

you should just write this in your local dialect to start what you preach.

Why do you think I' am unable to do so?
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by teelaw4life(m): 9:57am On Mar 31, 2017
LionDeLeo:
While not holding brief for Chon-Bale, I think the handler goofed as well especially his punctuation since his grouse on the tweet borders on punctuation. The last statement requires a full or partial termination after "Am" (a full stop or a comma) b4 the question "Okay?".

Even AS Hornby, the principal author of The Oxford Advanced Learners' Dictionary has handful of shortcomings in English, so nobody is perfect, especially in English language.

Nicely spotted. I no dey claim to sabi english pass, even the english sef no sabi english. But anytime i wan correct error for person write-up, i always make sure mine is at least 99.99999% accurate grammatically. That efcc handler is just as guilty as the yeye dude.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by LionDeLeo: 10:05am On Mar 31, 2017
sammydirectly:

That is forgiveable. In twitter, you only have the benefits of 160 characters, so he was managing space and yet tried to make sense.
I bet you were ignorant of this.

You can go and lick the ass of the handler for his "infallibility", that is your fvcking biz. If number of permissible characters are limited, aren't there ways he could have abbreviated the texts considering the message he was passing across? If his mistake is forgiveable, same should be applied to the dude, since both are guilty of omissions in view of space constraints.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by LionDeLeo: 10:12am On Mar 31, 2017
[s]
Nazeren:
Anytime you post a screenshot and quote me you'll only be making a fool of yourself. It is "Use of English" not "uses of English".

Why not read along the lines you quoted in "your" screenshot, it may help you understand.

I won't waste time on someone who isn't sharp as you'll still not get it and continue to quote and post. Goodluck on your reading, bloke!

[/s]

***still searching in the poo how "uses" is wrong in the context***
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by webmasterezra: 10:15am On Mar 31, 2017
LionDeLeo:
While not holding brief for Chon-Bale, I think the handler goofed as well especially his punctuation since his grouse on the tweet borders on punctuation. The last statement requires a full or partial termination after "Am" (a full stop or a comma) b4 the question "Okay?".

Even AS Hornby, the principal author of The Oxford Advanced Learners' Dictionary has handful of shortcomings in English, so nobody is perfect, especially in English language.

It is ''especially in the English language''.. Also, it is ''a handful of shortcomings'' not ''handful of shortcomings''

1 Like

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by edebemba(m): 10:16am On Mar 31, 2017
TPAND:
Chaiiiiii EFCC just gave that guy a finishing. But Walt first when did EFCC start this grammatical tenses faulting

It is a strategy by the EFCC to wade off some irresponsible tweeters. At least, if you are not sure of what to say or your grammar, you do not near their tweeter handle. That's good idea by their handler. I love it.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by pcei: 10:16am On Mar 31, 2017
lilbest4:
Most Nigerians don't know the difference between "am" and "I'm" ,
"those" and "does",
"there" and "their" ,"it's" and "its".

primary school teachers need to be flogged mercilessly.
hahahaahahahahahahahahaha, I don die
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Kobicove(m): 10:17am On Mar 31, 2017
Nigerians are incorrigible...I have had to correct some many people on this error yet they keep writing the same rubbish undecided
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by pcei: 10:19am On Mar 31, 2017
ZirdoRoray:

Read your own post. It is contains both grammatical and punctuation errors. You are making a correction of the wrong use of English language by @officialEFCC twitter handle and yet you can not get yours right. The truth is the tweet by @officialEFCC is witty, admit it. Nobody is perfect.
having read yours, grammatical error detected. "It is contains both..."

1 Like

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by LionDeLeo: 10:20am On Mar 31, 2017
[s]
webmasterezra:

It is ''especially in the English language''.. Also, it is ''a handful of shortcomings'' not ''handful of shortcomings''
[/s]

Did you read the last line in the post you just quoted? If you didn't, pls do and buzz off my mention b4 I pee on your gorimakpa.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Deilluminator(m): 10:24am On Mar 31, 2017
ZirdoRoray:

Read your own post. It is contains both grammatical and punctuation errors. You are making a correction of the wrong use of English language by @officialEFCC twitter handle and yet you can not get yours right. The truth is the tweet by @officialEFCC is witty, admit it. Nobody is perfect.
IT IS CONTAINS... NOBODY IS PERFECT LOL

1 Like

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by AllHailBiafra(m): 10:25am On Mar 31, 2017
Ok, but I'd like to get the explanation for the word "as in" is it found in any version of the dictionaries? If I fail to get the clear explanation and convinced on the use of the word, then the EFCC guy is neither grammatically correct.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by educute(m): 10:29am On Mar 31, 2017
SwiftNation:

Even the "young" should've been "youngs" since he used "theirs".
I think in our use of English, we should desist from such usage like the twitter handler's.
pass me the blunt

1 Like

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Eddiecute86(m): 10:39am On Mar 31, 2017
slapacha:

U commited the same blunder.. keep laughing
That wasn't a blurnder, that was an act of mimicing. Read the phrase in brackect
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by webmasterezra: 10:43am On Mar 31, 2017
SwiftNation:

[s]Even the "young" should've been "youngs" since he used "theirs".
[/s]
I think in our use of English, we should desist from such usage like the twitter handler's.

Young man, you are fantastically clueless. There's no grammatical relationship between ''the young'' and ''theirs''.. ''young'' as used in that sentence is an adnoun. Adnouns are plural in nature, they don't require any ''s'' to form their plurals. Examples of adnouns are ''the rich'', ''the poor'', the meek'', etc.

However, ''theirs'' is merely a possessive pronoun like ''yours'', ''hers'', etc. It's NOT the plural form of ''their''.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by charlesucheh(m): 10:43am On Mar 31, 2017
Chai!

Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by isaac65: 10:48am On Mar 31, 2017
Guys let us chill now. I think using "am" is allowed if the conversation is informal. Have a lovely day.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Ishilove: 11:02am On Mar 31, 2017
SuperSuave:
Good for the e-diot!! One of the people disgracing Nigeria with their shameful "am" all over the place. angry

In short, it is now so rampant that people actually think 'am' is right and 'I'm' is wrong.

Soberdrunk, take note
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by joseph1832(m): 11:04am On Mar 31, 2017
Ishilove:

In short, it is now so rampant that people actually think 'am' is right and 'I'm' is wrong.

Soberdrunk, take note
What is 'am' in your native dialect, Ishi?
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by soberdrunk(m): 11:14am On Mar 31, 2017
Ishilove:

Soberdrunk, take note

Hehehe!! Shay i will not kuku come and register for English Lessons like this?
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Esdb3: 11:25am On Mar 31, 2017
LionDeLeo:

the human the efcc handle quoted is dull because the 'nobody's above error' phrase doesnt cover a schooled persons inability to know it's i'm! and not am. that's like the most laughable error a learned person can commit.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Moj0: 11:32am On Mar 31, 2017
TPAND:
Chaiiiiii EFCC just gave that guy a finishing. But Walt first when did EFCC start this grammatical tenses faulting

Using correct grammatical tenses cuts across our daily communication... Remember we were all thought basic grammar in school.
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Ishilove: 11:35am On Mar 31, 2017
joseph1832:
What is 'am' in your native dialect, Ishi?
Mbu
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Ishilove: 11:37am On Mar 31, 2017
soberdrunk:

Hehehe!! Shay i will not kuku come and register for English Lessons like this?
Oya come and register sharpaly
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by soberdrunk(m): 11:41am On Mar 31, 2017
Ishilove:

angry my English teacher using "sharpaly", omo igboro.....
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by webmasterezra: 11:44am On Mar 31, 2017
Ishilove:

I just read your literary works, thanks to your signature. But they are boringly nice. I hope to see some improvements some day...
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 31, 2017
LionDeLeo:

I'm Hausa and I write in Hausa even better.

Meanwhile, in addition to the fixed/corrected, the coined "engliologist" requires the addition of "s". grin
hehehehhehe, wehdon ooooo, correction noted, Mr havard engliologist
Re: EFCC Teaches Twitter User On The Use Of "Am" & "I'm" by LionDeLeo: 12:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
2dugged:
hehehehhehe, wehdon ooooo, correction noted, Mr havard engliologist

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Zamfara: Military Airstrikes Can't Kill Us, We Get Information Ahead Of Attack / EFCC Storms Maina’s $2 Million Mansion In Abuja / I Visited Obasanjo Library And Resort In Abeokuta, Ogun State (pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.