Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration (58388 Views)

Corper Abu Bakr Bilyamin Receives N198,000 Instead Of N19,800 Monthly Allawee / Certificates Acquired During NYSC / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by sotall(m): 10:15pm On Mar 31, 2017
ok
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by adioolayi(m): 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
Karaye Camp.... Kano Corper 2009!

I enjoyed my service year back then... everything was cheap for real.

Just that the Bokoharam thing worth the fear.... I worship on Sundays at BUK Chapel, being the only church in the whole of Gwale local government back then... Fear catch me when the Chapel was bombed in 2011....Had it been it was 2009 or 2010, I would have been a victim!

10 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by NLevents: 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
I believe anywhere is important as long as you are serving your father's land

Coming to town next month. Nairaland pool party. This is going to be fun. Trust me!

Check my signature for more information

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by goingape1: 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
mrphysics:
This might sound as a shock against the popular belief people have. Well, I will be passing out on Friday, 7th April, 2017. Having been in NYSC scheme for a year, I think I am in the best position to make my analysis. Well, so many persons believe that Abuja and Akwa Ibom state will be their first and second choice for NYSC, but the truth is that, Kano state is actually better than the duo state. Here are my humble submission.

State Allowance
Unlike what it used to be before, Akwa Ibom is no longer paying the N10,000 monthly allowance to corps members, same as Abuja, and hence there is no need going to these states. While N5,000 in Kano is equivalent to N20,000 in Abuja and Akwa Ibom, i wonder why anyone will not go for Kano. Kano state has started paying corps member, they started with this Batch A who are about to pass out. Hence, since N5000 in Kano is equivalent to N20,000 in Abuja and Akwa Ibom, choosing the two state is to live a life of no savings during the service year.

Place of Primary Assignment
If you are looking for a good place to be during your service year, then Kano state should be your first choice. With lots of industries using NYSC labour, Kano state has proven to absorb more corps members than most other states. As a commercial city, Kano has become a home to numerous corps members who have gotten a work or gotten themselves in different business while serving their country.

Cheap Food
Let's just say that, a sachet of water is still sold for N5 in Kano, a cup of beans sold for N40 in Kano, these prices is what you will never get in Abuja or Akwa Ibom. My colleagues serving in both states have been crying, that though some PPA's pays N10k, it becomes useless as the purchasing power of money is low in the two states. I still buy my tomatoes for N40, pepper N10, and Onions N10, these items will be in good quantity except if you are serving in Sabon gari where Igbo's and Yoruba's dominate for business purposes. Things are relatively cheap over here and there is no way your N19800, won't remain at the end of the month.

Security
For one year that I have been in Kano, I can tell you that we have enjoyed a peaceful atmosphere and everything has been going well. The NYSC officials has been great in the affairs of corps members. You are highly respected by the people for being a corps member and they regard and respect your security. Just go with your I.D card and you are always safe anywhere.

Development
So many persons who have not being to kano think that the city is not developed simply because it is located in the north. The reverse is the case. The truth is that, Kano is more developed than Akwa Ibom ( I have been to this state severally), Enugu, and other states. The infrastructural development in Kano beats that of kaduna, so feel free, you are coming to the biggest city in the North.

Light
Well, let me say that Kano State enjoy constant light. And it is even better when serving in the village. Some corps members do not pay for light, while others pay as low as N100. Unlike what is obtainable in Abuja and Akwa Ibom. My colleague in Akwa Ibom and Abuja always complain about light, though it may depend on which part of the state they are. But even if you stay in Kano village, just be assured that you will always have light.

From the above reasons, I urge 2017 batch A prospective corps members to avoid making mistakes their colleagues make by choosing Akwa Ibom or Abuja and end up crying on the long run. N19800 is too little to depend on, or even paying higher amount for nothing. You are choosing Abuja, can you afford the transportation? Abuja is not for N19800 corpers. You are choosing Akwa Ibom, can you feed yourself for a month with N19800 and still have a savings?.
If you finally make it to kano, and you are posted to the city, send me an email, I will link you up to a good PPA, especially those that would be posted to Gwale Local Government. Thanks and have a nice service year.

Dedicated to Pocohantas
after nysc you will find out that life is vanity!
anywhere ya serve just make the best of it.

during our time it was like hell.
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by FLYFIRE(m): 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
Kano....the DIRTIEST city in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by goingape1: 10:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
FLYFIRE:
Kano....the DIRTIEST city in Nigeria
not kano but Lagos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by amokeme(f): 10:20pm On Mar 31, 2017
I love my city cool cool cool
Kanawa all the way

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by chiefolododo(m): 10:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
I will consider KANO

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 31, 2017
Mrphysics but you can't compare the social life in akwa ibom and Abuja to kano, unless you are the type that doesn't socialize

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by pazienza(m): 10:23pm On Mar 31, 2017
The
truth is that, Kano is more developed than Akwa
Ibom ( I have been to this state severally), Enugu,
and other states.

Please, next time, keep Enugu or any other part of Igboland out of your ramblings.

Kano is not more developed than Enugu.

Yes! It has more population,,but that's where it ends.
Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Heeyhun(f): 10:24pm On Mar 31, 2017
Not redeploying back to southwest is one of my best decisions. Kano will make you live large on your #19800

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by FLYFIRE(m): 10:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
goingape1:
not kano but Lagos
I thought so until I spent time in Kano

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 31, 2017
Serving in a place where you could be lynched for not practising religion, or for having a nice chat with a married woman. That's equivalent to selling your freedom for money...

16 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by goingape1: 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
FLYFIRE:
I thought so until I spent time in Kano
before kano was second in line!
check kano state now! you will see the different

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by iamkingzlee(m): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
wizzyrich:
I cut my hair for 100 naira.

You can't even finish tomatoes and pepper of 100 naira in my ppa.

My ppa gives me food items like rice, beans, palm and groundnut oil, maggi, lipton, corn(for Tuwo) etc.

There's power supply but if PHCN misbehaves, we charge our phone for 20 naira but I charge at the saloon were I normally cut my hair.

Free accommodation with water(both tap and borehole water). The list goes on and on, what more can I be looking for. This place is LG, life is good.
You don't mean it shocked
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by twentysixteen(f): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
I agree totally with the poster, kano indeed is a 'small heaven', I love that peaceful city, left there last year, missing it so much.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by FLYFIRE(m): 10:30pm On Mar 31, 2017
goingape1:
before kano was second in line!
check kano state now! you will see the different
Kano is still
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:32pm On Mar 31, 2017
The OP is paints an alluring picture of a welcoming and peaceful Kano
Yes its all fun and games until the Muslim fanatics instigated by the politicians shout "allah akbar" and cut off your head.

If you value your life steer clear of all northern states. Do your one year service in a peaceful state, get it over with, and get out of there.
Nigeria is too volatile to take blind risks because you want to take advantage of cheap cost of living.

A word is enough for the wise.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Nickfriday(m): 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
Kwankwaso made kano
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by goingape1: 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
FLYFIRE:
Kano is still
ya living in kano?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Chriswazo(m): 10:34pm On Mar 31, 2017
Mrphysics! you again who send u this time?, cos I know u were threatened by some kano locals d last time u ranted about Kano. Anyway I believe you, though I know the part of light was exaggerated, Kano is in Nigeria.
My only question to you bro is how safe is kano for igbos that lives outside sabon gari

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by eternalcity(m): 10:35pm On Mar 31, 2017
I served in Nassarawa Local Government, Yankaba precisely. Kano is a good place to be.

But there are things to watch out for, like: girls should watch out for those predator ritualist who are fond of offering lift and goodlife only to waste the girls later on.
We have hostile Malo guys who hide under the guise of religion to harass Corp members. If you are serving in certain local govts outside Kano city, be ready for dress code whether male or female.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by obong003(m): 10:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Wow, this is great. OP, please help me, i would love to contact you more via email. This is mine, danielobong@gmail.com. I was looking at Abuja o! But Kano, here i come!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Teaser4(m): 10:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
kano state of mind
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
mrphysics:
This might sound as a shock against the popular belief people have. Well, I will be passing out on Friday, 7th April, 2017. Having been in NYSC scheme for a year, I think I am in the best position to make my analysis. Well, so many persons believe that Abuja and Akwa Ibom state will be their first and second choice for NYSC, but the truth is that, Kano state is actually better than the duo state. Here are my humble submission.

State Allowance
Unlike what it used to be before, Akwa Ibom is no longer paying the N10,000 monthly allowance to corps members, same as Abuja, and hence there is no need going to these states. While N5,000 in Kano is equivalent to N20,000 in Abuja and Akwa Ibom, i wonder why anyone will not go for Kano. Kano state has started paying corps member, they started with this Batch A who are about to pass out. Hence, since N5000 in Kano is equivalent to N20,000 in Abuja and Akwa Ibom, choosing the two state is to live a life of no savings during the service year.

If you are looking for a good place to be during your service year, then Kano state should be your first choice. With lots of industries using NYSC labour, Kano state has proven to absorb more corps members than most other states. As a commercial city, Kano has become a home to numerous corps members who have gotten a work or gotten themselves in different business while serving their country.

Cheap Food
Let's just say that, a sachet of water is still sold for N5 in Kano, a cup of beans sold for N40 in Kano, these prices is what you will never get in Abuja or Akwa Ibom. My colleagues serving in both states have been crying, that though some PPA's pays N10k, it becomes useless as the purchasing power of money is low in the two states. I still buy my tomatoes for N40, pepper N10, and Onions N10, these items will be in good quantity except if you are serving in Sabon gari where Igbo's and Yoruba's dominate for business purposes. Things are relatively cheap over here and there is no way your N19800, won't remain at the end of the month.

Security
For one year that I have been in Kano, I can tell you that we have enjoyed a peaceful atmosphere and everything has been going well. The NYSC officials has been great in the affairs of corps members. You are highly respected by the people for being a corps member and they regard and respect your security. Just go with your I.D card and you are always safe anywhere.

Development
So many persons who have not being to kano think that the city is not developed simply because it is located in the north. The reverse is the case. The truth is that, Kano is more developed than Akwa Ibom ( I have been to this state severally), Enugu, and other states. The infrastructural development in Kano beats that of kaduna, so feel free, you are coming to the biggest city in the North.

Light
Well, let me say that Kano State enjoy constant light. And it is even better when serving in the village. Some corps members do not pay for light, while others pay as low as N100. Unlike what is obtainable in Abuja and Akwa Ibom. My colleague in Akwa Ibom and Abuja always complain about light, though it may depend on which part of the state they are. But even if you stay in Kano village, just be assured that you will always have light.

From the above reasons, I urge 2017 batch A prospective corps members to avoid making mistakes their colleagues make by choosing Akwa Ibom or Abuja and end up crying on the long run. N19800 is too little to depend on, or even paying higher amount for nothing. You are choosing Abuja, can you afford the transportation? Abuja is not for N19800 corpers. You are choosing Akwa Ibom, can you feed yourself for a month with N19800 and still have a savings?.
If you finally make it to kano, and you are posted to the city, send me an email, I will link you up to a good PPA, especially those that would be posted to Gwale Local Government. Thanks and have a nice service year.

Dedicated to Pocohantas
How about medical corpers? I heard they are paid more than 5k in Akwa Ibom and Abuja. I don't know how well they are paid in Kano but I still hear Abuja, Akwa Ibom and Kaduna is very good for us. I really want to know where best to serve as a medical corper.
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Heeyhun:
Not redeploying back to southwest is one of my best decisions. Kano will make you live large on your #19800
still serving dere?
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by joinnow: 10:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Development
So many persons who have not being to kano think that the city is not developed simply because it is located in the north. The reverse is the case. The truth is that, Kano is more developed than Akwa Ibom ( I have been to this state severally), Enugu, and other states. The [b]infrastructural development in Kano beats that of kaduna, [/b]so feel free, you are coming to the biggest city in the North.

Light yes they always take it on Sunday (I believe you know why)
Security haba u cannot compare Abuja or akwa IBM to Kano joor

But my highlighted bros easy now Kd get more in term of infrastructure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by bezimo(m): 10:39pm On Mar 31, 2017
Was it not in Kano those abok1 killed those corpers during election..
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by LarryBeryl(m): 10:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
mrphysics:

State Allowance

Cheap Food

Security

Development

Light

Dedicated to Pocohantas

When November comes... Kano all the way but first reply my mail
Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Chriswazo(m): 10:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
Bashnigga:
I want to serve in Kano angry angry

gringringringringrin, there goes our apriko master! continue looking for 40 naira tomatoes and 10 naira pepper, gringringringrin
Segunk1, call others may d come see how free things wan carry our guy.
But excuse o, I am still ccontemplating between Kadunna and Kano ooo, hmmm! I c u are made up already.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Nobody: 10:46pm On Mar 31, 2017
destinysaid:
sharia law isn't just laws, its a guideline on how to live a good Muslim life, it is derived first directly from the Quran and other Islamic teachings

Now if I should be caught at night discussing with a female friend what would happen to me,
Or I refuse to acknowledge Allah as the one true God,
U forget that while ppl like u n I might not take religious issues too hard, the average almajiri will not hear me for a second before I'm sliced down or dragged to be stoned.

What if I want to preach the gospel? Or HV u forgotten the Christian woman killed in cold blood in Abj?

The idea that sharia law is scary is due to the fluid nature of it, its not some laid down rule, therefore it can be used as a cover for illicit acts.
Not only moral. Conduct is addressed in sharia law

Stop hyping unnecessary issues, unless you provoke die-hard religious fanatics, Nobody will care when you talk to a female, preach ur gospel near ur church, not pee near Islamic schools etc. JUST BEHAVE LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING. HAUSAS DONT CARE WETHER YOU ARE QN IDOL WORSHIPPER AS LONG AS YOU DON'T PROVOKE THEM

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Choose Kano Instead Of Abuja & Akwa Ibom During NYSC Registration by Chriswazo(m): 10:49pm On Mar 31, 2017
Bashnigga I want u to do a poll review for me, just edit ur post that's on FP to include "if u think Kano is better than Kadunna for NYSC, click 'like', if u disagree, click 'share'". Abeg bro

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

2 Ebonyi Corpers To Wed, Pre-wedding Photos Released / NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading / FG Increases NYSC Allowance To N49,800 - APC Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.