Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? (31557 Views)

Difference Between Busy And Productive / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Institute Of Drilling And Petroleum Engineering Course Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by frankopit: 3:58pm On Apr 03, 2017
in Your Postgraduate
@Msc Level if u are not thought on Operation research, Optimization problem ,Machine learning,Artificial Intelligence,

and how to solving complex problem with Algorithms in data mining.
Optimization problem using artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning algorithms(

ABC, KNN, SVM, Natural network,
Linear Regression
Logistic Regression
Decision Tree
SVM
Naive Bayes
KNN
K-Means
Random Forest
Dimensionality Reduction Algorithms
Gradient Boost & Adaboost

)
then u missed a lot in computer science
other once are easy to learn even by going to obtain a road side certificate u can learn(Java,database,C++,C#)
etc

I Specialize and Research In using Machine Learning Algorithm to solve Optimization problem.

catch me on twitter @frankputer to get more on machine learning, Big data,data mining .
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by bukiboy(m): 4:01pm On Apr 03, 2017
gtech2sure:
Computer Engineering is wide beyond as many thinks about it in Nigeria. It gives you a multiple chance of getting a job. It deals with hardwares (basic), Networking, communication i.e. transmission of radio frequency from one point to another, GSM Technology i.e. Sending digital signals within a geographical region, electronics design as well as programming.

While computer science only base on programming both web and application and little of networking.

But there is no way you can aquire all these in any of Nigeria Institution either Polytechnic or university except you go out to learn them. For me is like the two courses is more advance than the knowledge of our lecturers.

The only advice i have for you is to opt for Elect/Elect but if you have ability to aquire all those knowledge on your own, you can go for Computer Engineering.

na from LASU I learn all these things you listed above. though your interest go help you study more and you get interent now which will make learning more fun and wide.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by darkhorizon: 4:01pm On Apr 03, 2017
PROPHETmichael:
In summary, if you love mathematics, go for computer Engineering but if you're only good at basic math then Computer science is for you.

Computer Engineering will earn you B.Eng. (Bachelor of Engineering) a first university degree in engineering.
Computer Science will earn you BSc (Bachelor of Science).

You made no sense with your first statement, CS is actually a branch of Mathematics
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by bukiboy(m): 4:05pm On Apr 03, 2017
marisdgreat:
well am proud to be a computer science student fr IMT poly Enugu. d most important thing is for u to go outside n learn a computer skill cos while in school it is only theory they do lecture us. even in the theory aspect they r not trying, it is just for u to read n pass their exams. am currently on my IT cos of the computer training I attended before gaining admission n it was those knowledge n skills that am using now. pls don't mind my grammars

and you your foundation (theory) is not strong how you fit raise the building (practical). I remember wen I dey school some dey talk say we no go need all the things we dey learn from school, thank God I no listen to them. dos things help me when I dey for telecoms.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Chukwuka16: 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2017
It might be instructive to point out that the traditional definition of courses might no longer hold. As has been rightly argued, the ability to transfer skills across various jobs is what's critical. How else do you explain psychologists now leading research on energy demand studies and supervising research students (MS and PhD) in engineering domiciled disciplines? Simple, research is now multi-disciplinary and so the fine line distinguishing most disciplines has been eroded. I do not think it would be helpful arguing over the superiority of CS or Comp Engr over themselves. No one really cares again. Can you transfer your CS knowledge and solve engineering problems? How flexible are you in transferring your skills across professions - that's the key. I'm currently working with a social scientist at KCL who is using data and other emerging trends (sentiment analysis and social behaviour modelling) in modelling situational decisions taken during wars/conflicts. That doesn't even cut the absurdity of other multidisciplinary collaborations!
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2017
miketayo:

aside from C & C++ wat other languages did u study, was there a course on algorithm or data mining.. computer Sci is way bigger than u think. Engr is a good course, its just useless in this part of the world

Embedded systems/programming
Software engineering & microprocessors

Been a while bro..I don forget.. finished the first degree in '03

Coincidentally, my MSc in Information Engineering (EE) had more computer science modules
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by darkhorizon: 4:12pm On Apr 03, 2017
OP since you are going for a first degree(Bsc) i will advice you apply for a field which is broad.
I will recommend Electrical Engineering or Physics,since i can sense that your choice for CE and CS is actually from a love for Electronics.

You can learn programming as a hobby. Moreover,programming these days is not restricted to any particular field.

Also,don't be surprised that at the end of studying these courses( EE or Physics) ,your interest might shift from Electronics and it's derivatives to Energy , Photonics, Telecommunication etc... or might still stay with Electronics,who knows?

And EE or Physics actually prepares you for these various fields which you can later go into during your PG.
Good Luck. Cheers.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by marisdgreat(f): 4:17pm On Apr 03, 2017
bukiboy:

and you your foundation (theory) is not strong how you fit raise the building (practical). I remember wen I dey school some dey talk say we no go need all the things we dey learn from school, thank God I no listen to them. dos things help me when I dey for telecoms.
am talking of my Dept in IMT those lecturers they r not trying ask anybody
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Danosaur007(m): 4:18pm On Apr 03, 2017
NotNairalandi:
op my elder brother is a computer scientist while my younger brother is a computer engineer ......the only diff bettween two of them is their bank account balance grin grin grin

Who earns more? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by AkumahTalk(m): 4:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
In summary Computer Science is a generalist course that focuses primarily on Software development and the "behind the scenes" of software. It may touch on other areas of IT but that depends on the school you're planning to attend. Computer Engineering is actually: Computer Science + Electrical Engineering. There are great articles you may find relevant on this blog www.techbusiness101.com Just browse through
poindexter229:
HelooNlanders. I’ve been a member of this forum for quite some time now and I must confess its been really informative and entertaining.
I’m having a bit of problem choosing my career prospect and would really love the experienced ones & graduates to help a brother on the matter.

I’m literally a Jambite who wants to study Computer Engineering in the university because someone ones told me that computer engineering course covers both the technical and software aspect of a computer whilst Computer Science deals on only the software part of a computer. I chose engineering because I wanted to use my full potentials and to cover more in the era of technology (I’m pretty good at maths).

But currently I’m hearing different stories bout computer engineering in the Nigeria University that it doesn’t worth it and it’s a waste of time and students are been denied practicals which is not supposed to be so (based on its technicality).
So please our graduates in the house esp those who studied the above mentioned courses or similar stuffs should please assist a young fellow.
Please Moderator forward this to FP as it might as well help those of same or similar problem.

(Intend applying unizik as a first choice)

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 03, 2017
poindexter229:
HelooNlanders. I’ve been a member of this forum for quite some time now and I must confess its been really informative and entertaining.
I’m having a bit of problem choosing my career prospect and would really love the experienced ones & graduates to help a brother on the matter.

I’m literally a Jambite who wants to study Computer Engineering in the university because someone ones told me that computer engineering course covers both the technical and software aspect of a computer whilst Computer Science deals on only the software part of a computer. I chose engineering because I wanted to use my full potentials and to cover more in the era of technology (I’m pretty good at maths).

But currently I’m hearing different stories bout computer engineering in the Nigeria University that it doesn’t worth it and it’s a waste of time and students are been denied practicals which is not supposed to be so (based on its technicality).
So please our graduates in the house esp those who studied the above mentioned courses or similar stuffs should please assist a young fellow.
Please Moderator forward this to FP as it might as well help those of same or similar problem.

i studied computer science and in my 300 and 400level I did Computer Repair(Computer Engr) and it has given me an edge in my organisation because I do the programming,web management and repairing of the office computer so am an IT professional more money,my advice to you is pick computer Science and you can learn Computer Repair somewhere else and you have killed two birds.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by seunlayi(m): 4:39pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chukwuka16:
Very good question @OP. However, you have to do your home work thoroughly. Considering the fact that you want to study in Nigeria, the Engineering option is preferred for the obvious reason that it is a professional course and allows you to become a registered engineer which might be useful in the future. Aside that it offers no further significant benefit. For Computer Science however, it is the 'in thing' now. I have an engineering background for my first two degrees but I'm currently doing a doctorate in CS and I can tell you the opportunities are immense. This is due to the increasingly role of big data and machine intelligence/artificial intelligence/data mining etc. in our decision making process. These research areas are offering a very promising future and Nigeria is really a fertile ground for such disciplines. You may thus consider an engineering option but with dedicated and disciplined focus on learning some programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, C/C++ etc. and further building immense capacity in mathematics/statistics especially problem formulation/modelling and toy with some basic AI program and apply them in basic optimisation problems. What I have been saying is this - do well to graduate with good grades in Comp. Engr but build immense capacity in your programming skills but with practical application to everyday issues. Do not forget to update yourself with the trends in CS (data management and AI) by being a registered student member of IEEE to have access to some open access journals. Also trail papers for free from academia.edu to researchgate on AI/machine learning. You need to do a serious research on what you want and make up your mind. Ultimately, never forget to always consult your creator - God to ask for direction. He made you and thus knows what's best for you. You can never be wrong taking His advice. All the best!

noted, thanks

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 03, 2017
GreenMavro:
cheesy

Computer Engineers are involved with mainly the hardware part of computers

Computer Science is software grin grin

Seun now na Computer Engineer e b, dats y he always dy watch nairaland server room every day like may gauard

lalastica na computer scientist e dy always move trends to front page grin grin

Thanks man
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 03, 2017
peterswagg:
Well poster.... I think it depends on the school you are going to, however I will advise you to choose computer science because at least you can be able to learn the software aspect online without the help of any lecturer. The truth is in a typical Nigeria federal or state university you hardly see any lecturer that is good in a programming language talk less of teaching it.
Thanks bro
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chukwuka16:
Very good question @OP. However, you have to do your home work thoroughly. Considering the fact that you want to study in Nigeria, the Engineering option is preferred for the obvious reason that it is a professional course and allows you to become a registered engineer which might be useful in the future. Aside that it offers no further significant benefit. For Computer Science however, it is the 'in thing' now. I have an engineering background for my first two degrees but I'm currently doing a doctorate in CS and I can tell you the opportunities are immense. This is due to the increasingly role of big data and machine intelligence/artificial intelligence/data mining etc. in our decision making process. These research areas are offering a very promising future and Nigeria is really a fertile ground for such disciplines. You may thus consider an engineering option but with dedicated and disciplined focus on learning some programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, C/C++ etc. and further building immense capacity in mathematics/statistics especially problem formulation/modelling and toy with some basic AI program and apply them in basic optimisation problems. What I have been saying is this - do well to graduate with good grades in Comp. Engr but build immense capacity in your programming skills but with practical application to everyday issues. Do not forget to update yourself with the trends in CS (data management and AI) by being a registered student member of IEEE to have access to some open access journals. Also trail papers for free from academia.edu to researchgate on AI/machine learning. You need to do a serious research on what you want and make up your mind. Ultimately, never forget to always consult your creator - God to ask for direction. He made you and thus knows what's best for you. You can never be wrong taking His advice. All the best!

Thanks abunch
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by miketayo(m): 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2017
bukiboy:

I disagree with you sir

which part?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
darkhorizon:
OP since you are going for a first degree(Bsc) i will advice you apply for a field which is broad.
I will recommend Electrical Engineering or Physics,since i can sense that your choice for CE and CS is actually from a love for Electronics.

You can learn programming as a hobby. Moreover,programming these days is not restricted to any particular field.

Also,don't be surprised that at the end of studying these courses( EE or Physics) ,your interest might shift from Electronics and it's derivatives to Energy , Photonics, Telecommunication etc... or might still stay with Electronics,who knows?

And EE or Physics actually prepares you for these various fields which you can later go into during your PG.
Good Luck. Cheers.

Thanks man
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by miketayo(m): 4:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
jaybee3:

Been a while bro..I don forget.. finished the first degree in '03

Coincidentally, my MSc in Information Engineering (EE) had more computer science modules

I did all these in my BSc
although u must have gone deeper doing all those mnemonics assembly language, but if u studied in Nigeria, i can bet u didn't do intense practical on it
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chukwuka16:
It might be instructive to point out that the traditional definition of courses might no longer hold. As has been rightly argued, the ability to transfer skills across various jobs is what's critical. How else do you explain psychologists now leading research on energy demand studies and supervising research students (MS and PhD) in engineering domiciled disciplines? Simple, research is now multi-disciplinary and so the fine line distinguishing most disciplines has been eroded. I do not think it would be helpful arguing over the superiority of CS or Comp Engr over themselves. No one really cares again. Can you transfer your CS knowledge and solve engineering problems? How flexible are you in transferring your skills across professions - that's the key. I'm currently working with a social scientist at KCL who is using data and other emerging trends (sentiment analysis and social behaviour modelling) in modelling situational decisions taken during wars/conflicts. That doesn't even cut the absurdity of other multidisciplinary collaborations!
thanks
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 4:57pm On Apr 03, 2017
miketayo:

I did all these in my BSc
although u must have gone deeper doing all those mnemonics assembly language, but if u studied in Nigeria, i can bet u didn't do intense practical on it

I didn't study in Naij
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by miketayo(m): 4:58pm On Apr 03, 2017
jaybee3:

I didn't study in Naij

so how far did u go?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by oyejideogunjumo: 4:59pm On Apr 03, 2017
poindexter229:

Computer science deals with software application.How to operate,type and do works on computer including programming etcs.
Computer engineering deals withs hard ware how to repair computer,how to do networking components replacements etc bt of necessity he must be able to test what he does so he can also operate it.
it is just like a driver and a car mechanic.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 5:11pm On Apr 03, 2017
miketayo:

so how far did u go?

Secondary School
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by miketayo(m): 5:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
jaybee3:

Secondary School

lol i meant with mnemonics and where did u study
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by jaybee3(m): 5:37pm On Apr 03, 2017
miketayo:

lol i meant with mnemonics and where did u study

Don tey wey i been graduate mehn
Can't remember but I actually used mnemonics couple of years as a solution to untangling a complex data structure
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by babalonimi: 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2017
Acetyl:
It depends on the school you choosing. The school graduated from offers it as Computer science and Engineering (CSE) department. It's when you get to 300level that you have to choose your option... Good luck.
Lautech
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Acetyl(m): 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2017
babalonimi:
Lautech
Yeah ...
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by gidjah(m): 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2017
peterswagg:
Well poster.... I think it depends on the school you are going to, however I will advise you to choose computer science because at least you can be able to learn the software aspect online without the help of any lecturer. The truth is in a typical Nigeria federal or state university you hardly see any lecturer that is good in a programming language talk less of teaching it.
you are pretty correct bro, I did maths computer, you will be surprised that the lecturers themselves can't even write and run a programme successfully , na so so theory we do till we almost ran mad in dat dept. then, there wasn't internet around sef, no be like this generation wey things have gotten better . you can do any of d course and go to the road side to finish ur matter or start with road side and then go to the school, you will surely do great at that school .
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by steve6: 7:04pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chukwuka16:

I appreciate the knowledge shared !
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Ustec: 8:54pm On Apr 03, 2017
Akiliogidi:

I graduated from same department & same school...Both are nice course, but I prefer computer science not because that's what I studied(only liked d course during my IT & I never regretted...only regret is graduating with 2:2, but making up & improving myself by learning different programming language...wanted to study something else)...Back then in my hostel computer engineering students use to admire us...whenever my coursemate come around & we are coding, that's when u will see the engine boys begging us to teach them that they are just studying c.engineering for mouth..This is incredible but it is d gospel truth..in my hostel then, I was known as d programmer
what subject nd topics will you advice a fresher to be good at inorder to have a better understanding and perform well in computer science?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Housing(m): 12:13am On Apr 04, 2017
Computer Science to me is preferable, you will be exposed to both the hardware, software, computer architecture, project management and a whole lot of things. Your are interest through certifications will later define you as software major or hardware major. To be candid all good computer science students are computer engineers as far as First Degree is concern (in regards to the Nigeria University Curriculum). That is why you see most foremost Federal University having mostly Computer Science Department except for few.

Most Electrical/Electronics graduate today dabbles and fit in easily as Computer Engineers.

I did computer science from University of Lagos. Computer Science gives you a wide area of specialisation.

It is just like studying general law, you still major in any laws based on your area of concentration.

May GOD guide you right.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by saladel(m): 12:50am On Apr 04, 2017
jaybee3:

What's your level of education?

Your answer will determine how i respond to your quoted post

200 level, telecommunication engineering

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn / How I Got Belittled By My Boss... / N850k Job & A Boss That Insults: Funny Replies To An Employment Question...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.