Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,310 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? (31556 Views)

Difference Between Busy And Productive / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Institute Of Drilling And Petroleum Engineering Course Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Ustec: 9:49am On Apr 04, 2017
Chukwuka16:
Very good question @OP. However, you have to do your home work thoroughly. Considering the fact that you want to study in Nigeria, the Engineering option is preferred for the obvious reason that it is a professional course and allows you to become a registered engineer which might be useful in the future. Aside that it offers no further significant benefit. For Computer Science however, it is the 'in thing' now. I have an engineering background for my first two degrees but I'm currently doing a doctorate in CS and I can tell you the opportunities are immense. This is due to the increasingly role of big data and machine intelligence/artificial intelligence/data mining etc. in our decision making process. These research areas are offering a very promising future and Nigeria is really a fertile ground for such disciplines. You may thus consider an engineering option but with dedicated and disciplined focus on learning some programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, C/C++ etc. and further building immense capacity in mathematics/statistics especially problem formulation/modelling and toy with some basic AI program and apply them in basic optimisation problems. What I have been saying is this - do well to graduate with good grades in Comp. Engr but build immense capacity in your programming skills but with practical application to everyday issues. Do not forget to update yourself with the trends in CS (data management and AI) by being a registered student member of IEEE to have access to some open access journals. Also trail papers for free from academia.edu to researchgate on AI/machine learning. You need to do a serious research on what you want and make up your mind. Ultimately, never forget to always consult your creator - God to ask for direction. He made you and thus knows what's best for you. You can never be wrong taking His advice. All the best!
sir
is it possible to apply for direct entry to study comp sci. With OND mech engr. result?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Chukwuka16: 10:25am On Apr 04, 2017
Well I can't really answer this question. My suggestion would be to visit the Comp Sci dept of the school intended and speak with the admissions officer there. Go with your results too. They would be in the best place to advice on this. All the best bro!
Ustec:

sir
is it possible to apply for direct entry to study comp sci. With OND mech engr. result?
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Juniorbuba(m): 11:57pm On Apr 04, 2017
studying the engineering aspect of computers in Nigeria is more or less a waste of time,u go just do chemistry and physics practicals tire,but i'll advise you to so a little more research on google and settle for the one you prefer. computer science deals mainly with software(operating systems,compiler comstruction e.t.c),algorithms,programming(u can write ur own game wink),data mining,artificial intelligence and a whole lot more while computer engineering integrates electrical engineering with the knowledge of computers,including digital logic design,circuit design,and the likes. Am a computer science student of Ahmadu Bello university,zaria by the way

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Calebjonathan(m): 7:19am On Apr 05, 2017
Recruimentment in offshore work. 2wks work. Weac or Ond. 08148180963
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by bukiboy(m): 12:24pm On Apr 05, 2017
miketayo:

which part?

miketayo:

Engr is a good course, its just useless in this part of the world
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Redfox(m): 12:51pm On Apr 05, 2017
Statistical and Analytical Research Associates

Also Join us this week Friday to Sunday for an extensive training session.

https://blog.linkedin.com/2016/10/20/top-skills-2016-week-of-learning-linkedin
http://www.businessinsider.com/skills-that-can-get-you-hired-2016-10
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/20/the-top-10-skills-that-will-get-you-hired.htmlIncrease your industry value potential vide
Statistical Analysis and Data Mining,
Qualitative & Quantitative Research
Training & Research Advisory (Thesis Structure, Dissertation and Research Publication)

Dear Earthlings,

Take a closer if this is right for you.
Redfox Analytics-- redefining & standardizing the world of modeling, analytics and research with the use of solution
engines: SAS, SPSS, Eviews, STATA, Python, R, XLSTAT, Epi-Info, MicroFit and Microsoft Excel forecasting with extensive applications in many areas of research and analytics

Statistical and Survey Analysis
Financial Markets*
Applied Econometrics
Medical Statistics
Forecasting & Quantitative Risk*
Commodities Trading & Modeling*
MBA Research guide*
Business Analysis & Industry Trends

Venue: Lekki-Ajah & Terra Kulture, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Session duration: 2-day intensive (9hrs)
(SPSS, Tableau, Modeling Eviews, XLSTAT, Excel)
Stata and SAS: with consulting connect access
QDA Miner Lite, CAQDAS, NVivo & Coding Analysis Toolkit (CAS) for Qualitative Research (supported by HTML,CSV, RTF)
R and R studio: with developer tools and consulting connect access
Python: with developer tools and consulting connect access
Add-ons: software installation/set up, plus video tutorials and dummies.

Kingsley Redfox
redfoxanalytics@yahoo.com
https://redfox3891./
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 08, 2017
Ustec:

what subject nd topics will you advice a fresher to be good at inorder to have a better understanding and perform well in computer science?

Every subject & topic is important...when u gain admission, make friends with those in yr2, collect their yr1 material(handout & past questions), ask them which lecturer took which course...go to the departmental office, check for course allocation compare it with ur present level...if tthesame lecturer is still handling the courses, read ur uroks well, read the past questions & master the way each lecturer sets his/her question , have your summary note n u are good to go

Don't shy away from mathematics, u will do it till ur 3rd b4 going for IT

I will advice u to mk friends wlso with those who gained admission through PRE-SCIENCE

Goodluck dude
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Ustec: 5:30pm On Apr 08, 2017
Akiliogidi:

Every subject & topic is important...when u gain admission, make friends with those in yr2, collect their yr1 material(handout & past questions), ask them which lecturer took which course...go to the departmental office, check for course allocation compare it with ur present level...if tthesame lecturer is still handling the courses, read ur uroks well, read the past questions & master the way each lecturer sets his/her question , have your summary note n u are good to go

Don't shy away from mathematics, u will do it till ur 3rd b4 going for IT

I will advice u to mk friends wlso with those who gained admission through PRE-SCIENCE

Goodluck dude

Ok bros
thanks
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by mrikenna002: 11:11am On Apr 15, 2017
the best way to solve your financial problem, see details below

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by abdoul012: 4:51pm On Feb 08, 2019
you people are jst arguing over one thing or the other , assuming they all have equal opportunities what are your caliber, if you studied computer science do you acquire the knowledge it takes , if you had studied computer engineering have you acquired the extensive knowledge of a computer engineer. the certificate been given is a proof that you have acquire a formal knowledge, your capabilities determines
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Jecen(m): 8:50am On Jan 10, 2020
for me I'd go for computer engineering coz it enables u to knw both the software engineering and hardware engineering..
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Kennyking1234: 1:57am On Aug 21, 2021
please boss can you explain better why you said unizik admission is quite "tacky"
Mikkystorm:
Lol, unizik? Pfft.
Anyways, there's some sense in what your friend said though. I am a student of the first ever digital institution in the east, Federal Polytechnic Oko, studying computer engineering. And I can assure you, we do more of practical than theories. The universities do otherwise. Go for computer science brother, as far as unizik is concerned. Another factor to consider while choosing unizik is their admission scheme, it's too tacky. Just follow your heart BRO.
Computer engineering deals with both the hardware and software in a computer. Computer science bases itself on the latter, not that it's isolated from the hardware area.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn / How I Got Belittled By My Boss... / N850k Job & A Boss That Insults: Funny Replies To An Employment Question...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.