Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,098 members, 7,825,465 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber (6519 Views)

Photo : Was This A Warning From God To Nigerians? / Pictures Of Buhari Receiving Congratulatory Call From Jonathan / Warning From Dora Akuyile Before She Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by bilymuse: 11:34am On Dec 27, 2009
[size=20pt]Father alerted US about Nigerian plane bomb suspect [/size]

The father of a Nigerian man charged with trying to blow up a transatlantic jet on Christmas Day had voiced concerns to US officials about his son.
The father, a top Nigerian banker, warned US authorities last month about 23-year-old Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's extreme views, say officials.

US sources confirm a file was opened, but say the information did not warrant placing the accused on a "no-fly" list.

His father, Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, is a prominent banker well-connected in Nigeria's political world, the BBC's Caroline Duffield reports from Lagos. In recent months Mr Mutallab is said to have become alarmed about the political views of his son, who is a former engineering student at University College London. He approached the US embassy in Abuja in November to voice concerns about his son, according to American officials.

How the accused, who had a valid US travel visa, boarded a flight in Lagos to Amsterdam, despite being on a database listing individuals of concern to the authorities, is a key question, our correspondent says.

Anti-terrorist measures in Nigeria's airports are haphazard and corruption among police, customs and security officials is endemic, she adds.

Officials in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity, told news agencies that Mr Abdulmutallab's name had been added to a security watch-list of more than half a million individuals, known as Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment (Tide). But there was apparently not enough information to include his name on the smaller Terrorist Screening Data Base, which includes a no-fly list.

It is understood that members of Mr Abdulmutallab's family are travelling to the Nigerian capital Abuja on Sunday to meet police and government officials.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8431470.stm
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by bilymuse: 11:36am On Dec 27, 2009
what else can the father do, US authority must take responsibility for the event.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by iriskit: 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2009
What are they stocking in his head in London? Who are his friend? The young man must have been brain wash. Thank God the father was smart. Kudos to the father, he would have succeeded unnoticed.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by otawa: 2:56pm On Dec 27, 2009
US sources confirm a file was opened, but say the information did not warrant placing the accused on a "no-fly" list.

What is this use of the file they opened?

They did not checked if the said boy had US visa?

They did not cancel his visa even if they did not put him on 'no fly' list?

They can tell their cock + bull stories to the marines!

US is not being honest to the world!
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by deor03(m): 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2009
I wonder the kind of security the US has.

A cheap intels was passed on to the US authorities and NOTHING came out of it. Yet that waste money wire tapping and flying satellites around the world.

Just some weeks ago, a state dinner organised for Obama was gate crashed. I bet it that Oshodi bouncers would have done better

The American security system has to be overhauled, otherwise ,of what use is the intelligence they gather?
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Parohfrey(f): 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2009
This is why I know that Americans will continue to remain as fools.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2009
Them Americans goofed.
Lwkmd
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by SapeleGuy: 3:57pm On Dec 27, 2009
This father should be arrested as an accessory. He is looking for cheap sympathy and credibility - why did he not report to the Nigeria Police Force? Onovo should pick him up.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by vigasimple(m): 4:16pm On Dec 27, 2009
If we have a goverment and our CIC YAR A'CLUELESS is not AWOL, this is the good opportunity to use this information that the Father of the alledge bomber has informed the US authorities and that the guy behaviour is not representative of anything Nigeria or Nigerians, even boko Harm is only local.

Unfortunately, we do not have a government or a President. He has not even made a comment since this incident involving the citizen of his country and the image of the entire 150million people.

YAR A'DO NOTHING is not available anymore, they are just waiting for the right time to tell us their cock and bull story.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by blackmann(m): 4:45pm On Dec 27, 2009
SapeleGuy:

This father should be arrested as an accessory. He is looking for cheap sympathy and credibility - why did he not report to the Nigeria Police Force? Onovo should pick him up.

i'm rather surprised u asked that question. Nigerian police?
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Dec 27, 2009
bilymuse:

what else can the father do, US authority must take responsibility for the event.

Consider these . . . . .

a) This is not the ONLY father, disgruntled loved one, etc who has warned the US of a potential terrorist

b) The man has not been to the US before this time

c) The man went through Nigerian and Amsterdam's security before boarding the plane

d) Could the US really have barred a Nigerian, who has NEVER been to America prior and has no solid record of being linked to Al-Qaida on file, from entering the US, without these same people here CRYING foul or racism?

e) The boy had YET to actually pass through American Security Check Point before this incident.  When he got his visa, there was no way to “pad” him down, at that point, to ensure he would not travel with explosives

f) Potential terrorists are not automatically put on NO FLY LIST, and this is not just in America. We might as well bar them from showing up at crowded malls while we are at it. Ask all the many terror suspects in the UK, France etc. who still fly to their terror training grounds with no problem
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by wirinet(m): 5:47pm On Dec 27, 2009
I believed the father is a culpable as the son for many reasons;

1. The father must take responsibility for the up bringing of his son and he must have been brought up with radical Muslim indoctrination.

2. The father is responsible for the boy's extravagant life style, since we are not told the boy is gainfully employed, where is he getting the funding to be traveling everywhere. For him to be able to obtain a US multiple visa, his father must have provide some sort of backing for him.

3. Why did the father not warn the US embassy on the exact nature of the threat, in order words, why did he not provide actionable intelligence instead of the nebulous warning of a threat. Can you truly say that the son had confided in the father the exact nature of those threats.
You cannot blame the US for not taking the threat serious enough.

4. Why did he not report the threat to the Nigerian authorities, preferably the SSS. They would have been a greater security checks on him while he was in Nigeria, especially when he is traveling in and out of Nigeria. The SSS are a quite efficient in monitoring the movements of people (especially enemies of government) in and out of our airports.

The father has some questions to answer.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by otawa: 5:54pm On Dec 27, 2009

US is clearly to BLAME!!!

d) Could the US really have barred a Nigerian, who has NEVER been to America prior and has no solid record of being linked to Al-Qaida on file, from entering the US, without these same people here CRYING foul or racism?

Yes. It was the father of 23yrd old boy that reported and not some stranger to the boy.

The least they could have done is cancel the VISA issue to such boy more so that the father informed them!

The father should actually take American Government to court for negligence
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by coolier(f): 5:59pm On Dec 27, 2009
wirinet:

I believed the father is a culpable as the son for many reasons;

1. The father must take responsibility for the up bringing of his son and he must have been brought up with radical Muslim indoctrination.

2. The father is responsible for the boy's extravagant life style, since we are not told the boy is gainfully employed, where is he getting the funding to be traveling everywhere. For him to be able to obtain a US multiple visa, his father must have provide some sort of backing for him.

3. Why did the father not warn the US embassy on the exact nature of the threat, in order words, why did he not provide actionable intelligence instead of the nebulous warning of a threat. Can you truly say that the son had confided in the father the exact nature of those threats.

4. Why did he not report the threat to the Nigerian authorities, preferably the SSS. They would have been a greater security checks on him while he was in Nigeria, especially when he is traveling in and out of Nigeria. The SSS are a quite efficient in monitoring the movements of people (especially enemies of government) in and out of our airports.

The father has some questions to answer.

The father has done right, and he has no case to answer. It was gathered that he had been worried about Umar’s Islamic extremism and this forced him to report him to United States' Embassy in Abuja and other Nigerian security agencies six whole months ago. They chose to ignore his warnings. 'Am sure no Nigerian father would have done what he did knowing fully well the implications.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by wirinet(m): 6:13pm On Dec 27, 2009
That is tragedy facing our society today. Nigerian parents abdicating their responsibility for the upbringing of their children, They just throw money at them, feeling money equals parental love.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by texazzpete(m): 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2009
Sending a warning of that nature is still no grounds to cancel the visa. The best the US officials could do was to put his name on a 'suspicious' list. That lost is circulated around and should have then meant a tougher screening process for him at the airport. All those saying the US should have canceled his visa are being extremely naive.

I do not think his father can absolve himself of any blame. Afterall, it obviously wasn't the son that rented that multimillion pound apartment in London.

@kobojunkie
I've seen report that he's Been to the us in 2008 for bout 11 days.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by SapeleGuy: 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2009
Some of us are being unnecessarily sentimental. These are the people funding terrorism in this country and they should be dealt with squarely.

Mike Okiro warned about this in may 2008 and was forced to retract a few days later after coming under immense pressure.

"Not long ago, Mike Mbama Okiro, Nigeria’s inspector general of police, raised an alarm over threats by al-Qaeda to launch an attack using time-bombs on Nigerian soil. Okiro’s warning generated much attention in local and international media. Islamic groups in Nigeria, including the Supreme Council for Sharia in Nigeria (SCSN), held several press conferences debunking such claims, and labeled Okiro a “liar.” The police chief did not give more details about his allegation, but said his warning was based on intelligence reports. An SCSN spokesman said: “The police know where the terrorists are and Muslims should not be referred to as terrorists. The militants are terrorists for kidnapping and killing people and the police should go there and stop tagging Muslims as terrorists” (Nigerian Tribune, May 21)."

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080510233856
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by texazzpete(m): 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2009
Sending a warning of that nature is still no grounds to cancel the visa. The best the US officials could do was to put his name on a 'suspicious' list. That lost is circulated around and should have then meant a tougher screening process for him at the airport. All those saying the US should have canceled his visa are being extremely naive.

I do not think his father can absolve himself of any blame. Afterall, it obviously wasn't the son that rented that multimillion pound apartment in London.

@kobojunkie
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by proudly9ja(m): 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2009
If the US govt barred everyone they got a complaint about, I am not sure half of the people in the US will be there now. Can't I just send an official letter to the US embassy and report a brother of mine I have grudges with? What would they rely on to bar the guy from entering into the US?

I am not trying to defend the US govt but the fact is that there are procedures in these things and as far as could be done, the only thing they could do based on the father's report is to place him on the list.

Again we might then say that he should have been monitored immediately he left Nigeria for the US but then again, it boils down to money. To monitor every potential terrorist that boards a plane to the US is to monitor about 100 people everyday. We must also understand that these guys leave from different countries, the only thing the US govt can do is to make sure that countries that have flights terminating in the US are well equipped to check these guys from source. I learnt that the US govt donated security stuff to the Nigerian Airport Authorities and I also learnt that the MM International airport passed a quality control check some months back.

So for me, all that needed to be done was done. The only hitch was the security check at Schipol. How did he pass throu security without them detecting the stuff used? Again from what I know it is almost impossible to detect every potential threat. The security guys are trained to detect the very common things. Remember they use x-ray machines. It is still very dependent on the staffer to see the threat on the screen. Most times, the staff only look for what there eyes are used to seeing. Its the way the human brain works. So it makes sense that the syringe used (which was sown to his inner shorts by the way) passed through security undetected.

As for the father, he did what he could do. Some dads won't even report. I feel for the family.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by otawa: 7:26pm On Dec 27, 2009
If the US govt barred everyone they got a complaint about, I am not sure half of the people in the US will be there now

You missed the point!

If your direct relative: mother, father, wife, husband called the US embassy and warm them about you.

I expect them to check their system, cancel any VISA you may have.

The onus would then be for you to show US that your 'direct relative' were wrong with hard evidence.

Obama also acknowledged their system is crappy:

US President Barack Obama has ordered a review of air security measures after a Nigerian man allegedly tried to blow up a trans-Atlantic jet on Christmas Day.

Spokesman Robert Gibbs said the president wanted to know how a man carrying dangerous substance PETN had managed to board a flight in Amsterdam.

He said the system of watch-lists would also be examined after it emerged the man was listed and known to officials.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by toshmann(m): 7:30pm On Dec 27, 2009
everyone talks about US security bla bla bla, what about amsterdam airport security?how did he get thru the airport with those stuff. (forget lagos) . . .

as per the visa, america will find it hard to deny overtly rich people visa grin . . . unless for some very obvious security threat.

as per the fool, . . the best thing for him is that he is brought back to nigeria and let every angry young nigerian give him a slap grin grin then he can be taken to gitmo cool
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by proudly9ja(m): 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2009
otawa:

You missed the point!

If your direct relative: mother, father, wife, husband called the US embassy and warm them about you.

I expect them to check their system, cancel any VISA you may have.

The onus would then be for you to show US that your 'direct relative' were wrong with hard evidence.

Obama also acknowledged their system is crappy:

I understand your point but you see, you cannot legally cancel anybody's visa simply becuse a direct relative made a complaint. You forget that the said guy is 23. The guy is a man not underaged. If they cancel his visa, he can sue them. Moreover, what did his father base the complaint on? a text message? The onus is not on you to prove anything against a mere allegation.

Like someone said, the error should be traced back to the guys at Amsterdam. Thats where the breach happened.

There is no total solution to this. Terrorists are always one step ahead of government. Reports have it that the chemicals/methods used are kind of new to anti-terrorist agents.

The best they could have done was what they did i.e. keep him on a watch list. Now what they do with that watch list is another area they need to work on.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by HIO4: 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2009
Someone dropped the soap and this knucklehead was able to slip through the cracks. Instead of emphasizing this mistake on the part of the United States, they are busy furthering stereotypes and profiling Nigerians.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by otawa: 8:43pm On Dec 27, 2009
I understand your point but you see, you cannot legally cancel anybody's visa simply becuse a direct relative made a complaint. You forget that the said guy is 23. The guy is a man not underaged. If they cancel his visa, he can sue them.

There is Homeland Security Act. US does not need any law to cancel your visa. It does not belong to you but US Government. US is just crappy or they are not telling us all the truth.

Mr. Abdulmutallab initially traveled to the U.S. shortly after receiving his 2008 visa, apparently without incident. U.S. officials said they were now looking into his travel itinerary from his initial trip for any information that might inform on his later actions. Mr. Abdulmutallab apparently visited Houston, Texas, said the official

HIO4:

Someone dropped the soap and this knucklehead was able to slip through the cracks. Instead of emphasizing this mistake on the part of the United States, they are busy furthering stereotypes and profiling Nigerians.

That is it! US is 90% to blame for this.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Kobojunkie: 5:16am On Dec 28, 2009
otawa:

Yes. It was the father of 23yrd old boy that reported and not some stranger to the boy.

The least they could have done is cancel the VISA issue to such boy more so that the father informed them!

I disagree!!! The US, as a result of the warning put him on a watch list but NOT on a NO FLY list. Even a wife could WARN the US of her husband or ex to be. That does not make it a solid. Any idea if the father followed it up with solid evidence that he would, two years down the line, try to blow up an american plane, or any plane at all?

texazzpete:

@kobojunkie

I have heard no such report myself. My assumption is this man spent extensive periods in UK, and this was probably his first to US.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Kobojunkie: 5:18am On Dec 28, 2009
Father of Detroit would-be bomber warned US

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=11733079

By MATTHEW LEE and PAMELA HESS
Associated Press Writers
WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. government officials tell The Associated Press that the Nigerian man charged with trying to destroy a jetliner came to the attention of U.S. intelligence in November when his father went to the U.S. embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, to express his concerns about his son.

A congressional official said Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a 23-year-old Nigerian, popped up in U.S. intelligence reports about four weeks ago as having a connection to both al-Qaida and Yemen.

Another government official said Abdulmutallab's father went to the embassy in Abuja with his concerns, but did not have any specific information that would put him on the "no-fly list" or on the list for additional security checks at the airport.

Neither was the information sufficient to revoke his visa to visit the United States. His visa had been granted June 2008 and was valid through June 2010. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because neither was authorized to speak to the media.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by spikedcylinder: 5:40am On Dec 28, 2009
otawa:

I disagree.
If the system worked that way, no one will be on the 'fly' list. I mean, if everyone's visa got cancelled on the basis of a mere warning from a probably disgruntled (not saying the father was disgruntled in this case) family member and without solid evidence to back up the fact that Farouk is a terrorist then we might as well. Up until the attempted suicide bombing, he had no SOLID evidence to make anyone suspect he was going to be allahu akbaring on a darn plane. If things worked like that, even TheSeeker would be on a no fly list.

I commend his father though, other parents will turn a blind eye.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Skidoc(m): 6:01am On Dec 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Father of Detroit would-be bomber warned US

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=11733079

By MATTHEW LEE and PAMELA HESS
Associated Press Writers
WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. government officials tell The Associated Press that the Nigerian man charged with trying to destroy a jetliner came to the attention of U.S. intelligence in November when his father went to the U.S. embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, to express his concerns about his son.

A congressional official said Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a 23-year-old Nigerian, popped up in U.S. intelligence reports about four weeks ago as having a connection to both al-Qaida and Yemen.

Another government official said Abdulmutallab's father went to the embassy in Abuja with his concerns, but did not have any specific information that would put him on the "no-fly list" or on the list for additional security checks at the airport.

Neither was the information sufficient to revoke his visa to visit the United States. His visa had been granted June 2008 and was valid through June 2010. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because neither was authorized to speak to the media.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

I don't see how the bolded bit suggests that he's NEVER been to the US. I find it hard to believe that such a stupendously rich kid has never been to US on holiday or something. It's possible though. Maybe he hates the Americans so much heh.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Kobojunkie: 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2009
Skidoc:

I don't see how the bolded bit suggests that he's NEVER been to the US. I find it hard to believe that such a stupendously rich kid has never been to US on holiday or something. It's possible though. Maybe he hates the Americans so much heh.

Like I said, I am operating under the assumption that he has never been to the US. The report does not mention a prior visit but only states that he was granted a visa back last year and there was not enough evidence to revoke that.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Sauron1: 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2009
bilymuse:

You must be very intelligent.
America have to take responsibility for what happened. . . . .Buncha fools!!!
The father did what any good father coulda done. . . . .He reported his son's activities to them and they still let him fly.
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by otawa: 12:21pm On Dec 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Like I said, I am operating under the assumption that he has never been to the US. The report does not mention a prior visit but only states that he was granted a visa back last year and there was not enough evidence to revoke that.

atleast you could have google:

About the time he graduated, Mr. Abdulmutallab was issued a multiyear visa allowing him to travel to the U.S. A senior U.S. official said there was no "derogatory information" to deny him the visa, nor "any information suggesting his radicalization." He apparently traveled to Houston shortly after receiving the visa, officials say.

~Sauron~:

You must be very intelligent.
America have to take responsibility for what happened. . . . .Buncha fools!!!
The father did what any good father coulda done. . . . .He reported his son's activities to them and they still let him fly.

After all the measures of 911 and with father's WARNING:

This boy must have been a genius.

The string of cases highlights the difficulty, more than five years after the 9/11 Commission called for better communication between intelligence, law-enforcement and security agencies, of identifying relevant information that could stop a terrorist attack.

The Americans screwed-up big time!!!
Re: US Confirmed Receiving Warning From Father - Nigerian Bomber by Kobojunkie: 12:26pm On Dec 28, 2009
otawa:

atleast you could have google:

About the time he graduated, Mr. Abdulmutallab was issued a multiyear visa allowing him to travel to the U.S. A senior U.S. official said there was no "derogatory information" to deny him the visa, nor "any information suggesting his radicalization." He apparently traveled to Houston shortly after receiving the visa, officials say.

I did and did not find that one. Good to know! The father's warning apparently only came in 2 months ago, and it was more out of concern that his son had dropped under the rather. I am still searching to find details on if he actually reported that his son was likely an extremist. So, he was not on the watchlist when he took his first trip back in 2008. He was only barred from going back into the UK in may, and he supposedly boarded a plan ILLEGALLY in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I’m Ready To Die For Nigeria –obasanjo / Plateau Assembly Threatens To Impeach Jang / Ribadu Denies Withdrawing From Adamawa Governorship Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.