Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,318 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral (394 Views)

Senator Bima Enagi Introduces Bill To Ban Generators; 10-year Jail For Seller / Fake News On The Exportation Of Yams To Europe & USA / Umahi Set For Solid Mineral Exploration In Ebonyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral by googlenaija1(m): 10:03pm On Apr 04, 2017
The Federal Government says it has taken measures to end the exportation of raw solid mineral by miners.

Dr. Kayode Fayemi, Minister of Solid Mineral Development, who disclosed this on Tuesday in Lafia, during a courtesy visit to Gov. Tanko Al-Makura, declared that the era of mining and exporting unprocessed solid minerals “will soon be over”.

Kayode Fayemi

Fayemi, who began a two- day assessment tour of mining sites and mining activities in the state, said that miners ready to invest in the sector must be willing to set up processing plants in host communities, so as to create jobs for people.

He explained that the enforcement of the ban would not be done arbitrarily as investors would be given time to establish their processing plants. The minister expressed readiness to partner with the state government towards developing the mining sector in the country.

“Although mining is in the exclusive legislative list of the country’s constitution, there is no law precluding states with enormous resources from setting up mining companies,” he said. Fayemi said that such states could approach the ministry for licenses to explore and exploit the resources. According to him, states can do it solely or in partnership with private investors, depending on the technical capacity. The minister said that state governments would play key roles in the issuance of mining license to minimise the frictions usually common between investors and the host communities.

Fayemi assured the governor that the ministry would enforce the provisions of the mining and mineral act in favour of the host communities. “This is because they (host communities) have been at the receiving end; they hardly reap the necessary benefits from their natural endowment,” he said.
Responding, Gov. Umaru Al-Makura thanked the minister for the visit, saying that it had given the state the impetus to contribute more to the current economic diversification drive. Al-Makura appealed to the federal government to pay special attention to the protection of major mining companies in view of incessant attacks.

He also stressed the need for the federal government to pursue joint ventures with multinational mining companies similar to what was done in the oil sector, in order to bring sophistication into the industry and boost revenue. Al-Makura suggested the need to showcase Nigeria’s mineral resources at the country’s foreign missions with a view to linking investors directly to states where each item was found.

What do you have to say?
Re: FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral by Radiohead6(f): 10:33pm On Apr 04, 2017
.It would be honestly the best thing we've ever done since winning the Olympics.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
Useless unserious minister . almost two years on the job and still only talking of plans to ban. Why not ban it on your first day on the job?

This guy is not patriotic he is one of the imperialist stooges more loyal to imperialists and World Bank than he is to welfare of Nigeria.
Re: FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral by Blue3k(m): 11:09pm On Apr 04, 2017
I don't think it neccarry to require mining companies to set up processing plants in host communities. If it makes business sense to do so they won't need a law. This requirement sounds political.

On the topic of export ban I don't mind it. It could work and Nigeria needs to learn to step climb up value chain. It would be beneficial in long term. I would use US oil export ban til the became self sufficient due to technology advances.

Fayemi, who began a two- day assessment tour of mining sites and mining activities in the state, said that miners ready to invest in the sector must be willing to set up processing plants in host communities, so as to create jobs for people.

He explained that the enforcement of the ban would not be done arbitrarily as investors would be given time to establish their processing plants.

Whats the time frame for this a year or 2?

According to him, states can do it solely or in partnership with private investors, depending on the technical capacity. The minister said that state governments would play key roles in the issuance of mining license to minimise the frictions usually common between investors and the host communities.

I hate idea of state run corporations they usually inefficient and unprofitable. Especially considering Nigeria history of failure it infinitely better to allow price sector to lead charge and at most PPP. PPP since it just government partnering with competent party and collecting profits just being in picture.

When Nigeria companies go it alone we reap failure anyone remember the success of Nigeria Mining corporation, Nigerian coal company, Nigerian Uranium company, Ajaokuta Steel or maybe the refineries.

That said states should look into attracting investment into their state, investing in skills education in sector, maybe PPP etc.

@googlenaija1 site your sources. You didn't right article so you really shouldn't cut out author name.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Exportation Of Unprocessed Solid Mineral by gadpeter(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2017
please how do i get a license for exporting solid mineral, i need your advise please...uzonduojimma@gmail.com or you can slide in msgs thru my whatsapp contact 08116290915

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi's Ministry Presented Documents To Us Which Did Not Contain Facts - Reps / My Support For Buhari's War On Corruption Puts Me In Trouble - Ndu / At Last

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.