Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,533 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. (1375 Views)

Mutallab Pleads Guilty -- What Next For Him? / Abdul Mutallab's Online Posts! / Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by AndreUweh(m): 1:25am On Dec 29, 2009
Mutallab: I warned US about my son’s activity

• •Al Qaeda claims responsibility •Obama vows to go after suspects

Mutallab
The Mutallab Family recovered yesterday from the shock of the arrest of its son Umar Farouk for attempting to blow up a Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in Detroit on Christmas Day.
The family said the suspect disappeared about two months a hours of Saturday, 26th December, 2009 to the news of an attempt to blow up a plane by a young Nigerian man, who was later identified as Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab.
"Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab is the son of Alhaji (Dr.) Umaru AbdulMutallab, the head of this Family.
"Prior to this incident, his father, having become concerned about his disappearance and stoppage of communication while schooling abroad, reported the matter to the Nigerian security agencies about two months ago, and to some foreign security agencies about a month and a half ago, then sought their assistance to find and return him home.
"We provided them with all the information required of us to enable them do this. We were hopeful that they would find and return him home.
"It was while we were waiting for the outcome of their investigation that we arose to the shocking news of that day.
"The disappearance and cessation of communication which got his mother and father concerned to report to the security agencies are completely out of character and a very recent development, as before then, from very early childhood, Farouk, to the best of parental monitoring, had never shown any attitude, conduct or association that would give concern. As soon as concern arose, very recently, his parents reported it and sought help.
"The family will continue to fully cooperate with local and international security agencies towards the investigation of this matter, while we await results of the full investigation.
"We, along with the whole world, are thankful to Al-Mighty God that there were no lives lost in the incident. May God continue to protect us all, amen.
"Finally, as the matter is being investigated by the various agencies, and has already been mentioned in a US court, the family requests that the press should regard this as the only statement it will make for now."
The Mutallab family is said to be trying to hire lawyers in the United States for their son.
There is outrage in US over what is perceived as security lapse in nipping the attempted bomb attack.
Americans are unhappy that embassy officials did not revoke the Mutallab’s visa after his father reported that he has developed ‘radical views’. His visa is due to expire in June, next year.
Instead, officials said they marked Mutallab’s file for a full investigation should he ever reapply for a visa.
When they passed the information on to Washington, Mutallab’s name was added to 550,000 others with some alleged terrorist connections — but not to the no-fly list. That meant no flags were raised when he used cash to buy a ticket to the US and boarded a plane, checking no bags.
Now that Mutallab is charged with trying to blow up a transcontinental airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day, some members of Congress are questioning why, eight years after the Sept. 11 attacks, security measures still cannot keep makeshift bombs off airliners.
Amid criticisms that security lapses had led to a brush with disaster, President Obama ordered a review of the two major planks of the aviation security system — the creation of watch lists and the use of detection equipment at airport checkpoints.
Besides, he vowed not to "rest until we find all those involved".
The US President said: "This was a serious reminder of the dangers that we face and the nature of those who threaten our homeland."
And he also insisted he is committed to the broader fight against terror groups across parts of the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
"We will continue to use every element of our national power to disrupt, to dismantle and defeat the violent extremists who threaten us.
Counterterrorism experts and members of Congress are deploring a security system that had proved to be not nimble enough to respond to the ever-creative techniques devised by would-be terrorists.
Congressional leaders said the tip from Mutallab’s father should have resulted in closer scrutiny of the suspect before he boarded the plane in Amsterdam.
Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, the ranking minority member of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said his visa should have been revoked, or that he at least should have been given a physical pat-down or a full-body scan.
"This individual should not have been missed," Ms. Collins said in an interview. "Clearly, there should have been a red flag next to his name."

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/30556/1/Mutallab-I-warned-US-about-my-sons-activity/Page1.html
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by mamagee3(f): 1:31am On Dec 29, 2009
He's a hero. cheesy cheesy
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by AndreUweh(m): 1:32am On Dec 29, 2009
I think Mallam Muttalab is without blemish for his son's devilish activity.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Parohfreh(f): 3:16am On Dec 29, 2009
I agree.
Very true according to the facts before us.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by cantell(m): 7:54am On Dec 29, 2009
@All,
Patriotic my arse!
US reprisal would have been so hard for him to bear. They would have shoved their foot down his throat!
Hero indeed!
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by AndreUweh(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2009
Cantell
Click on the link provided, read through and comment Farouk's fathers role. That is what the thread is all about.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Lagosboy: 12:18pm On Dec 29, 2009
cantell:

@All,
Patriotic my arse!
US reprisal would have been so hard for him to bear. They would have shoved their foot down his throat!
Hero indeed!

The same foot that was shoved on the Bin laden family and business emire in the US
The same foot that was shoved down the throat of the 15 saudi 9/11 hijackers
The same foot that was shoved down the throat of jonny walkers(Taliban fighter) dad a US justice
the same foot that was shoved down the 7/7 hijackers parents

Guy give me a break, US is not Nigeria where a thief steals and his whole family are arrested.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Remii(m): 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2009
cantell:

@All,
Patriotic my arse!
Hero indeed!

Lagosboy:

The same foot that was shoved on the Bin laden family and business emire in the US
The same foot that was shoved down the throat of the 15 saudi 9/11 hijackers
The same foot that was shoved down the throat of jonny walkers(Taliban fighter) dad a US justice
the same foot that was shoved down the 7/7 hijackers parents

Guy give me a break, US is not Nigeria where a thief steals and his whole family are arrested.

They even helped the Bin Laden family to fly out out America the same day of 9/11 when all US airports were shut down. US is sure deal with issues not sentiments, at least officially.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Sagamite(m): 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2009
I advocated he was blameless right from time.

He went out of his way to forewarn. It was left to the authorities.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by AndreUweh(m): 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2009
Sagamite:

I advocated he was blameless right from time.

He went out of his way to forewarn. It was left to the authorities.
Word of wisdom.
Well said Sagamite.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Lagosboy: 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2009
I remember PATAKI arguing with me and trying to incriminate his father in this plot. It is just plane foolishness for anyone to still blame a father who reportd his own son. How many fathers would do the same , perhaps these antagonist want his father tohave killed the boy.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by AndreUweh(m): 12:33pm On Dec 29, 2009
Lagosboy:

I remember PATAKI arguing with me and trying to incriminate his father in this plot. It is just plane foolishness for anyone to still blame a father who reportd his own son. How many fathers would do the same , perhaps these antagonist want his father tohave killed the boy.
Another wise comment. Well done.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 29, 2009
I doubt if i'd have the courage to deny my own son.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by AndreUweh(m): 12:40pm On Dec 29, 2009
~Bluetooth:

I won't deny my son as well. Mallam Mutallab hasn't denied Farouk yet and am sure he will not.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by femfem2000: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2009
Bluetooth, no one would deny their son after just 2 months of strange behaviour. Most would believe the 23years of good behaviour over 2 months of bad behaviour and hope the child would change. They wouldn't immediately call the authorities. This so called reporting of their son after just 2 months of disappearance just isn't adding up.

Contibnued here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-373040.0.html
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Sagamite(m): 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2009
~Bluetooth:

I would gladly and effortlessly deny any useless child.

How is it right for me to condemn another's when they wrong but then protect mine when he wrongs.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 29, 2009
I know but sometimes people make some decision even when they are not comfortable with it.I honestly give credit to mr mutallab for his action cause he knew what the son was capable of doing.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by femfem2000: 1:01pm On Dec 29, 2009
Sagamite so a son of 23 years of good behaviour all of a sudden becomes useless after disppearing for 2 months.
Obviously the father musn't have trusted his 23years of bringing up his son.

They didn't speak to him in the period he changed so how did they know that he had become radicalised?

They only way I can believe this is if the parents had known about his radicalisation and plans BEFORE he disappeared and are now lying about him turning evil after disappearing.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Sagamite(m): 1:05pm On Dec 29, 2009
femfem2000:

Sagamite so a son of 23 years of good behaviour all of a sudden becomes useless after disppearing for 2 months.
Obviously the father musn't have trusted his 23years of bringing up his son.

They didn't speak to him in the period he changed so how did they know that he had become radicalised?

They only way I can believe this is if the parents had known about his radicalisation and plans BEFORE he disappeared and are now lying about him turning evil after disappearing.

You are a mo-ron!!!

Read the news before openning your gob and vomiting rubbish over and over again out of ignorance.

It has been reported repeatedly that the boy has been expressing radical views for years and is very islamic. So why do you think the father would not be worried when a son with radical views says he is going to Yemen and then disconnects usually from the family.

If you can not use your brain before you post, smash it with a hammer as it seems you don't need it.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by jaybee3(m): 1:08pm On Dec 29, 2009
Sagamite:

If you can not use your brain before you post, smash it with a hammer as it seems you don't need it.

classic sag at his best. cool
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by femfem2000: 1:21pm On Dec 29, 2009
From the press release at the top of the post

"Prior to this incident, his father, having become concerned about his disappearance and stoppage of communication while schooling abroad, reported the matter to the Nigerian security agencies about two months ago, and to some foreign security agencies about a month and a half ago, then sought their assistance to find and return him home."

"The disappearance and cessation of communication which got his mother and father concerned to report to the security agencies are completely out of character and a very recent development, as before then, from very early childhood, Farouk, to the best of parental monitoring, had never shown any attitude, conduct or association that would give concern. As soon as concern arose, very recently, his parents reported it and sought help.

Where did it say he has been expressing radical view for years?

Sagamite practice what you preach.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Sagamite(m): 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2009
femfem2000:

From the press release at the top of the post

"Prior to this incident, his father, having become concerned about his disappearance and stoppage of communication while schooling abroad, reported the matter to the Nigerian security agencies about two months ago, and to some foreign security agencies about a month and a half ago, then sought their assistance to find and return him home."

Where did it say he has been expressing radical view for years?

Sagamite practice what you preach.

If you listened to the news, his teacher in secondary school said he used to express support for Taliban in lectures in class. A sharp perosn would conclude he did this around family and friends as well. Then moving to Londonistan (the heart of fundamentalists meeting point) and meeting fellow radicals should worry a father when he says he is going to Yemen.

Note: I did not vituperate you here. Why?

1) Giving you benefit of doubt that you do not live in UK hence lacked easy access to that news report.

2) This is the first piece of post you have made that had a little logical conclusion but only lacked info.

If you are based in the UK, then I appologise profusely for not calling you a foool.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by spikedcylinder: 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2009
I think the father became particularly concerned when Farouk left the UK for all dem Yemen, egypt and Dubai.
Ordinary under -17 qualifications the other day, some Nigerian parents were lying their asses off for their kids. I commend the man abeg.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 29, 2009
I'd really want to know Mallam Mutallab's stance on the state of affairs with regards to Islam and spate of suicide bombings.

Did he become concerned (and then subsequently alerted the US officials) when he lost contact with his son/got wind of his son's radical views?
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by jaybee3(m): 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

I'd really want to know Mallam Mutallab's stance on the state of affairs with regards to Islam and spate of suicide bombings.

Did he become concerned (and then subsequently alerted the US officials) when he lost contact with his son/got wind of his son's radical views?

hasn't the father answered your concerns by taking the unprecedented steps of reporting his own son for sliding through the radical path?
Why would he report his own son for going to YEMEN if he didn't have reservations about radical view of Islam in the said country?
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by wirinet(m): 2:44pm On Dec 29, 2009
Sentimental Nigerians, so The father of Mutallab has now become a hero for reporting a  child he raised for being a social deviant.  Please explain to me who raised the kid to become a fundamentalist Muslim and who is paying for all the Islamic education(indoctrination) the child has been having. This Kid was probable a Fundamentalist Muslim before his teen years because he was said to be known as "Alfa" while in secondary school.

Patriotic act my foot, if the boy  had succeeded in bombing the plane, the anger of American people and government towards Nigeria and Nigerians (and not just Mutallabs family) would have made you realize how patriotic his act was. Remember every bombing of US planes by terrorists had always attracted US reprisals , ask Gadaffi and the Taliban.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2009
jay bee:

hasn't the father answered your concerns by taking the unprecedented steps of reporting his own son for sliding through the radical path?
Why would he report his own son for going to YEMEN if he didn't have reservations about radical view of Islam in the said country?
You are missing the point.
I want you to take his son or family member out of the picture.
Rewind a few months or even years

It would be interesting to know if he'd do the same if some other guy attempted to pluck a plane from the skies.
Infact, what are his views of 9-11 and the London bombings??

Obviously, as a well known man in Nigeria and a loving father he took steps to understand his son and also make him see the negative implications his actions may have on him and the family.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Sagamite(m): 3:06pm On Dec 29, 2009
wirinet:

Sentimental Nigerians, so The father of Mutallab has now become a hero for reporting a  child he raised for being a social deviant.  Please explain to me who raised the kid to become a fundamentalist Muslim and who is paying for all the Islamic education(indoctrination) the child has been having. This Kid was probable a Fundamentalist Muslim before his teen years because he was said to be known as "Alfa" while in secondary school.

So if a man raised his child to be a strict muslim, then he is responsible if the child becomes a radical or for raising the child as one?

wirinet:

Patriotic act my foot, if the boy  had succeeded in bombing the plane, the anger of American people and government towards Nigeria and Nigerians (and not just Mutallabs family) would have made you realize how patriotic his act was. Remember every bombing of US planes by terrorists had always attracted US reprisals , ask Gadaffi and the Taliban.

You mean the way they bombed UK when Richard Reid tried to detonate a shoe bomb?
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by rethink: 3:13pm On Dec 29, 2009
@WIRINET

You are right his father give birth to him and trained him on how to blow up himself. Infact his father is responsible for everything the 23 year old did nobody should have any blame in the matter at all. Infact his mother is the happiest woman on earth, The father was just playing with the Americans when he reported the son 2 months Ago.

Thank you for showing us that we are now programmed from birth, We are no longer responsible for any action we take We should blame our Parents and tribes.

You are the righteous and most holy person let us give you a medal for pointing it out  to us so clearly.

WIRINET THE NEW GENERATION SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGIST
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by wirinet(m): 3:49pm On Dec 29, 2009
Sagamite:

So if a man raised his child to be a strict muslim, then he is responsible if the child becomes a radical or for raising the child as one?

You mean the way they bombed UK when Richard Reid tried to detonate a shoe bomb?

If a man raised his Kid to be a strict Muslim, then he should make sure that Kid understands his own brand of Islam. I have friends who are very strict Muslims and their parents make sure they inculcate their brand of Islam on them.

Sorry i am not too conversant with the Richard Reid case, but i am certain his case would be treated as an isolated case of insanity and not tied to Muslim fundamentalism, and besides the UK and its citizens did not suffer the humiliation Nigerians are suffering now in foreign airlines and airports as a result of the failed bombing. I want you to imagine what would have happened had the bombing succeeded.

rethink:

@WIRINET

You are right his father give birth to him and trained him on how to blow up himself. Infact his father is responsible for everything the 23 year old did nobody should have any blame in the matter at all. Infact his mother is the happiest woman on earth, The father was just playing with the Americans when he reported the son 2 months Ago.

Thank you for showing us that we are now programmed from birth, We are no longer responsible for any action we take We should blame our Parents and tribes.

You are the righteous and most holy person let us give you a medal for pointing it out  to us so clearly.

WIRINET THE NEW GENERATION SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGIST

No sorry it is you that is correct. When his father gave birth to him, his first cry was "Allah U Akbar" and was already a fundamentalist Muslim. His father bears not responsibility at all for the character and values of his child, he is to just required to provide money for what ever the kid needs to show his love.

Now who is showing we are programmed from birth, me or you. If we are 100% responsible for our actions from birth, why are under 16s not held responsible for crimes and instead blame their parents and guidance. If a kid had been radicalized by others due to lack of adequate parental guidance and control, do you heap the blame 100% on the kid?
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by jaybee3(m): 3:52pm On Dec 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

You are missing the point.
I want you to take his son or family member out of the picture.
Rewind a few months or even years

It would be interesting to know if he'd do the same if some other guy attempted to pluck a plane from the skies.
Infact, what are his views of 9-11 and the London bombings??

Obviously, as a well known man in Nigeria and a loving father he took steps to understand his son and also make him see the negative implications his actions may have on him and the family.
I don't think i'm missing the point cos clearly from US's confirmation of the intel giving by his father that it is somewhat relatively safe to conclude that Dr muttalab is against radicalisation of Islamic faith. We currently don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise.
IF the guy was simply worried about his missing son then i'm sure going to the US embassy wouldn't have been one of the steps he had taken.
Re: Mutallab: A Father's Patriotic Act. by Sagamite(m): 4:08pm On Dec 29, 2009
wirinet:

If a man raised his Kid to be a strict Muslim, then he should make sure that Kid understands his own brand of Islam. I have friends who are very strict Muslims and their parents make sure they inculcate their brand of Islam on them.

Sorry i am not too conversant with the Richard Reid case, but i am certain his case would be treated as an isolated case of insanity and not tied to Muslim fundamentalism, and besides the UK and its citizens did not suffer the humiliation  Nigerians are suffering now in foreign airlines and airports as a result of the failed bombing. I want you to imagine what would have happened had the bombing succeeded.

Sorry are you saying his father is the only influence in his life? Or is responsible for controlling all the influences without fault? Is the boy leaving a sheltered life? Is the father suppose to track him 24 hrs even when he is London?

Is the child 16 years old?

Is Hitlers father responsible for the actions of Hitler?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sahara Reporters Web Site Down Since This Morning / Is Becomricha Mad Or Just Insane,or Is He Having A Laugh / Is Nigeria Broke? Why Are We Borrowing $179million To Fund The 2010 Budget?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.