Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement (11581 Views)

Mutallab Pleads Guilty -- What Next For Him? / Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial / Abdul Mutallab's Online Posts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by paddylo1(m): 10:15am On Dec 28, 2009
Our family, like the rest of the world, were woken up in the early hours of Saturday, 26th December, 2009 to the news of an attempt to blow up a plane by a young Nigerian man, who was later identified as Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab. Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab is the son of Alhaji (Dr.) Umaru AbdulMutallab, the head of this Family.

Prior to this incident, his father, having become concerned about his disappearance and stoppage of communication while schooling abroad, reported the matter to the Nigerian security agencies about two months ago, and to some foreign security agencies about a month and a half ago, then sought their assistance to find and return him home.

We provided them with all the information required of us to enable them do this. We were hopeful that they would find and return him home. It was while we were waiting for the outcome of their investigation that we arose to the shocking news of that day.

The disappearance and cessation of communication which got his mother and father concerned to report to the security agencies are completely out of character and a very recent development, as before then, from very early childhood, Farouk, to the best of parental monitoring, had never shown any attitude, conduct or association that would give concern. As soon as concern arose, very recently, his parents, reported it and sought help.

The family will continue to fully cooperate with local and international security agencies towards the investigation of this matter, while we await results of the full investigation.

We, along with the whole world, are thankful to Al-Mighty God that there were no lives lost in the incident. May God continue to protect us all, amen.

Finally, as the matter is being investigated by the various agencies, and has already been mentioned in a US court, the family requests that the press should regard this as the only statement it will make for now.

Thank you.
Signed

The Mutallab Family
Abuja,
Nigeria

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=162889
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by kosovo(m): 10:17am On Dec 28, 2009
sighs. . .
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by wirinet(m): 10:35am On Dec 28, 2009
Although i sympathize with the Mutallabs, this press release is neither here nor there.

paddy_lo:

Prior to this incident, his father, having become concerned about his disappearance and stoppage of communication while schooling abroad, reported the matter to the Nigerian security agencies about two months ago, and to some foreign security agencies about a month and a half ago, then sought their assistance to find and return him home.

The statement here does not say that the boy is an extremist with a propensity to commit terrorism, it says they were concerned that their son is missing and want foreign agencies to help them find him.

paddy_lo:

We provided them with all the information required of us to enable them do this. We were hopeful that they would find and return him home. It was while we were waiting for the outcome of their investigation that we arose to the shocking news of that day.
What kind of information did they provide, when they were actually seeking for information of his whereabouts and help return him home.

paddy_lo:

The disappearance and cessation of communication which got his mother and father concerned to report to the security agencies are completely out of character and a very recent development, as before then, from very early childhood, Farouk, to the best of parental monitoring, had never shown any attitude, conduct or association that would give concern. As soon as concern arose, very recently, his parents, reported it and sought help.

Further shows that they were more concerned about his whereabouts than his activities. So they were seeking help rather than trying to help.
How can they have provides the best parental monitoring and they do not know his whereabouts. How could they have provided parental anything when the boy had been away from home from such an early age.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by metalgong5(m): 10:38am On Dec 28, 2009
I thought that Alhaji Mutallab said that he will hold an international press conferrence today being monday . .Has that been cancelled?
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Goldmind1(m): 11:12am On Dec 28, 2009
If the terrorist's father is Sanusi's best friend, am afraid if the Sanusi himself has a link with terrorism.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Sauron1: 11:19am On Dec 28, 2009
wirinet:

Although i sympathize with the Mutallabs, this press release is neither here nor there.

Read between the lines.

The statement here does not say that the boy is an extremist with a propensity to commit terrorism, it says they were concerned that their son is missing and want foreign agencies to help them find him.
What kind of information did they provide, when they were actually seeking for information of his whereabouts and help return him home.

The family alerted the US/UK embassies in Nigeria that they are not satisfied with the kinda company their son is keeping.
How many Nigerian families would do that to their own sons?
Stop apportioning blame, Farouk is the culprit. . . . .nothing to do with his family.

Further shows that they were more concerned about his whereabouts than his activities. So they were seeking help rather than trying to help.
How can they have provides the best parental monitoring and they do not know his whereabouts. How could they have provided parental anything when the boy had been away from home from such an early age.

What has parenting gotta do with a son that is determined to go BAD?
He left Nigeria at an early age so they can provide him the best education possible. . . . .That is good parenting.
Farouk stayed in London for 3 years studying engineering with his tuition paid by his parents. . . . .Another good parenting.

His movement couldn't have been restricted. His parents stay in Nigeria, Farouk was staying in the UK where he probably got radicalised.
As soon as his parents suspected him to be misbehaving and travelling to the middle east, they alerted security officers.
America should be held responsible for giving this dude a Visa despite him being on their watch-list.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by tk22ng: 11:28am On Dec 28, 2009
no comment for now.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by wirinet(m): 12:17pm On Dec 28, 2009
~Sauron~:

Read between the lines.

The family alerted the US/UK embassies in Nigeria that they are not satisfied with the kinda company their son is keeping.
How many Nigerian families would do that to their own sons?
Stop apportioning blame, Farouk is the culprit. . . . .nothing to do with his family.

What has parenting gotta do with a son that is determined to go BAD?
He left Nigeria at an early age so they can provide him the best education possible. . . . .That is good parenting.
Farouk stayed in London for 3 years studying engineering with his tuition paid by his parents. . . . .Another good parenting.

His movement couldn't have been restricted. His parents stay in Nigeria, Farouk was staying in the UK where he probably got radicalised.
As soon as his parents suspected him to be misbehaving and travelling to the middle east, they alerted security officers.
America should be held responsible for giving this dude a Visa despite him being on their watch-list.

I won't quarrel with any of your arguments save the one bordering on parenting since i do not know the exact nature of the information provided to the US/UK embassies.

It saddens me that most Nigerians do not have an understanding of what parenting entails. And this is why we have so many social problems such as cultism, prostitution, 419, etc among the youths. Good parenting involves inculcating family values into your children and not allowing others to do it for you. That was the traditional African system. Even the western world we are trying to emulate emphasize parents inculcating values into their children before sending them into the world.

I have a cousin whose parents were very wealthy and they sent their first son abroad very early in life to some of the best schools in the world. The boy came back in his late teens a drug addict and social deviant and we have been taking him to Yaba periodically for the last 30 years. I always blame the parents for bed parenting.

The inmates of Yaba are mainly children of the high and mighty, some of whom had been brought back from the US.

I am very surprised you are asking what parenting has do with a son that is determined to go BAD. Sending a child to a good school is good, but that without parental guidance does not constitute good parenting.

I am not blaming the family directly for their son's crimes, what i blame them (especially the mother) for is for not contributing positively to the character of their child. The boy is clearly mentally disturbed. People find solace in religious extremism in order to cope with more disturbing mental and emotional problems
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Sauron1: 12:25pm On Dec 28, 2009
wirinet:

It saddens me that most Nigerians do not have an understanding of what parenting entails. And this is why we have so many social problems such as cultism, prostitution, 419, etc among the youths. Good parenting involves inculcating family values into your children and not allowing others to do it for you. That was the traditional African system. Even the western world we are trying to emulate emphasize parents inculcating values into their children before sending them into the world.

There's nothing to say the parents did not inculcate family values into Farouk.
It is his choice to go bad even after getting the best any Nigerian kid can get.
A boy can still decide to go bad even if raised by the Pope himself. There are many pastor's children in Nigeria that are armed robbers/whores.

I have a cousin whose parents were very wealthy and they sent their first son abroad very early in life to some of the best schools in the world. The boy came back in his late teens a drug addict and social deviant and we have been taking him to Yaba periodically for the last 30 years. I always blame the parents for bed parenting.

I have 200 cousins whose parents were very wealthy and they were sent abroad but became Engineers, doctors, lawyers and project managers.
U cannot isolate a single case and use it to form a theory.
Farouk is always going to be a bad boy. Sending him abroad didn't make him bad. He coulda been in Naija and still be a bad boy.

The inmates of Yaba are mainly children of the high and mighty, some of whom had been brought back from the US.

Provide proof.
Stop guessing.

I am very surprised you are asking what  parenting has do with a son that is determined to go BAD. Sending a child to a good school is good, but that without parental guidance does not constitute good parenting.

I was sent abroad at an early age. . . . . .I didn't become a terrorist on the back of it.
Many kids like me from Nigeria had the same circumstance. . . . .They all made it count. Graduating with honours and making a better life for themselves. When you look at Farouk on one side. . . .Think about the tens of thousands of Nigerians that have graduated from UK/US schools.

I am not blaming the family directly for their son's crimes, what i blame them (especially the mother) for is for not contributing positively to the character of their child. The boy is clearly mentally disturbed. People find solace in religious extremism in order to cope with more disturbing mental and emotional problems

The boy was not mentally disturbed when he left Nigeria.
He graduated from UCL as an engineering student. Mentally-disturbed kids don't study engineering.
Farouk got radicalised. That is his choice. He is 23 not 13.

Every human being still has to make his choice. . . . .Good parenting aside.
Don't smoke, don't drink, don't steal. . . .Kids will still make their choice.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by honeric01(m): 12:26pm On Dec 28, 2009
uhm, no comment for now too tongue
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Singular: 12:29pm On Dec 28, 2009
wirinet:

I won't quarrel with any of your arguments save the one bordering on parenting since i do not know the exact nature of the information provided to the US/UK embassies.

I am very surprised you are asking what  parenting has do with a son that is determined to go BAD. Sending a child to a good school is good, but that without parental guidance does not constitute good parenting.

You are not saying anything worthwhile. What do his parents have to do with his extremist views?
So Osama's parents did not lead him right?

wirinet:

Where the heck do you get your information from? Mainly children of the high and mighty??
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Kobojunkie: 12:29pm On Dec 28, 2009
wirinet:

This is similar to what I have gotten from this so far.

wirinet:

Same impression I have gotten so far from reports.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by away4real(m): 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This is similar to what I have gotten from this so far.

Same impression I have gotten so far from reports.

@ kobo and wirinet, i totally agree with you guys. The statement says nothing. There is no straight rebuke of his actions but an attempt to kind of ?? i really dont get it, they should have just kept quiet.

On this day today they are trying to spin the issue in favour of the father, i think its a bad step.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by sayso: 12:48pm On Dec 28, 2009
this is like watching 24 season 5/6,remember farouk in that firm,very interesting to think that somw of this film could give somebody away in real life.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 28, 2009
Thats why i will continue to dislike the western law on parenting.I have heard series of cases where children sued their parents by interfering in their privacy.People should not blame his parent as much as this is a common thing in the west.The good thing the man could have done was to alert the united states and nigeria security agencies on the activities of the boy and which he did irrespective of the format he presented the case.If i may ask,how many parents can conviniently report their child of theft,prostitution or armed robbery to the police.If the action of this man continued to be criticized,then i wonder how fathers of future terrorists would report their children for extremist and terrorism.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by proudly9ja(m): 1:20pm On Dec 28, 2009
You guys should realise that this is an official statement. There is no way they would have said anything to further incriminate the guy cos they don't know what statement the guy has given so far to the feds therefore everything said in this statement was written by a trained lawyer. I did not expect anything less.

But again, like I told some people yesterday, I hope we now see that there was no way the US Embasy could have cancelled his VISA based on his father's letter(s).

For me, while we cannot totally blame anyone for the breach in security, I will like them to investigate more on what happened at the Dutch airport.

PS: I don't think we can blame the parents based on what we have read. If we have further information of negligence, good but based on this statement, the parents did their best. If person wan mara, na only God fit stop am.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by proudly9ja(m): 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Thats why i will continue to dislike the western law on parenting.I have heard series of cases where children sued their parents by interfering in their privacy.People should not blame his parent as much as this is a common thing in the west.The good thing the man could have done was to alert the united states and nigeria security agencies on the activities of the boy and which he did irrespective of the format he presented the case.If i may ask,how many parents can conviniently report their child of theft,prostitution or armed robbery to the police.If the action of this man continued to be criticized,then i wonder how fathers of future terrorists would report their children for extremist and terrorism.

The western way of bringing up a child is totally wrong. While they may have had good intentions, they have totally destroyed family values. Even the UK government now know that and are trying to correct the situation but unfortunately, its hard with all the child right organisations, human rights, etc.

While I agree that there should be control on the excesses of parents and guardians on the way they punish their children, I also do think that parents must be given FULL responsibility of taking care of their children at least between age 0 and 18
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Phlota(f): 1:33pm On Dec 28, 2009
i heard in d news d father wrote 2 d US authorities sm 6 mnths back warnin dem abt his son nd all dat. He was in the wanted list or thereabt.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Beaf: 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2009
They brought up a useless child.

Now that the useless child has shown his dangerous upbringing to the World, the family have not come out to condemn his actions outright. There is no hint of remorse in that statement.
Their useless son was going to take 280+ souls on the plane with himself and countless others on the ground (his timing was to maximise the probability of the planing crashing into built up areas).

So far, the boy is not known to have any terrorist links in London. So how did he get such a direct link to Al-Qaeda in Yemen? Was it through family? Is it that he stumbled into a "trade" meant for the less fortunate?
The family, their religious bank, their extended circle of friends and acquaintances should be probed for any extemist affiliations or sponsorship.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by spikedcylinder: 3:07pm On Dec 28, 2009
wirinet:

Dude, everyone was born naked, no one came with a rule book. There's no clear cut approach to parenting as different methods work for different children. I think its the nature vs nurture thing. Farouk's parents did what they thought was best for him - sent him to the best schools money can buy and provided him with unimaginable comfort. There's no telling that he wouldn't have turned out the same way if they had kept him at home and sent him to Al-Amin grammar school.
Blaming the parents here is soooooo off the point.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 28, 2009
I'm kinda lost seeing people bashing the father.If i may ask,how does one successfully raise a child.Will anyone blame the parent for sending him to school abroad in order to get the best education or better still that he should be sent to U.I to meet local standards?.My point is as a parent you can also do as much as you can for a child:school him,feed him,clothe him etc but in the end the child may either reciprocate to the parent by turning out to be good or punishing them to become evil.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Beaf: 3:31pm On Dec 28, 2009
^
Ask yourself the simple question; can a child be born evil?
The honest answer to that question will see you blaming his upbringing. Add to that the lack of remorse from the family for the attempted bombing. . . 2 +2 = 4
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by wirinet(m): 3:33pm On Dec 28, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Dude, everyone was born unclothed, no one came with a rule book. There's no clear cut approach to parenting as different methods work for different children. I think its the nature vs nurture thing. Farouk's parents did what they thought was best for him - sent him to the best schools money can buy and provided him with unimaginable comfort. There's no telling that he wouldn't have turned out the same way if they had kept him at home and sent him to Al-Amin grammar school.
Blaming the parents here is soooooo off the point.

Blaming the parents for a child's upbringing is soooooooo within the point, just a praising theparents for a child's achievements. If you attend an average traditional wedding in Nigeria, you will hear eulogies upon eulogies how the bridegroom or bride was well brought up by his parents, especially if the bride/bridegroom is doing well.

I am very concerned about the low level of parenting exhibited by our society today, it is wholly unafrican. In the recent past, the whole family was responsible for the children upbringing, and any major crime by the children was taken out (socially that is) on the whole family and sometimes on the whole clan. Before, a good family name was paramount and family heads makes sure children are brought up to certain minimum standards.

PARENTS SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR CHILD'S UPBRINGING.

As i said earlier, i am sure the child was mentally or emotionally disturbed,  and that has nothing to do with his educational attainment.

Someone does not become an extremist overnight, it takes years of discontentment, disorientation and disillusion.  If the father and mother had been alive to their responsibilities, they would have noticed his problems and sent him to a psychiatrist to psychoanalyze him. Because his reason for attempting suicide and killing hundreds of people is utterly senseless and Islamic fundamentalism alone cannot explain his actions.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 28, 2009
I do not understand the rationale behind blaming the parents for the sins of a full fledged 23 year old.

The mere fact that Dr Umaru AbdulMutallab alerted the US authorities to his son's rather radical activites speak volumes.
I believe he should be absolved of his sons actions.
Although, it would be interesting to know his stance/views with regards to the spate of suicide bombings in other parts of world.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Beaf: 3:39pm On Dec 28, 2009
^
The fact that he had to report his son to strangers and foreigners is the biggest display of parental fu ck up.
This is a father who could not talk to his son, talkless of convince him about his evil beliefs (that he failed to notice over the years).

Maybe he was too busy making money to be there for his son.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by wirinet(m): 3:51pm On Dec 28, 2009
OMO IBO:

I do not understand the rationale behind blaming the parents for the sins of a full fledged 23 year old.

The mere fact that Dr Umaru AbdulMutallab alerted the US authorities to his son's rather radical activites speak volumes.
I believe he should be absolved of his sons actions.
Although, it would be interesting to know his stance/views with regards to the spate of suicide bombings in other parts of world.

The boy did not become a full fledged 23 overnight, he was brought up in the religion, language, culture of the parents and should have been imbibed the values of the parents also.

We are not told of the exact nature of the alert but if he told them that his son is a would be suicide bomber, i am sure the us authorities would have been more alert.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2009
Wirinet
let me school you a bit if you dont know but NO OFFENCE INTENDED.
After the 9/11,the united states signed the USA PATRIOT ACT into law WITHIN A MONTH.It covers all area of anti-terrorism both legal and illegal.It involves wire-tapping,phone bugging,interception of e-mails,static and mobile surveillance,illegal detentions,abuse of peoples' freedom,opening of guantanamo bay and other high profile dention centres and so many more.I learnt that apart from the israelis,the united is the best when it comes to counter-terrorism.That your analysis that the father did not call the boy a terrorist is a big joke.They know more than us as they have their spies everywhere who knows if they are on nL.A little intelligence is not wasted in the united states.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by lewa(m): 4:30pm On Dec 28, 2009
Let us thank God that he did not succeed with his evil and cowardly act.The chap is a product of being spoiled rotten
It's not only rich kids that spoil kids, i know kids from dirt poor homes that parents can't control.
His parents also failed in their duties.I think some complacent nature on their part led to this disgrace to the
family and embarrassment to the Nation. I put this poser to you if he was not Mutallab's son, or just some
poor family the father would have been arrested and locked up,
But i can imagine the pain,regret that his family are going through now.
Thank God Bush is no longer in power, Nigeria would have been overrun by now
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by Beaf: 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2009
Imagine an 18 year old (his age when he started the engineering course at UCL) living in a $4 million flat! What would his understanding of life be?
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by AloyEmeka6: 4:38pm On Dec 28, 2009
How many Nigerian parents will report their 419 or terrorist child/ren to the appropriate authorities?. Farouk's parents are one in a million and nobody should blame them for anything here.
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by SEFAGO(m): 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2009
u must be kidding? Nigerian parents are proud and would report anything that would bring shame to their name- if my child was a suspected extremist, i would keep him under lock and key so that my family nae wouldnt be aired all over the world. Now any mutallab who travels outside would get extra scrutiny
Re: Breaking News: Mutallab Family Issues Statement by AloyEmeka6: 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2009
Beaf:

Imagine an 18 year old (his age when he started the engineering course at UCL) living in a $4 million flat! What would his understanding of life be?

A lot of kids in Nigeria from rich homes live in houses more expensive than that. Did that make them turn into a monster?. There are also kids who come from wretched homes yet they terrorize fellow students at the university in the name of secret cult. What then is responsible for such behavior?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Security Situation In Lagos As At Date / Obi, Bianca Condemn Demolition Of Ojukwu Centre / 2023: I Expect Younger Generation To Rescue Nigeria - IBB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.