Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Why Couples Look Alike. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Couples Look Alike. (1527 Views)

Divorce Lawyers Reveal Ridiculous Reasons Why Couples Ended Their Marriage / Why Do Couples Look Alike As They Grow Older / This Woman Explained Why Couples Divorce - And People Overwhelmingly Agreed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Couples Look Alike. by darichlife: 8:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
If you've ever noticed that some married couples look alike, you're not being creepy or wrong. This is a real thing, and there are good reasons for it.

And no, this isn't the same as people looking like their dogs.

According to a new study published on Thursday in PLOS Genetics, there's a simple reason for this phenomenon, and it's not as surprising as you might think.

Up until very recently, most people found their spouse in their local community - most likely at high school, church, or local events - and that person had the same basic ancestry. Many generations of this creates a genetic structure in the population, which means that marrying someone who looks like you has less to do with preference and more to do with shared ancestry.

However, while picking someone of similar ancestry was the norm for older generations, due to the increase of mobility in younger Americans, fewer people are marrying or partnering with someone from their hometown.

The researchers in the study explored genetic similarity between spouses from three generations of white people in the Framingham Heart Study, an ongoing examination of heart health in the residents of Framingham, Mass., which began in 1948. The researchers used geonomic data to define the ancestry of more than 800 pairs of spouses and observed that individuals of Northern European, Southern European, and Ashkenazi ancestry preferentially chose spouses of the same background. But they noted that each successive generation was less likely to choose a spouse with the same ancestry.

The findings from this study reflect demographic patterns and how they have changed during the past 60 years in Framingham and, theoretically, throughout the United States.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have been wondering why some couples look alike for since 2001 i first saw my friends parents who were in their 50's-60's.
The first day i came to the house i saw the wife outside the compound, i greeted her and she sounded very lively and hospitable, though i was expecting older people to be friendly and warm but she seemed so excited to have seen me despite being the first time am meeting one on one with her. On getting to the living room i met the dad who looked exactly like the mum, he was so friendly and jovial offered me great hospitality and comfort. I inquired from my friend who is the woman outside? "He said she is my mum" I started asking him why is he lying to me. He said there is no reason, and he asked me why am doubting him? I plainly asked him how can your mum and dad look like twins? He laughed and said am not the first person to have said that. I was marveled and was still amazed by God's wonder. Do you have any Look alike couples? Please share your experience

Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by dacblogger: 8:21pm On Apr 13, 2017
Yes,pple say i look like my fiance...
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2017
Lol. Who doesn't know that couples do look alike on the long-run due to their constant exchange of body fluids(blood).

1 Like

Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by BasketballGURU(m): 8:26pm On Apr 13, 2017
They don't look alike please,it's just an illusion which your brain concoct
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by olayinks007(m): 8:42pm On Apr 13, 2017
dacblogger:

Yea so u dont knw... tongue
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by blackjack21(m): 8:48pm On Apr 13, 2017
kimbra:
Lol. Who doesn't know that couples do look alike on the long-run due to their constant exchange of body fluids(blood).

I think there is something, like some kind of connection, apart from fluid exchange. Because not all couples actually have semblance.
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 13, 2017
blackjack21:

I think there is something, like some kind of connection, apart from fluid exchange. Because not all couples actually have semblance.
You have a point too but the major factor I know is the blood.

1 Like

Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2017
dacblogger:
Someone said I look like my boyfriend. I laughed really hard that day.

1 Like

Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by Loyalblak007(f): 9:07pm On Apr 13, 2017
lol, but it's kinda true though
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by ilevic(m): 9:09pm On Apr 13, 2017
I don't believe this trash theory. For me, the seeming resemblance is because we tend to pair the faces of couples over time.
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by harffie(m): 9:09pm On Apr 13, 2017
True, I have seen couples...
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by blackjack21(m): 9:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
kimbra:
You have a point too but the major factor I know is the blood.

If it's blood, what about people having blood transfusion? I haven't noticed any similarities there. Have you?
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by TosinDru: 12:05am On Apr 14, 2017
Loyalblak007:
lol, but it's kinda true though
Shoooo. Oshiomole and hin wife resemble?, that devil is a liar
Re: Why Couples Look Alike. by kunlexy1759(m): 12:47am On Apr 14, 2017
TosinDru:

Shoooo. Oshiomole and hin wife resemble?, that devil is a liar
for where?
Even GEJ & Patience no look alike.

(1) (Reply)

5 Habits That Will Make You Poor For Life / Have You Ever Felt This Pain Before (photos) / Non Virgins - The Bigger/fat The Guy Is? The Wider Ur Puss-y Hole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.