Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N (1376 Views)

Edo/ondo: INEC Petitions NBA Over Conflicting Orders By Courts / FACT CHECK: Is Tanko Mohammed Qualified To Be The Chief Justice Of Nigeria? / Trouble As Nri Community Threatens To Sue Ipob Leader N. Kanu Over Alleged Taboo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by sarrki(m): 1:25pm On Apr 16, 2017
Nnamdi Kanu [Photo: TODAY.ng]
On February 28, some prominent Nigerians led by former Central Bank Governor, Charles Soludo, addressed a press conference where they demanded the release of Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, who has been in detention for over one year on allegations of treason.
Mr. Soludo’s group, Uzuku Umunna, which also included former presidential candidate, Pat Utomi and former chairman of the electricity regulatory commission, Sam Amadi, gave reasons for their demand; one of which is the alleged ‘illegality’ of holding Mr. Kanu in detention despite ‘court orders.’
“A situation where the state refuses to obey clear and legitimate court orders for his release and holds him until it gets a favourable order; moves the goalposts endlessly through endless amendment of the charges against him; and now seeks to try him in secret clearly constitutes circumstances that would fall well short of the constitutional guarantees of due process,” Mr. Soludo, who spoke on behalf of the group, said.
The call by the Uzuku Umunna is similar to that by other Nigerians who have challenged the federal government to seek better ways to resolve the Biafra agitation in the south-east; with many insisting Mr. Kanu’s detention is illegal as it allegedly violates court orders.
But, does his detention violate any court order?
FACT CHECK
Like Mr. Soludo, Mr. Kanu’s lawyer and indeed Mr. Kanu have reiterated that stance since an Abuja Division of the Federal High Court ordered his (Kanu’s) release on December 17, 2015.
Xby Counterflix

Charles Soludo
Reacting to his continuous detention, Mr. Kanu and his lawyers accused several judges of refusing to toe the line of the December 17 judgement by Justice Adeniyi Ademola, in a bid to fulfil the aspiration of the current government.

“After Kanu was granted bail on December 17, the president was heard saying at the presidential media chat that he (Mr. Kanu) will not leave the prison cell for any reason. That bail was made known to Federal Government on 18th December 2015 but they failed to grant the bail,” said Mr. Kanu’s lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor.
The defendants also filed various requests, both at the Appeal Court and the Community Court of Justice of the Economic Community of West Africa, ECOWAS, demanding that the judgements sanctioning the continued detention of Mr. Kanu be regarded as a flagrant abuse of the order made by a court of coordinate jurisdiction.
The argument by Mr. Kanu’s lawyer was that the defendant was granted bail by the court but was not allowed to enjoy the bail till the prosecution secured a contrary order from the same court.
“A situation where the state refuses to obey clear and legitimate court orders for his release and holds him until it gets a favourable order…”
The above excerpts from Mr. Soludo’s remarks regarding Mr. Kanu’s detention echoes the point of view of Mr. Ejiofor, and indeed the IPOB leader on the matter.
REVIEWING COURT RULINGS
The first court ruling discharging Mr. Kanu was on December 16, 2015.
On December 16, 2015, a Magistrate Court in Abuja discharged Mr. Kanu, after he was first arraigned, following the withdrawal of the charges against him by the prosecution.
The Magistrate, Shuaibu Usman, struck out all criminal charges levelled against Mr. Kanu after counsel to the State Security Service, Moses Idakwo, filed for discontinuation of the matter on the instruction of his client.
Mr. Usman said since the SSS, through its lawyer, had filed for a discontinuation of the case, he had no option than to discharge the accused.
SSS operatives
Mr. Idakwo had in that court hearing stated that further investigations by the SSS had shown that charges against Mr. Kanu could not be entertained by a Magistrate Court due to lack of jurisdiction.
A day later, a Federal High Court presided by Justice Adeniyi Ademola directed that ‘Mr. Kanu be charged to court or set free in the absence of a valid charge against him before a court of law’.
Delivering his judgement on December 17, Mr. Ademola hinged the grounds for his decision on the fact that the defendant had not been charged before a court of law.
The judge further said it was against the provisions of law for any party, including the state, to hold an accused captive for so long without a valid charge.
In other words, the judge said Mr. Kanu was to either be promptly released or charged to court.
A day after Mr. Ademola’s ruling, the federal government filed fresh charges against Mr. Kanu at the Federal High Court, in what appears obedience to the court order.
The federal Government filed a formal charge against Mr. Kanu on December 18, 2015. The new case was filed at the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court.

In that first charge at the Federal High Court, Mr. Kanu was accused of committing various offences bordering on alleged treason.
Reacting to the new charge, Mr. Kanu cast a vote of no confidence in the court, saying he preferred to remain in prison than to be subjected to a court hearing whose decision would not be respected.
Following Mr. Kanu’s remarks about the court, the presiding judge, Ahmed Mohammed, recused himself from the matter, resulting in the transfer of the case file to the chief judge who then handed the matter to Justice John Tsoho, another judge of the Federal High Court, FHC, in Abuja.
REPEATED BAIL REFUSAL
On January 29, 2016 the court presided over by Mr. Tsoho refused Mr. Kanu’s application for bail, allowing his continued detention in prison.
On May 25, 2016, Mr. Kanu’s request to be granted bail at an appellate court in Abuja was also refused by a three-member panel of justices of the Appeal Court led by Abdul Aboki.
According to the judges, Mr. Kanu’s dual citizenship would increase the chances of him leaving the country, thereby jeopardising his case.

They also ruled that the allegation of terrorism earlier included in the charge against the defendants made it imperative that they should not be allowed bail.
On June 21, 2016 Mr. Kanu made another request for the replacement of Mr. Tsoho as presiding judge in his trial. The case was adjourned till September 26, when the first defendant reiterated his request asking that the judge be investigated.
In a petition addressed to the National Judicial Council and made available to journalists, Mr. Kanu said the conduct of Mr. Tsoho amounted to judicial rascality.
He cited the revocation of a previous decision against secret trial by the judge, as well as failure of the court to promptly avail the defence of court proceedings as grounds for the alleged offences in Mr. Kanu’s petition.
Subsequently, on that day, Mr. Tsoho withdrew from participating in the matter.
On November 17, 2016 Mr. Kanu made another request for bail after his case was transferred to Justice Binta Nyako’s court.
On December 1, 2016, the court refused Mr. Kanu’s application for bail yet again.
After his charge was amended to exclude terrorism allegation on March 1, Mr. Kanu has again demanded to be granted bail.
The request made at the FHC in Abuja, venue of his ongoing trial, will be decided on April 25. A similar application currently pending at the ECOWAS court will witness a continuation of hearing on April 27.
Mr. Kanu was first arrested on October 14, 2015 upon his return to Nigeria.
He was detained in the custody of the SSS until January 20, 2016 when the Federal High Court ordered he be transferred to Kuje Prison where he has since remained.
While the continuous detention of Mr. Kanu may not be illegal and not in contravention of any court order, the calls by prominent Nigerians including the Uzuku Umunna, for a political solution to the Biafra agitation remains.
“We do not condone violence, criminality or brigandage of any sort, and nor should any state do so. However, by failing or refusing to address the fundamental issues and instead concentrating on the symptoms, Nigeria runs the grave risk of turning the entire country into a large prison yard or a police state,” Mr. Soludo said.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/228891-fact-check-nigerian-govt-violating-court-orders-detaining-biafra-leader-nnamdi-kanu.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by YourImaginaryBF: 1:26pm On Apr 16, 2017
Kanu is an animal that needs to be dealt with.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by mrborntodoit: 1:27pm On Apr 16, 2017
You still dey ask?

Are you a learner ?
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by sarrki(m): 1:27pm On Apr 16, 2017
No court order violated as far as we are concerned

I mean we the progressives

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by Fmartin(m): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2017
wat suprises me is dat, d moment the domestic animals voted out the zoologist, a wild animal nw surfaces shouting of marginalization. where were you wen d zoologist was ruling over d zoo?

4 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by gberra: 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2017
FACT CHECK

While the continuous detention of Mr. Kanu may not be illegal and not in contravention of any Court order, the calls by prominent Nigerians including the Uzuku Umunna, for a political solution to the biafra agitation remain.

Let him keep bowing to the caliphate in Kuje, We shall soon determine his fate.

Igbos always cry embarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by DrGoodman: 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2017
Yes, a court order to release Nnamdi Kanu was violated.
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by gberra: 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2017
Fmartin:
wat suprises me is dat, d moment the domestic animals voted out the zoologist, a wild animal nw surfaces shouting of marginalization. where were you wen d zoologist was ruling over d zoo?
Truth hurts Igbos cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by meeky007(m): 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
Kanu is an animal that needs to be dealt with.

2 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by YourImaginaryBF: 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
gberra:
FACT CHECK

While the continuous detention of Mr. Kanu may not be illegal and not in contravention of any Court order, the calls by prominent Nigerians including the Uzuku Umunna, for a political solution to the biafra agitation remain.

Let him keep bowing to the caliphate in Kuje, We shall soon determine his fate.

Igbos always cry embarassed
nnamdi Cownu still has 120years jail term to serve.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by DrGoodman: 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2017
gberra:
Truth hurts Igbos cheesy

Ipob matter will soon give you high bp like all the others before you. Just don't drink poison like one man from your ethnicity called awo

2 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by DrGoodman: 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
nnamdi Cownu still has 120years jail term to serve.

And Nigeria has another 125 years before they can see the truth grin
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by Fmartin(m): 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2017
gberra:
Truth hurts Igbos cheesy
i hate hypocrites
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by gberra: 1:52pm On Apr 16, 2017
DrGoodman:

Ipob matter will soon give you high bp like all the others before you. Just don't drink poison like one man from your ethnicity called awo
Igbos always cry embarassed embarassed embarassed

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by gberra: 1:55pm On Apr 16, 2017

1 Like

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by gberra: 1:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
Fmartin:
i hate hypocrites
Igbos love hypocrisy shocked

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by YourImaginaryBF: 1:56pm On Apr 16, 2017
DrGoodman:

And Nigeria has another 125 years before they can see the truth grin
What is the truth? That nnamdi cownu's agitation for Biafrau.d is driven by greed?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by ZombieTERROR: 1:57pm On Apr 16, 2017
sarrki:
No court order violated as far as we are concerned

I mean we the zombies

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by omenkaLives(m): 1:58pm On Apr 16, 2017
Tired of the drama jor.

Merry Easter everyone. smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by ZombieTERROR: 1:59pm On Apr 16, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
What is the truth? That nnamdi cownu's agitation for Biafrau.d is driven by greed?
I curse the country that made you and I her citizens
We have nothing in common
That country can never prosper
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by Earth2Metahuman: 2:00pm On Apr 16, 2017
DrGoodman:
Yes, a court order to release Nnamdi Kanu was violated.
how?

Did you read the post?
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by YourImaginaryBF: 2:00pm On Apr 16, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

I curse the country that made you and I her citizens
We have nothing in common
That country can never prosper
then get the fvck out already. We don't need flat heads like you in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by ZombieTERROR: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2017
omenkaLives:
Tired of the drama jor.

Have you left Yoruba land for benue
You can't be tired till u make it to benue
As you are trekking for Sai baba grin

1 Like

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by ZombieTERROR: 2:03pm On Apr 16, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
then get the fvck out already. We don't need flat heads like you in Nigeria
Am in the land of my fathers
Come and beat me

1 Like

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by NgeneUkwenu(f): 2:06pm On Apr 16, 2017
omenkaLives:
Tired of the drama jor.

How far? I bin think say, dem don gag you...

2 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by omenkaLives(m): 2:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

Have you left Yoruba land for benue
You can't be tired till u make it to benue
As you are trekking for Sai baba grin
You see.. When you chose to act otherwise and see things differently... cheesy

There are some kids that just won't learn. wink

3 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2017
Anyone who follows the facts about the case cab clearly see that at no point in time was Kanu granted bail by any court, and the government in no way went afoul of any law by holding him. In fact Kanu is to blame for his continued detention by raising always raising frivolous objections during the various stages of his trial. In my opinion he is as guilty as charged and i want him locked up for a very long time so as to send a very strong message to any future would be rabble rousers, that the state will tolerate no such treasonous behaviour in the future

2 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by omenkaLives(m): 2:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:

How far? I bin think say, dem don gag you...
Nah.. Today no Easter. Wanna observe some unilateral ceasefire. wink
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by YourImaginaryBF: 2:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

Am in the land of my fathers
Come and beat me
you're in Nigeria because you cannot do without Nigeria
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by ZombieTERROR: 2:12pm On Apr 16, 2017
omenkaLives:
You see.. When you chose to act otherwise and see things differently... cheesy

There are some kids that just won't learn. wink
Happy Easter bro
Can't wait for the hostilities again wink
Sai baba
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by ZombieTERROR: 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
you're in Nigeria because you cannot do without Nigeria
You dey for Nigeria ... Ok for you
I no drag am with you

I dey my biafraland.... Ok for me
No drag am with me

Arios
Re: FACT CHECK: Is Nigerian Govt Violating Court Orders By Detaining Biafra Leader N by YourImaginaryBF: 2:17pm On Apr 16, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

You dey for Nigeria ... Ok for you
I no drag am with you

I dey my biafraland.... Ok for me
No drag am with me

Arios
you dey Biafra dey use Nigerian naira

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video: Nnamdi Kanu Defies Bail Condition, Tells Crowd Biafra Will Be Achieved / Orji Kalu Made Us Swear Oaths Of Allegiance At Okija Shrine / How Did Babatunde Abracadabra Fashola Dissapear A Bilion Naira Market Contract?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.