Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,767 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

The War On Poor People In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The War On Poor People In Lagos (2048 Views)

Ambode: Why The War Against Lagos Gov Is Not Yet Over / Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World / Nigerian Soldier Celebrates His Birthday At The War Front In Desert (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 10:21am On Apr 19, 2017
There is a war on poor people in Lagos. Not a war on poverty, but a war on people who happen to be in poverty. Last week Otodo Gbame was in the news after being demolished to make way for a private waterfront development. What wasn't in the news was that this was just one of several forced evictions and demolitions that took place in the Island-Lekki axis.

The Lagos upper class are chasing a vision of creating a rich people's waterfront paradise out of Victoria Island, Ikoyi and Lekki. Anyone who is too inconveniently poor to fit into this vision is being remorselessly and brutally evicted using all kinds of tactics including arson and deadly force. Nobody is thinking about where all these poor people are supposed to go, or how the resultant Nigerian Dubai will source for its cleaners, cooks, security guards, office assistants, drivers, maids and nannies.

Is it possible or feasible that everyone in an entire quarter of a city will be rich property owners or upwardly mobile service professionals? Doesn't a capitalist society require a certain number of less privileged people? Why is Island-Lekki Lagos trying to drive out or exterminate everyone who is not at least upper middle class?

The cleaner at the office didn't show up to work yesterday so I asked what happened. Turns out she has been evicted from the shanties behind Lekki Phase 1 for the 3rd time in just one week. First her own structure was demolished, then she moved in to squat at her brother's place, which was also demolished the next day. She then moved to her friend's place and it too was demolished 2 days later.

Now she has relocated to another shanty community further up the road in Ajah. Who knows when the government will come and demolish that too and leave her stranded and without hope. She might eventually have to leave her job because commuting from Ajah to Lekki on her salary everyday is not realistic. When that happens, and we have one more frustrated young unskilled person on the streets, what is going to happen?

I was driving through Gerrard Road this morning on the way to Parkview Estate, and what I saw made me feel scared. Gerrard Road is probably the most expensive neighbourhood on this side of the earth, filled with old money, expatriates, oil workers, and high rise waterfront developments that have names like "The Address". You do not see poverty here - even the air feels different.

Nobody has to tell you, it's unspoken but obvious that this area is only for rich or pretentious people. If you are poor, you are neither seen nor heard. But this morning, I saw a woman lying fast asleep with her bag of belongings on the perfectly manicured lawn in front of one of the buildings with $86,000/year penthouses. It's as if she was saying "You've thrown me out of my home rich man, now I've come to yours. Do your worst."

I have lived through the time of Ibrahim Babangida and Sani Abacha, and in all these 27 years, this is the first time I am seeing the poor openly revolt in Lagos. The poverty of the Island-Lekki shanties which has always remained respectfully out of sight in places like Ikoyi is now popping up boldly and conspicuously.

The first thing that happens before a bloody class revolution is when the poor stop bowing to the rich, and start raising their middle fingers instead. When the poor stop doing as they are told and start showing open class defiance on Victoria Island and Ikoyi, you know that a French-style revolution is coming, and it WILL be nasty. They will not differentiate between who is actually "rich" and who is working hard or faking it. You will all be "rich".

But I know nobody is listening, and that is why I did not take a picture of the lady on Gerrard Road. If I did, they would simply send some uniformed thugs to make her conspicuous poverty disappear violently from Ikoyi - no matter that this would only hasten the sequence of events leading up to a bloody class war. The Nigerian rich do not think long or even medium term.

cc lalasticlala Seun Obinoscopy

4 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 19, 2017
And you think shanties should be the residence of the poor?... Or rather, poor should be left to wallow in shanties. When nuclear and extended families can't afford to fund themselves out of waterfront shanties, don't you think it is time for them to relocate? to maybe back to their respective villages

5 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 11:26am On Apr 19, 2017
^^
This is a trite, tired, played out, stupid and ridiculous canard.

If the elites fronted by LASG want to "help" poor people have better living conditions than the shanties, then they should construct low cost housing like every other sensible country does! It's only in Nigeria that basic accommodation is treated like a privilege and not a basic human right.

The only housing constructed by any public or private developers is always targeted at upper middle class people, with prices starting from N4 million - which cleaner or driver living in a shanty can afford that? Why isn't your government starting from that basic issue before going around displacing people to create waterfront property to put in their glossy YouTube videos about the fake prosperity of Lagos? Why is the government not doing basic things like constructing drainage for Lekki Phase 1 which floods everytime a little rain falls, but supposedly it is chasing some grand megacity vision which can only be achieved by making thousands of struggling people homeless?

Have people committed some kind of crime by not being rich? Will there not always be need for drivers, cooks, cleaners, nannies and security guards? How much do these people get paid? Where in Lekki can they find affordable accommodation that will enable them to keep their jobs and maintain an honest living? Why are you avoiding this elephant in the room by talking about how shanties are bad? Who wants to stay in a shanty? Is it a thing of choice? Will everybody be a subsistence farmer in their village because you and your government don't want to fix the glaring problem of lack of reasonably priced modern accommodation in Lagos?

Go and tell the people you work for that they cannot stop poor people from all over Nigeria coming into Lagos to look for a better life, so instead of trying to bully them away by destroying their illegal settlements, you should instead construct low cost housing, fix the transport infrastructure problem and generally just do your fecking job as a government instead of looking for useless shortcuts.

It's not a crime to be poor. Poverty is not a moral failure. It is a result of circumstances. The government has a responsibility to everybody it collects taxes from, including poor drivers and cleaners living in shanty houses in Lekki Phase 1. Tell your government that its primary responsibility is not to rich property developers and ocean sandfillers. Tell them that the agency cooks and house maids working in Lekki Phase 1 are also paying income tax to the government that is not doing its job.

Tell Ambode to stop reading what he has paid journalists and social media loudmouths to write about his government. Tell him to start doing his goddamn job and stop chasing poor people.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by Lushore1: 12:41pm On Apr 19, 2017
GEJPosterity:
^^
This is a trite, tired, played out, stupid and ridiculous canard.

If the elites fronted by LASG want to "help" poor people have better living conditions than the shanties, then they should construct low cost housing like every other sensible country does! It's only in Nigeria that basic accommodation is treated like a privilege and not a basic human right.

The only housing constructed by any public or private developers is always targeted at upper middle class people, with prices starting from N4 million - which cleaner or driver living in a shanty can afford that? Why isn't your government starting from that basic issue before going around displacing people to create waterfront property to put in their glossy YouTube videos about the fake prosperity of Lagos? Why is the government not doing basic things like constructing drainage for Lekki Phase 1 which floods everytime a little rain falls, but supposedly it is chasing some grand megacity vision which can only be achieved by making thousands of struggling people homeless?

Have people committed some kind of crime by not being rich? Will there not always be need for drivers, cooks, cleaners, nannies and security guards? How much do these people get paid? Where in Lekki can they find affordable accommodation that will enable them to keep their jobs and maintain an honest living? Why are you avoiding this elephant in the room by talking about how shanties are bad? Who wants to stay in a shanty? Is it a thing of choice? Will everybody be a subsistence farmer in their village because you and your government don't want to fix the glaring problem of lack of reasonably priced modern accommodation in Lagos?

Go and tell the people you work for that they cannot stop poor people from all over Nigeria coming into Lagos to look for a better life, so instead of trying to bully them away by destroying their illegal settlements, you should instead construct low cost housing, fix the transport infrastructure problem and generally just do your fecking job as a government instead of looking for useless shortcuts.

It's not a crime to be poor. Poverty is not a moral failure. It is a result of circumstances. The government has a responsibility to everybody it collects taxes from, including poor drivers and cleaners living in shanty houses in Lekki Phase 1. Tell your government that its primary responsibility is not to rich property developers and ocean sandfillers. Tell them that the agency cooks and house maids working in Lekki Phase 1 are also paying income tax to the government that is not doing its job.

Tell Ambode to stop reading what he has paid journalists and social media loudmouths to write about his government. Tell him to start doing his goddamn job and stop chasing poor people.

Do u have idea of how many poor people moving to Lagos everyday? Ambode can't provide low cost housing for these poor people since he doesn't control lagos boder. This issues is more than ambode bro, it's has to be solved systematically. I sympathise with these people but most poor people in lagos can actually go back to their home town and hold their representative responsible.

2 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 1:04pm On Apr 19, 2017
^^
Again, feel free to keep on burying your head in the sand by saying that "people should go back to their villages". As if this worthless platitude will ever change anything. And FYI, most of the people in question are Ogu and Ilaje people who are native to that area - Lagos IS their "village". They are more indigenous than you. If anything, they should be telling YOU to go back to wherever you come from and "hold your representative responsible".

Don't think any of these useless pseudo-ethnicist sentiments will buy you time or solve the problem. The time bomb is still ticking whether or not you want to pretend that your little middle class bourgeoisie lifestyle makes you better than other people. You may not be poor, but make no mistake, you're not rich either. You're just a few unfortunate events from being just like the people you are trying to erase. When the situation reaches boiling point, the rich people you are pretending to be a part of will leave Ikoyi with their private helicopters and leave you to your bloody fate at the hands of frustrated people. Don't think your existence is anything other than temporary and unsustainable.

As long as Nigeria is still one entity, people from all over the country WILL continue to move to Lagos to search for a better life. As long as the Lagos State Government is happy to make use of that population as a tool to harvest more IGR than the rest of Nigeria put together, it must also be willing to provide basic government services for that population. The largest state budget in Nigeria comes with responsibilities. If Ambode and his government are not willing to accept that responsibility and do their job, then they should resign and play golf. Government is serious work, not a place you go to pay journalists and bloggers to praise you for enriching your associates with land deals and doing absolutely nothing.

And by the way, I'm from Lagos so miss me with the emotional micro-ethnic nonsense. I can see through it from 7 miles away.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by Horus(m): 1:12pm On Apr 19, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT8G88Dg4tU

Thousands displaced after Lagos police raze slum
Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by tollyboy5(m): 1:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
GEJPosterity:
^^
Again, feel free to keep on burying your head in the sand by saying that "people should go back to their villages". As if this worthless platitude will ever change anything. And FYI, most of the people in question are Ogu and Ilaje people who are native to that area - Lagos IS their "village". They are more indigenous than you. If anything, they should be telling YOU to go back to wherever you come from and "hold your representative responsible".

Don't think any of these useless pseudo-ethnicist sentiments will buy you time or solve the problem. The time bomb is still ticking whether or not you want to pretend that your little middle class bourgeoisie lifestyle makes you better than other people. You may not be poor, but make no mistake, you're not rich either. You're just a few unfortunate events from being just like the people you are trying to erase. When the situation reaches boiling point, the rich people you are pretending to be a part of will leave Ikoyi with their private helicopters and leave you to your bloody fate at the hands of frustrated people. Don't think your existence is anything other than temporary and unsustainable.

As long as Nigeria is still one entity, people

And by the way, I'm from Lagos so miss me with the emotional micro-ethnic nonsense. I can see through it from 7 miles away.
angry You must be a lier you can't come from Lagos and tell me ilaje on ogu are lagosians we know our selves ogu people are our brothers from badagry so if they go back home they are still within the state but ilaje are not our brothers . I understand you but the situation is beyond ambodes power. though people are trooping to Lagos but don't expect Lagos to take care of every person that comes to live under bridge. its not government priority to create camp for refugees if we had good monitoring system wanderers won't be allowed to enter Lagos state they cause more crime than good

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by 7lives: 1:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
I no sympathise with any poor as far as this Lagos is concerned, na by force to live in Lagos?, some people will born 10 children and move to Lagos to come and constitute themselves into nuisance.
I have never seen hard working folks having more than three children 'cause they know the implications on their purse.
Lazy daft nuisance have no other job than procreation, they refused to get enlightened, and hid themselves under religion, na God they give pikin abi? fine, why not wait on the Lord in their village for God to bring their so called mana?.
Ambode if you are reading this, your responsibility to manage Lagos state and her people, extra Lugard luggages are not your responsibility, so do your work.

4 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2017
You can just see the stupid people one shares a country with writing nonsense on this thread.

Elsewhere in the world, when a large city with substantial economic activity has an influx of people from the rest of the country and beyond, the city government sees that population as a asset to be leveraged. They invest in infrastructure to make sure that even if many people cannot live in the CBD, they can commute regularly in a way that is fast and cheap. They also invest in low cost and subsidised housing in and around the CBD because they know that the people that keep the CBD running are the traffic wardens, cleaners, street sweepers, facility managers, nannies and other low-income people. Without these people, there is no business district and there is no business! Is it everybody that will be an Accountant or a Software Engineer?

That's why just across the river from the City of London, which is the most expensive patch of business land on earth, there is Lewisham, which is a low-income neighbourhood, and the local council deliberately keeps housing in Lewisham subsidised relative to its location so that poor people can still afford to live there and provide the City of London with cheap, low-skill labour.

That is an actual government!

Not this sorry gang of pathetic losers who cannot construct a single rail line between Marina and Okoko after more than 10 years and $1.5bn, and who cannot figure out how to solve a simple problem like creating low income housing specifically for cheap labour that the Island/Lekki axis needs to keep functioning. I think by the time you are done pushing all the poor people out of Lagos, your car will drive itself, or your kids will watch themselves, or your offices will clean themselves, and your buildings will secure themselves. Foolish, visionless people.

People that cannot argue an intellectual line to defend why after nearly 2 decades of their government, there is no large scale fast commuter link between Island and Mainland, and there is no subsidised housing to absorb the resultant social dislocation. Their response to the posers raised is "There are too many people in Lagos. They should leave Lagos and go home! We have no idea how to organise a population to be a wealth-generating asset, so instead we will just complain that Lagos is full! Wah wah!"

This is the grinding face of government incompetence in Lagos.

If your solution to social dislocation caused by gentrification is not to provide a feasible transport or accommodation alternative for displaced people, then you have no business in government.

You should go home to your village and raise cows. Government work requires too much thinking for you.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 2:00pm On Apr 19, 2017
tollyboy5:

angry You must be a lier you can't come from Lagos and tell me ilaje on ogu are lagosians we know our selves ogu people are our brothers from badagry so if they go back home they are still within the state but ilaje are not our brothers . I understand you but the situation is beyond ambodes power. though people are trooping to Lagos but don't expect Lagos to take care of every person that comes to live under bridge. its not government priority to create camp for refugees if we had good monitoring system wanderers won't be allowed to enter Lagos state they cause more crime than good

I'm from Sowe-Badagry, and I have no interest in the micro-ethnic politics Yoruba people play in Lagos because I know what is really behind it, and it has nothing to do with any brotherhood or common heritage.

I view Lagos strictly as an economic asset, and it is being horribly mismanaged by the gang of incompetent chancers you are defending. A large immigrant population is an ASSET, and any government that fails to leverage assets and use them to generate income and wealth is a failure. Apart from the fact that Lagos has always been an immigrant city with its entire economy built on trading, the population of Lagos is a huge taxation asset and an economic bargaining chip that places Lagos ahead of the rest of the country.

The only problem any government in Lagos should have is how to construct more roads, bridges, rail lines, water treatment facilities, sewage treatment facilities and low income housing. The rich will always take care of themselves. There will always be an Orange Island or an Eko Atlantic - that is not the primary function of a serious government. Tiny, closed-off developments for the ultra-rich and bourgeoisie do not help LASG generate more tax revenue or gain more power and influence. Instead of demolishing Otodo Gbame so one rich dude can construct Orange Island, a government with actual vision would have created a settlement somewhere else and linked it by road or rail to the CBD, so that the poor people can have somewhere to go and still keep their employment.

When London constructed the Olympic Stadium in Westfields Park, they didn't just go in and drive people out of what was a poor and disgusting area filled with crime and misery. That's what a typically brainless Nigerian government would do, and people like you would defend them saying "look at the nice Olympic stadium that is there now. It's not by force to live in London." No, the planners created accommodation for these East Londoners and even the olympic village has been turned into subsidised housing for the previous East End residents. That area is now one of the most successful urban regeneration projects in history with a thriving local economy and increased tax receipts to the local council and the exchequer. Instead of sending in bulldozers to clear poor people and create one desolate rich man's toy, they actually incorporated the poor people into the future design of the place and look how successful it's been! Google Westfield Park in 2005 and compare it to 2015. In the space of just 10 years, an area bigger than Ikoyi has been completely turned around.

THAT is how an actual government thinks and behaves.

Not this ill-thought, scattergun, brainless, malu approach that does not create any meaningful development or solve any existing problems. As if the people being displaced will just melt into the air and disappear because you want them to!

4 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by stevecantrell: 2:11pm On Apr 19, 2017
The war is on everyone who is not elite/ruling class ie middle and working class, not jjust poor people.

The sooner Lagosians understand that, the better.

3 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
stevecantrell:
The war is on everyone who is not elite/ruling class ie middle and working class, not jjust poor people.

The sooner Lagosians understand that, the better.

They don't get it!

They think that because they have one 80k/month job on Admiralty Way and they can manage to live in Ajah, that means they are not part of the lower class. They don't understand that once the rich pricks are done driving out stilt and shanty communities to build their Orange Islands and Pink Islands, they will come for them too. Maybe it's when all the jobs are on the Island, but there is no remotely affordable accommodation closer than Abeokuta, that's when these ones will finally understand what is happening here.

This is blatant class warfare.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by 7lives: 2:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
Lagos is not UNDP, she is not AU, UNICEF and what have you, as long as Lagos is committed to her personal development, every other idea is DOA.
Let other states take care of their citizen, let the citizens of other states hold their leaders accountable and stop asking stupid questions in Lagos.
It is warp mentality like this that got so many Nigerians behind bars in foreign countries, people needs to know the limits of their rights.
Only mad people will occupy a space that's not theirs and expect the owner to compensate them before eviction.

2 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 2:38pm On Apr 19, 2017
Mtchewwww, had no idea I was talking to a BMC robot.

Abeg next.

3 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by TheStronghold: 2:45pm On Apr 19, 2017
GEJPosterity:

I view Lagos strictly as an economic asset, and it is being horribly mismanaged by the gang of incompetent chancers you are defending. A large immigrant population is an ASSET, and any government that fails to leverage assets and use them to generate income and wealth is a failure. Apart from the fact that Lagos has always been an immigrant city with its entire economy built on trading, the population of Lagos is a huge taxation asset and an economic bargaining chip that places Lagos ahead of the rest of the country.

I definitely sympathize with those who were living in Otodo Gbame and I do think that the Lagos government should build more low income housing for people who need it because with the rate Lagos is developing, there will be more cases like this. However I disagree with with the notion that Lagos is an immigrant city. It wasn't founded on immigration like the U.S. was, it never implemented a doctrine of immigration, and it this point the only reason why it's an immigrant country is due to the headways Lagos has made in terms of leadership and development. It was abandoned by the Lagos government after the capital was moved over 25 yrs ago and they basically left all of the problems of the city and surrounding areas to the leaders of the state. Just take a look at how the stadium hasn't been touched in decades and has been left to corrode by the federal government.

If the leaders of Lagos government didn't focus and do their jobs, lagos would be a wasteland right now, and everyone would be moving to Abuja. However Lagos remained focused, and still remain the #1 destination in Nigeria because of that.

I say this to point out that the onus is on the federal government, and other states, to develop other areas (especially Abuja!!!) to create alternatives for people to seek greener pastures. Because Lagos has the smallest land mass in the country, and yet has the largest population and keeps increasing every year. This just isn't sustainable, and situations like Otodo Gbame are bound to happen when so many poor people are migrating to such a small place. Nigeria is HUGE. The Lagos govt shouldn't be burdened with carrying the country. This isn't a one state show, everyone else needs to do their part to ease the burden the Lagos govt is feeling.

When London constructed the Olympic Stadium in Westfields Park, they didn't just go in and drive people out of what was a poor and disgusting area filled with crime and misery. That's what a typically brainless Nigerian government would do, and people like you would defend them saying "look at the nice Olympic stadium that is there now. It's not by force to live in London." No, the planners created accommodation for these East Londoners and even the olympic village has been turned into subsidised housing for the previous East End residents. That area is now one of the most successful urban regeneration projects in history with a thriving local economy and increased tax receipts to the local council and the exchequer. Instead of sending in bulldozers to clear poor people and create one desolate rich man's toy, they actually incorporated the poor people into the future design of the place and look how successful it's been! Google Westfield Park in 2005 and compare it to 2015. In the space of just 10 years, an area bigger than Ikoyi has been completely turned around.

THAT is how an actual government thinks and behaves.

Uhh, if you don't think poor people weren't driven out by that development in London, you're fooling yourself. The property prices in that area definitely sky rocketed and only the people who could afford it (i.e rich people) moved in. The thing is, with any type of development, rich people will always drive out the poor, whether it be by the federal govt or not. The only difference is how it looks when it happens. That's just a fact of life. Having lived in America for many years, I've seen how the government has gotten skilled at driving out the poor without laying a finger on anyone. You find one developer to build you a condo with rent in the 6 figure range, and within 2 years, the surrounding 5 square city blocks will drive out the poor themselves by raising prices. There are ways to look out for the poor, but with the combination of the rate of poor people moving to Lagos, the extremely small size of Lagos, and the fact that it is still a poor city despite what Nigerians think, these situations are just bound to happen.

2 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by TheStronghold: 2:46pm On Apr 19, 2017
GEJPosterity:

They don't get it!

They think that because they have one 80k/month job on Admiralty Way and they can manage to live in Ajah, that means they are not part of the lower class. They don't understand that once the rich pricks are done driving out stilt and shanty communities to build their Orange Islands and Pink Islands, they will come for them too. Maybe it's when all the jobs are on the Island, but there is no remotely affordable accommodation closer than Abeokuta, that's when these ones will finally understand what is happening here.

This is blatant class warfare.

No we see exactly what's happening, we just disagree with your sentiment. You're not smarter than anyone here, we just don't agree with you.

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 3:12pm On Apr 19, 2017
TheStronghold:

I definitely sympathize with those who were living in Otodo Gbame and I do think that the Lagos government should build more low income housing for people who need it because with the rate Lagos is developing, there will be more cases like this. However I disagree with with the notion that Lagos is an immigrant city. It wasn't founded on immigration like the U.S. was, it never implemented a doctrine of immigration, and it this point the only reason why it's an immigrant country is due to the headways Lagos has made in terms of leadership and development. It was abandoned by the Lagos government after the capital was moved over 25 yrs ago and they basically left all of the problems of the city and surrounding areas to the leaders of the state. Just take a look at how the stadium hasn't been touched in decades and has been left to corrode by the federal government.

If the leaders of Lagos government didn't focus and do their jobs, lagos would be a wasteland right now, and everyone would be moving to Abuja. However Lagos remained focused, and still remain the #1 destination in Nigeria because of that.

I say this to point out that the onus is on the federal government, and other states, to develop other areas (especially Abuja!!!) to create alternatives for people to seek greener pastures. Because Lagos has the smallest land mass in the country, and yet has the largest population and keeps increasing every year. This just isn't sustainable, and situations like Otodo Gbame are bound to happen when so many poor people are migrating to such a small place. Nigeria is HUGE. The Lagos govt shouldn't be burdened with carrying the country. This isn't a one state show, everyone else needs to do their part to ease the burden the Lagos govt is feeling.

You're playing semantics here. Lagos has always been an immigrant city, right from the slave trade era. In fact its present name comes from a Portuguese word introduced by traders. A substantial inflow (and outflow) of people has always been central to the economic model of Lagos. Whether this was actually officially codified into an immigrant doctrine is completely beside the point. My point was that Lagos has never been an inward looking, nativist place - it has always welcomed newcomers and their economic additions. This new found Yoruba nativist narrative about how other people should "go back home" is bullshit sponsored by people with a political agenda and a government that clearly appears overwhelmed by the size of its task at hand.

And as for Lagos remaining top dog in Nigeria because its leaders "did their job", I'm sure even you didn't take yourself serious when you wrote that. Lagos is Nigeria's only functioning port city in an import dependent country. For a while, it also had Nigeria's only functioning international airport. Is there a port in Abuja? Is Abuja's inaccessible inland location and extreme heat conducive to business as against Lagos, which is right on the coast and already hosted most of Nigeria's economic activity? In fact Lagos has been on autopilot more or less. If its leaders were actually any good, half of the city wouldn't disappear underwater everytime a little rain falls, and I wouldn't have had to change my shock absorbers twice in 3 years.

Uhh, if you don't think poor people weren't driven out by that development in London, you're fooling yourself. The property prices in that area definitely sky rocketed and only the people who could afford it (i.e rich people) moved in. The thing is, with any type of development, rich people will always drive out the poor, whether it be by the federal govt or not. The only difference is how it looks when it happens. That's just a fact of life. Having lived in America for many years, I've seen how the government has gotten skilled at driving out the poor without laying a finger on anyone. You find one developer to build you a condo with rent in the 6 figure range, and within 2 years, the surrounding 5 square city blocks will drive out the poor themselves by raising prices. There are ways to look out for the poor, but with the combination of the rate of poor people moving to Lagos, the extremely small size of Lagos, and the fact that it is still a poor city despite what Nigerians think, these situations are just bound to happen.
I'll give you that, but certain guarantees were given at the time of handover that there would be a certain proportion of subsidised accommodation made available to low income families. I volunteered at the Olympics and I saw a few examples of such apartments myself. Yes, much or most of the place may have been gentrified now, agreed, but the point is that the government did not roll in with armed thugs and bulldozers in 3rd world style to kill, injure and intimidate people. Compensation was also paid to prior residents, so if they wished they could even move out of London altogether and start afresh somewhere else. None of these courtesies were given to the people being made homeless over the past week.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by GEJPosterity: 3:15pm On Apr 19, 2017
TheStronghold:

No we see exactly what's happening, we just disagree with your sentiment. You're not smarter than anyone here, we just don't agree with you.
I never said I was smarter than anyone. I simply pointed out a demographic time bomb that is ticking, and stated that some of us are so desperate to pretend that we are doing better than we actually are, that we would gladly ignore what is becoming a matter of personal peril. Poverty is so stigmatised in Nigeria that even poor people who are better off than the poor people at Otodo Gbame are deriving some sort of vicarious pleasure from seeing other people get victimised. It makes them feel that they are better than they actually are.

3 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by AnambraDota: 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2017
I saw where some fat dirty half unclad yolobawomen were floating on the lagoon with rickety boats and few weeks old dark as charcoal sucklings while their lazy husbands gamble away their precious times in betting shops and baba ijebu kiosks sipping monkeytail and reading old newspaper after guzzling some bowls of amala, ewedu garnished with kpomo sitting on old bench
Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by TheStronghold: 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
GEJPosterity:

You're playing semantics here. Lagos has always been an immigrant city, right from the slave trade era. In fact its present name comes from a Portuguese word introduced by traders. A substantial inflow (and outflow) of people has always been central to the economic model of Lagos. Whether this was actually officially codified into an immigrant doctrine is completely beside the point. My point was that Lagos has never been an inward looking, nativist place - it has always welcomed newcomers and their economic additions. This new found Yoruba nativist narrative about how other people should "go back home" is bullshit sponsored by people with a political agenda and a government that clearly appears overwhelmed by the size of its task at hand.

And as for Lagos remaining top dog in Nigeria because its leaders "did their job", I'm sure even you didn't take yourself serious when you wrote that. Lagos is Nigeria's only functioning port city in an import dependent country. For a while, it also had Nigeria's only functioning international airport. Is there a port in Abuja? Is Abuja's inaccessible inland location and extreme heat conducive to business as against Lagos, which is right on the coast and already hosted most of Nigeria's economic activity? In fact Lagos has been on autopilot more or less. If its leaders were actually any good, half of the city wouldn't disappear underwater everytime a little rain falls, and I wouldn't have had to change my shock absorbers twice in 3 years.

I'll give you that, but certain guarantees were given at the time of handover that there would be a certain proportion of subsidised accommodation made available to low income families. I volunteered at the Olympics and I saw a few examples of such apartments myself. Yes, much or most of the place may have been gentrified now, agreed, but the point is that the government did not roll in with armed thugs and bulldozers in 3rd world style to kill, injure and intimidate people. Compensation was also paid to prior residents, so if they wished they could even move out of London altogether and start afresh somewhere else. None of these courtesies were given to the people being made homeless over the past week.

Compensations were given because they have a a rental contract or a deed. The same can't be said with those in Otodo Gbame, let's not forget that. A poor city like Lagos can't give money to people for free just because they occupy an area they do not own. So the London comparison is disengenuous.

And on the Lagos history and govt front, I just disagree wholeheartedly, but I have no desire to debate about it. I don't see Lagos as an immigrant destination for foreigners and I don't think it should be. Japan isn't an immigrant country and they're remaining extremely successful to their indegines. So much so they don't have ENOUGH workers because everyone already has a job, imagine that. I don't have any problems with Nigerians immigrating there, but I don't think that's sustainable and healthy for the country moving forward. Lagos is a tiny state, if this level of migration continues Lagos could collapse and then what does that do for Nigeria as a whole? And problems much more dire than loss of housing could arise. Great conversation, but I just disagree with you on many fronts. Hopefully the Lagos govt does invest more in low income housing though. That I agree with.

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by TheStronghold: 3:25pm On Apr 19, 2017
GEJPosterity:

I never said I was smarter than anyone. I simply pointed out a demographic time bomb that is ticking, and stated that some of us are so desperate to pretend that we are doing better than we actually are, that we would gladly ignore what is becoming a matter of personal peril. Poverty is so stigmatised in Nigeria that even poor people who are better off than the poor people at Otodo Gbame are deriving some sort of vicarious pleasure from seeing other people get victimised. It makes them feel that they are better than they actually are.
the only reason I said that is because you called people stupid multiple times for disagreeing with you.

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by SIRmanjar(m): 3:39pm On Apr 19, 2017
I blame northerners for all this rubbish..Hadid bin other regions enjoy the advantages lagos enjoy all dis rubbish won't happen..

They shuldnt worry vey soon lagosians and dere landlords will come for them.They can see what they are writing here already,some fools are saying if u can't afford lagos then relocate to ur state..we all know dat at least 85percent of northerners in lagos don't build houses and some live in shanties very soon they will be victims and they won't have de numbers to protect there interest in lagos.
Federal govt shuld look into dis matta sharply.
Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by abouzaid: 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2017
AnambraDota:
I saw where some fat dirty half unclad yolobawomen were floating on the lagoon with rickety boats and few weeks old dark as charcoal sucklings while their lazy husbands gamble away their precious times in betting shops and baba ijebu kiosks sipping monkeytail and reading old newspaper after guzzling some bowls of amala, ewedu garnished with kpomo sitting on old bench
haba,that was unnecessary na.

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by VirginFinder: 4:44pm On Apr 19, 2017
My Take:

Otodo Gbame ex-residents are not Nigerians.
GEJposterity is pained because they are Egun by tribe. Same as he.

Lagos is overpopulated will always suffer infrastructure deficit if the population is not managed.

No number of low cost housing estates will solve the housing problem in Lagos.

By nature, Nigerians are greedy. All low cost housing schemes will end up in the hands of the rich, politicians and their cronies.

Anyone who cant cope with Lagos has 2 options:
1. Go back to their hometowns
2. Relocate to another state close to Lagos like Ogun.

Many Lagosians now live in Ogun state.

When the Lagos-Ibadan rail is completed all the 'poor' people GEJposterity is fighting for will conveniently live in neighbouring states and work in Lagos.

Lobatan!

2 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by VirginFinder: 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2017
AnambraDota:
I saw iya mosurat floating ontop the lagoon carrying Kazzem and Bosun while baba ipaye her husband gamble his life out at Mabinu ori baba ijebu joint grin grin grin

Obo!

Go and sit down somewhere.

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by FlyoruB: 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2017
AnambraDota:

This egbo-smoking and drug-trafficking anambra ediot sef is talking. You better go and check yourself into a rehab facility where you truly belong, since all that egbo you smoke has obviously damaged your reasoning faculty. See your life? You can't even string together a coherent sentence. Smh.

3 Likes

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by tollyboy5(m): 5:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
VirginFinder:
My Take:

Otodo Gbame ex-residents are not Nigerians.
GEJposterity is pained because they are Egun by tribe. Same as he.

Lagos is overpopulated will always suffer infrastructure deficit if the population is not managed.

No number of low cost housing estates will solve the housing problem in Lagos.

By nature, Nigerians are greedy. All low cost housing schemes will end up in the hands of the rich, politicians and their cronies.

Anyone who cant cope with Lagos has 2 options:
1. Go back to their hometowns
2. Relocate to another state close to Lagos like Ogun.

Many Lagosians now live in Ogun state.

When the Lagos-Ibadan rail is completed all the 'poor' people GEJposterity is fighting for will conveniently live in neighbouring states and work in Lagos.

Lobatan!
GEJposterity is a badagrian not foreigner as long as I disagree with him I'll still say Lagos lacks the ability to create affordable houses for poor people most of all this development aka eko atlantic is meant for only rich people, I'm not talking about immigrant here I'm talking about indigenes that leave in slum whose land and houses are always been destroyed to accommodate rich people yet when employing people natives are not considered they would sacrifices their father land for government and still need connection to get job in their land. lagosians are suffering also very epe indigenes would have to sell their property to the and live their home town for ogunstate lagos policy has never favoured 90% indigenes but as for immigrating poor masses I don't think Lagos could do much because its still very poor compare to world class cities what Lagos is obsessed with is becoming world class, but neglecting your indigene would cause future trouble just imagine crude oil in badagry and their people were chased out of lekki. We should be careful because badagrians as been neglected and they might resort to militancy undecided

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by VirginFinder: 5:55pm On Apr 19, 2017
tollyboy5:

GEJposterity is a badagrian not foreigner as long as I disagree with him I'll still say Lagos lacks the ability to create affordable houses for poor people most of all this development aka eko atlantic is meant for only rich people, I'm not talking about immigrant here I'm talking about indigenes that leave in slum whose land and houses are always been destroyed to accommodate rich people yet when employing people natives are not considered they would sacrifices their father land for government and still need connection to get job in their land. lagosians are suffering also very epe indigenes would have to sell their property to the and live their home town for ogunstate lagos policy has never favoured 90% indigenes but as for immigrating poor masses I don't think Lagos could do much because its still very poor compare to world class cities what Lagos is obsessed with is becoming world class, but neglecting your indigene would cause future trouble just imagine crude oil in badagry and their people were chased out of lekki. We should be careful because badagrians as been neglected and they might resort to militancy undecided

Otodo Gbame ex-residents are not Nigerians!

They are from Benin republic.

The land belongs to the Onirus and they have a valid court judgement to take possession of the area.

Sir Micheal Otedola is from Epe

BRF is from Lagos Island

How have Lagos indigenes been unfairly treated?

1 Like

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by tollyboy5(m): 6:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
VirginFinder:

The land belongs to the Onirus and they have a valid court judgement to take possession of the area.

BRF is from Lagos Island

Re: The War On Poor People In Lagos by tollyboy5(m): 6:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
VirginFinder:

BRF is from Lagos Island

don't compare minority successful men to majority poor men and who told you that fat lie that brf was from Lagos state agbaje was from the real son of the soil his mother was an indigene tinubu was from osun ambode step mother is from Lagos both parent are from ondo Lagos deputy governor sosan was an indigene of an awori island in badagry division that's why I feel she's the backbone of the development in our are qmbode is more like omo EPE compare to ondo that's why epe would experience development just the way fashola was more of Eko than osun. But can this people feel the agony of the local people whose land are been destroyed I still prefer indigenous Governor in stead of Yoruba Govnor. though otodo gbame case is different but I notice Lagos is planning a new state for wealthy people when 70℅ of its indegenes are omo onile agbero poor
,undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: PHOTOS: Which State Capital Is This? / Those Agitating For Biafra Have Never Seen War: Youthsforbiafra Replies S. Sani / Update On Maina Saga; Maina Escapes To Niamey In Niger Republic :sahara Reporter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.