Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,415 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy (23022 Views)

Nigerian Traders In Ghana: We Paid $1m Levy Yet Our Shops Were Shut / Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Expected Presence At FEC / LAGOS To Introduce Public Utility Levy (PUL) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by texazzpete(m): 8:03am On Apr 20, 2017
Emeritusseun:

point of correction, nothing like multiple taxes or separate taxes on waste....the Lawma bill wud be stopped and replaced by d PUL.
The PUL wud also be used to provide water and in future, Energy in Lagos! Please take some time to read more on the PAMAU, and PUL.
The Lawma isnt efficient and d activities of the PSP do not meet up wit international best practices. All these need tp be ovehaul, wch gave birth to PUL!

You mean like how the tolls from inter-state tollgates were meant to build and revamp roads?
Or how our tax money was supposed to provide the same amenities that are in dire state now?

I live in a self-sufficient Estate. Lagos State Govt doesn't provide sewage and water services to me. Why should i not be exempt from yet another levy?
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by Emeritusseun(m): 8:47am On Apr 20, 2017
texazzpete:

You mean like how the tolls from inter-state tollgates were meant to build and revamp roads?
Or how our tax money was supposed to provide the same amenities that are in dire state now?

I live in a self-sufficient Estate. Lagos State Govt doesn't provide sewage and water services to me. Why should i not be exempt from yet another levy?

well articulated...but i beliv u will agree wit me dat potable water is a key challenge in Lagos. Despite lag is sorrounded wit water, dz water is polluted and salty!...so lag needs a state of d art technology to treat its water...the new environmntal law has already taken care of that!...if u study the law , and environmntal trust fund very well, u will agree wit me dat it is diffeent from other.
Lagos is fifth in Africa, we need to move forward. Lag is stil fighting with FG for d approval of self generation of Electricity.
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 20, 2017
A lot of people would NOT pay this levy.
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by Emeritusseun(m): 9:06am On Apr 20, 2017
NubiLove:
A lot of people would NOT pay this levy.

lol....on d contrary.,,everybody will pay, so far u live in a residential building in Lagos. It has been passed as a Law, and any defaulter wud be prosecuted accordingly!....very soon, all buildings in lagos wud be tagged, especially residential building, then the owner of the building pays dz levy yearly,,,,wch means d occupants of the building pay based on wat is charged!...but trust me,the levy wud be affordable, and d mode of payment will be hitchfree
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by Origin(f): 9:31am On Apr 20, 2017
Hmmmmm. It's meant to take care of waste disposal but from using mallams (cheapest) to Lawma ( more expensive, not properly monitored) to this.

While remembering that Lagos residents provide their own security, water, their own community development ( street lights , gates, sometimes road patching), and 50% electricity. So make una no kill the people.

Inner roads in Lagos are still an eyesore. Tenement rate, land use charge, radio tv license, trading permit, advert permits, vehicle license, driver's license etc

My point is make una think am well before Una set the rate for this fund.
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by Gerrard59(m): 10:13am On Apr 20, 2017
hedonistic:

There are numerous vanity hubs in Lagos - residential, recreational, and otherwise, patronised by money drunk idiots who made easy money and are eager to lavish it foolishly. How about thinking up and implementing some kind of vanity tax? This would yield hundreds of billions annually. Channel your revenue generation efforts towards these areas. Over-tax the so-called 'exclusive' residential enclaves (Osborne Road and its ilk), boat clubs, so-called country clubs and elite clubs (including Ikoyi Club, Island Club, Yoruba Tennis Club, Lagos Polo Club, etc), Over-tax the vanity waste centres like Quilox, 57, Cova, et al et al. They are too numerous to mention. Leave ordinary people alone. If you must raise revenue from millions of heads (to leverage on the population), then the cost per individual must be so negligible as to be barely noticeable.

Sir, you don't tax the rich to grow the society. They are the investors in the state, a suitable environment should be created to accommodate rich people as without them, most enterprises wouldn't exist. The ordinary wo(man) on the streets cannot provide the investment Lagos needs - for the economy. Over tax them and they will run away with their money. Why should there be a vanity tax? When has it become a crime to indulge in pleasure? Ironical considering your moniker.

Lagos should copy tax-havens like Singapore and Hong Kong, businesses should be taxed lowly.
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by signz: 10:32am On Apr 20, 2017
mmsen:

It's just like the borehole requirements that were laid out. Lagos needs to protect the water table, you can't have everyone drilling boreholes as and when they please without expecting environmental destruction but no one wants to think of that instead they want to cry about the process being formalized.

They want development without change.

How many people in Lagos have seen Water pipeline?

Population outgrew the water and power utilities in Lagos (Just like the whole of Nigeria).

I maybe wrong but 1st instituting Borehole tax before providing the water infrastrutures is akin to placing the cart before the horse (again thats how all our poliical elites think, its not limited to Lagos sad)
Re: What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy by mmsen: 10:43am On Apr 20, 2017
signz:

How many people in Lagos have seen Water pipeline?

Population outgrew the water and power utilities in Lagos (Just like the whole of Nigeria).

I maybe wrong but 1st instituting Borehole tax before providing the water infrastrutures is akin to placing the cart before the horse (again thats how all our poliical elites think, its not limited to Lagos sad)

No, it's about protecting the environment but there's a real need to stop people from setting up camp in places that cannot accommodate them.

Some people feel that they have an inalienable right to settle whether their foot lands, even if that means squatting on land that they do not own and extracting water and other resources that they are not entitled to. That manner of thinking has to stop.

Resources are finite, including the water table. Something had to be done to stop the haphazard manner in which people sink boreholes.

You cannot keep pumping ground water from several different areas in a small space and not expect environmental problems. It will have detrimental effects on a city that is already hovering just above sea level as well have adverse effects on the quality of the water that we all need should one of the many boreholes become polluted.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Ambode Mourn Deji Tinubu / Lagos APC Campaign Rally: 18 Roads Will Be Restricted For Movement On Saturday / Petrol May Cost More In South-east - IPMAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.