Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? (23722 Views)

Archbishop Ede: I Did Not Announce Lift On Ban Of Religious Activities In Enugu / How Did The Hebrew Women Deliver? / Should The Hebrew Midwives Be Commended For Lying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 9:32am On Jun 29, 2018
OneJ:
Oga, U are simply looking for excuses where none exists. Before Abraham existed ,Jesus has been. It's not rocket science.
I know why ee dey pain U well well. Because. "I am" na your slogan to defend falsehood . Many Bible translations (including NWT) were correct to use other words synonymous with the Greek "ego eimi".

Maybe U go hire a competent English Teacher make them help U upgrade your understanding (Oga,U need am) . If U pretend or deceive yourself that U don't understand synonyms, that's your cup of tea.
U remind me of a meeting held recently where the minutes was read out. The Secretary wrote "Mr Bee moved the motion for adjournment with the assent of Mrs Obi" . But ,a member at the meeting vehemently opposed what the Secretary wrote. He demanded that the minutes be edited because he claimed that the Secretary wrote what is not correct. He wanted it amended to " ... Mr Bee moved the motion for adjournment & Mrs Obi seconded the motion.." Even though other members said the Secretary wrote it well, the man's ego won't allow him to concur.

Nope, 'why ee dey pain me well well' is because in order to push your agenda you have twisted the words of Jesus. Jesus said 'I Am', he didn't say 'I have been'.

'I have been' is NOT and can never be a synonym for I am.

I have been is the Past participle

I AM is the present.

In any language the use of tenses are important and crucial for understanding meaning.

Furthermore, anybody reading the gospel of John will realise that of all the gospels John is unique for pushing the divinity of Jesus. He does it at the beginning of the book and all the way through, consistently.

If anything at all, most christian bibles have not conveyed the extent to which the gospel of John intended to identify Jesus with 'I Am'.

For example, most bibles mistranslate John 18:6.

The write 'I Am He' when in fact all Jesus said was 'I Am' and that was enough to make the disciples fall on their ass.

King James Bible
As soon then as he had said unto them, I am (he), they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Jesus never said 'I am He". The King James got it wrong. Jesus asked them who they were looking for and they answered 'Jesus of Nazareth'. And then Jesus responded: Ego Eimi.

New Heart English Bible got it right:

New Heart English Bible
When therefore he said to them, "I AM," they went backward, and fell to the ground.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Hairyrapunzel: 12:47pm On Jun 29, 2018
OneJ:

SERIAL LIAR & apostate, stay your lane. Gbawa oso sie eba puo !!!!!!!!!

Loool. E pain am. You guys can criticize other translations but when nwt is called out for same dubious insertions you become angry. Kpele and take heart your nwt is full of dubious insertion

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:01pm On Jun 29, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

Loool. E pain am. You guys can criticize other translations but when nwt is called out for same dubious insertions you become angry. Kpele and take heart your nwt is full of dubious insertion

Spot on!
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 2:52pm On Jun 29, 2018
PastorAIO:

Nope, 'why ee dey pain me well well' is because in order to push your agenda you have twisted the words of Jesus. Jesus said 'I Am', he didn't say 'I have been'.

I AM is the present.

In any language the use of tenses are important and crucial for understanding meaning.

Furthermore, anybody reading the gospel of John will realise that of all the gospels John is unique for pushing the divinity of Jesus. He does it at the beginning of the book and all the way through, consistently.

If anything at all, most christian bibles have not conveyed the extent to which the gospel of John intended to identify Jesus with 'I Am'.

The write 'I Am He' when in fact all Jesus said was 'I Am' and that was enough to make the disciples fall on their ass.

King James Bible
As soon then as he had said unto them, I am (he), they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Jesus never said 'I am He". The King James got it wrong. Jesus asked them who they were looking for and they answered 'Jesus of Nazareth'. And then Jesus responded: Ego Eimi.

New Heart English Bible
When therefore he said to them, "I AM," they went backward, and fell to the ground.

[b]
PastorAIO:

I AM is the present.

King James Bible

New Heart English Bible

[/b]
PastorAIO:

I AM is the present.

King James Bible

New Heart English Bible

In your own words ," "I am " is the present. " Jesus said: "Before Abraham was,I am". In his statement,the subject is "Before Abraham.." (this is what dictates the flow & direction of the meaning we attach to Jesus statement). Indeed, it is very dubious of U to hang on to. "I am" .. to promote a fallacy that Christ himself & his apostles neither taught nor believed in (Matt16:13-17. John20:30,31). If we are to go along with your sophistry, "And he answered, I am". For that same reason too, Asahel is "I am". ( 2Sam2: 20). Ego eimi means "I exist" ,"I am", ( I dey exist , I done dey) that is the actual meaning of what Jesus said. In John chapter 8:12-58 , Jesus was talking about his proof for being the son of God & the source of his message. Naim una dey conjure slogan to defend falsehood. "Before Abraham dem born am, I done dey" . That's not rocket science.
In Exodus 3:14, the Hebrew phrase there is not "I am that I am". No follower of Christ or the the Jews ever said "I am that I am". Rather, the correct translation is: " I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE".
Na the fake one naim una take to dey conjure slogan for falsehood.
(If U know, U know).

2 Likes

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 3:00pm On Jun 29, 2018
OneJ:

In your own words ," "I am " is the present.

It's not my own words, it's the english language. I didn't invent the english language. I met it here on this planet when I was born and studied it in school.

Obviously in your own school 'I am' was not the present participle. Perhaps you ought to take your own advise:

OneJ:

Maybe U go hire a competent English Teacher make them help U upgrade your understanding (Oga,U need am) . If U pretend or deceive yourself that U don't understand synonyms, that's your cup of tea.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 3:13pm On Jun 29, 2018
OneJ:
[b][/b]Indeed, it is very dubious of U to hang on to. "I am" .. to promote a fallacy that Christ himself & his apostles neither taught nor believed in (Matt16:13-17. John20:30,31). If we are to go along with your sophistry, "And he answered, I am". For that same reason too, Asahel is "I am". ( 2Sam2: 20). Ego eimi means "I exist" ,"I am", ( I dey exist , I done dey) that is the actual meaning of what Jesus said. In John chapter 8:12-58 , Jesus was talking about his proof for being the son of God & the source of his message. Naim una dey conjure slogan to defend falsehood. "Before Abraham dem born am, I done dey" . That's not rocket science.

Am I Pastor AIO?

I am.

That is normal english. If you ask Asahel, 'Are you Asahel', and he answers 'I am' that is normal grammatically correct use of the language.

Then there is a theologically significant use of I AM that is used to make reference to Jehovah. He declared his name to be 'I Am'. 'Tell them that I Am sent you' he said to Moses.

He didn't say tell them that 'I have been' sent you.

To twist the language and substitute a false interpretation of a clear statement is just nefarious.
It is clear from the way that it is grammatically incongruous that the reference is to the 'I Am' at the burning bush.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 3:59pm On Jun 29, 2018
Oga,your sophistry is built on weak foundation. Hebrew language has no present tense "I am" eee no dey their language. Let's call a spade a spade . "Before Abraham was, I have been"

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Hairyrapunzel: 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2018
OneJ:
Oga,your sophistry is built on weak foundation. Hebrew language has no present tense "I am" eee no dey their language. Let's call a spade a spade . "Before Abraham was, I have been"
He has been where?

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 5:52pm On Jun 29, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

He has been where?

Don't mind the mumu jor! So if Hebrew doesn't have present tense therefore Greek must not have present tense.

Meanwhile he has not answered the question you asked him about all the Jehovah that they inserted into the New Testament. And he will be talking about sophistry. Obviously referring to himself.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 6:13pm On Jun 29, 2018
OneJ:

But the book of John was written in Greek and greek has present tense. Ego Eimi is present tense.

And as it happens, it is Ego Eimi that we are talking about not any hebrew word.

Out of interest then, what point were you trying to make when you quoted 2Sam2:20 about Asahel's statement?

OneJ:
[b][/b] For that same reason too, Asahel is "I am". ( 2Sam2: 20).
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 11:06pm On Jun 29, 2018
PastorAIO:

But the book of John was written in Greek and greek has present tense. Ego Eimi is present tense.

And as it happens, it is Ego Eimi that we are talking about not any hebrew word.

Out of interest then, what point were you trying to make when you quoted 2Sam2:20 about Asahel's statement?

Oga Pastor, In your own words, "it is grammatically incongruous that the reference is to the 'I am' at the burning bush "
.Oga, Pastor, U are so confused & so dishonest that U can't help it but contradict yourself. .Again, In your own words " there is the theologically significant use of "I am" that is used to make reference to Jehovah.... He declared his name to be "I am". He didn't say tell them that " I have been" sent you". After your initial denial, U mischievously linked together "I am" in Hebrew to "I am" in Greek. U lied sotayy U come get confusion transmission.
Hebrew language has no present tense. Therefore "I am" , is not a Hebrew word & can never have the same meaning with Greek Ego eimi.. Therefore ,your claim about John 8:58 is built on quicksand,very weak foundation. Besides, John 8:12-58, Jesus never said he is God. Rather, he said he spoke the message that God sent him & also gave proof that he is the son of God.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 12:03am On Jun 30, 2018
In addition, followers of Christ & even the Jews themselves never said " I am that I am".That's not Hebrew language.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 12:05am On Jun 30, 2018
In addition, followers of Christ & even the Jews themselves never said " I am that I am". It's not Hebrew language.
The actual,authentic Hebrew phrase they say (even till today) is "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh" translated to English thus :" I shall become (prove to be) what I shall become (prove to be).
Na fake slogan "I am" wey no dey Hebrew language naim una take dey defend fallacy.
In conclusion, your Trinity is a man made fallacy. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 12:22am On Jun 30, 2018
OneJ:

Oga Pastor, In your own words, "it is grammatically incongruous that the reference is to the 'I am' at the burning bush "
.Oga, Pastor, U are so confused & so dishonest that U can't help it but contradict yourself. .Again, In your own words " there is the theologically significant use of "I am" that is used to make reference to Jehovah.... He declared his name to be "I am". He didn't say tell them that " I have been" sent you". After your initial denial, U mischievously linked together "I am" in Hebrew to "I am" in Greek. U lied sotayy U come get confusion transmission.
Hebrew language has no present tense. Therefore "I am" , is not a Hebrew word & can never have the same meaning with Greek Ego eimi.. Therefore ,your claim about John 8:58 is built on quicksand,very weak foundation. Besides, John 8:12-58, Jesus never said he is God. Rather, he said he spoke the message that God sent him & also gave proof that he is the son of God.

Let me clear it up for other readers. I know that this OneJ guy is a lost cause given over to deceit and won't listen to this history.

The early Christians and most Jews around the time of Jesus did not read the bible in Hebrew and hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years.
You see, around the 3th century BCE the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek and this translation was called the Septuagint. Google Septuagint.

The early christians wrote the new testament in Greek and when they made reference to the Old testament they clearly made reference to the greek version of the old testament, the Septuagint.

So in order to know how the early christians understood Exodus 3:14 we have to look at the Septuagint version which is the version that they read and not the Hebrew version. So while the Hebrew language may not have obvious ways of expressing the present tense the Greek of the septuagint did so very clearly.

How does the Septuagint translate Ehyer Asher Ehyer? They translate it as: Ego Eimi ho on.

Yes that's right, the Earliest christians and possibly even Jesus himself read the septuagint and read Exodus 3:14 as Ego Eimi which is the Present Tense in Greek for 'To Be'. In other words: I Am

It doesn't matter whether this is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity. The important thing is that that is what the Christians read and accepted. And that is what they built their theology on.

Many Jews to this day still argue that Christianity is based on a mistranslation of the Hebrew bible. Another passage they like to critize is in Isaiah. Isaiah 7:14. .... And a Virgin shall conceive.

The actual Hebrew word that is used there is Almah. "An Almah shall conceive".

In actual fact 'Almah' is simply Hebrew for a Young woman. The real hebrew word for Virgin is Betulah.

However the Septuagint translated Almah into Greek as Virgin and that is where the christian doctrine of the virgin birth originated from because the Christian all read the Septuagint. Throughout the New Testament when they talk of the scriptures it is the Septuagint that they quote from consistently.

So the Conclusion:

All mister OneJ 's barking about the original hebrew is just a display of his lack of knowledge of Christianity, especially early christianity.

Early Christianity is based on the Septuagint which is a Greek manuscript and in the Septuagint Exodus 3:14 is translated as Ego Eimi Ho On. Which is totally present tense.

Mister OneJ would you like to try another move? I'm quite enjoying rebuffing your desperate attempts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2018
PastorAIO:

Let me clear it up for other readers. I know that this OneJ guy is a lost cause given over to deceit and won't listen to this history.

The early Christians and most Jews around the time of Jesus did not read the bible in Hebrew and hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years.
You see, around the 3th century BCE the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek and this translation was called the Septuagint. Google Septuagint.

The early christians wrote the new testament in Greek and when they made reference to the Old testament they clearly made reference to the greek version of the old testament, the Septuagint.

So in order to know how the early christians understood Exodus 3:14 we have to look at the Septuagint version which is the version that they read and not the Hebrew version. So while the Hebrew language may not have obvious ways of expressing the present tense the Greek of the septuagint did so very clearly.

How does the Septuagint translate Ehyer Asher Ehyer? They translate it as: Ego Eimi ho on.

Yes that's right, the Earliest christians and possibly even Jesus himself read the septuagint and read Exodus 3:14 as Ego Eimi which is the Present Tense in Greek for 'To Be'. In other words: I Am

It doesn't matter whether this is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity. The important thing is that that is what the Christians read and accepted. And that is what they built their theology on.

Many Jews to this day still argue that Christianity is based on a mistranslation of the Hebrew bible. Another passage they like to critize is in Isaiah. Isaiah 7:14. .... And a Virgin shall conceive.

The actual Hebrew word that is used there is Almah. "An Almah shall conceive".

In actual fact 'Almah' is simply Hebrew for a Young woman. The real hebrew word for Virgin is Betulah.

However the Septuagint translated Almah into Greek as Virgin and that is where the christian doctrine of the virgin birth originated from because the Christian all read the Septuagint. Throughout the New Testament when they talk of the scriptures it is the Septuagint that they quote from consistently.

So the Conclusion:

All mister OneJ 's barking about the original hebrew is just a display of his lack of knowledge of Christianity, especially early christianity.

Early Christianity is based on the Septuagint which is a Greek manuscript and in the Septuagint Exodus 3:14 is translated as Ego Eimi Ho On. Which is totally present tense.

Mister OneJ would you like to try another move? I'm quite enjoying rebuffing your desperate attempts.

In your own words, "the early Christians & most Jews around the time of Christ did not read the Bible in Hebrew & hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years"
If we are to believe the trash U typed above, the Jews them done forget Hebrew & bury their language finish sotay them no dey speak am & even read Hebrew Torah scroll for their synagogues again
(If na only Septuagint dey at that time, So, U mean say them troway all the Hebrew scrolls wey them take write the Septuagint too !!!! Hahahahaaaa. )
Also, since them no dey read or speak Hebrew for their homes & inside synagogue, " for over 300years" , them no know say "I am" no dey Hebrew language... (Oga Pastor, fafafa foul.. this your lie na ogidigan.. Hhmmmm! ).
Oga Pastor said "it doesn't matter whether this (Septuagint ) is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity..... & that is what they built their theology on".
For example, if U wrote a book in Yoruba & U gave permission to a Greek translator to publish a Greek version of your book. After the work is done, U later found out that in chapter 3 ,the content & meaning is very different & contradicts your original book, would U accept that & praise the work & recommend it to the general public ?
Any deviation from the Hebrew texts (the original source) ,God says it's Unacceptable.1Thes5:20,21. Rev22:18,19
Nairalanders, PastorA10 doesn't mind to propagate the theology built on falsehood & man made fallacy (trinity).
Indeed, by their fruits ye shall know them (Matt7:15-20) who deny that Jesus is the son of God. Even though God revealed that Jesus is the son of the Living God (Matt16:13-17. 1John4:15. 5:10) but them say na lie.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2018
And with these words you have just attacked the entire basis of Christianity and even the words of Jesus himself.

All the quotations of the OT that the apostles make are from the Septuagint. Even when Jesus quotes the OT he quotes the Septuagint to if you think that the Septuagint is 'Unacceptable' then you obviously consider Jesus to be false and unacceptable too and Peter and Paul and all the apostles that quote extensively from the Septuagint.

You've just attacked the very premises of Christianity just to protect your vile evil pedophilic cult.

OneJ:

In your own words, "the early Christians & most Jews around the time of Christ did not read the Bible in Hebrew & hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years"
If we are to believe the trash U typed above, the Jews them done forget Hebrew & bury their language finish sotay them no dey speak am & even read Hebrew Torah scroll for their synagogues again
(If na only Septuagint dey at that time, So, U mean say them troway all the Hebrew scrolls wey them take write the Septuagint too !!!! Hahahahaaaa. )
Also, since them no dey read or speak Hebrew for their homes & inside synagogue, " for over 300years" , them no know say "I am" no dey Hebrew language... (Oga Pastor, fafafa foul.. this your lie na ogidigan.. Hhmmmm! ).
Oga Pastor said "it doesn't matter whether this (Septuagint ) is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity..... & that is what they built their theology on".
For example, if U wrote a book in Yoruba & U gave permission to a Greek translator to publish a Greek version of your book. After the work is done, U later found out that in chapter 3 ,the content & meaning is very different & contradicts your original book, would U accept that & praise the work & recommend it to the general public ?
Any deviation from the Hebrew texts (the original source) ,God says it's Unacceptable.1Thes5:20,21. Rev22:18,19
Nairalanders, PastorA10 doesn't mind to propagate the theology built on falsehood & man made fallacy (trinity).
Indeed, by their fruits ye shall know them (Matt7:15-20) who deny that Jesus is the son of God. Even though God revealed that Jesus is the son of the Living God (Matt16:13-17. 1John4:15. 5:10) but them say na lie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2018
OneJ:

Take the analogy further. If an entire religion is then formed on the basis of that Greek translation and the founder of the religion himself quotes extensively from the Greek translation then ...

Nobody who disagrees with the Greek translation can also claim to be an adherent of the religion or a followers of the founder of the religion.

Jesus is the founder of Christianity, a religion based on the Septuagint. If you don't like the Septuagint why are you lying that you are a follower of Jesus.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:33pm On Jul 02, 2018
Translated from the Hebrew bible. Amos 9:11-12

New Living Translation
And Israel will possess what is left of Edom and all the nations I have called to be mine." The LORD has spoken, and he will do these things.

English Standard Version
that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations who are called by my name,” declares the LORD who does this.

Berean Study Bible
so that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations that bear My name,” declares the LORD, who will do this.

New American Standard Bible
That they may possess the remnant of Edom And all the nations who are called by My name," Declares the LORD who does this.

King James Bible
That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.

Christian Standard Bible
so that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations that bear my name--this is the declaration of the LORD; he will do this.

Contemporary English Version
Then you will capture Edom and the other nations that are mine. I, the LORD, have spoken, and my words will come true.

Good News Translation
And so the people of Israel will conquer what is left of the land of Edom and all the nations that were once mine," says the LORD, who will cause this to happen.

But the Early christians didn't use the hebrew bible they used the Septuagint and the Septuagint says something rather different. Check out Acts 15:17

17that the remnant of mankind may seek the Lord,
and all the Gentiles who are called by my name,
says the Lord, who makes these things 18known from of old.’

Does that passage refer to the people of Edom or does it refer to all of Mankind?

Does it talk of conquering the people of Edom, or all mankind, by Force? Or does it talk about Edom, or all mankind, willingly coming to seek the Lord?

That would depend on whether you are reading the Septuagint or the Hebrew bible.

Because the early Christians read the septuagint they used that verse to justify why they could preach the gospel to the gentiles and to all mankind.
This verse wouldn't be able to serve that purpose if they reference was only to Edom. So here, another possible mistranslation plays an important role in early christian proselytising.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 7:25pm On Jul 02, 2018
OneJ:

Did you realise that the language spoken by Jews in Palestine at the time of Jesus was in fact Aramaic and not Hebrew.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 11:49pm On Jul 03, 2018
PastorAIO:

Did you realise that the language spoken by Jews in Palestine at the time of Jesus was in fact Aramaic and not Hebrew.

Half truth !! At that time, Hebrew was not the official language of the day but it was never extinct or non existent. The language dey kampe. It's like U saying that English is the language spoken in USA,not Spanish. That's a smooth lie.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 12:29am On Jul 04, 2018
OneJ:

Half truth !! At that time, Hebrew was not the official language of the day but it was never extinct or non existent. The language dey kampe. It's like U saying that English is the language spoken in USA,not Spanish. That's a smooth lie.

I never said that it was extinct or non existent. I said the language spoken was Aramaic not Hebrew. Just like the language spoken in the USA is English, yes.

Now that you're here though, I'm curious that you responded this my quip about which language was actually spoken in Palestine. But you ignored the weightier matter of whether the Jews understood the name of God as 'I Am' which is purely present tense. Sir, what is your response to that?
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 12:39am On Jul 04, 2018
PastorAIO:

Take the analogy further. If an entire religion is then formed on the basis of that Greek translation and the founder of the religion himself quotes extensively from the Greek translation then ...

Nobody who disagrees with the Greek translation can also claim to be an adherent of the religion or a followers of the founder of the religion.

Jesus is the founder of Christianity, a religion based on the Septuagint. If you don't like the Septuagint why are you lying that you are a follower of Jesus.

LIES &FALSEHOOD!
All these your long epistle are half hearted measures at best. Where & when did Jesus "quotes extensively from the Greek translation"?
Rather, Jesus extensively quoted the Hebrew scriptures for instance, in Matt4:4 he quoted Deut8:3. In John 10:34 he quoted Psalms 82:6 etc.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 2:02am On Jul 04, 2018
PastorAIO:

LIES &FALSEHOOD!
All these your long epistle are half hearted measures at best. Where & when did Jesus "quotes extensively from the Greek translation"?
Rather, Jesus extensively quoted the Hebrew scriptures for instance, in Matt4:4 he quoted Deut8:3. In John 10:34 he quoted Psalms 82:6 etc. He never twisted the word of God unlike U guys that gave endorsed the falsified the word.
Contrary to your claim, those who disagree with the Greek translation of the corrupted "I am" inserted into Hebrew are far more honest than the multitude who accepted the fallacy U have been putting up excuses to defend.
Today, there are multiple extant manuscripts far older than the Septuagint & as a result the falsified insertion of "I am" & other errors has been exposed. Pride ,ego & arrogance wey una get no go let una accept the truth.
God can never lie ( Hebrew 6:18. John17:17). Neither does HE accept Jewish fable & myths ("I am"wink that His word condemned in very strong terms ( Titus 1:13,14. 2Thess1:9-11. Rom1:25).
PastorA10, believe what U wanna believe.. but at your own risk.
Nairalanders, following this thread,as U can see (& going by what has been confirmed by Pastor A10) , the fact. is that the Trinity fallacy is built on the falsified insertion of the term "I am" (not a Hebrew word ) into Hebrew Old testament of the Greek Septuagint.
Statement of fact:Trinity is a man made fallacy, not taught by Jesus Christ or his followers, except U wanna twist the Bible to get your answer b4 the question.
PastorA10, thanks for your time. I'm done with U. Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 2:20am On Jul 04, 2018
PastorAIO:

I never said that it was extinct or non existent. I said the language spoken was Aramaic not Hebrew. Just like the language spoken in the USA is English, yes.

Now that you're here though, I'm curious that you responded this my quip about which language was actually spoken in Palestine. But you ignored the weightier matter of whether the Jews understood the name of God as 'I Am' which is purely present tense. Sir, what is your response to that?

... Well, i just saw this post now...
From time immemorial, the Jews rejected "I am" (even till tomorrow) because know its a man made fallacy that has no connection to the name of God just as they too rejected the Trinity. However, there exists apostates in their midst who would fall for any man made philosophy they fancy.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Hairyrapunzel: 9:28am On Jul 04, 2018
OneJ:

From time immemorial, the Jews rejected "I am" (even till tomorrow) because know its a man made fallacy that has no connection to the name of God just as they too rejected the Trinity. However, there exists apostates in their midst who would fall for any man made philosophy they fancy.

Just the way you consider people who don't agree with ever changing beliefs of men who are uninspired and fallible and can err in doctrinal matters and organizational direction as apostates. It's what's in the Bible accepting it. Stop speculating. You guys now practice Judaism or what?
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Hairyrapunzel: 9:31am On Jul 04, 2018
OneJ:

LIES &FALSEHOOD!
Rather, Jesus extensively quoted the Hebrew scriptures for instance, in Matt4:4 he quoted Deut8:3. In John 10:34 he quoted Psalms 82:6 etc. He never twisted the word of God unlike U guys that gave endorsed the falsified the word.
Contrary to your claim, those who disagree with the Greek translation of the corrupted "I am" inserted into Hebrew are far more honest than the multitude who accepted the fallacy U have been putting up excuses to defend.
Today, there are multiple extant manuscripts far older than the Septuagint & as a result the falsified insertion of "I am" & other errors has been exposed. Pride ,ego & arrogance wey una get no go let una accept the truth.
God can never lie ( Hebrew 6:18. John17:17). Neither does HE accept Jewish fable & myths ("I am"wink that His word condemned in very strong terms ( Titus 1:13,14. 2Thess1:9-11. Rom1:25).
PastorA10, believe what U wanna believe.. but at your own risk.
Nairalanders, following this thread,as U can see (& going by what has been confirmed by Pastor A10) , the fact. is that the Trinity fallacy is built on the falsified insertion of the term "I am" (not a Hebrew word ) into Hebrew Old testament of the Greek Septuagint.
Statement of fact:Trinity is a man made fallacy, not taught by Jesus Christ or his followers, except U wanna twist the Bible to get your answer b4 the question.
PastorA10, thanks for your time. I'm done with U. Shalom.
Which one of your own is now true? Your 1914, overlapping generation, blood transfusion ban, salvation only gotten by joining watchtower organization etc in fact all your doctrines/beliefs are lies and falsehood because they ain't seen in the Bible and they will always change in future. Pot calling kettle black.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 11:35am On Jul 04, 2018
OneJ:

They also rejected Jesus.

Are you a christian or a Jew?
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 11:39am On Jul 04, 2018
OneJ:

LIES &FALSEHOOD!
Rather, Jesus extensively quoted the Hebrew scriptures for instance, in Matt4:4 he quoted Deut8:3. In John 10:34 he quoted Psalms 82:6 etc.

Here is a list of NT quotations of the Septuagint including quotes made by Jesus:

Matt. 1:23 / Isaiah 7:14 - behold, a "virgin" shall conceive.
Hebrew - behold, a "young woman" shall conceive.

Matt. 3:3; Mark 1:3; John 1:23 / Isaiah 40:3 - make "His paths straight."
Hebrew - make "level in the desert a highway."

Matt. 9:13; 12:7 / Hosea 6:6 - I desire "mercy" and not sacrifice.
Hebrew - I desire "goodness" and not sacrifice.

Matt. 12:21 / Isaiah 42:4 - in His name will the Gentiles hope (or trust).
Hebrew - the isles shall wait for his law.

Matt. 13:15 / Isaiah 6:10 - heart grown dull; eyes have closed; to heal.
Hebrew - heart is fat; ears are heavy; eyes are shut; be healed.

Matt. 15:9; Mark 7:7 / Isaiah 29:13 - teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.
Hebrew - a commandment of men (not doctrines).

Matt. 21:16 / Psalm 8:2 - out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou has "perfect praise."
Hebrew - thou has "established strength."

Mark 7:6-8 � Jesus quotes Isaiah 29:13 from the Septuagint � �This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.�
Luke 3:5-6 / Isaiah 40:4-5 - crooked be made straight, rough ways smooth, shall see salvation.
Hebrew - omits these phrases.

Luke 4:18 / Isaiah 61:1 - and recovering of sight to the blind.
Hebrew - the opening of prison to them that are bound.

Luke 4:18 / Isaiah 58:6 - to set at liberty those that are oppressed (or bruised).
Hebrew - to let the oppressed go free.

John 6:31 / Psalm 78:24 - He gave them "bread" out of heaven to eat.
Hebrew - gave them "food" or "grain" from heaven.

John 12:38 / Isaiah 53:1 - who has believed our "report?"
Hebrew - who has believed our "message?"

John 12:40 / Isaiah 6:10 - lest they should see with eyes...turn for me to heal them.
Hebrew - shut their eyes...and be healed.

Acts 2:19 / Joel 2:30 - blood and fire and "vapor" of smoke.
Hebrew - blood and fire and "pillars" or "columns" of smoke.

Acts 2:25-26 / Psalm 16:8 - I saw...tongue rejoiced...dwell in hope..
Hebrew - I have set...glory rejoiced...dwell in safety.

Acts 4:26 / Psalm 2:1 - the rulers "were gathered together."
Hebrew - rulers "take counsel together."

Acts 7:14 / Gen. 46:27; Deut. 10:22 - Stephen says "seventy-five" souls went down to Egypt.
Hebrew - "seventy" people went.

Acts 7:27-28 / Exodus 2:14 - uses "ruler" and judge; killed the Egyptian "yesterday."
Hebrew - uses "prince" and there is no reference to "yesterday."

Acts 7:43 / Amos 5:26-27 - the tent of "Moloch" and star of god of Rephan.
Hebrew - "your king," shrine, and star of your god.

Acts 8:33 / Isaiah 53:7-8 - in his humiliation justice was denied him.
Hebrew - by oppression...he was taken away.

Acts 13:41 / Habakkuk 1:5 - you "scoffers" and wonder and "perish."
Hebrew - you "among the nations," and "be astounded."

Acts 15:17 / Amos 9:12 - the rest (or remnant) of "men."
Hebrew - the remnant of "Edom."

Rom. 2:24 / Isaiah 52:5 - the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles.
Hebrew - blasphemed (there is no mention of the Gentiles).

Rom. 3:4 / Psalm 51:4 - thou mayest "prevail" (or overcome) when thou art judged.
Hebrew - thou might "be clear" when thou judges.

Rom. 3:12 / Psalm 14:1,3 - they "have gone wrong."
Hebrew - they are "corrupt" or "filthy."

Rom. 3:13 / Psalm 5:9 - they use their tongues to deceive.
Hebrew - they flatter with their tongues. There is no "deceit" language.

Rom. 3:13 / Psalm 140:3 - the venom of "asps" is under their lips.
Hebrew - "Adder's" poison is under their lips.

Rom. 3:14 / Psalm 10:7 - whose mouth is full of curses and "bitterness."
Hebrew - cursing and "deceit and oppression."

Rom. 9:17 / Exodus 9:16 - my power "in you"; my name may be "proclaimed."
Hebrew - show "thee"; may name might be "declared."

Rom. 9:25 / Hosea 2:23 - I will call my people; I will call my beloved.
Hebrew - I will have mercy (love versus mercy).

Rom. 9:27 / Isaiah 10:22 - only a remnant of them "will be saved."
Hebrew - only a remnant of them "will return."

Rom. 9:29 / Isaiah 1:9 - had not left us "children."
Hebrew - Jehova had left us a "very small remnant."

Rom. 9:33; 10:11; 1 Peter 2:6 / Isaiah 28:16 - he who believes will not be "put to shame."
Hebrew - shall not be "in haste."

Rom. 10:18 / Psalm 19:4 - their "voice" has gone out.
Hebrew - their "line" is gone out.

Rom. 10:20 / Isaiah 65:1 - I have "shown myself" to those who did not ask for me.
Hebrew - I am "inquired of" by them.

Rom. 10:21 / Isaiah 65:2 - a "disobedient and contrary" people.
Hebrew - a "rebellious" people.
Rom. 11:9-10 / Psalm 69:22-23 - "pitfall" and "retribution" and "bend their backs."
Hebrew - "trap" and "make their loins shake."

Rom. 11:26 / Isaiah 59:20 - will banish "ungodliness."
Hebrew - turn from "transgression."

Rom. 11:27 / Isaiah 27:9 - when I take away their sins.
Hebrew - this is all the fruit of taking away his sin.

Rom. 11:34; 1 Cor. 2:16 / Isaiah 40:13 -the "mind" of the Lord; His "counselor."
Hebrew - "spirit" of the Lord; "taught" Him.

Rom. 12:20 / Prov. 25:21 - feed him and give him to drink.
Hebrew - give him "bread" to eat and "water" to drink.

Rom. 15:12 / Isaiah 11:10 - the root of Jesse..."to rule the Gentiles."
Hebrew - stands for an ensign. There is nothing about the Gentiles.

Rom. 15:21 / Isaiah 52:15 - been told "of him"; heard "of him."
Hebrew - does not mention "him" (the object of the prophecy).

1 Cor. 1:19 / Isaiah 29:14 - "I will destroy" the wisdom of the wise.
Hebrew - wisdom of their wise men "shall perish."

1 Cor. 5:13 / Deut. 17:7 - remove the "wicked person."
Hebrew - purge the "evil." This is more generic evil in the MT.

1 Cor. 15:55 / Hosea 13:14 - O death, where is thy "sting?"
Hebrew - O death, where are your "plagues?"

2 Cor. 4:13 / Psalm 116:10 - I believed and so I spoke (past tense).
Hebrew - I believe, for I will speak (future tense).

2 Cor. 6:2 / Isaiah 49:8 - I have "listened" to you.
Hebrew - I have "answered" you.

Gal. 3:10 / Deut. 27:26 - cursed be every one who does not "abide" by all things.
Hebrew - does not "confirm" the words.

Gal. 3:13 / Deut. 21:23 - cursed is everyone who hangs on a "tree."
Hebrew - a hanged man is accursed. The word "tree" does not follow.

Gal. 4:27 / Isaiah 54:1 - "rejoice" and "break forth and shout."
Hebrew - "sing" and "break forth into singing."

2 Tim. 2:19 / Num. 16:5 - The Lord "knows" those who are His.
Hebrew - God will "show" who are His.

Heb. 1:6 / Deut. 32:43 - let all the angels of God worship Him.
Hebrew - the Masoretic text omits this phrase from Deut. 32:43.

Heb. 1:12 / Psalm 102:25 - like a "mantle" ... "roll them"... "will be changed."
Hebrew - "raiment"... "change"..."pass away."

Heb. 2:7 / Psalm 8:5 - thou has made Him a little "lower than angels."
Hebrew - made Him but a little "lower than God."

Heb. 2:12 / Psalm 22:22 - I will " sing" thy praise.
Hebrew - I will praise thee. The LXX and most NTs (but not the RSV) have "sing."

Heb. 2:13 / Isaiah 8:17 - I will "put my trust in Him."
Hebrew - I will "look for Him."

Heb. 3:15 / Psalm 95:8 - do not harden your hearts as "in the rebellion."
Hebrew - harden not your hearts "as at Meribah."

Heb. 3:15; 4:7 / Psalm 95:7 - when you hear His voice do not harden not your hearts.
Hebrew - oh that you would hear His voice!

Heb. 8:9-10 / Jer. 31:32-33 - (nothing about husband); laws into their mind.
Hebrew - I was a husband; law in their inward parts.

Heb. 9:28 / Isaiah 10:22 - "to save those" who are eagerly awaiting for Him.
Hebrew - a remnant of them "shall return."

Heb. 10:5 / Psalm 40:6 - "but a body hast thou prepared for me."
Hebrew - "mine ears hast thou opened."

Heb. 10:38 / Hab. 2:3-4 - if he shrinks (or draws) back, my soul shall have no pleasure.
Hebrew - his soul is puffed up, not upright.

Heb. 11:5 / Gen. 5:24 - Enoch was not "found."
Hebrew - Enoch was "not."

Heb. 11:21 / Gen. 47:31 - Israel, bowing "over the head of his staff."
Hebrew - there is nothing about bowing over the head of his staff.

Heb. 12:6 / Prov. 3:12 - He chastises every son whom He receives.
Hebrew - even as a father the son in whom he delights.

Heb. 13:6 / Psalm 118:6 - the Lord "is my helper."
Hebrew - Jehova "is on my side." The LXX and the NT are identical.

James 4:6 / Prov. 3:34 - God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
Hebrew - He scoffs at scoffers and gives grace to the lowly.

1 Peter 1:24 / Isaiah 40:6 - all its "glory" like the flower.
Hebrew - all the "goodliness" as the flower.

1 Pet. 2:9 / Exodus 19:6 - you are a "royal priesthood."
Hebrew - you shall be to me a "kingdom of priests."

1 Pet. 2:9 / Isaiah 43:21 - God's own people...who called you out of darkness.
Hebrew - which I formed myself. These are different actions.

1 Pet. 2:22 / Isaiah 53:9 - he "committed no sin."
Hebrew - he "had done no violence."

1 Pet. 4:18 / Prov. 11:31 - if a righteous man "is scarcely saved."
Hebrew - if the righteous "is recompensed."

1 Pet. 5:5 / Prov. 3:34 - God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
Hebrew - He scoffs at scoffers and gives grace to lowly.

Isaiah 11:2 - this verse describes the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit, but the seventh gift, "piety," is only found in the Septuagint.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 11:55am On Jul 04, 2018
OneJ:

LIES &FALSEHOOD!

In Matthew 9:13 he quotes the septuagint.

He does it again in Matt 12:7. So at least you know that the first time wasn't just a mistake.

In Matthew 13: 14-15 He quotes septuagint again.

In matthew 21:16 he does so again.

Look these up, what the Hebrew bible says is quite different from what Jesus quotes. What Jesus quotes is the Septuagint version.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 11:13am On Jul 05, 2018
PastorAIO:

In Matthew 9:13 he quotes the septuagint.

He does it again in Matt 12:7. So at least you know that the first time wasn't just a mistake.

In Matthew 13: 14-15 He quotes septuagint again.

In matthew 21:16 he does so again.

Look these up, what the Hebrew bible says is quite different from what Jesus quotes. What Jesus quotes is the Septuagint version.

Oga, the Hebrew scriptures existed before the Septuagint. Their scrolls were often kept in the synagogues. In these bible verses of Matthew, U referred above, Jesus himself paraphrased what he learnt from the Hebrew scriptures . For instance, Hosea6:6 reads: "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice ,& acknowledgement of God rather than burnt offerings".. Matt9:13 reads " but go & learn what this means: "I desire mercy,not sacrifice". For I have not come to call the righteous but sinners'.(Similar words in matt 12:7).
When U read matt 13:14,15 ,it's more like a direct quote of Isaiah 6:9,10.
But Matt21:16 quoted Psalms 8:2 in part. Jesus done first read am & learn am for Hebrew scriptures b4 he talk am for the Septuagint. Shalom. Na the cover versions of the Hebrew Scriptures naim dey for the Septuagint

2 Likes

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2018
OneJ:

Oga, the Hebrew scriptures existed before the Septuagint. Their scrolls were often kept in the synagogues. In these bible verses of Matthew, U referred above, Jesus himself paraphrased what he learnt from the Hebrew scriptures . For instance, Hosea6:6 reads: "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice ,& acknowledgement of God rather than burnt offerings".. Matt9:13 reads " but go & learn what this means: "I desire mercy,not sacrifice". For I have not come to call the righteous but sinners'.(Similar words in matt 12:7).
When U read matt 13:14,15 ,it's more like a direct quote of Isaiah 6:9,10.
But Matt21:16 quoted Psalms 8:2 in part. Jesus done first read am & learn am for Hebrew scriptures b4 he talk am for the Septuagint. Shalom. Na the cover versions of the Hebrew Scriptures naim dey for the Septuagint

I'm not talking about which one existed first. I'm talking about the fact that Christianity is largely based on the septuagint and many doctrines are based on passages from the septuagint. If you despise the Septuagint so much then you obviously despise Christianity and the teachings of Jesus which are based on the Septuagint.

Hosea 6:6 Actually the Hebrew version of Hosea 6,6 says "I desire GOODNESS, not sacrifice."

It is the Septuagint that says 'I desire MERCY..." And it is the Septuagint that Jesus is quoting in Matt 9:13

If the Septuagint is good enough for Jesus then why is it not Good enough for you.

The Septuagint says, in the present tense, 'I Am That I Am". Ego Eimi Ho On.

Since it is obvious that Jesus read the Septuagint it follows that he would be aware of the implications of saying 'Ego Eimi'. The same implication that made the Jews around him want to pick up stone and stone him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by OneJ: 2:56pm On Jul 05, 2018
"Hecedh" also spelt. "checedh" ,the exact Hebrew word there meaning loving kindness. It is synonymous or equivalent to mercy ,goodness, kindness or brotherly love.
In Hebrew "ehyeh asher ehyeh" means. " I will become what/who I will become" ( Exodus 3:14 ). "Ego himi ho on " is not the Greek equivalent for Hebrew's ehyeh asher ehyeh. Stop being dishonest,Oga Pastor. White can never be black. pls Stick to the bitter truth.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Marry In Your 20s To Avoid Nagging In Your 30s – Prophet Ritabbi To Ladies / Sex: A Trusted Tool In The Hands Of The Devil / Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 212
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.