Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,930 members, 7,952,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:46 PM

Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? (10005 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Letter To Nigerian Parents / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 04, 2010
Right now I am so bitter and saddened about the fact that they'd rather pay better attention to what complete strangers have to say about their children and never bother to find out the truth from the direct interested.

Just this morning I got really pissed after I heard nonsense about someone very close to me: I even call her my cousin. This is someone who tells me everything about her. My mum happens to be her mum's friend and It is a shame that two adults are not sensible enough to sit a young lady down and demand what is happening. Rather they are fooled by what some jobless people have to say about their children.

I know for a fact that this deafness to their children's appeals is not taught in Church because I have been there several times and i have heard the pastors preach about communicating with their children. It is disgusting to see a mother propagating gossips she heard about her child around town and alimenting the negative view people have of them.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 04, 2010
1. The culture: children are to be seen, not heard.
2. Poor communication. I bet those situations happen when child and parent barely speak abt sensitive details in the child's personal life
3. Sad, but some people are more comfortable spreading a rumor than facing up to the truth - that they may be the architect of their child's problem. Others just don't know how to be part of the solution, and focus on enjoying the existence of a problem.
4. A bit far-fetched, but a parent might use it as a tool to humiliate a child they think is stubborn.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by cantell(m): 12:55pm On Jan 04, 2010
@Michelin.
Our culture is different. Its not like in western culture where the parents knocks on the door of their 8yr old child and waits till he/she answers before they come in.
In Igboland, there's this adage that says, "One person cannot train a child". If a young child misbehaves in public in my place, the nearest adult will either report to the parents or scold the child. In some cases the child might be given some strokes of the cane.
Parents listen to their fellow adults because they believe an adult would not lie just to see a child punished.
Besides they can only listen to the people they trust.
Its the way it is.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by iice(f): 1:23pm On Jan 04, 2010
iceblue:

1. The culture: children are to be seen, not heard.
2. Poor communication. I bet those situations happen when child and parent barely speak abt sensitive details in the child's personal life
3. Sad, but some people are more comfortable spreading a rumor than facing up to the truth - that they may be the architect of their child's problem. Others just don't know how to be part of the solution, and focus on enjoying the existence of a problem.
4. A bit far-fetched, but a parent might use it as a tool to humiliate a child they think is stubborn.

Word
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by ifyalways(f): 5:20pm On Jan 04, 2010
. . .and what do the kids do when they hear or find out that their parents are turning to strangers for advice rather than talking with them them?
Getting angry and disappointed wont do much,let ur cousin sit with her mum and talk.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Outstrip(f): 7:13pm On Jan 04, 2010
cantell:

@Michelin.
Our culture is different. Its not like in western culture where the parents knocks on the door of their 8yr old child and waits till he/she answers before they come in.
In Igboland, there's this adage that says, "One person cannot train a child". If a young child misbehaves in public in my place, the nearest adult will either report to the parents or scold the child. In some cases the child might be given some strokes of the cane.
Parents listen to their fellow adults because they believe an adult would not lie just to see a child punished.
Besides they can only listen to the people they trust.
Its the way it is.

emmmm your point?

Parents like this lose out in the long run. I know a couple of parents that are finally realizing that their unwillingness to change has cost them their relationships with their young adult children.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by mamagee3(f): 7:55pm On Jan 04, 2010
My parents listen to me although
Some Nigerian Parents don't listen to their children
. tongue
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 9:17pm On Jan 04, 2010
@michelin89

It is one thing for a parent to listen to the child and it is another thing for the parent to follow the wishes of the child.And most times than not, when a parent refuses to do what the child wants, it's usually termed "not listening to the children".Every responsible parent who brought a child or children to this world wishes the best for them.The fact that a child wants candy every day for breakfast doesn't necessarily mean it's good for them.Like it or not, parents usually know what's best for their kids until the come off age.Even in maturity, a parent can still advise a child (or pikin grin) on what's best for them.

I remember as a kid, i wanted this and that and more than 70% of what i wanted was turned down cry .Thinking back today, i'm grateful for the sort of parents i had (RIP mom and dad).As much as you will hate what i want to say, Nigerian kids are better trained,disciplined and well behaved that kids in the western hemisphere.You will NOT see a child here telling their Dads to shut up! You will not see kids here calling the police on their dad simply because he is having a heated argument with mom.You will not see sueing their parents for independence at an early age.Nigerian parents DO listen to their children but they don't follow all the wishes of the children and neither do they bow to all their demands.That's what differs us from the western world.

This might not be directly applicable to the reason why you posted this thread but it covers the root cause of "complaints" of this nature.

Happy new year cool
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 04, 2010
@ harakiri

Read the first post and reply to that. You completely missed the point.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 11:19pm On Jan 04, 2010
Right now I am so bitter and saddened about the fact that they'd rather pay better attention to what complete strangers have to say about their children and never bother to find out the truth from the direct interested.

Just this morning I got really pissed after I heard nonsense about someone very close to me: I even call her my cousin. This is someone who tells me everything about her. My mum happens to be her mum's friend and It is a shame that two adults are not sensible enough to sit a young lady down and demand what is happening. Rather they are fooled by what some jobless people have to say about their children.

I know for a fact that this deafness to their children's appeals is not taught in Church because I have been there several times and i have heard the pastors preach about communicating with their children. It is disgusting to see a mother propagating gossips she heard about her child around town and alimenting the negative view people have of them.

Your grievance her lies with how your mom and your mom's friend handled some "issue" with someone you call your cousin.They apparently gave in to outsider gossip rather than find out what was really happening from the source.Am i close to the money or do you still think i'm off point?

@ harakiri

Read the first post and reply to that. You completely missed the point.

As a moderator, you should exercise some degree of patience to read posts before replying.I have answered you "again" above.And here is what i added after posting the last time.

This might not be directly applicable to the reason why you posted this thread but it covers the root cause of "complaints" of this nature.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 11:25pm On Jan 04, 2010
@michelin89 (again)

If you can just painstakingly take the time to actually read through my first post, you will notice that it was directed mostly at your HEADLINE and i also summarized my explanation at the bottom of the page.People coming to read on here will be expecting to see something more "generalized" and not your personal issues at home.

Kapish?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jan 04, 2010
If you can't stick to the topic and you don't have enough PATIENCE to read the first post, then don't complain when someone says you are off topic. And what has my position as a mod got to do with it?

When you click on a thread, always read the first post and we'll spare ourselves useless exercise of our fingers.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 11:46pm On Jan 04, 2010
michelin89:

If you can't stick to the topic and you don't have enough PATIENCE to read the first post, then don't complain when someone says you are off topic. And what has my position as a mod got to do with it?

When you click on a thread, always read the first post and we'll spare ourselves useless exercise of our fingers.
undecided

Sometimes i wonder what the criteria really is to become a moderator on nairaland.Clearly, manners and principles aren't one of them.
undecided undecided embarassed
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Fhemmmy: 2:05am On Jan 05, 2010
It is not all parents that are guilty of such.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by echobee(f): 11:49am On Jan 05, 2010
it is called culture
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 05, 2010
This culture sucks.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 2:37pm On Jan 05, 2010
This culture ROCKS and you know it. cool
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by axeman85(m): 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
Most nigerian parents believe they know whats best for their children. because they think being old and seen life qualifies them to know whats best. without considering the childrens opinion of thoughts. nonsense.

years ago the day i stood up to my mother, that day my life changed for the better, i learnt to reason for myself, makes mistakes and learn from it. and also set the way for my younger ones to be able to reason and think for themselves and stand up for themselves so as not to be intimidated by anyone all in the name of parents.

culture ko, culture ni, same culture that makes women slaves to their husband, makes men misbehave to their wives, makes children live their life in fear of their parents, makes children go to university and study what they are not interested in just becos they want to listen to their parent, make men get married to wrong choice of women becuase my parents dont like her, make women get married to men who turn out to be monsters or cronic womaniser, and they say my parents asked me to marry him becos he is igbo, yourba he is from my tribe. culture that makes a woman kneel down to give husband water. culture that makes the wife call her husband younger ones uncle or aunty at 18/19 years of age.

NONSENSE. !!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Omolulu(m): 4:00pm On Jan 05, 2010
i think it's a generational thing
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by whiteroses(f): 10:50pm On Jan 05, 2010
lol @ the person that says naija parent makes their kids call each other auntie/brother if they are older than each other, my parent were quite easy going and we call each other names but i rem my cousins call their elders auntie, so when they visit and they call us auntie we'd laugh at them so hard till they are embarassed, and we'd say call us by our names but it'll sound heavy in their mouth lol grin who made that culture anyway sad auntie ko
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by init4dmoni(m): 11:00pm On Jan 05, 2010
cuz their ego's are to big
angry angry
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Dclique(m): 11:01pm On Jan 05, 2010
I think this is some rhetorical question.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by bawomolo(m): 11:23pm On Jan 05, 2010
whiteroses:

lol @ the person that says naija parent makes their kids call each other auntie/brother if they are older than each other, my parent were quite easy going and we call each other names but i rem my cousins call their elders auntie, so when they visit and they call us auntie we'd laugh at them so hard till they are embarassed, and we'd say call us by our names but it'll sound heavy in their mouth lol grin who made that culture anyway sad auntie ko

I see nothing wrong in calling your elders auntie or brother but it seems abused with the whole "I'm i your mate" mentality some Nigerians have.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by axeman85(m): 11:28pm On Jan 05, 2010
bawomolo:

I see nothing wrong in calling your elders auntie or brother but it seems abused with the whole "I'm i your mate" mentality some Nigerians have.

if its my post ur referring to, what i meant there was its this useless culture that gives the wife to be calling her husbands younger ones auntie and uncle even tho they are much younger than her.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by bawomolo(m): 11:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
axeman85:

if its my post your referring to, what i meant there was its this useless culture that gives the wife to be calling her husbands younger ones auntie and uncle even tho they are much younger than her.

now that's just plain wrong.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by axeman85(m): 11:52pm On Jan 05, 2010
bawomolo:

now that's just plain wrong.

but thats the said culture. smelling talk.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 06, 2010
Right now I am considering writing a letter to their pastor to warn them. How can a group of adults, with the consent of the mother, destroy the reputation of an innocent girl? It's unforgivable and I won't sit and watch it.

Since the mother has given them green card, these people now create rumours at the slightest opportunity. Does it cost so much to have a heart to heart talk with your daughter?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by londoner: 12:17am On Jan 06, 2010
Some Nigerian parents dont listen to their children because they think they know it all, and can never be wrong.

I dont think its just Nigerians though. Even when you speak up, you are considered rude.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Outstrip(f): 12:25am On Jan 06, 2010
michelin89:

Right now I am considering writing a letter to their pastor to warn them. How can a group of adults, with the consent of the mother, destroy the reputation of an innocent girl? It's unforgivable and I won't sit and watch it.

Since the mother has given them green card, these people now create rumours at the slightest opportunity. Does it cost so much to have a heart to heart talk with your daughter?

What makes you think the Pastor will be reasonable. Abi is he not Nigerian? Whatever you do just don't make it worse. I have seen even worse behavior from Nigerian church folk

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 06, 2010
Outstrip:

What makes you think the Pastor will be reasonable. Abi is he not Nigerian? Whatever you do just don't make it worse. I have seen even worse behavior from Nigerian church folk

At least to make them know someone is not happy with their ways. I knew what I am talking about because I grew up with a mother who continuously lied against me to the point that for 3 years I completely cut her out of my life.

I don't want them to do the same thing to my lil cousin.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Outstrip(f): 12:31am On Jan 06, 2010
I hope it works though the truth is people that do things like this do not change. They just get worse until it consumes then and even then they still will not change. It is too ingrained
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 12:33am On Jan 06, 2010
Well even though I fail, at least I'll have tried.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.