Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? (9848 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Letter To Nigerian Parents / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 6:33am On Jan 07, 2010
@Bokoharam

I guess that would be another time.Thanks for taking the time to read through my post.Majority of the posters here defending the moderator don't even take the time to read the first two lines.They just skim through,jump to conclusions and get their itchy fingers to work.The MODERATOR is the worst culprit in this regard.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 6:41am On Jan 07, 2010
jaguar_09:

@Poster, Axeman

Now i see why Naija youths will never rise for their right, we are abandoning our culture in all phases and embracing strange cultures all in the name of civilization. i blame all this on the economy of Nigeria. had it been that our leaders do the right thing people will see reason to be proud to be a Nigerian and an African. Remember the bible say "bring up a child in the way of the Lord and when he grows he will not depart from it".

@harakiri i concor with you. many Naija youth are derailing from their background, God created you to be a Nigerian and an African for you to fulfill purpose here on Earth, he gave you that identity, culture and race the best you can do is abide by it and be proud of it. see the good in the African and Nigerian culture so that it may be well with you. Being well with you means having Peace with you fellow man. even your enemies will celebrate you because you are fulfiling your purpose.

Thank you very much.It amazes me how a lot of people on here are running down one of the core virtues that make us unique from others in the first place and that is GOOD UPBRINGING.Even with all the pampering and "freedoms", you cannot compare a Nigerian kid raised abroad with his/her oyibo counterparts.There will always be a marked difference.For all of you who are pouring out venom on parents, please don't forget that you will be parents some day and when your 16 daughter brings a man for "introduction", please don't turn up your eyebrows.You are all here talking this and talking that.Introduction? Can you imagine that? At 16?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by harakiri(m): 6:49am On Jan 07, 2010
otukpo:

am surprised at the replies.

I know parents who defend their children to outsiders even when they know their children were wrong.

Maybe, your cousin has not been open and truthful to the mother, but that still is not enough for the mom to talk bad abt her with another person. something is def wrong somewhere.

But calm down poster, u can talk to her mom and make her understand her daughter well, if u are sure the girl is as good as u think she is.

Wow. . .i didn't know NL ladies were this methodical in their reasoning.For most of the women that post here, it's the norm to jump on the band wagon without even thinking things through for a second.Like i said before, parents who listen to outsiders do so because the child in question hasnt' proven his/herself to be mature and of sound judgement! ! !

Simple as that.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by otukpo(f): 8:48am On Jan 07, 2010
harakiri:

Wow. . .i didn't know NL ladies were this methodical in their reasoning.For most of the women that post here, it's the norm to jump on the band wagon without even thinking things through for a second.Like i said before, parents who listen to outsiders do so because the child in question hasnt' proven his/herself to be mature and of sound judgement! ! !

Simple as that.

The poster definitley does not know the cousin well. No matter will set out to tarnish the image of her daughter. Most mothers wld do anything to cover their daugthers and paint them as good even tho bad.

The girl is just 16, and she is def moving in the wrong direction. Why talk of marriage now and by the way, who is sending her to guiness?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by agitator: 9:19am On Jan 07, 2010
otukpo:

The poster definitley does not know the cousin well. No matter will set out to tarnish the image of her daughter. Most mothers wld do anything to cover their daugthers and paint them as good even tho bad.

The girl is just 16, and she is def moving in the wrong direction. Why talk of marriage now and by the way, who is sending her to guiness?

abeg ask her for me ooooh. Even confirmed prostitutes, you hardly see the mothers broadcasting that they are such. In fact woe betide you to open you mouth in front of the mother to say her daughter is a prostitute. maybe only 3 out of 10000 mothers will own up to the bad character of their daughters
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 07, 2010
Who said mothers have never spoken bad of their daughters to total strangers? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by kpolli(m): 11:58am On Jan 07, 2010
cos their parents never listened to them
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by mecussey(m): 12:32pm On Jan 07, 2010
I think it's the effect of the last civil war; it's worst with the Igbo fathers. New fathers now listen to there sons
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by tbaba83(m): 3:57pm On Jan 07, 2010
nawao some people here are saying giving children a voice to be heared is abondoning our culture. Do you seriously think our culture is really doing us any good. African cultures that scream circumcising women so that they dont become promiscious and slashing tribal marks on little kids all in the name of so called african beauty are what african cultures scream barbaric. Children need to be heard end of story.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Bokoharam: 4:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
michelin89:

Who said mothers have never spoken bad of their daughters to total strangers? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ok. Sobbered. Been grappling with replying 4 d past 2 hours. Mailto: mybokoharam@yahoo.com.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 07, 2010
@harakiri d fool is here again givin useless advice as usual. MR I TOO KNOW grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.d world should have bin a beta place if people like u dont exist.i pray i dont have a child dat will constitute a nuisance anywere he is.( like u )how wount u no dat an 8 yr old child is selling on d street wen u r a low life urself.am hapy people like me dont even no dat 8 yr olds sell on d street cos i was never brought up 2 see n smell poverty.n my 18yr old sister is askin weda u r 10 yr old.cos u sound like an impoverishedn malnourished ghetto child.dat we av loggerheads with our parents doesnt take away d fact dat dey luv us, dirty little tin angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry.so sorry i wish u cud be more refined grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Ndeewonu: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2010
kulyie:

@harakiri d fool is here again givin useless advice as usual. MR I TOO KNOW grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.d world should have bin a beta place if people like u dont exist.i pray i dont have a child dat will constitute a nuisance anywere he is.( like u )how wount u no dat an 8 yr old child is selling on d street wen u r a low life urself.am hapy people like me dont even no dat 8 yr olds sell on d street cos i was never brought up 2 see n smell poverty.n my 18yr old sister is askin weda u r 10 yr old.cos u sound like an impoverishedn malnourished ghetto child.dat we av loggerheads with our parents doesnt take away d fact dat dey luv us, dirty little tin angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry.so sorry i wish u cud be more refined grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kulyie, who does this refer to? Pls, clarify.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Bokoharam: 7:31am On Jan 09, 2010
@Michelin89

I acknowledge. Well written. I feel sobered by that. So sorry. I could NOT reply up till now. I ve bn finding it difficult. I referred to that on my post #. I think we need to talk more about it & proffer solutions.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by djayxpro: 7:25pm On Jan 09, 2010
yea guy you are right. some naija parents are not intimate with their wards. we lack communication!! some children would rather talk to "wrong" friends than their "right" parents!!
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2010
@kulyie
u'll prolly notice that some people on nairaland like to focus on the person, rather than the issue, and have ready words of insult for anyone who doesn't toe their line of thought. my advice: ignore them till they fade away! don't exchange words with em. That's a waste of ur precious time.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 11, 2010
THE REASON WHY PARENT'S LISTEN TO OUTSIDERS MORE THAN YOURSELF IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT PROVEN YOURSELF AS BEING MATURE AND YOU HAVE ALSO DONE THINGS TO MAKE THEM DOUBT YOUR JUDGEMENT! ! !

Word.

@ Michelin
It makes no sense to me why people would go out of their way to tarnish a young girl's image, but things do happen. However, her being a virgin does not prove anything either. It's not until you lose your virginity people would see you as wayward. I knew girls like that who were and could still be virgins in my church but their attitude especially when we were in the midst of boys only disproves all the whole virginity covering. We heard rumors about these girls (some were in fact my friends) and we still continue to hear rumors about them, some of which were confirmed true. Is it fair to refer to them as loose girls, no. But it's very important in a Nigerian setting you conduct yourself properly in public as a girl. That's just the sad truth. Because you're in a foreign land does not mean Nigerian values will evaporate overnight. And yes there are nigerian values when it comes to parenting (although we still have to do some work on parent-child communication) or the issue of dating as a teenager (which is clearly still frowned upon).
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 11, 2010
I have encouraged my cousin to speak to her mother, because that seems the only solution.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 11, 2010
@ndewoo i'm referin 2 H A RA K I R I so if u no d 'thing' pls relay my msg 2 d person
@ice blue thanks.i was just provoked
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:46am On Jun 13, 2010
Most nigerian parents believe they know whats best for their children. because they think being old and seen life qualifies them to know whats best. without considering the childrens opinion of thoughts. nonsense.

years ago the day i stood up to my mother, that day my life changed for the better, i learnt to reason for myself, makes mistakes and learn from it. and also set the way for my younger ones to be able to reason and think for themselves and stand up for themselves so as not to be intimidated by anyone all in the name of parents.

culture ko, culture ni, same culture that makes women slaves to their husband, makes men misbehave to their wives, makes children live their life in fear of their parents, makes children go to university and study what they are not interested in just becos they want to listen to their parent, make men get married to wrong choice of women becuase my parents dont like her, make women get married to men who turn out to be monsters or cronic womaniser, and they say my parents asked me to marry him becos he is igbo, yourba he is from my tribe. culture that makes a woman kneel down to give husband water. culture that makes the wife call her husband younger ones uncle or aunty at 18/19 years of age.

NONSENSE. !!!!!!!!!

Good to know there are some men who have common sense. Completely agree with your post.

Dont know what a post about Nigerians not listening to their children has to do with children telling parents to shut up *rolleyes*
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:02am On Jun 13, 2010
stillwater:

Word.

@ Michelin
It makes no sense to me why people would go out of their way to tarnish a young girl's image, but things do happen

Nigerians are miserable people esp the "I live in church" ones.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Parents Listen To Their Children? by seyibrown(f): 8:07pm On Aug 08, 2010
Not 'listening' to their children is one main reason why many Nigerian parents never get to find out when their children are being molested! Many parents have totally enstranged their children from being able to come to them when they have serious problems. In many cases, where the child rises above the ' shut up', 'I'll kill you', I'll beat you' and tells them someone is molesting them, the kids are told 'stop telling lies', 'who sent you there' or labelled promiscuous by their own very parents. Many do not report rape because they fear their parents would 'kill them'(not literally) or disown them!

We'll learn someday sha!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Would You Spy On Your Spouse's Phone? / The Manipulated Man - A Book By Esther Vilar / What Has Marriage Taught You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.