Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) (22779 Views)

Binyavanga Wainaina Is Dead! HIV Positive Gay Rights Activist And Author Dies / EZE GOES TO School's Author , Onuorah Nzekwu Dies Aged 89! / Breaking: Onuorah Nzekwu, Author Of "Eze Goes To School" Dies At 89 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nairadays: 11:26am On Apr 22, 2017
Writers have great tendencies to impact generations.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by kingdenny(m): 11:26am On Apr 22, 2017
Eze goes to school! Wow. I still remember that book.. people like this should be celebrated.... Who did not read this book... almost every one. Except indomie generation tongue
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by tyup(m): 11:27am On Apr 22, 2017
my new book onuorah goes to heaven grin
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by ZAWs: 11:27am On Apr 22, 2017
Sleep well Pa'
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by femolii: 11:28am On Apr 22, 2017
R I P
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by OBIGS(m): 11:28am On Apr 22, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

RIP my mentor

Buhari

You will never go unpunished
take it easy bro
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by AngelicBeing: 11:29am On Apr 22, 2017
Keneking:
So Eze has died now...this government sef

How did Eze finish his school?
Was Eze ever married?
Did he marry from the East?
Rip to the guy sad

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Arabs999: 11:29am On Apr 22, 2017
Something must kill a man. Death is Death...
However, R.I.P to the veteran Author..
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by alorax2(f): 11:31am On Apr 22, 2017
One of the best books I read as a child, biko where can I get it and this other book where a couple gave birth to a,child with a conplete set of teeth and d child killed a leopard that comes to carry away children from his village. Cant remember d name though
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Tisham20(m): 11:32am On Apr 22, 2017
RIP sire
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Egalitarian1: 11:33am On Apr 22, 2017
Eiyaa! May perpetual light shine upon your soul and may the host of Saints cum Angels lead you to Paradise.
Meanwhile, if you didn't read Eze goes to School then, you are highly a kid
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Deilluminator(m): 11:35am On Apr 22, 2017
How sad! Knowledge is not heritable, he has gone with everything, only that he has immortalised himself through his works. He will continue to live as a memory in our hearts. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 22, 2017
RIP sir, i read your book... alot of ppl were inspired to study hard by eze goes to school.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by AreaFada2: 11:41am On Apr 22, 2017
RIP.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by sunneeh(m): 11:44am On Apr 22, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

RIP my mentor

Buhari

You will never go unpunished

Clown
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by ogbonti: 11:51am On Apr 22, 2017
RIP Sir

Famous quote from the book

.....Eze''s Uncle said, looking at Eze''s mother "if that boy grow up to be a bad boy, you will be held responsible" ..... at this time, Eze''s mother began to cry. Now she was feeling the impact of the the death of Eze''s father Okonkwo Adi. undecided

I read this book last 31 years ago!
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by durasome(m): 11:52am On Apr 22, 2017
May your soul rest in peace. I personally benefited from your work in your book eze goes to school, I really did enjoyed that book in my jss1.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by rossyc(f): 12:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
RIP Sir...Can't forget Eze goes to school
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by rossyc(f): 12:01pm On Apr 22, 2017
alorax2:
One of the best books I read as a child, biko where can I get it and this other book where a couple gave birth to a,child with a conplete set of teeth and d child killed a leopard that comes to carry away children from his village. Cant remember d name though
The bottled leopard
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by gidjah(m): 12:01pm On Apr 22, 2017
thesicilian:
RIP. His masterpiece EZE GOES TO SCHOOL was one of the first few story books I read in primary school, along with others like CHIKE AND THE RIVER, SUGAR GIRL, NO SUPPER FOR EZE, A LUCKY CHANCE, etc. I didn't even know he was still alive since.
yea true, very epic,his collections were just sound, we the 'far back sect' will miss his efforts on education restructuring . Every one from d old sch will always remember him as 'Eze goes to school'!

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by nkemdi89(f): 12:03pm On Apr 22, 2017
That book deserved a continuation, as young as I was then I cried when I remembered how the father was killed by leopard, imagine how he would have struggled to survive that attack and that particular bitterleaf soup ezeadi ate in the opening paragraph, I still salivate about it till now. That book always made me wish to stay in the east not in the town but the villages, fortunately destiny finally brought me to the east.

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Crusherdaniels(m): 12:07pm On Apr 22, 2017
writers are going
we are the only hope
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by queenitee(f): 12:07pm On Apr 22, 2017
I will never forget that book Eze goes to school, tho I don't rember much about it.Same goes for Simbi and Ali
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by SonofHim: 12:09pm On Apr 22, 2017
RIP to an icon.

Any primary school pupil that did not read 'Eze goes to school' is that one a pupil?

2 Likes

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by unbeatablerosak(f): 12:12pm On Apr 22, 2017
akinlex:
The death has been announced of renowned writer and author of Eze Goes to School, Onuorah Nzekwu.

The literary doyen passed away at the age of 89, Friday night. The real cause of his death is still unknown at the moment.

Pa Nzekwu became popular for his book entitled Eze Goes to School, written in 1963.

While commiserating with his family over the incident, Abdulahi said the late writer would forever be remembered for his literary works, which preached about the importance of education.

“Yes, it is true but I can’t confirm what actually the real cause of his death was; but it is a big loss to the Nigerian literary community.

“We would miss him dearly and we pray God to grant the literary icon eternal rest in his bosom,” he told our reporter.

When asked on what ANA is doing to help the aged and struggling writers, Abdulahi said the association needed to take census of those writers alive so as to make the necessary moves.

“Well, ANA is doing its best but we still need to take census of those icons alive. We can do more of cooperative programmes for them. We might not have the money but we still need to know them.

“For instance, we have a large portion of land in Mpape, Abuja for the association, the government can come in and build houses for those literary icons,” he added.

Born February 19, 1928 in Kafanchan, Kaduna State, Nzekwu was a writer who explored the internal conflicts inherent in the relationship of the educated Igbo to traditional Igbo culture.

Nzekwu’s first novel, Wand of Noble Wood (1961), portrays in moving terms the futility of a Western pragmatic approach to the problems created by an African’s traditional religious beliefs.

In 1963 he published a children’s book, Eze Goes to School (written with Michael Crowder), and his third novel, Highlife for Lizards, appeared in 1965.

He had worked as a teacher, civil servant and journalist, also wrote Wand of Noble Wood, Blade Among the Boys and other fictional and non-fictional works.

http://looknaija..com/2017/04/eze-goes-to-school-author-onuorah.html

Rest in peace man.

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Slickszoom(m): 12:31pm On Apr 22, 2017
His novel "Eze goes to school" was one of my fav in those early years. . continue to rest on PA
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by thesicilian: 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2017
Pavore9:

With these books you listed, you no be "today's​ meat"! grin We read Chike and the river in Primary 4.
Hahaha. "It hav tay!"
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by chelseaboi(m): 12:54pm On Apr 22, 2017
Eze goes to sch was epic...then eze goes to college was calculated....bottled leopard was a class.....chike and the river.....my best was (African night entertainment).... Eze goes to university.....they re all classic..

I CNT remb the name again...a boy I think Ade was sent to oxford to study cuz d mother wanted him to study aboard...he joined bad gang...the dad later died cuz of his irresponsible actions...the novel was in Yoruba settings....
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by chrisxxx(m): 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2017
I did not read 'Eze Goes To School' because of school work but for the attitude of our seniors then.
Whenever you disobeyed them and they are punishing you, you would hear 'Do you know when I read my Eze Goes To School?'
It was so common then to hear seniors asked that question. I decided to buy the book and read it so I could also ask such question authoritatively when it gets to my turn.

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by spencekat(m): 12:59pm On Apr 22, 2017
RIP to the literary icon.I over enjoyed reading 'Eze goes to school' those days
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Guestlander: 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
Na wah o. Buchi Emecheta also died.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 22, 2017
RIP. I still have Eze Goes To School in my book collections cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie / Finally; Wole Soyinka Confirms He Destroyed His Green Card. / Trapped By Passion (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.