Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Bride To Be - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bride To Be (19064 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It / A Bride For November By Rose Akpabio / The Child Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 1:52pm On May 21, 2017
The man had some nerve! If Carrie thought she was going to manipulate her into giving in by getting Jason to side with her, then her daughter was wrong.

“I hope you realize what you’ve just done!” Carrie shouted as she opened her door.

Still stroking Higgins, Gift ignored her.

“You’ve insulted Jason.”

“He deserved it.”

“Like hell.”

“Watch your language, young lady.” Thirty silent minutes passed while Gift cooled her temper. Carrie was apparently doing the same thing. A short while later, her bedroom door opened again and she walked out. She was pale and her eyes showed evidence of crying, but she appeared to have composed herself.

The same didn’t hold true for Gift. She was still furious. How dare Jason involve himself in her affairs!

“I’ve called Brad,” Carrie announced, opening the refrigerator. She stared at the contents, took out a cold pop and pulled back the tab. After taking one long drink, she turned to face Gift. “Brad said he’d tell his dad you’d be driving us to and from the dance.” Of all the things Gift might have expected, this wasn’t one. “Good,” she said, feeling only a little better.

“I…was hoping you’d be willing to split the duties. Let Brad’s father drive us there and you pick us up.” Gift mulled it over. That didn’t sound so unreasonable. She’d have a chance to meet the boy’s father when he came to get Carrie, and it wasn’t as if the two kids would be alone in the car—or at the dance.

“I…I’d be willing to agree to that.” Gift thought Carrie would be grateful or relieved; instead she broke into giant hiccuping sobs. Her daughter slumped in a kitchen chair and buried her face in her arms and wept as if she’d lost her best friend.

“Carrie.” Gift placed her hand on Carrie’s shoulder. “What’s wrong?” She raised her head and brushed the tears from her face, her shoulders heaving with the effort to stop crying. “You should never have said those things to Jason.”

“Carrie, he intruded in my affairs.”

“But I was the one who asked him to talk to you. If you’re going to be angry with anyone, it should be me, not him.” Gift realized Carrie didn’t understand the nuances of a male-female relationship. Frankly, she wasn’t that well acquainted with them herself. She’d admit that she’d reacted in anger, but it was justified. Jason had simply assumed too much.

“But Jason didn’t want to interfere,” Carrie sobbed. “It took me forever to get him to agree and…and he only did it because I was desperate.”

“He overstepped the bounds.” Gift tried to remain adamant.

“You made him leave without even bothering to listen.” Gift said nothing.

“I like Jason—and you do, too,” Carrie added unnecessarily. “He’s the best thing that’s ever happened to us. Higgins is alive because of him and…and he took us to meet his family. Saturday was the most fun day

I’ve ever had. It…it was like we belonged with Jason and his brothers.” Gift had felt the same way.

“Jason wasn’t minding your business, Mom, at least not the way you think. He…he was helping a friend. Me. And you hated him for that.”

“I don’t hate Jason.” Far from it. She was falling in love with him. “He’s the one who came up with the idea of Brad’s father driving one way and you driving the other. He…he suggested you chaperone the dance just so you’d feel comfortable about everything.” She drew in a shaky breath. “When I told him you’d need a date for the dance if you were going to be a chaperone, he said he’d take you. I mean,

Jason isn’t the kind of man who dances…but he’d be willing to do it, for me, because he’s my friend. And for you, too, so you’d be comfortable at the dance. And what did he get for being so nice?”

“My anger,” Gift whispered, feeling wretched.

“You kicked him out of the house, and I don’t think he’ll ever want to come back. I know I wouldn’t.” Gift sat down next to her daughter, feeling strangely like weeping herself.

“I wanted to go to the dance with Brad more than anything,” Carrie admitted, “but now I don’t care if I do or not.”

“Carrie, this isn’t the end of the world.”

“I really like Jason,” she said emphatically.

“When I asked him if he’d ask you out, I did it for selfish reasons, and I apologize for that…but I’m glad I did it. You’re happier when you’re with him, Mom. You don’t think

I notice, but I do. Jason makes you smile and laugh and forget how much you don’t like your job.”

Gift folded her arms around her middle. What Carrie said was true. It was as if her life had started all over again when Jason first kissed her. “I don’t care about the dance anymore,” Carrie murmured. “But I care what happens with you and Jason. Go to him, Mom. Tell him you’re sorry. Please.” Her daughter’s entreaty affected Gift more than any regrets she might feel about what she’d said and done. For one thing, she hadn’t realized h

2 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 1:53pm On May 21, 2017
how much Jason meant to her.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by bummybummy(f): 2:19pm On May 21, 2017
mhizgap:

if shez ya daughter would allow her have a bf at 16
nope but dia z a way to guide her nd explain tins to her instead of doing like boss
Re: Bride To Be by Shakyroh320(f): 4:26pm On May 21, 2017
bummybummy:
nope but dia z a way to guide her nd explain tins to her instead of doing like boss
yeah,u just have to train her well instead of being harsh,kip it coming ,more blessing
Re: Bride To Be by EbonyQueen001(f): 4:47pm On May 21, 2017
mhizgap:
EbonyQueen001,
... and those that wasn't mention pleases accept my sincere apology.

Wow! Thanks for the mention. I have been too lazy to check the mention page, hence my late reply and back seat on this story. Diving in to read.
I know it's gonna be superb.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:43pm On May 21, 2017
bummybummy:

My kinda person,

love that
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:44pm On May 21, 2017
Shakyroh320:
yeah,u just have to train her well instead of being harsh,kip it coming ,more blessing

Strong words

Thanks
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:46pm On May 21, 2017
EbonyQueen001:

Wow! Thanks for the mention. I have been too lazy to check the mention page, hence my late reply and back seat on this story. Diving in to read.
I know it's gonna be superb.

welcome abode dear,

I reserved your popcorn. Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:53pm On May 21, 2017
“Will you do it, Mom?”

It didn’t take Gift long to decide. “Yes,” she said. She would apologize, for not giving him the benefit of the doubt, for not being willing to listen to him and Carrie, but mostly for the rude way in which she’d told him to leave her apartment. It was the second time she’d had to apologize to this man.

“When?” Carrie asked.

“Soon,” Gift promised. The opportunity came the following morning. After walking Higgins, Gift was on her way to the office, crossing the parking lot. She’d spent a sleepless night composing what she intended to say to Jason. She’d wait until that evening, go to his apartment and say what needed to be said. She was halfway to her car when she heard her name. Her heart filled with dread when

she saw Jason jogging toward her.

“Hello,” she said, feeling wretched.

“I won’t keep you.” His eyes bore into hers.

“I want you to know I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. I should never have gotten involved. This is between you and Carrie, and I was out of line.”

“I should never have spoken to you the way I did.”

“You were angry and you had every right to be.”

“But you…Oh, Jason, I feel terrible.” He frowned. “Why should you?” “Carrie told me how you were willing to help chaperone the dance and…and I didn’t have the common decency to hear you out.”

“It’s probably for the best. I’m not much of a dancer.” Gift smiled up at him, knowing her heart shone in her eyes, and not caring.

“Why don’t you let me find that out for myself Friday night?”

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:53pm On May 21, 2017
“Will you do it, Mom?”

It didn’t take Gift long to decide. “Yes,” she said. She would apologize, for not giving him the benefit of the doubt, for not being willing to listen to him and Carrie, but mostly for the rude way in which she’d told him to leave her apartment. It was the second time she’d had to apologize to this man.

“When?” Carrie asked.

“Soon,” Gift promised. The opportunity came the following morning. After walking Higgins, Gift was on her way to the office, crossing the parking lot. She’d spent a sleepless night composing what she intended to say to Jason. She’d wait until that evening, go to his apartment and say what needed to be said. She was halfway to her car when she heard her name. Her heart filled with dread when

she saw Jason jogging toward her.

“Hello,” she said, feeling wretched.

“I won’t keep you.” His eyes bore into hers.

“I want you to know I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. I should never have gotten involved. This is between you and Carrie, and I was out of line.”

“I should never have spoken to you the way I did.”

“You were angry and you had every right to be.”

“But you…Oh, Jason, I feel terrible.” He frowned. “Why should you?” “Carrie told me how you were willing to help chaperone the dance and…and I didn’t have the common decency to hear you out.”

“It’s probably for the best. I’m not much of a dancer.” Gift smiled up at him, knowing her heart shone in her eyes, and not caring.

“Why don’t you let me find that out for myself Friday night?”

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:02pm On May 21, 2017
CHAPTER Eight
* smiley * * *

“You need to borrow a suit?” Rich asked, looking smugly amused as he led Jason to the walk-in closet in the huge master bedroom. The home had been built several years earlier, when Jamie was pregnant with Bethany. Rich himself had designed the sprawling L-shaped rambler that overlooked Puget Sound, and he was justifiably proud.

“Yes, I need to borrow a suit,” Jason muttered, not giving his brother the satisfaction of explaining. Already he regretted having volunteered to be a chaperone for this dance. No matter how hard he tried, he wasn’t going to be whirling around a dance floor as if he knew what he was doing. He’d probably make a fool of himself in front of Gift and a bunch of smart-aleck ninth-graders.

As an engineer, Rich was required to dress more formally on the job than Jason was. Jason owned a suit, but it was outdated. Maybe if he waited a few more years it would become fashionable again. If the truth be known, he wasn’t even sure when he’d last worn it. Sometime in college, he guessed. He’d buy another one if he thought he’d get any use out of it, but that didn’t seem likely.

“What do you need a suit for?” Rich asked outright.

“I wouldn’t be borrowing one if I’d known I was going to face an inquisition.” Rich chuckled, clearly enjoying Jason’s discomfort. “I just want to be sure you aren’t going to run off and marry Gift.

Mom would kill you if you pulled a stunt like that.” Jason snickered, hoping to give the impression that marriage was the farthest thing from his mind, which it was. Wasn’t it?

“Hey, don’t act like it couldn’t happen,” Rich said, pushing hangers aside as he sorted through several tailored jackets. “With our family’s history, it wouldn’t be unheard-of for you to elope.”

Jason couldn’t argue with that. It had all started with Taylor. A few years back, his sister had moved to Montana and within three months had married Russ Palmer. The decision to marry had apparently been impulsive—and it happened while they were chaperoning the high-school drill team in Reno. The deed was done by the time they bothered to contact any family. Jason frowned. Taylor had been a chaperone, too, and look where it had led. This high-school dance was beginning to sound more and more dangerous. Christy had married on the sly, too, again without telling anyone in the family. There were extenuating circumstances in her case, however. Well, sort of. His youngest sister had actually been engaged—to a lawyer, James —when she’d gone to Idaho with Cody and married him. Their marriage had caused quite a ruckus in the family, but eventually everything had been smoothed over. Anyway, Christy was much better suited to Cody than to James, although the attorney had remained a good family friend. Rich had followed suit, marrying Jamie with some idiotic idea of being a sperm donor for her baby.

Jason had stood up for his brother, but he’d known from the beginning that the two of them were in love. He’d predicted that this sperm donor business wouldn’t pan out, and he’d been right. Jamie had gotten pregnant, sooner than either of them had expected, and the process hadn’t involved any artificial insemination, either.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by bummybummy(f): 9:04pm On May 21, 2017
gift should embrace love from jason
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:09pm On May 21, 2017
Paul had been next. Diane, Paul’s first wife,
had died tragically, shortly after giving birth
to Kelsey. Her loss had sent the family
reeling. For six months, Paul had shunned
his family’s offers of help, attempting to
balance his duties at home with his job and
at the same time comfort his grieving
children, all preschoolers. He’d been proud
and angry. Leah, Diane’s sister, had
convinced him he couldn’t continue alone.

She’d given up her teaching position at the
college and moved in with Paul and the
children. Shortly afterward, they were
married. But once again, no one in the
family was informed of the ceremony.

The only single Manning left was Jason, and
he didn’t plan to get married. He’d decided
that years before. It was unfortunate that
his parents had been cheated out of putting
on a large wedding, but those were the
breaks. He wasn’t marching down any aisle
just to satisfy his mother’s need to work
with caterers and some florist friend she’d
known for years.

“So, Jase,” Rich said casually, breaking into
his thoughts. “How are things with you and
Gift?”
“Fine.”
“Fine?” Rich repeated, with that smug look
Jason found so irritating.

“You don’t need to concern yourself with my
affairs,” Jason said, resenting the way Rich
and Paul made his love life their business.

“Are you going to ask her to marry you?”
Almost in afterthought, Rich held up a well-
cut gray suit coat. The tailoring was
excellent and the material was top of the
line.

Jason ignored the question and reached for
the jacket, trying it on over his black T-shirt
with Seattle at Night silk-screened across the
front.
“What are your intentions toward
Gift?” Rich asked with a pensive frown.

He sounded oddly formal—and unusually
serious.

“My intentions are my own, but since you
asked,” Jason said, turning around to
admire his profile in the full-length mirror,

“I’ll tell you…. They’re dishonorable, as
always.” He tried to make a joke of it, laugh
off the attraction he’d been battling from
the moment he’d met Gift Weston over
a leaky faucet.
His joke, however, fell decidedly flat.

“Not this time, big brother.”
“What do you mean by that?” Jason
demanded. He didn’t like his brother sticking
his nose where it didn’t belong, but he
couldn’t help being curious about Rich’s
remark.

“You’re in love with her.”

“Is that right?” Jason returned flippantly.
“It’s the first time you’ve ever invited a
woman to watch you play softball.”
Rich made it sound as if that alone was
enough to force him into a shotgun
wedding. Jason refused to get into an
argument with his younger brother. It
wouldn’t do him any good. Just because
Rich and Jamie were so happy together, his
brother seemed to think he was an expert
on the subject of love and marriage. Jason
didn’t want to be the one to disillusion him.
Perhaps he did have some deep affection
for Gift, Jason told himself. He’d be the
first to admit he was strongly attracted to
her, but marriage? Out of the question.

This was a familiar argument, one he’d
worked through early in their relationship. It
had worried him then, but he’d been so
fascinated with her that he’d pushed his
apprehensions to the back of his mind,
deciding to take one day at a time.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:18pm On May 21, 2017
He’d face one hurdle, he decided, before he confronted another. For now, the obstacle was their physical relationship. When she trusted him enough to put aside her fears and allow him to make love to her, it would be time to reevaluate what was happening between them. But not yet.

“Are you going to let me borrow the suit or not?” Jason asked stiffly. “If I have to stand here and listen to a lecture, too, I’d rather go to the rental shop.” He half expected Rich to jerk the coat off his shoulders and send him on his way. Instead, his youngest brother grinned, as if he knew something Jason didn’t. It was another irritating habit of his.

“You’re welcome to keep the suit as long as you like,” Rich assured him. “You never know when you’re suddenly going to need one.” Friday evening came, and it took Jason a full half hour to knot his tie correctly. He was out of practice, and getting it just right frustrated him. He should’ve borrowed the clip-on variety, but he hadn’t thought of asking for one. No doubt Rich had plenty of each type. Surveying his reflection in the mirror, he barely recognized himself. He was tall, besting his brothers by an inch or more, his shoulders were wide and, if he had anything to be proud of physically, it was that his stomach had remained flat. Haphazard meals and baseball did that for a man. Gift probably wouldn’t recognize him, either. If memory served, it was the first time she’d gone anywhere with him when he wasn’t wearing a baseball cap. He brushed his hand along the side of his head, making sure his hair stayed flat. He carefully examined himself to see if he could find any gray hairs for a more distinguished look.

When he didn’t, he was actually disappointed. He checked his watch. If everything had gone according to schedule, Carrie would have been picked up fifteen minutes ago for a pre-dance buffet. Since the dance didn’t start for another two hours, Jason had suggested taking Gift out to dinner. He didn’t know what had gotten into him lately. He’d made reservations at an expensive restaurant, and ordered a fancy corsage to give her when they arrived. Normally, his idea of a night on the town included pizza, beer and a Mariners’ game. Drag an irresistible woman into his life, and before he knew it, he was forking out major bucks for dinner and flowers. The thing was, he’d come up with the idea on his own and was even excited about it, knowing how pleased Gift would be. He’d seen this happen with his friends—his brothers, too—but he would never have believed he’d fall such willing prey to a woman’s charms. It wouldn’t have happened with anyone but Gift. Of that, he was certain.

At exactly seven, he walked over to Gift apartment and rang the bell. She kept him waiting for several minutes before she opened the door—not a promising sign.

2 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:19pm On May 21, 2017
calebfem, welcome boss
Re: Bride To Be by Toyin223(f): 2:05pm On May 22, 2017
WELDONE
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:08pm On May 22, 2017
Toyin223:
WELDONE
Thanks
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:19pm On May 22, 2017
When she finally did come, Jason was about to complain. He was going to a lot of trouble for this blasted dance; the least she could do was be ready on time.

Whatever he’d intended to say, however, flew out of his mind when he saw Gift. For the longest moment of his life, he stood there immobile. This was Gift! She was…stunning. “I’m…sorry,” she said, sounding flustered. “I didn’t mean to keep you standing out here, but I’m having a problem with this dress.”

She was beautiful. The word didn’t begin to describe how breathtaking she looked. Her hair was done in a way he’d never seen before, swirled to one side, exposing the smooth skin of her cheek and her long, slender neck. Dangling gold earrings swung from her ears. Her eyes were a brighter blue than ever before, the color of the sky washed clean by a summer squall. Her dress was a paler shade of blue…Her dress…Jason’s gaze slid over the sleeveless dress with its tight bodice and flared skirt, and an invisible hand seemed to appear out of thin air and knock him senseless. “

Jason.” Her eyes implored him as she held one hand behind her back. “Is something wrong? I look terrible, don’t I? Don’t worry about hurting my feelings…This dress is too fancy, isn’t it?” It was all he could do to close his mouth. “You look…fabulous.” Which was the understatement of the century. Jason felt sorry that he wasn’t more sophisticated and urbane. If he had been, he might have told her how exquisite she was. He might have found the words to say he’d gladly rework the knot in his tie for another hour if it meant he could spend the evening with her. For the first time since he’d donned the suit jacket, he felt no remorse for volunteering to escort Gift to her daughter’s dance. “I can’t get the zipper all the way up,” Gift explained. “I was so busy helping Carrie get ready before Brad and his father arrived that I…I didn’t get dressed myself, and now I can’t reach the zipper. Would you mind?” She presented him with her back and it was all Jason could do to pull the tab up instead of down. If he went on instinct he’d have had her out of that dress, in his arms and on the way to the bedroom. He couldn’t recall a time he’d wanted a woman more than he did Gift Weston right then and there. “Jason?” She glanced over her shoulder when he delayed. His hand felt clammy, and at first his fingers refused to cooperate, but with some effort he managed to do as she asked, sliding the zipper up her back. “Thank you,” she said. “You can’t imagine what a madhouse it’s been around here,” she went on. “Carrie was so nervous. She looked so grown-up. I can’t believe my baby isn’t a baby anymore.” Jason returned her smile. “My mother felt the same way when Christy—my sister—attended her first big dance.” Even now, Jason was having trouble forming coherent sentences.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:25pm On May 22, 2017
“The dress isn’t mine,” she told him as she searched for her evening bag, wandering from one room to the next until she located it. “I borrowed it from one of my friends at the office…It’s too close to the end of the month to go out and buy one.” She sighed, sounding breathless. “Even if I’d had the extra money, I doubt I would’ve been able to find one at the last minute. I’d feel dreadful if something happened to Cheryl’s dress.”

“I borrowed the suit from my brother.” Maintaining an intelligible conversation, he discovered, wasn’t as much of a problem as keeping his eyes off her. Gift drew in a deep, steadying breath. “I know it’s silly, but I’m as nervous as Carrie.” He smiled, trying to reassure her. “The last dance I attended was in college,” she said. “I…I don’t know if I can dance anymore.” “I’m not exactly light on my feet, Gift,” Jason felt obliged to remind her. He’d warned her earlier, but he doubted she’d taken him seriously. “

Do you think we should practice?” she asked. She was gazing up at him with wide eyes. Jason would’ve given everything he owned to find out if she was feeling anything close to the emotional havoc he was. “Practice?” he echoed. “That’s an idea.” He swallowed, wondering exactly what he was inviting. Trouble with a capital T, considering the way his body was reacting. Gift set aside her evening bag and walked into his embrace. “I’m afraid I’m not going to be very good at this,” she murmured. “Don’t worry. Hey, as far as I’m concerned, those ninth-graders are going to dance circles around us anyway.” Gift’s laugh sounded sweet and soft, and Jason’s heart constricted. Could this be love? This pleasure he felt in doing small things for her —like the dinner and flowers? This need to hold her in his arms? This desire to be with her and her alone?

The feel of Gift’s body against his was the purest form of torture he’d ever experienced. She fit in his arms as though she belonged there. Had always belonged there. He tried to ignore how right it felt. And couldn’t. He tried to ignore the fragrance of wildflowers that whispered through her hair whenever she moved her head. And didn’t. He tried, but failed. Everything went fairly well for the first few minutes. At least he wasn’t stepping on her feet. Then Jason realized their feet weren’t moving and they were staring at each other more than they were dancing. Gazing at each other with starry- eyed wonder. He shifted his hand upward, wanting to lessen the feeling of intimacy, but his fingers inadvertently grazed the skin of her upper back. Either he kissed her now or he’d regret it the rest of the night. Either he continued the pretense or confessed openly to how vulnerable she made him feel.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:33pm On May 22, 2017
“The dress isn’t mine,” she told him as she searched for her evening bag, wandering from one room to the next until she located it. “I borrowed it from one of my friends at the office…It’s too close to the end of the month to go out and buy one.” She sighed, sounding breathless. “Even if I’d had the extra money, I doubt I would’ve been able to find one at the last minute. I’d feel dreadful if something happened to Cheryl’s dress.”

“I borrowed the suit from my brother.” Maintaining an intelligible conversation, he discovered, wasn’t as much of a problem as keeping his eyes off her. Gift drew in a deep, steadying breath. “I know it’s silly, but I’m as nervous as Carrie.” He smiled, trying to reassure her. “The last dance I attended was in college,” she said. “I…I don’t know if I can dance anymore.” “I’m not exactly light on my feet Gift,” Jason felt obliged to remind her. He’d warned her earlier, but he doubted she’d taken him seriously. “Do you think we should practice?” she asked.

She was gazing up at him with wide eyes. Jason would’ve given everything he owned to find out if she was feeling anything close to the emotional havoc he was. “Practice?” he echoed. “That’s an idea.” He swallowed, wondering exactly what he was inviting. Trouble with a capital T, considering the way his body was reacting.

Gift set aside her evening bag and walked into his embrace. “I’m afraid I’m not going to be very good at this,” she murmured. “Don’t worry. Hey, as far as I’m concerned, those ninth-graders are going to dance circles around us anyway.” Gift’s laugh sounded sweet and soft, and Jason’s heart constricted. Could this be love? This pleasure he felt in doing small things for her —like the dinner and flowers? This need to hold her in his arms? This desire to be with her and her alone? The feel of Gift’s body against his was the purest form of torture he’d ever experienced. She fit in his arms as though she belonged there. Had always belonged there. He tried to ignore how right it felt. And couldn’t.

He tried to ignore the fragrance of wildflowers that whispered through her hair whenever she moved her head. And didn’t. He tried, but failed. Everything went fairly well for the first few minutes. At least he wasn’t stepping on her feet. Then Jason realized their feet weren’t moving and they were staring at each other more than they were dancing. Gazing at each other with starry- eyed wonder. He shifted his hand upward, wanting to lessen the feeling of intimacy, but his fingers inadvertently grazed the skin of her upper back. Either he kissed her now or he’d regret it the rest of the night. Either he continued the pretense or confessed openly to how vulnerable she made him feel.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:39pm On May 22, 2017
CHAPTER Nine

Jason Manning was a romantic. Beneath that I- don’t-give-a-damn attitude was a tenderness and warmth that left Gift feeling like a starry-eyed adolescent. The candlelight dinner at an elegant cliffside restaurant had been wonderful. There he’d given her a fragrant rosebud corsage that was so lovely, it had brought tears to her eyes. The dance had been the best part of their evening. They’d had a delightful time, despite being surrounded by ninth-graders and forced to endure an earsplitting mixture of songs.

Jason and Gift had discovered early on that they weren’t going to be able to dance to rap music. After a number of hilarious attempts, they’d given up. Several of their efforts had left Gift laughing so hard, her ribs ached. Jason had been equally amused, and after their unsuccessful attempts to blend in with the kids, he’d reached for Gift, guiding her into his arms. She’d draped her wrists loosely around his neck and he placed his hands on her hips. Then they’d invented their own dance…

3 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by EvaJael(f): 8:59pm On May 22, 2017
Jason and Gift should do fast na...I can't wait for them to be together. Kudos mhizgap
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 4:15pm On May 24, 2017
EvaJael:
Jason and Gift should do fast na...I can't wait for them to be together. Kudos mhizgap

Thanks love
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 4:31pm On May 24, 2017
After the dance, while Carrie and Brad attended the nearby party, Gift and Jason sat outside in the schoolyard, gazing at the stars, laughing and kissing. Not the passionate, soul-deep kisses of earlier, but tender, sweet ones. By the end of the evening the barriers surrounding her heart had started to crumble.

Gift and Carrie came home at a respectable hour, their heads filled with romance. With barely a word, they wandered off to bed, passing each other like sleepwalkers in the hall. Several hours later, Gift, unable to sleep, wrapped her memories around her like a cloak. Not since her own schooldays had she been more at ease with a man. In the space of one evening, she’d come to realize—without doubt, fear or regret—that she was deeply in love with Jason Manning.

After an hour of savoring every moment, she found she could finally sleep, knowing she’d be with him the next morning when he picked her up for the game. “You ready, Mom?” Carrie called happily from the kitchen. It was shortly after ten. “Jason’ll be here any minute.” Gift sucked in her stomach and zipped up her skinny jeans. Then she reached for a clean sweatshirt and tossed it over her head. Jason was already in the kitchen, checking the contents of the picnic basket, when she sauntered in from her bedroom. Her heart did a little dance when she saw him. “Good morning.” She felt shy, and couldn’t explain it. He turned around and their eyes met before he sent her a wide smile. “’Morning.”

Gift opened the refrigerator and withdrew a six-pack of diet soda to add to the cooler. “Is that all I get—just a friendly ‘good morning’?” he asked, keeping his voice low so Carrie wouldn’t hear. “What else do you want?” “You should know the answer to that. I swear, Gift, leaving you last night was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.” He slipped his arms around her waist and nuzzled his face in the slope of her neck. Gift twisted around and stared up at him. “It was?”

“The only thing that got me through it was knowing I’d be with you again this morning.” He lowered his mouth to hers, and she parted her lips. The kiss was slow and deep and hot.

“Honestly, you two are getting ridiculous,” Carrie said from behind Gift. “Even Higgins thinks so.” At the last minute, Carrie had convinced her they should bring the dog. Gift wasn’t sure he was healed enough to run around the park, but Carrie had phoned Jason and he’d felt it would be all right.

“You ready?” Jason asked, picking up the wicker basket, his hand around Gift’s waist as though, even now, it was difficult to let her go.

“I’ve been ready for the last ten minutes,” Carrie said pointedly, holding Higgins’s leash and leading him to Jason’s car. On the ride across town, Jason put on a CD and the three of them sang along with Bon Jovi. But as they pulled into the massive parking lot, Jason’s voice stopped abruptly.

“What’s wrong?” Gift asked.

“Nothing for you to worry about.” He tried to reassure her with a smile, but she wasn’t so easily fooled. She glanced around, wondering what could possibly be amiss. She couldn’t imagine, unless it was a vehicle he happened to recognize.

“I’m going to take Higgins for a walk,” Carrie announced as soon as she’d climbed out of the backseat. Gift knew her daughter was eager to show off the dog to Ryan, Ronnie and the other children. When Jason was opening the trunk of his car and removing his softball equipment, Gift spoke.

“Is there someone here you’d rather I not meet? An old girlfriend, a former lover?” He turned and his gaze met hers. He smiled, a smile that started with his eyes and worked its way down to his mouth.

“Nothing quite so dramatic. My parents are here.”

“I see,” she said. “You’d rather I wasn’t with you.”

“No,” he said vehemently, and she realized he wanted her with him as much as she wanted to be. A rugged sigh followed his response. “I don’t like the idea of you having to endure another inquisition.”

“I’m a big girl.”

“You don’t know my mother.”

“I’d like to, though,” Gift assured him. She couldn’t help thinking Jason’s parents must be exceptional people, to have raised such a wonderful family. Before meeting the Manning clan, she’d known so little of what it meant to be part of a family, one in which everyone supported and encouraged one another. Where joys were shared and grief divided. All her life, Gift had been on the outside looking in, yearning for that special bond.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 4:49pm On May 24, 2017
“They’re going to drive you crazy with questions,” he said grimly.

“Don’t worry about it. I know how to be evasive. You forget, I’m the mother of a teenage daughter.” Jason’s laugh was automatic. He grinned over at her, tossed a baseball bat over one shoulder and reached for her hand, linking their fingers. Linking them in a way that would dissolve any doubts. Gift’s heart sang with a joy that radiated from her heart. They strolled casually, hand in hand, across the freshly mowed lawn. Jason’s steps slowed as they approached the playing field. Gift glanced up to find his eyes on her.

“I just pray I can keep from hitting a home run,” he whispered. Gift laughed as they walked toward the older couple talking with Paul and Rich. Jason made the introductions and Gift smiled warmly and held her hand out to his parents.

“I’ve been looking forward to meeting you,” she said confidently. “After getting to know Jason and his brothers, I can’t help thinking you two must be very special people.” Jason waited a restless twenty-four hours for the summons. It arrived Sunday morning, disguised as an invitation to dinner at his parents’ house that same evening. Jason, however, wasn’t fooled. His mother intended to feed him, but he knew he’d be obliged to sing for his supper.

He showed up promptly at six and was pleased to see that his mother had gone to the trouble of preparing all his favorites. Homemade rolls hot from the oven. Crispy fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh-picked peas. A molded gelatin salad rested in the center of the dining-room table.

Jason had always been a meat-and-potatoes man, unless he had to cook for himself, which unfortunately he did most evenings. His eating habits were atrocious and he knew it. A homemade dinner like this was a rare treat.

“We don’t see nearly enough of you,” his mother said, as the three of them sat down at the table. Jason noted that she’d set out her best china and silverware, as well as linen napkins and a matching tablecloth. This was going to be a heavy-duty interrogation. And it didn’t look as if he had much chance of escaping before his mother ferreted out the information she wanted.

His father handed him the platter of chicken and Jason thought he might have read sympathy in his eyes. “Generally, when your brothers are here for dinner, I get so involved with the grandchildren,” his mother said conversationally. “You and I don’t have much of a chance to talk.”

“We talk,” Jason said, reaching for the rolls and adding three to his plate, along with a thick slab of butter and a spoonful of strawberry preserves. His mother would have to wait for her information while he enjoyed his dinner.

“Gravy, son?” “Thanks, Dad.” A look of understanding passed between them. “I hardly know what’s going on in your life these days,” his mother continued, undaunted. “I haven’t seen you in a month of Sundays.” “That’s not true, Elizabeth. Jason was over two weeks ago. Now, let the boy eat. You can drill him about Gift later.” His father was nothing if not direct. His mother didn’t even pretend to be affronted; she simply sighed and nodded. “If you insist.” “I do,” his father muttered, ladling gravy over a modest pile of mashed potatoes. He set the gravy boat aside and shook his head. “I don’t understand you, Elizabeth. You’ve been half starving me for months, claiming we’ve got to start eating healthier. I’ve been eating salads and fish and broiled chicken. Now this. I’m beginning to feel like it’s my last dinner before facing the executioner.” “This is Jason’s favorite dinner!” Elizabeth declared righteously. “Don’t be fooled, son,” Eric Manning said, his elbows on the table. “Your mother’s after something big this time.” “Eric!” “Sorry, dear,” Jason’s father said contritely, then winked at him. If his mouth hadn’t been full of homemade bread, Jason would have laughed. His mother was in quite a mood. His father, too, but he was well aware of the love they shared. They had the kind of relationship he’d always hoped to have with a woman himself. For the first time in his life, he felt that might be possible. They ate in relative silence with short discourses from Jason as he answered their questions about the veterinary hospital and his practice. He noticed how carefully his mother steered away from the subject of Gift and his social life. No sooner had Jason and his father cleared the table than his mother brought out a deep-dish apple pie. Even the dessert was Jason’s favorite. While she dished up heaping bowlfuls and added ice cream, his father poured coffee. “Now, Eric?” she asked, looking expectantly toward her husband. “If you insist.” Jason glanced from h

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 5:17pm On May 24, 2017
“If you insist.”

Jason glanced from his mother to his father,
realizing his reprieve was about to end.

“I most certainly do. Jason,” she said,
shifting her attention to him, “as you
probably know, your father and I are
curious about you and Gift. Very
curious.”

“Yeah, I had that impression.”

“We both liked her very much.”

“She’s a likable person,” Jason said.

“How’d you meet her?”
He finished his pie, tipping the bowl on its
side and spooning up the last of the melted
ice cream. When he was convinced he’d
gotten every drop, he wiped his mouth with
the napkin, set it aside and reached for his
coffee.

“She lives in the apartment complex.”

“Widowed?

“Divorced.” He wasn’t going to volunteer any
more information than necessary.

“Are you in love with her?”
His mother was going for the jugular. Jason
supposed she was entitled to the truth,
since she’d gone to so much trouble with
this dinner.

“Yes.” The reaction he received was
definitely satisfying. His mother’s eyes grew
huge, and she glanced excitedly at his
father.

“I thought as much,” she murmured.

“It’s obvious the boy’s in love, Elizabeth. I
told you so, didn’t I?”

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 5:27pm On May 24, 2017
“But it makes all the difference in the world that he’s willing to admit it himself.”

“Gift means a lot to me,” Jason added without hesitation.

“Are you going to marry her?” His mother’s voice had a breathless, hopeful quality. Jason sipped his coffee. He was in love with Gift, no question. He woke in the morning and his first thoughts were of her. When he went to bed at night, she was there in his mind, following him into sleep. His whole day was focused on when he’d see her again. Kiss her again. “Jason?” his mother urged.

“Yes, I’m sure I’ll eventually marry Gift.” “Hot damn.” His father slapped the table. “Oh, Jason, I couldn’t be happier.” His mother dabbed the corners of her eyes with a napkin. “I’m so pleased,” she said with a sniffle, reaching for her husband’s hand.

“I’m happy you two are so happy.” Jason hadn’t talked about marriage with Gift yet, but he’d do that in due course. They were still beginning to know each other, feel comfortable together. By next summer at just about this time, they’d be ready to take such a monumental step.

“Now this is important, son,” his father said, his eyes serious. “Your mother and I want your word that you’re not going to do what your sisters and Rich and Paul did. In other words, don’t marry Gift without the family being there.” Elizabeth backed her husband up.

“I’ve waited all these years for a family wedding and I refuse to be cheated out of my last chance. Do you understand me, Jason?”

“Don’t worry,” Jason said calmly. “When Gift and I get married, we’ll do it up big, just for you. The whole nine yards.”

“A reception, with a dinner and dance?” His mother’s eyes implored him.

“As long as Gift agrees, and I’m sure she will. She enjoys that sort of thing.”

“But will she mind…my helping with the arrangements?” Jason shrugged. “My guess is she’d welcome it. She doesn’t have any family of her own, you know.”

“Personally, I don’t care if your mother has her hand in the arrangements or not,” his father muttered. “I just want to be sure you aren’t going to marry Gift behind our backs.”

“I already promised I wouldn’t.” Still, given their family’s history, Jason could understand his parents’ skepticism.

“So I have your word on this?” his mother asked anxiously.

“My word of honor. Only…”

“Only what?” His mother looked concerned.

“Nothing, Mom. Don’t worry about it.”

“What is it?” she demanded.

“Well, I was wondering…Once Gift and I decide to marry, would you show her how to make fried chicken like yours?” It wasn’t fair to bother Jason with her problems, but there wasn’t anyone she trusted more, anyone’s opinion she valued as much. Her day at the office had been one of the worst ever. Her boss, Mr. Ward, had been unreasonable and demanding in the past, but his abuse that afternoon had reached an all-time high. He’d shouted at her, called her incompetent, belittled her. And it had been over something that was completely out of her control. A client had left the agency due to a problem with accounting, not anything Gift had done, yet she’d taken the brunt of Mr. Ward’s anger. Unfortunately the insurance agency wasn’t large enough to have a Human Resources department, so there was no one to complain to, no recourse to speak of.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 5:37pm On May 24, 2017
It wasn’t the first time and it wouldn’t be the last. For three years she’d been employed as an executive assistant at the insurance agency. In the beginning she’d enjoyed her job and thrived on the challenge. Then, six months ago, Mr. Beatty, her original boss, had retired, and she’d found his replacement to be the worst kind of supervisor. She’d made her decision earlier that afternoon, prepared her letter of resignation and placed it on Mr. Ward’s desk before leaving the office. Although she’d felt confident when she left work, she was vacillating now, uncertain that she’d made the right decision. It always seemed to be like this.

She’d become indignant, decide to leave, and later, after her anger had cooled, she’d change her mind. Mr. Ward would seem repentant, try to convince her that his outbursts weren’t personal; they were just his way. She’d start to believe him, at least until the next time. Then it occurred to her. What kind of woman would allow a man to verbally abuse her like that? What kind of woman allowed herself to be swayed by cheap talk and empty promises? The kind of woman who’d stayed married to Tom Weston for as long as she had, that was who.

She needed a sounding board, someone who’d listen to her frustration and doubts without casting judgment, without anger. Someone whose self-esteem was strong enough to accept her decisions whether she took his advice or not. Someone like Jason Manning. Jason answered the phone immediately, sounding delighted to hear from her.

“I…I had a crummy day,” she said when he asked. “Do you…would you go for a walk with me?” She considered bringing Higgins, but he was curled up with Carrie on the sofa.

“I’ll be right over.” As Gift left, Carrie was talking on the phone with Brad. She hadn’t told her daughter about quitting her job, although she was sure Carrie would cheer her decision. “Hello,” Jason said, kissing her lightly on the lips when she stepped out the door. Gift closed her eyes. They joined hands and walked in the direction of the community park several blocks over. The evening was beautiful. The fragrance of rhododendrons filled the evening air, mingling with the scent of blooming azaleas. Birds chirped and several people were getting a start on their yard work. “I…did something I’m not positive I should have done,” she said, keeping her eyes lowered. “Was it illegal?” The question made her smile. “No.” “Then why look so grave?” “Well…” “Do you want to tell me about it?” She nodded, grateful they’d arrived at the park. Jason steered her toward an unoccupied bench and they sat down, his hand still holding hers. “I…I don’t get along with my boss. I’m good at my job—at least I used to be. But now… Mr. Ward makes unreasonable demands and takes out his frustration on whoever’s close at hand. Unfortunately most of the time that’s me.” “It doesn’t seem like a healthy atmosphere to be working in.” “It isn’t.” Gift wasn’t the only employee who felt unhappy. Cheryl was on the verge of giving her notice, too, and so were a couple of the others. It wouldn’t surprise Gift if half the office staff left with her. “Then you should quit.” He made it sound so straightforward. “I’ve never been a quitter. It’s one of the reasons the divorce was so difficult for me. I —” She stopped abruptly. She hadn’t meant to drag her marriage into this, lay it out for Jason to examine…yet, perhaps it was time. “Go on,” he urged. Gift inhaled deeply, gathering her resolve. “I wrote my two-weeks’ notice this afternoon and left it on Mr. Ward’s desk and now…now I’m having second thoughts.” “Why? Do you want to continue working at the agency?” “No.” “Are you afraid you won’t be able to find another job?” “Not particularly—there’s always a high demand for executive assistants. It’s just…I know what’s going to happen in the morning. Mr. Ward will arrive and read my letter and call me into his office.

He’ll apologize the way he always does. He seems to know exactly what to say, and when he’s through with the apology, he’ll offer me a token raise.”

“It’d be nice if he threw in a bouquet of flowers.” “He might. He has before.” “Are you going to be swayed by that?” “No-o.” Her voice trembled and she shut her eyes to hold back the tears that burned. “It’s so much like my marriage.” “Having to deal with an angry unreasonable man?” “Yes…but more than that. Mr. Ward treats me the same way Tom did, and I swore…I promised myself I’d never allow another human being to do the things he did to me. And yet I take it, day after day, and I hate m

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 5:43pm On May 24, 2017
I hate
myself for it.”

Jason’s arm was around her now, hugging
her close as if he wanted to absorb her pain.
She was thankful he wasn’t kissing her; she
couldn’t have endured that just then.

“I feel so angry when I let someone
manipulate me. I want so badly to believe
that things will change…that they’ll get
better. But they never do. Sooner or later Mr.
Ward will go back to doing exactly what he’s
always done…and I’ll realize I’ve let myself be
controlled again. I can’t seem to deal with
the truth…. I guess it’s easier to deny
everything than face the reality. Why is truth
so painful?”

Jason waited a few minutes, his arm about
her calm and comforting. “Is it your boss
you’re talking about or your ex-husband?”

“Both.” Gift raised her head and wiped
the tears from her eyes before they had a
chance to fall. “Tom…had an affair. I knew it
for months but…I pretended I didn’t. I made
believe we were happy and in love, while
doing everything I could to win him back.
But it wasn’t enough…Now I know nothing
would have been enough.”

Jason didn’t interrupt her with questions;
once again she was grateful. The effort not
to weep had produced a lump in her throat,
and talking was almost painful.

She
hesitated, head still lowered.
Jason’s mouth brushed her hair. “

Your
husband was a fool, Gift.”
She didn’t respond; she couldn’t. Jason
didn’t know the full story, didn’t understand
that there’d been a reason Tom had turned
to another woman. Any healthy male would
have, or so her ex-husband had vehemently
assured her time and again.

“I’m stubborn and hardheaded,” she said,
her voice cracking. “I don’t know when to
let go and…so I hold on, no matter how
painful…or damaging.”

“I can’t tell you what to do,” Jason said after
a thoughtful moment, “but don’t judge
yourself so harshly. Some people know
exactly what to say to get what they want.

Everyone needs to hear they’re important,
that they’re loved and appreciated. But those
are only words, and talk is cheap. You got
out of your marriage at the right time and
—”

“No,” she sobbed, “I didn’t…. I didn’t want
out of the marriage, don’t you see? It was
Tom who asked for the divorce, Tom who
forced everything into the open. I would’ve
gone on pretending forever if he hadn’t. I
won’t do it again. I won’t! I’m quitting my
job, Jason. I’m walking out two weeks from
now and I won’t look back. I swear to you, I
won’t look back.”

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by Toyin223(f): 9:18pm On May 24, 2017
Interesting
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:35pm On May 24, 2017
Toyin223:
Interesting
As your Dp
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:44pm On May 24, 2017
There was a message from his mother when he returned to his apartment. His mind was heavy with everything he’d learned about Gift’s marriage and he contemplated waiting to return his mother’s call, but she’d sounded so excited. Sighing, he reached for the phone. His mother answered on the first ring.

“Jason, I’m so glad you called! I have so much to tell you. I talked to Taylor and Christy and they’ve both agreed to come.”

“Come?”

“You can’t imagine what a day I’ve had,” his mother continued, her voice animated. “I called Barbara Johnson, you remember Barbara, my friend who owns the floral shop, don’t you? We went to high school together a thousand years ago.”

“Mom…”

“Let me finish.” With barely a pause to breathe, she went on, “Barbara was the one who got things started. She suggested we contact the yacht club right away and book a date for the reception. They’re booked at least a year in advance. A year, I told myself. I know you, Jason, and when you’re ready to do something, you don’t want to wait an entire year. Barbara was right. The earliest date was August the year after next. I can tell you, I was shocked. I had no idea we’d need to book the reception so early.”

“Reception? What reception?” Jason was starting to get a frightening premonition. His mother ignored his question.

“That’s when I learned there’d been a cancellation in July. This July! I couldn’t believe our luck. Naturally I booked it that very instant. Then I contacted the caterers and, as luck would have it, they agreed to do the dinner, although it’s only three weeks’ notice. Three weeks, Jason. Three weeks. It sounds crazy to even attempt something of this magnitude, but we’re going to pull it off without a hitch.”

Jason’s vague premonition was beginning to solidify. “Mom, what are you talking about?” he asked with growing anxiety. Once again his mother disregarded his question. “That’s when I phoned Taylor and Christy. They both called back to say they’re coming. They’ve already made their plane reservations. Russ is coming, and Mandy, too. Remember Mandy, Russ’s sister? She’s in college now, you know.” “Coming? To what, Mother?” Jason demanded. “Why, Jason, I’ve spent the day making the arrangements for your wedding to Gift. What else would I be talking about, for heaven’s sake?”

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Killer Leggings / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.