Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,140 members, 7,821,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) (49675 Views)

Man Breaks Ooni Ogunwusi's Gates, Rams Into Ooni Palace / Ooni Ogunwusi And Silekunola Moronke Naomi's First Outing (Picture) / Oba Akiolu Arrives For Fashola's Photographic Foundation Ceremony In Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Slurity(m): 8:23am On Apr 26, 2017
Why blame Oba of Lagos for this Display of character now? its just like condemning an albino because of its colour, is it the fault of the albino? A true lagosian is always rude, proud, and mannerless, so if the king exhibit the trait why noise?

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Saintmary(f): 8:25am On Apr 26, 2017
sCun:

Ooni is a rare Christian traditional ruler in Yoruba land. Traditional seats are usually reservedfor muslims. That is why he's getting this treatment
good point, the tides are changing though.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by driand(m): 8:32am On Apr 26, 2017
Let the wretches fight it out grin
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Saintmary(f): 8:33am On Apr 26, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

This is wat u get when you abuse office of the Ooni.
Ooni of ife, as the custodian of the yoruba race is not supposed to be roaming the streets up and down, but u see dis young chap carry the crown to comedy shows, telling us he's a joke. Even new oba of benin wey dey first go ife during the first days of his reign did not go, when d ooni wont sit in his palace, be doing yahoo-yahoo oba about.
He only got what was coming all along, and expect many more obas and baales to disrespect him.

Oh, and people, fyi, oba of lagos kingship does not answer to the ooni, he has more link to benin than yoruba, so NOTHING, i repeat, NOTHING THE OONI CAN DO TO HIM.
half truth
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Saintmary(f): 8:37am On Apr 26, 2017
Let's just assume the Oba of Lagos is suffering from PTSD

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by bakynes(m): 8:37am On Apr 26, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Do we need to go back into history on this? The original title of the oba of lagos is ELEKO, before westerners and other factors changed it to Oba.
You see, awori and ijebu are the lagosians, especially the aworis but they dont have one stable king because they were always migrating, trying to find the most stable location around the rivers and lagoon of the area we now know as lagos. But the benin kingdon was expanding into the southwest and found lagos as a good settlement place to launch attack, hence they called d place EKO, meaning where we gather. The warrior oba of benin was the fist ruler of eko after conquering the land but he had to put another to govern and return to his benin kingdom where he is the spiritual head (because, barring any trouble needing his attention outside the kingdom he stays in his palace), hence the title ELEKO of EKO.
But the western world had contact, slave trade, treachery, jazz and you know the rest
Oba Ado was in fact the first Oba of Lagos placed there by the Oba of Benin and he paid tribute and taxes to the Benin Empire. What I am just trying to say is that the Oba of Lagos is occupied by an Awori King and not by a Benin person. Aworis migrated from Ife to that farm settlement named Eko by the Oba of Benin.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by maclatunji: 8:37am On Apr 26, 2017
izzou:
grin
I am not Yoruba but I heard he ain't a first class king sef

And he's always in the news for the wrong reasons

I actually blame the Ooni for this. He should have just gone to his seat straight. Sometimes, forming familiarity dey bring insult

And you cannot do your own research? Every state has first class kings recognized by the government.

He is one of those in Lagos.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by emi14: 8:44am On Apr 26, 2017
bongo007:
When two elephant fight...dis Ooni is every were I believe datz why he is losing his respect, he can never stay in his palace..davido will be doing show u will see him dere even night of a thousand laugh Ooni dey go..d king is just too every were 4 my liking. Why people no go disrespect you..if u wan see Oba go to his palace but if u wan see Ooni go show or party..i advice him to be scares to avoid seefinish #myopinion

You have a point. But how old is the ooni? This is 21st centuries obas/oonis. They are in USA and Europe more than you and I. They have young and new generation wives who want to enjoy , explore and exploits.The ooni of today have Armani, Louis Vuitton and Hugo boss unlike their predecessors. These also made them less fetish. Allow them.

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by izzou(m): 8:45am On Apr 26, 2017
maclatunji:

And you cannot do your own research? Every state has first class kings recognized by the government.

He is one of those in Lagos.

We are talking of Yoruba land, Mr Know it all

You can't compare the Obi of Onitsha with a king in Ebonyi, just because they are from different states

Even the Nigerian constitution recognizes some thrones over others

Please always read to understand. I beg you

The Ooni and Oba of Lagos have different ranks in the Yoruba Kingdom

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by maclatunji: 8:48am On Apr 26, 2017
izzou:

We are talking of Yoruba land, Mr Know it all

You can't compare the Obi of Onitsha with a king in Ebonyi, just because they are from different states

Even the Nigerian constitution recognizes some thrones over others

Please always read to understand. I beg you

The Ooni and Oba of Lagos have different ranks in the Yoruba Kingdom

This is different from saying the Oba of Lagos is not a 1st Class King. You did not create the concept and you should not use it wrongly, every state has 1st class, 2nd class and 3rd class Kings.

Stop extending your show of ignorance by arguing.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Kaybaba5(m): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2017
OONI OF IFE IS A PARAMOUNT RULER OF THE YORUBAS.........

OBA RILIWAN NEEDS TO APOLOGISE

2 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by bigtt76(f): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2017
The ooni sef too de waka upandan ....to me he's made the throne look too simple angry He should be like the Oba of Benin who is rarely seen going upandan undecided
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by enemmo(f): 8:55am On Apr 26, 2017
pesinfada:
Oba akiolu is an illiterate oba

I would have thought so also.

If only I didn't remember he was once a commissioner of police.

Sigh..
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Adebowale89(m): 8:55am On Apr 26, 2017
whatever differences they had, they shud try and reconcile that

they shouldn't give all these grown up people with small brain to open their odour mouth on what's far beyond their comprehension

Yoruba are together, they shouldn't bring any unnecessary enemity among themselves
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by samuk: 8:56am On Apr 26, 2017
Historically the Ooni was never an Oba but the chief priest of Ododuwa. All desendants of past Oonis were ment to be chief priest to the numerous shrines in Ile-Efe. It was the politicians of old western region in their quest to forge a common yoruba unity that elevated the the Ooni to an Oba, so rather than the Ooni being the chief priest to the descendants of Ododuwa ( current first class yoruba Obas) he was elevated above them, most of the Obas have never accepted this, that is why the Oba of Lagos, the Awujale of Ijebu, the Alaafi of Oyo and numerous others that know their history have never accepted the Ooni's superiority because it was the creation of the old western region politicians. This new Ooni know this hence the reason he is all over the place to crave relevance. It is like the politicians in the Uk elevating the Arch Bishop of Canterbury to king of England, the Arch Bishop is like the chief priest to the British Monarchy. His role is to officiate in royal christenings, marriages, crowning of a new king or queen, royal burials etc. The Ooni is the equivalent in yoruba land. The Ooni is not suppose to be an Oba this has sees been the age long frictions between the past and present Ooni and some yoruba Obas.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by izzou(m): 8:57am On Apr 26, 2017
maclatunji:

This is different from saying the Oba of Lagos is not a 1st Class King. You did not create the concept and you should not use it wrongly, every state has 1st class, 2nd class and 3rd class Kings.

Stop extending your show of ignorance by arguing.

I said Yoruba land. You keep saying state.

If you love to argue, I don't

The Ooni throne is far far higher and recognized first in the Nigerian constitution before the Oba of Lagos

I repeat, Oba of Lagos is not a first class oba

If you have a problem with this,please scroll down or look for someone else to confirm your point

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Goodinfo: 9:02am On Apr 26, 2017
Godfullsam:
That moment when Oba of lagos is still very high on osogbo weed and fermented lagoon liquor grin.

Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by martinsfm(m): 9:03am On Apr 26, 2017
Let me paint the picture clearer for those that know, or have forgotten....

Oba Of Lagos is just a oba of Lagos city, not of Lagos State... he has no power in Epe and Badagry...

Ooni of iFe, so far youre a yoruba any where in the world, traditionally hes your king...

Theres a difference between disrespecting your elder brother and disrespecting your father, what oba dd was the latter....

Oba of lagos got carried away and tot he was snubbing Ogunwusi, not knowing he snubbed "ooni of Ife" which is a taboo and deserved to be stripped naked and flogged.

Ooni of Ife and Oba of lagos are of no rank....
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by rigarmortis: 9:06am On Apr 26, 2017
the Ooni is the spiritual head of yoruba land, the Alaafin is the emperor in yoruba land.

get the facts ppl
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by martinsfm(m): 9:07am On Apr 26, 2017
Antina:

Someone said something very important in the tweet, he said " that is what u get when ifa (oracle) stops picking people, that if Ifa (oracle) has picked them two, they should know better. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
obviously, all things may have been rigged one way or the other, but it doesnt downgrade how powerful the ooni of ife should be
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by kpompey: 9:09am On Apr 26, 2017
samuk:
Historically the Ooni was never an Oba but the chief priest of Ododuwa. All desendants of past Oonis were ment to be chief priest to the numerous shrines in Ile-Efe. It was the politicians of old western region in their quest to forge a common yoruba unity that elevated the the Ooni to an Oba, so rather than the Ooni being the chief priest to the descendants of Ododuwa ( current first class yoruba Obas) he was elevated above them, most of the Obas have never accepted this, that is why the Oba of Lagos, the Awujale of Ijebu, the Alaafi of Oyo and numerous others that know their history have never accepted the Ooni's superiority because it was the creation of the old western region politicians. This new Ooni know this hence the reason he is all over the place to crave relevance. It is like the politicians in the Uk elevating the Arch Bishop of Canterbury to king of England, the Arch Bishop is like the chief priest to the British Monarchy. His role is to officiate in royal christenings, marriages, crowning of a new king or queen, royal burials etc. The Ooni is the equivalent in yoruba land. The Ooni is not suppose to be an Oba this has sees been the age long frictions between the past and present Ooni and some yoruba Obas.

Shut your mouth.This story is only meant for onume's like you.We are pure Yoruba breed and I can say this history is totally incorrect.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by maclatunji: 9:16am On Apr 26, 2017
izzou:

I said Yoruba land. You keep saying state.

If you love to argue, I don't

The Ooni throne is far far higher and recognized first in the Nigerian constitution before the Oba of Lagos

I repeat, Oba of Lagos is not a first class oba

If you have a problem with this,please scroll down or look for someone else to confirm your point

Hahahahaahahahahaha, so Lagos State is not part of Yorubaland. Before you go showing your ignorance in public, do your research first.

Don't just come out and type rubbish.

Oya give us the list of 'First class' kings in Yorubaland. #LOL
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:18am On Apr 26, 2017
bakynes:

Oba Ado was in fact the first Oba of Lagos placed there by the Oba of Benin and he paid tribute and taxes to the Benin Empire. What I am just trying to say is that the Oba of Lagos is occupied by an Awori King and not by a Benin person. Aworis migrated from Ife to that farm settlement named Eko by the Oba of Benin.

Yes na, d aworis own d seat. Before oba ado there was regency by benin warriors too. Itwas until after d war campaign they put an awori oba, stillrecognised as eleko before the aworischose to go with their language and called it oba.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:32am On Apr 26, 2017
bakynes:

You guys know nothing but just type rubbish, no Oba in Yoruba Land is answerable to any Oba,its just out of respect for the first spiritual leader of the cradle of Yoruba Land.

The seat of throne in Lagos is a Yoruba Kingship and not Benin. The seat existed long before Oba of Benin conquered Lagos and named it Eko. It was restored to the Yoruba king when the British came there.

There was no central kingship in lagos before oba orhogbua conquered the lands and named it eko. Na only baales dey before the kingship, and it wasnt central. All houses in the awori kingdom had to pledge their allegiance to benin in fear of retribution for killing of some of benin's emissaries sent earlier.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by VERDA: 9:32am On Apr 26, 2017
izzou:

Am very sure the Ooni won't bother to shake him next time

Not being friendly with someone doesn't mean you are bad. Sometimes, Its a means of earning respect

The late Ooni would have greeted the Obi only,and sat down. That I am very sure

Well... you make a very good point but I think except they had some sort of beef the Ooni had no reason to greet just the Obi ND ignore the Oba,like I mentioned earlier he was probably just being a gentleman but then again, knowing how arrogant the Oba can be, should have just ignored him, I doubt he expected the Oba to display such extraordinary act of childishness.
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:32am On Apr 26, 2017
Saintmary:

half truth

There you hv it
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 26, 2017
clefstone:
the ooni is too forward sef. The Ife kingmakers should take a cue from the Oba of Benin. If it were the omon'obo, he wouldn't be shaking hands with every front sit personality like young adults in a high school reunoin. There is a way a king should comport himself in public to avoid such WORK HAZARD. To me, it was a show of arrogance and classlessness from the Oba of Lagos but the Ooni played into it. Both kings r culpable

Nonesense... So someone cannot shake someone again in this 21st Century angry
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by DJSlimGaga(m): 9:52am On Apr 26, 2017
clefstone:
the ooni is too forward sef. The Ife kingmakers should take a cue from the Oba of Benin. If it were the omon'obo, he wouldn't be shaking hands with every front sit personality like young adults in a high school reunoin. There is a way a king should comport himself in public to avoid such WORK HAZARD. To me, it was a show of arrogance and classlessness from the Oba of Lagos but the Ooni played into it. Both kings r culpable
I disagreed with you. The Ooni tried to show respect in which its supposed to be the other way round. The Oba of Lagos was wrong in all ramifications
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by DJSlimGaga(m): 9:57am On Apr 26, 2017
Slurity:
Why blame Oba of Lagos for this Display of character now? its just like condemning an albino because of its colour, is it the fault of the albino? A true lagosian is always rude, proud, and mannerless, so if the king exhibit the trait why noise?
You lack common sense
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by todyms: 10:06am On Apr 26, 2017
Ojaja ja Ile ote, ojaja ja Ile ija.
Ojaja II has his flaws but Oba Akiolu outdid himself.

Ojaja's loyalists will soon effortlessly burn Oba Akiolu where it will hurt him most even without being disrespectful to Akiolu's throne.

Remember that story of the Ondo king, Obateru that insulted the Ooni last year?
Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by mywells: 11:22am On Apr 26, 2017
The oba of Lagos should be be sacked by councils of obas in Yoruba kingdom.oye e ki Ooni of Ife jee Ade ori oba eko,ki gbo gbo o ilu Eko wa dobale ni Ile Ife.

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) by mywells: 11:48am On Apr 26, 2017
SycophanticGoat:
Imagine that useless and brainless Emmanuel Dele on that twitter reactions. The fool practically left the disgraceful encounter between his obas only to begin throwing jabs at Igbos.

Why are some people hell bent on being senselessly retarded in the name of exhibiting tribal supremacy?? SmH.. undecided
Igbo s monarch would never behave like that to their superior.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I’m A Bride Waiting To Be Dressed Up - Silekunola Naomi / Masquerade In London. White Men Wearing Egungun Costume Dance In London Streets / Masquerade Uncovers His Face To Beg A Man Money(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.