Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA (18496 Views)

$50m Loot: DG NIA diverted Gej's 2015 Campaign Funds- Deji Adeyanju / Suspended DG NIA Weeps, Barred From Aso Rock / President Buhari Suspends SGF Babachir Lawal And DG NIA Ayodele Oke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by enomakos(m): 10:40am On May 04, 2017
kowema:

So CIA nd NIA don be mate?
they do the same job
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by GavelSlam: 10:41am On May 04, 2017
misterh:
Firstly, I'm not certain that Boko Haram is within the purview of NIA, hence, I typed 'I believe'. Before such conclusions can be made as to whether it is within the purview of the NIA or not, don't you think we need to read the Act (Decree?) that established it?

They are to gather intelligence pertaining to national security.

If they cannot be involved in the war against boko haram, I insist they should be dissolved.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by misterh(m): 10:43am On May 04, 2017
GavelSlam:

They are to gather intelligence pertaining to national security.

If they cannot be involved in the war against boko haram, I insist they should be dissolved.

Well, your insistence doesn't really matter if the Act guiding their activities doesn't include that.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by GavelSlam: 10:44am On May 04, 2017
misterh:
Well, your insistence doesn't really matter if the Act guiding their activities doesn't include that.

My insistence would matter when most Nigerians begin to clamour for it.

It takes one voice.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Meritocracy: 10:52am On May 04, 2017
They should expose everything and audit every kobo they spent. See how this old cargo is talking only God knows his share in that 289 million dollar. Immagine using one agency to collect that money and saying they shouldn't expose each and every member of the agency, those who are killed due to there greediness have no right to security. Ghost workers with huge budgets everywhere and we are complaining of recession.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by misterh(m): 10:55am On May 04, 2017
GavelSlam:

My insistence would matter when most Nigerians begin to clamour for it.

It takes one voice.
That's true though. But until then, the Act remains their guiding light. If it is not in their Act, and Nigerians clamor for it to be there, then the Act has to be amended.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by misterh(m): 11:02am On May 04, 2017
seunmsg:
Nonsense. No agency should be above accountability and public scrutiny no matter how sensitive their duties are.

This same silly mentality is why the president and all governors vote huge amounts as security votes annually without giving account of how the funds were expended.

For us to succeed in the war on corruption, we must move away from this old military mentality. Every public official and government agencies entrusted with public funds must be made to give account of how the funds were expended. No agency, no matter how sensitive should be above accountability.
Don't you think those two words in bold are contradictory? You do realize that if a sensitive covert op is being carried out by the NIA, making a public investigation into the NIA would jeopardize that op. I'm not saying the NIA shouldn't be investigated, but we can't afford to make the findings a public affair. Making that mistake would spell doom for the country.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by GavelSlam: 11:02am On May 04, 2017
Budget

Secret Intelligence Service MI6 £2.6 billion British
(2014–2015)

Canadian security Intelligence Service C$516.2 million (2014–2015)

Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure French
US$731,807,192.50

Nigeria??
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Semper247(m): 11:44am On May 04, 2017
Dandsome:
Tell them. They want to use politics to kill it.

Immediately Oke said he informed NSA about the money I knew something was up

What did u know that was up Mr Dandsome Dundee?
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by dfrost: 12:21pm On May 04, 2017
naptu2:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/05/01/nia-probe-report-must-remain-classified-bolaji-akinyemi-warns/

naptu2 I read your post on your diary. Question is this: do you think this corruption war will go far with this hurdle?

The president knows about all this covers and decided to open up a can of worms. For crying out loud he was a former head of state. The fight should have been done more subtly and under wraps.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by dfrost: 1:21pm On May 04, 2017
misterh:
Are you in any security agency to know if their intels haven't been helpful?

Bros if you know how the NIA intel has helped Nigeria, you can as well enlighten the poster you quoted. We are all here to learn. CIA helped locate OBL before the SEALs moved in. This is CIA's website showing their activities regarding terrorism esp. where it concerns OBL. At least after an operation is successful, the public gets to know about the issue. Where is NIA's version?

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/cia-the-war-on-terrorism

I've been trying to access their site to no avail unless someone can point me to the right direction: https://www.nationalintelligenceagency.gov.ng/

1 Like

Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Dhugal: 1:57pm On May 04, 2017
GavelSlam:

Boko Haram is an international/regional group.

If NIA claims the sect is not within their purview they should be summarily dissolved.
To dissolve the NIA,you will have to abolish your constitution.
The National Security Agencies Act,Land Use Act and NYSC Act are an integral part of your constitution and cannot be amended by your run of the mill process.

Kids and ignoramuses all over the place.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Dhugal: 1:59pm On May 04, 2017
misterh:
That's true though. But until then, the Act remains their guiding light. If it is not in their Act, and Nigerians clamor for it to be there, then the Act has to be amended.
It cannot.

Not that easy.You will have to tackle your constitution before you do that,thanks to Abdulsalaam Abubakar
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by GavelSlam: 2:19pm On May 04, 2017
Dhugal:

To dissolve the NIA,you will have to abolish your constitution.
The National Security Agencies Act,Land Use Act and NYSC Act are an integral part of your constitution and cannot be amended by your run of the mill process.

Kids and ignoramuses all over the place.

You don't have to abolish your constitution you amend your constitution.

Ignoramus thinking he is intelligent.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by yaqq: 2:22pm On May 04, 2017
too much of foreign films is making some people extremely foolish! if u. believe all those CIA stuffs in American movie then u re more stupid than stupid itself! imagine the man saying the DG carelessness drop the money as if it's 20 million naira! we are talking about billions of naira! if we want to grow as a country we must learn to do things in the African ways! NIA should be scrapped!!!
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by GreyLaw(m): 2:29pm On May 04, 2017
seunmsg:
Nonsense. No agency should be above accountability and public scrutiny no matter how sensitive their duties are.

This same silly mentality is why the president and all governors vote huge amounts as security votes annually without giving account of how the funds were expended.

For us to succeed in the war on corruption, we must move away from this old military mentality. Every public official and government agencies entrusted with public funds must be made to give account of how the funds were expended. No agency, no matter how sensitive, should be above accountability.

Each time I come across your comments here, I shake my head in disbelief.

Could you, please, re-read your first paragraph? How can you continue to support the ills of a government to a feverish level, beclouding every sense of reasoning?

Mr. Horsefall raised salient points, which you completely skipped, only to shout corruption. Will you fight corruption and at the same time, expose the lives of hundreds (probably thousands) of secret agents sweating it out in Nigeria's interests both home and abroad?

Mr. Magu exposing the whole thing to the media was totally wrong, you shout corruption; don't endanger the lives of agents, you shout corruption; make your search a bit more discreet, all you can do is to still shout corruption.

Nobody is saying the government should not audit accounts (though secret agencies are usually not audited, at least not Magu way), all Mr. Horsefall is asking for, is a little discretion.

You write intelligently, but, please, be rational.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by itelMobileNG: 3:22pm On May 04, 2017
enomakos:
sending the military to take over some dept of the NIA is very wrong ,a military that hads been compromised, a military that gives itel to book haram

It is intel not ITEL sad
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by madjune(m): 4:18pm On May 04, 2017
I'm yet to see the ways or of what national use this agency has been to the country since its inception.

I only know they pack estacode like garri and travel up and down, spending tax payers dollars on borrowed lifestyles.
Whatever information the country needs can be sourced from the SSS or the military intelligence
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by naptu2: 4:29pm On May 04, 2017
First a veteran intelligence officer and first DG of the NIA, Chief Albert Horsfall, then a former foreign minister, former DG of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and professor of political science/international relations (who has taught all over the world), Professor Bolaji Akinyemi and now, a former secretary general of the Commonwealth of Nations, former foreign minister and veteran of the Nigerian foreign service, Chief Emeka Anyaoku.

Stop leaking secrets on NIA; Anyaoku warns Osinbajo panel

ADEKUNLE
1 MAY 2017

Former Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, has thrown his weight behind yesterday’s warning by former Minister of External Affairs, Prof, Bolaji Akinyemi, that secrets on the National Intelligence Agency, NIA, should not be leaked to the public.

Akinyemi had issued the warning against the backdrop of ongoing probe of NIA Director-General, Ambassador Ayodele Oke, by the Presidential panel, headed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.

He said the gravity of the issue propelled him to react to the development, especially as it portended danger for the country’s security system.

Anyaoku in a statement issued Monday night said ”Apart from my intervention that led to the signing of the Abuja Accord by all the presidential candidates in the run-up to the 2015 national elections, I do not normally issue public statements on developments within our country.

”But because of its gravity, I feel compelled to publicly express my full support for the statement by Professor Bolaji Akinyemi on the need to stop leaking secrets on NIA which I have just read in our media while on a visit to London.

”It is common practice by responsible governments throughout the world for only the Head of Government and his/her very few appropriate Ministers to be involved in the operations of the nation’s external secret service.

”While not sparing every effort to check corruption, to expand the scope of such involvement would be doing huge damage to the security of the state.”

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/stop-leaking-secrets-nia-anyaoku-warns-osinbajo-panel/amp/
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Dhugal: 5:09pm On May 04, 2017
GavelSlam:

You don't have to abolish your constitution you amend your constitution.
Ignoramus thinking he is intelligent.
You see why I called you ignoramus?. The specific section can't be amended.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by mytym(m): 9:29pm On May 04, 2017
kowema:
Any agency that needs over $200 milion for one covert project or whatever should be gunned down.
Such plenty money and we can't see the outcome.
Didn't even know dey exist.

When the story broke and my friend said what do they need the money and safe house for? I yabbed him that all "24, Homeland, Strike Back you've been watching has not educated you one bit".

The NIA story is a smart cover up and most likely will disappear in thin air.

If the assests belong to NIA, there's no way the C-in-C will not be briefed. If GEJ didn't include it in handing over briefings (which was already kick started before PMB was sworn in, due to volume of information), the DG as a matter of compulsion must have briefed the C-in-C very early in his tenure...And efcc then can only burst such safe house ONLY on the authorization of C-in-C...

This was not so apparently, the efcc acted on Intel and found that the 'whistleblower' was right after all, then they took to the media.

The politician(s) who stole and kept such volume of forex are very smart and knows exactly that the only agency that can claim the "existence in secrecy" of such assets will be the NIA. The NIA which most Nigerians don't even know existed (which is the objective), will have the right to defend any secret assets and the outcome of such defence/investigation will still be made secret if things will be done accordingly. Hence the thieves were very smart in linking the money to NIA.

Now the dicey thing about drilling DG NIA is that if the forex belong to NIA truly (which chance is very slim), then the country has made a fool of itself in Espionage parlance. This is exactly what the former spy chief is really concerned about -the manner the issue is being handled. The myth and strength of spying is the secrecy.
If the money doesn't belong to NIA, then the thieves won't be named either in order to protect NIA itself (coz questions will be raised).

Either way the efcc has failed in it's objective ab initio first of curbing corruption and secondly of creating public awareness of the agency 'catching thieves'.

Herbert Horsfall is very right.
Prof Bolaji Akinyemi raised exact similar concerns.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Emanodimo(m): 12:45am On May 05, 2017
[quote author=naptu2 post=56190242]

That's primarily the jurisdiction of the SSS, not the NIA.[/quote

So which agencies or individual or group is the NIA serving if not SSS and the rest.
I want to learn where is NIA jurisdiction?. What is the NIA role on security matters or none?
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by rexbuton: 2:54pm On May 05, 2017
I read comments and once against a sizeable majority of us remain ignorant, infantile and frustrated and channeling the latter into our every discussion, lacking basic understanding of how systems work and procedure! And most of the information is in public domain but we would rather spend time watching funny Facebook videos, music videos and whatever we do to waste our lives! I'm ashamed when I see young people type " So what is the function of the NIA?", "I never heard about NIA" etc... now you've heard about them won't you go and check them up? una no get internet abi dem swear for una say na only celebrity marriages una go dey follow?
Nigerians should endeavor to read at least one book every month and watch local and foreign news regularly. Our fathers who had no internet were not as unintelligent as this generation of Nigerians, they desired knowledge, they were smart, even with a select few having good education they couldn't be fooled for long by colonialists and neighbours. If this generation of young Nigerians were the 1940s era, we would never had gained independence! So sad, really sad!

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Spidermon: 7:32pm On May 05, 2017
5DMindset:

I am quoting you because you write as an intelligent mind, but devoid of the knowledge of how the intelligence network functions. NIA is not DSS, and not the Police. NIA and any of such Intelligence Agency in other countries example CIA in the USA, are operable on black budget. Black Budget means, it will be off-budget how much is allocated to them, where their funds are lodged and they dont use the regular internet protocols, not same GSM protocols and they are the Humans responsible for the safety of the country, even the President, or any other Political Office holder have no access to the Secrets known by these Agencies. The NIA actually has the right to take down any President, at last resort who could plunge a country to wars. Example - It is only Agencies like NIA that could take down Abacha and plant fake news everywhere to quieten the mass revolutions to follow.

What I mean is, you can not audit the NIA using the public auditors, because their funding is not on the budget you pass. Intelligence agencies have their internal peer review mechanisms.

I grew up knowing that some Intelligence Agencies actually operate with limitless ATM cards and diplomatic passports and access to flights anywhere in the world. These guys are the reasons we stay safe. I have met a few of them, trust me, for once in my life, I was confused cos I met human beings that can not be bribed. No nonsense, they dont talk much, no uniforms, they act like they own the world and they arrested soldiers and policemen in my presence and I was shocked. I was smart to have sauntered away.

You are correct but in Nigeria, nothing works as advertised.

Nothing!!
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 05, 2017
Firstcitizen:
We should allow NIA destroy Nigeria abi

Your ignorance is just too inexplicable. And you display ot proudly. Shame.
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by wirinet(m): 9:12pm On May 05, 2017
naptu2:

That's primarily the jurisdiction of the SSS, not the NIA.
Not exactly correct, especially concerning Book Haram. Book Haram has the backing and sponsorship of foreign organizations. It claims affiliation to ISIS, and lots of its fighters are foreigners.
Boko Haram concerns NIA as much as SSS.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by enomakos(m): 9:22pm On May 05, 2017
itelMobileNG:

It is intel not ITEL sad
sorry I wake you up thanks
Re: Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA by Firstcitizen: 11:21am On May 06, 2017
Fineman87:

Your ignorance is just too inexplicable. And you display ot proudly. Shame.

Learn not to comment and fvck off from Nairaland so as not to display your stupidity.

You don't have to tell the whole world how daft you are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OFFICIAL Result Frm Kano Presidential Election / "There Are Those Who Have Made The Guinness Book Of Records By Pretending"- Wike / APC Again, Puts Zoning Structure On Hold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.