Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,341 members, 7,957,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:35 AM

Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? (3588 Views)

For Those Who Doubt That Buhari Is A Religious Bigot. See For Yourselves / Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot / ‘I Don’t Deserve To Be Called A Religious Bigot’ Says Aregbesola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by beejaei: 11:42pm On Jan 08, 2010
Since I started monitoring activities on nairaland, I have observed with shock and disappointment the alarming number of posts and replies that demean, with very acerbic words, one religion or ethnic group or the other. Having lived in Lagos for almost 20 years, I must say I never observed this character in Nigerians I came by. I was always proud of the cosmopolitan nature of Lagos that ensured that I could meet anyone form any part of Nigeria in Lagos and not feel like that person does not belong in Lagos. Indeed, one of the defining qualities of Lagos is the fact that it is highly diversified. Even if ethnic and religious bigotry existed, it was usually semi-jocular and not as acidic as the ones I see here. So I ask, is the average nigerian an ethnic/religious bigot or are people just posing for what they are not on NL just for the fun of it?
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by sjeezy8: 11:44pm On Jan 08, 2010
Lagosians arent that much but those outside Lagos are.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by SEFAGO(m): 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2010
Having lived in Lagos for almost 20 years
, I must say I never observed this character in Nigerians I came by. I was always proud of the cosmopolitan nature of Lagos that ensured that I could meet anyone form any part of Nigeria in Lagos and not feel like that person does not belong in Lagos. Indeed, one of the defining qualities of Lagos is the fact that it is highly diversified. Even if ethnic and religious bigotry existed, it was usually semi-jocular and not as acidic as the ones I see here. So I ask, is the average nigerian an ethnic/religious bigot or are people just posing for what they are not on NL just for the fun of it

yeah thats the problem. Also one ethnic group seems to shine and display their tribalism on NL lipsrsealed Its sad really
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by edoyad(m): 12:05am On Jan 09, 2010
A few of us aren't, but those Ibo , Yoruba and Hausa are the worst bigots ever !
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Jan 09, 2010
@Poster, I don’t really think Nairaland is where the problem begins or ends. I mean it is quite obvious what the situation with the majority in Nigeria is. I mean you only need to take a look around you with OPEN EYES to figure these things out. You live in a country where majority of the issues are addressed as being tribal more than anything else. You live in a country, where once a riot or problem of any kind occurs, you see people start fleeing back to their villages or ethnic areas for safety.

I have lived in Lagos too and I know for sure that Lagosians are in no way sheltered from it all. Nairaland only provides the people an avenue to OPEN UP anonymously but if you check, a large number of those logging in to nairaland actually live in Lagos. So there is no way you can actually live in Lagos and not know of this unless you have chosen to have it that way.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by paddylo1(m): 12:39am On Jan 09, 2010
@Poster, I don’t really think Nairaland is where the problem begins or ends. I mean it is quite obvious what the situation with the majority in Nigeria is. I mean you only need to take a look around you with OPEN EYES to figure these things out. You live in a country where majority of the issues are addressed as being tribal more than anything else. You live in a country, where once a riot or problem of any kind occurs, you see people start fleeing back to their villages or ethnic areas for safety.

I have lived in Lagos too and I know for sure that Lagosians are in no way sheltered from it all.  Nairaland only provides the people an avenue to OPEN UP anonymously but if you check, a large number of those logging in to nairaland actually live in Lagos. So there is no way you can actually live in Lagos and not know of this unless you have chosen to have it that way.

u are either a psycho. . .or suffering from delusion

someone tells u he has not seen anything like that in real life and u from wherever u are living tell him its his fault
and he should OPEN his eyes

@beejaei
well i lived in lagos for 22yrs and trust me no one acts like this in real life
even in the north,places i have been to abuja,minna,kaduna. . .everyone is nigerian
dont take what u read here too seriously. . .
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by beejaei: 12:46am On Jan 09, 2010
@Kobojujnkie

I know that up north, there are people who believe in some forms of radical Islam and consequently hate Christians and southerners. But I will like to believe this is the minority. I also know that majority of our politicians are ethnic bigots, especially with stuff like, self-determination, resource control, rotational presidency etc. In fact, the whole idea of Federal Character that uplifts ethnicity over merit in federal appointments is based on the belief that  majority of Nigerians are ethnic jingoists. Damn, even in Lagos, we hear about stuff like zoning this to Ikorodu Divisin and that to Epe division. For the most part, the people involved in all these have a reason to be bigots- corruption, access to the nasonal akara, bringing resources to their areas etc. But the average Nigerian, the guy next door, the mallam that sells u chewing gum in the morning, the Ibo guy whose Okada u take to work, the Fualni guy from whom you buy kulikuli during lunch, the abeokuta guy who is the conductor on the bus back home, the niger delata guy who is the secretary at work, your boss who might come from benue, these ordinary people, do they believe that the the next person is worse than them because of his/her ethnicity/religion?
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by beejaei: 12:48am On Jan 09, 2010
@paddy_lo

That got me all cracking up
u are either a psycho. . .or suffering from delusion

someone tells u he has not seen anything like that in real life and u from wherever u are living tell him its his fault
and he should OPEN his eyes
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by paddylo1(m): 12:51am On Jan 09, 2010
and when it comes to religion. . .

i usually partied with my auchi friends during big sallah. . .every yr b4 i travelled out
i used to travel from lagos or abuja depending on where i was
to auchi. . .my boys lived there. . .
my main friend(a muslim) i would stay in the family home
and other of our friends came in from onitsha,abuja,warri etc. . .

a lot of us where christian like me too. . .but who cares
we came to party,eat goat meat,drink all night and drive around auchi town

drive to auchi poly or ekpoma for chicks and more parties too. . .
again. .a lot of people on here are jokers. . .
and wannabee internet bigots
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 09, 2010
the really sad thing is that these bigots and religionists can 'radicalize' others

i am a muslim , and the hatred i have seen on nairaland (from christians - usually coated in self righteousness etal) made me much more wary and suspicious of Christians in real life
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by paddylo1(m): 1:00am On Jan 09, 2010
@paddy_lo

That got me all cracking up

mehn beejaei. .u dont know how annoying it is to listen to ppl who dont know anything about anything telling u rubbish

a lot of them have not been in nigeria for over 15yrs. . but they will swear they are very current about the goings on on ground

i lived in abuja,for 4yrs i travelled to a couple of cities up north
those guys are even more patroitic and believe in one nigeria than some of us down south
and there are a lot of christians up north local to the area,not just the ones moving in from the south

they see everyone as nigerians. . .
lol u will fall in love again if u hear a northern girl speak hausa to u(its so sexy)
and smile warmly as they do so too. . .
so leave matter and 4get these fools on here
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by beejaei: 1:01am On Jan 09, 2010
@oyb

That is really sad. So it means we can not brush aside these ethnic/religious bigotry as just e-fun.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by beejaei: 1:02am On Jan 09, 2010
mehn beejaei. .u dont know how annoying it is to listen to ppl who dont know anything about anything telling u rubbish

a lot of them have not been in nigeria for over 15yrs. . but they will swear they are very current about the goings on on ground

those guys are even more patroitic and believe in one nigeria than some of us down south
and there are a lot of christians up north local to the area,not just the ones moving in from the south

lol u will fall in love again if u hear a northern girl speak hausa to u(its so sexy)

@paddy_lo

That is the Nigeria I am in love with and miss very much. I hope its not too late when I return.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by paddylo1(m): 1:08am On Jan 09, 2010
the really sad thing is that these bigots and religionists can 'radicalize' others

i am a muslim , and the hatred i have seen on nairaland (from christians - usually coated in self righteousness etal) made me much more wary and suspicious of Christians in real life

my guy nothing do u. . .northern muslims(if u are from the north) are some of the most easy going ppl i have ever met. . .lol

dont let ppl here change u. . .
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Kobojunkie: 1:27am On Jan 09, 2010
beejaei:

@Kobojujnkie

I know that up north, there are people who believe in some forms of radical Islam and consequently hate Christians and southerners.

Up North? Are you joking? See this is the sort of thing that brings up these issues. You don’t just have to look up north for these problems cause they are all over the country.

beejaei:

But I will like to believe this is the minority. I also know that majority of our politicians are ethnic bigots, especially with stuff like, self-determination, resource control, rotational presidency etc.

We all want to believe life is a bed of roses as well but that ain’t the case. By the way, your statement about the politicians is actually FAR from the truth. They FEED the people what they believe the people want in this case. The only reason a POLITICAL bigot will get elected is if there are people out there who back him and they are all over the place. Under millitary rule, it rarely mattered what ethnicity you were from but as soon as we talked of having equal rights, everyone decided their ethnicity ought to matter.

beejaei:

In fact, the whole idea of Federal Character that uplifts ethnicity over merit in federal appointments is based on the belief that majority of Nigerians are ethnic jingoists. Damn, even in Lagos, we hear about stuff like zoning this to Ikorodu Divisin and that to Epe division. For the most part, the people involved in all these have a reason to be bigots- corruption, access to the nasonal akara, bringing resources to their areas etc. But the average Nigerian, the guy next door, the mallam that sells u chewing gum in the morning, the Ibo guy whose Okada u take to work, the Fualni guy from whom you buy kulikuli during lunch, the abeokuta guy who is the conductor on the bus back home, the niger delata guy who is the secretary at work, your boss who might come from benue, these ordinary people, do they believe that the the next person is worse than them because of his/her ethnicity/religion?

You know what? I will just take it that you are ONLY here to tell us what you think of this, right? I mean do you really want to know what the average Nigerian is all about. If yes, take a LOOK at the people around you; ask the PROBING Questions and WATCH THEM BE THEMSELVES. If NO, then it is OK for one to continue to ASSUME those around us are exactly the way we imagine them. But come on, do you really believe that the reason there is corruption, bigotry etc in all places in Nigeria is simply because a MINORITY want it that way?

It is sort of like coming on here to open a thread asking if the average Nigerians is living in poverty, or not but then going ahead to conclude that is not the case when the evidence seems OVERWHELMING that that is the case.

Now, I am not saying you are wrong or the sort but I am saying sometimes it is best to look around and accept things as they really are. I grew up in the same Lagos, and I am not a Lagosian by birth but I can tell you that from Primary School on, I heard it; I even saw and experienced it. I definitely denied it often but I could not shake the reality. It’s in the people, even my own people, and it is not something that just goes away. Even in my own house, we have em. It is just there. Families were ruined by it, and continue to be, and what you see here on nairaland is people FREELY telling you what they would normally hide from you.

I have come to respect that people will always have these views as long as we continue to place so much importance on such. Even here in America, you meet people daily whose words will tell you almost immediately that they are not only Nigerians but Nigerians from a specific area of Nigeria. Even Americans who have an idea of the Nigerian issue are quick to ask you what part of the country you are from. Many of them have come to realize it is OF GREAT importance to establish that association for some reason. Seriously, I have never heard anyone of them ask an Indian what part of india he/she is from, lol .

Some of the bigots you meet here on nairaland are professionals, who wear suits and ties and act as if they are above it all. But reality is they are not, and that should tell you a bit of what you know of the average Nigerian mind. What do ethnic bigots look like? They look like average Nigerians; they look like you and I, and act like normal average people do. Most of these dudes are Masters, PHD holders, who have experienced life in Western world and know what it means not to care much of ethnicity but they still choose to make theirs all and all.

We all saw what happened in South Africa, Kenya and even Zimbabwe only recently. Nigeria is not immune to the same and we know this. I am not saying we should MAKE IT ALL but just being aware of it is not a bad idea.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Singular: 3:05am On Jan 09, 2010
nope, there are not many jst that there are those with 5 - 10 multiple ids doing the same thing.
or they dont live in nigeria again
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Choco5: 3:07am On Jan 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Up North? Are you joking? See this is the sort of thing that brings up these issues. You don’t just have to look up north for these problems cause they are all over the country.

We all want to believe life is a bed of roses as well but that ain’t the case. By the way, your statement about the politicians is actually FAR from the truth. They FEED the people what they believe the people want in this case. The only reason a POLITICAL bigot will get elected is if there are people out there who back him and they are all over the place. Under millitary rule, it rarely mattered what ethnicity you were from but as soon as we talked of having equal rights, everyone decided their ethnicity ought to matter.

You know what? I will just take it that you are ONLY here to tell us what you think of this, right? I mean do you really want to know what the average Nigerian is all about. If yes, take a LOOK at the people around you; ask the PROBING Questions and WATCH THEM BE THEMSELVES. If NO, then it is OK for one to continue to ASSUME those around us are exactly the way we imagine them. But come on, do you really believe that the reason there is corruption, bigotry etc in all places in Nigeria is simply because a MINORITY want it that way?

It is sort of like coming on here to open a thread asking if the average Nigerians is living in poverty, or not but then going ahead to conclude that is not the case when the evidence seems OVERWHELMING that that is the case.

Now, I am not saying you are wrong or the sort but I am saying sometimes it is best to look around and accept things as they really are. I grew up in the same Lagos, and I am not a Lagosian by birth but I can tell you that from Primary School on, I heard it; I even saw and experienced it. I definitely denied it often but I could not shake the reality. It’s in the people, even my own people, and it is not something that just goes away. Even in my own house, we have em. It is just there. Families were ruined by it, and continue to be, and what you see here on nairaland is people FREELY telling you what they would normally hide from you.

I have come to respect that people will always have these views as long as we continue to place so much importance on such. Even here in America, you meet people daily whose words will tell you almost immediately that they are not only Nigerians but Nigerians from a specific area of Nigeria. Even Americans who have an idea of the Nigerian issue are quick to ask you what part of the country you are from. Many of them have come to realize it is OF GREAT importance to establish that association for some reason. Seriously, I have never heard anyone of them ask an Indian what part of india he/she is from, lol .

Some of the bigots you meet here on nairaland are professionals, who wear suits and ties and act as if they are above it all. But reality is they are not, and that should tell you a bit of what you know of the average Nigerian mind. What do ethnic bigots look like? They look like average Nigerians; they look like you and I, and act like normal average people do. Most of these dudes are Masters, PHD holders, who have experienced life in Western world and know what it means not to care much of ethnicity but they still choose to make theirs all and all.

We all saw what happened in South Africa, Kenya and even Zimbabwe only recently. Nigeria is not immune to the same and we know this. I am not saying we should MAKE IT ALL but just being aware of it is not a bad idea.

This fool is not even in Nigeria!
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Nnenna1(f): 3:12am On Jan 09, 2010
Choco5:

This fool is not even in Nigeria!

I wonder oooooo.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Beaf: 3:17am On Jan 09, 2010
Why do I recall several ethnic conflicts in Lagos?  shocked
In the Ketu - Mile 12 riots of 1999, 45 lives were lost (Yoruba vs Hausa). In the Ajegunle riots, at least 12 lives were lost (Yoruba vs Ijaw).
Na today?
It is a Nigerian problem that is visible all over the country. angry

However, the average Nigerian is not an ethnic bigot. Bigot is a very strong word.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Kobojunkie: 3:24am On Jan 09, 2010
[size=13pt]A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing devotion.[/size]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Katsumoto: 3:31am On Jan 09, 2010
paddy_lo:

They believe in one Nigeria and then go on a murdering spree killing Southerners when something totally unconnected with Nigeria happens in some obscure part of the planet. I get what you are trying to say but I would rather live with someone who would disagree with me openly but not kill me when we disagree than someone who doesn't disagree with me but tries to kill me for a silly reason.

oyb:

This I agree with and that is why I have been advocating that the tribalism section is discontinued with. Whilst there are a few known incendiary tribalists, they often succeed in making many people seem tribalistic when defending their tribes. The task facing those of us that are concerned is to speak against the the tribalists each time they bring it here or we are all guilty of it.

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.' - Edmund Burke

Don't be wary of your christian friends. I am a christian and most of my friends are muslims; I will never treat them differently because ignorant posts on NL and I would be offended if any of them did that to me.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Beaf: 3:33am On Jan 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing devotion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

I am at a loss as to why you posted that. I really have given up engaging with your twisted mind.

That definition you have pertains to the likes of Nazi's and murderous racists. Is that the average Nigerian to you? Boy! You might need help!
I do not see ethnic bigotry in the average Nigerian, whether on NL or anywhere else.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Katsumoto: 3:35am On Jan 09, 2010
Beaf:

Why do I recall several ethnic conflicts in Lagos?  shocked
In the Ketu - Mile 12 riots of 1999, 45 lives were lost (Yoruba vs Hausa). In the Ajegunle riots, at least 12 lives were lost (Yoruba vs Ijaw).
Na today?
It is a Nigerian problem that is visible all over the country. angry

However, the average Nigerian is not an ethnic bigot. Bigot is a very strong word.

While I am not doubting you, it is usually easier for others, including myself, to believe you if you provide a link.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Choco5: 3:36am On Jan 09, 2010
Beaf:

I am at a loss as to why you posted that. I really have given up engaging with your twisted mind.

lmfao
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Beaf: 3:39am On Jan 09, 2010
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by bawomolo(m): 3:49am On Jan 09, 2010
the internet shows our true colors
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Nobody: 3:52am On Jan 09, 2010
bawomolo:

the internet shows our true colors

precisely the issue - the anonymity of the internet means that people get to say things they dare not say in public - no matter how much they claim to be outspoken or politically incorrect

no closets on the net
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by paddylo1(m): 3:54am On Jan 09, 2010
@ beaf

that was more than 10yrs ago. . . .

i guess the los angeles riots after rodney kings acquital shows that the average american is a racist and violent bigot

the infrequency of these things especially in the south
and even in most of the north tells u these are rather the exception than the rule
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Beaf: 4:07am On Jan 09, 2010
paddy_lo:

@ beaf

that was more than 10yrs ago. . . .

i guess the los angeles riots after rodney kings acquital shows that the average american is a racist and violent bigot

the infrequency of these things especially in the south
and even in most of the north tells u these are rather the exception than the rule

Your logic about the Los Angeles riots is faulty, if a sizeable enough portion of its population were racist and violent bigots, we wouldn't have had just the Rodney King beating; there would have been hundreds or thousands, perhaps almost war.
The riots in Lagos might have been more than 10 years ago, but 10 years is still a very short time. More important though, you should check my conclusion to get the context in which I made those examples.
Like I said, the word "bigot" is a very strong one indeed and the average Nigerian is not an ethnic bigot.
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Nobody: 4:23am On Jan 09, 2010
. . . thought those riots were just about area boys going crazy. undecided
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by Kobojunkie: 5:20am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

precisely the issue - the anonymity of the internet means that people get to say things they dare not say in public - no matter how much they claim to be outspoken or politically incorrect
no closets on the net

Exactly!
Re: Is The Average Nigerian An Ethnic And Religious Bigot? by WilyWily7: 10:43am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

Moslems are more hateful to Christains, be grateful to Christains for not taken retaliatory strikes after what your Terrorist Islamic brothers had done to them, Nothing good comes from Islam, if you doubt me mention one.
Katsumoto:

Don't be wary of your christian friends. I am a christian and most of my friends are muslims; I will never treat them differently because ignorant posts on NL and I would be offended if any of them did that to me.
Keep Treating them with kind, good for you.
Keep on having Muslims as friends, the day they will remember what Mohammed taught them to do Infidels, there will be no hiding place for you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Osisikankwu Was Killed – Goc 82 Div ! / Ekiti Govt Laments Rejection Of Unad Graduates By Banks / Is Abia The Worst State In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.