Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. (12244 Views)

Port-harcourt Is Igweocha! What Is The Yoruba Name Of Lagos? / Igwuocha (port Harcourt) Is Not Igboland? Now these pics confirm otherwise / "Port-Harcourt Is Part Of Igboland And Igbos Developed Lagos" - Pat Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by chrisxxx(m): 4:51pm On May 08, 2017
My erudite Prof. I envy your height in the world of economics. This is a subject you know too well. If we were to tell ourselves the truth you will be a permanent adviser on economics to AGIP(Any Government In Power). However nobody is an encyclopaedia or cornucopia of knowledge, no wonder you may not be too good in Geography. Port Harcourt is located outside the geographical entities occupied by the Igbos. They acquired from the indigenous settlers mainly the Ikwerres any landed property they own in Port Harcourt.
You may ask me, 'Who are the Ikwerres?'
I have personally asked people, my dad whom I think would tell me the gospel truth about my ethnic identity, my grandmother who was an Igbo woman if Ikwerre were at any time considered Igbos. My grandmum told me Ikwerres are not Igbos. She however said they shared a lot in common. My dad said they were never Igbos before and after the war. He continued that before the war the intimidation of the Igbos in Port Harcourt was so much that the average Ikwerre man risk being killed to disagree he was an Igbo man. He mentioned prominent Ikwerre men killed by the Igbos to serve as scapegoats or deterrent to anyone who would disagree.
You may take this testimony with a pinch of salt. I would crave your indulgence to also peruse below how the British found Southern Nigeria Protectorate more than 100 years ago. Please pay attention to the languages spoken in Southern Nigeria. For emphasis sake you'll find Ibo language along side Ikwerre.

Southern Nigeria Protectorate
Protectorate of the British Empire 1900–1914

Ensign Badge
Anthem-God Save the Queen
Southern Nigeria (red)
British possessions in Africa (pink)
Capital Lagos (administrative centre from 1906)
Languages English (official)
Yoruba, Igbo, Ibibio, Edo Ikwerre, Etche, Ijaw languages widely spoken

Religion Christianity, Odinani, Yoruba religion, Islam, African traditional religion
Government Constitutional monarchy
Monarch
• 1900–1901 Victoria
• 1901–1910 Edward VII
• 1910–1914 George V
High Commissioner
• 1900–1904 Ralph Moor
• 1904–1906 Walter Egerton
Governor
• 1906–1912 Walter Egerton
• 1912–1914 Frederick Lugard
Historical era New Imperialism
• Established 1 January 1900
• Disestablished 1 January 1914
Area
• 1913 206,888 km² (79,880 sq mi)
Population
• 1911 est. 7,855,749
Currency Pound sterling (1900–13)
British West African pound (1913–14)
Preceded by Succeeded by
Niger Coast Protectorate
Royal Niger Company
Benin Empire
Oyo Empire
Aro Confederacy
Kingdom of Nri
Wukari Federation

Nigeria Protectorate
source:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Nigeria_Protectorate
mynd44 lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by GodIsBiafran: 4:52pm On May 08, 2017
cool I respectfully disagree. Port Harcout is Igweocha. And it is a bonafide Igbo-land. Go and ask real historians and they would tell you that prior to the Civil War, the Ikwerres NEVER questioned their Igboness. The Civil War has done a number on the psyche of many Igbos and what alaigbo in general must do is to engage on an aggressive and relentless re-education campaign. I have no doubt in my mind that the Ikwerres will come around and embrace their true identity.

40 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Newmanluckyman(m): 4:54pm On May 08, 2017
... Inferiority complex at its peak.

4 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by zionmade(m): 4:59pm On May 08, 2017
Now go back and ask ur parents is Portharcourt in eastern Nigeria?
If yes den Portharcourt is a biafran land
Biafra has many ethnic groups of which ikwerre is one of dem.
There was never a south-south it is just a geo POLITICAL zone and not a GEOGRAPHICAL region.
In as much as i prefer biafra without d so called South south, truth must still be told

25 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by ayokellany: 5:07pm On May 08, 2017
GodIsBiafran:
cool I respectfully disagree. Port Harcout is Igweocha. And it is a bonafide Igbo-land. Go and ask real historians and they would tell you that prior to the Civil War, the Ikwerres NEVER questioned their Igboness. The Civil War has done a number on the psyche of many Igbos and what alaigbo in general must do is to engage on an aggressive and relentless re-education campaign. I have no doubt in my mind that the Ikwerres will come around and embrace their true identity.

You mean to force your identity on the Ikwerres either they like it or not just like Nigeria is forcing it's identity on the Igbos

26 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by chrisxxx(m): 5:07pm On May 08, 2017
zionmade:
There was never a south-south it is just a geo POLITICAL zone and not a GEOGRAPHICAL region.
In as much as i prefer biafra without d so called South south, truth must still be told
Biafra is a political name which may cover as much geographical areas of willing people. Being Biafra does not make one Igbo. Understand that.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by IgbosAreGreat(f): 5:10pm On May 08, 2017
port harcourt is not igboland pls

i know some people mis-quoted Pat Utomi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by IgbosAreGreat(f): 5:11pm On May 08, 2017
we all should stop all this nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by IgbosAreGreat(f): 5:12pm On May 08, 2017
port harcourt is niger delta property

so let this matter die

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by AkinPhysicist: 5:14pm On May 08, 2017
grin
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by bakynes(m): 5:20pm On May 08, 2017
We must understand something here that you can't force people to identify themselves with you. Egun and Itshekiri people bear Yoruba names but they are not Yorubas just as Ikwerres bear Igbo names but claim they are not Igbos.

I don't know of the Igbos but I know before the invasions by the colonial masters there was nothing like Yoruba but each sub group were living separately. The word Yoruba is a unifying factor to bring all the similar sub groups that speak the same language and had the same culture together as one. The Eguns and Itshekiri today are not under that umbrella called Yoruba but are very similar to the rest of us called Yoruba's.

Likewise Hausa,Fulani and Kanuris and Gwaris are all similar in culture, language and tradition.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:20pm On May 08, 2017
The status of Portharcourt is not what is up for contest.

Though the Okrika clan of Ijaw nation (which I belong to) own the Southern part of the city without dispute, there is still agitation that the entire PH belongs to Okrika, including the section occupied by Diobu people of Ikwerre, which was allegedly called "Igweocha". That however is a contest between the Ikwerre and Okrika clan of Ijaw nation.

Notwithstanding, it is out of place and inappropriate for anyone to think it is an Igbo city or any other tribe. Specifically, the Southern part is never up for contest.

It is funny however that the Okrikas are Ijaws, while the Ikwerre that is the other Party in the dispute claim to be a distinct group. I am not aware that the Igbos are laying claim, whether formally or otherwise to the city, except their claim is through the Ikwerre angle, which is the business between the Ikwerre and the Igbo.

lt is funny that indigenous people of the city aren't killing themselves over the subject but sadly a man who was supposed to be a respected professor, who isn't even a native of Rivers state took it upon himself to rekindle another round of social media controversy.

I can't help but comment on this for record sake.

Whatever the case, the lands were there before our birth, they will remain where they are after our death. Why should we kill ourselves?

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Basic123: 5:20pm On May 08, 2017
lets them have port Harcourt.They should have something similar to lagos.May be ,through that,they can leave lagos alone.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by GodIsBiafran: 5:29pm On May 08, 2017
ayokellany:

You mean to force your identity on the Ikwerres either they like it or not just like Nigeria is forcing it's identity on the Igbos

sorry, I thought you had sense.

19 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by GodIsBiafran: 5:33pm On May 08, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Though the Okrika clan of Ijaw nation (which I belong to) own the Southern part of the city without dispute, there is still agitation that the entire PH belongs to Okrika, including the section occupied by Diobu people of Ikwerre, which was allegedly called "Igweocha". That however is a contest between the Ikwerre and Okrika clan of Ijaw nation.

Notwithstanding, it is out of place and inappropriate for anyone to think it is an Igbo city or any other tribe. Specifically, the Southern part is never up for contest.

It is funny however that the Okrikas are Ijaws, while the Ikwerre that is the other Party in the dispute claim to be a distinct group. I am not aware that the Igbos are laying claim, whether formally or otherwise to the city, except their claim is through the Ikwerre angle, which is the business between the Ikwerre and the Igbo.

lt is funny that indigenous people of the city aren't killing themselves over the subject but sadly a man who was supposed to be a respected professor, who isn't even a native of Rivers state took it upon himself to rekindle another round of social media controversy.

Whatever the case, the lands were there before our birth, they will remain where they are after our death. Why should we kill ourselves?

Tonye - Ikwerres are Igbos. A true Ikwerre person will tell you this. The Ijaws in Southern Port Harcourt are not natives. They are visitors.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:38pm On May 08, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

Tonye - Ikwerres are Igbos. A true Ikwerre person will tell you this. The Ijaws in Southern Port Harcourt are not natives. They are visitors.
Whatever an Ikwerre man calls himself is his business. I think I can't be drawn into what Ikwerres say they are.

As for Southern PH, that is not even something to contest.

But you have the prerogative to decide your line of thought. If you say Ijaws (Okrikas) are visitors in our ancestral land in PH, it is your right, though it doesn't negate the facts on ground. I can't force you to think otherwise...

I won't discuss on the issue of PH to respect the existing peace pact between the Ikwerre group and Ijaw group. However, you are free to believe what you wish to.

I am out of this thread...

The battle for better society is my goal

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by AkinPhysicist: 5:39pm On May 08, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

WTF?!!!!!!!! grin Now I know why Northerners were slaughtering Iboes in Kano grin

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by bakynes(m): 5:42pm On May 08, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

WTF?!!!!!!!! grin Now I know why Northerners were slaughtering Iboes in Kano grin
I don't hate igbos but I can say they are one of the trouble maker tribes Nigeria.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by IgbosAreGreat(f): 5:43pm On May 08, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Pat Utomi did not say dat

he was quoted wrongly

i dont know y people always carry fake news around

4 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by GodIsBiafran: 5:44pm On May 08, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Whatever an Ikwerre man calls himself is his business. I think I can't be drawn into what Ikwerres say they are.

As for Southern PH, that is not even something to contest.

But you have the prerogative to decide your line of thought. If you say Ijaws (Okrikas) are visitors in our ancestral land in PH, it is your right, though it doesn't negate the facts on ground. I can't force you to think otherwise...

I won't discuss on the issue of PH to respect the existing peace pact between the Ikwerre group and Ijaw group. However, you are free to believe what you wish to.

I am out of this thread...

The battle for better society is my goal

In order to attain this 'better society' you have to learn the truth of history. The problem with so many Nigerians is the lack of history and historical context. I hope you will not cheaply fall into this category - because I see you as a reasonable person. I don't hate you or your people (the Ijaws) but the truth of history is that Ijaws are not native to Igweocha.

10 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 08, 2017
zionmade:
I like your style, you dont even see the need to sugar coat it grin You are a confirmed, unrepentant land grabber grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by GodIsBiafran: 5:47pm On May 08, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:

Pat Utomi did not say dat
he was quoted wrongly
i dont know y people always carry fake news around

angry Please woman go and cook for your children. Let the men do the talking. angry

Here. Help yourself:
http://punchng.com/abandoning-nnamdi-kanu-may-haunt-south-east-leaders-in-2019-pat-utomi/

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by IgbosAreGreat(f): 5:47pm On May 08, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

In order to attain this 'better society' you have to learn the truth of history. The pro blem with so many Nigerians is the lack of history and historical context. I hope you will not cheaply fall into this category - because I see you as a reasonable person. I don't hate you or your people (the Ijaws) but the truth of history is that Ijaws are not native to Igweocha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:49pm On May 08, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:
port harcourt is not igboland pls

i know some people mis-quoted Pat Utomi

My friend mind your business

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by AkinPhysicist: 5:54pm On May 08, 2017
bakynes:

I don't hate igbos but I can say they are one of the trouble maker tribes Nigeria.

shocked My brother - the few Igbos I know personally are nothing like this. But these Nnamdi Cownu disciples are something else. shocked

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by nwabobo: 6:02pm On May 08, 2017
chrisxxx:
My erudite Prof. I envy your height in the world of economics. This is a subject you know too well. If we were to tell ourselves the truth you will be a permanent adviser on economics to AGIP(Any Government In Power). However nobody is an encyclopaedia or cornucopia of knowledge, no wonder you may not be too good in Geography. Port Harcourt is located outside the geographical entities occupied by the Igbos. They acquired from the indigenous settlers mainly the Ikwerres any landed property they owe in Port Harcourt.
You may ask me, 'Who are the Ikwerres?'
I have personally asked people, my dad whom I think would tell me the gospel truth about my ethnic identity, my grandmother who was an Igbo woman if Ikwerre were at any time considered Igbos. My grandmum told me Ikwerres are not Igbos. She however said they shared a lot in common. My dad said they were never Igbos before and after the war. He continued that before the war the intimidation of the Igbos in Port Harcourt was so much that the average Ikwerre man risk being killed to disagree he was an Igbo man. He mentioned prominent Ikwerre men killed by the Igbos to serve as scapegoats or deterrent to anyone who would disagree.
You may take this testimony with a pinch of salt. I would crave your indulgence to also peruse below how the British found Southern Nigeria Protectorate more than 100 years ago. Please pay attention to the languages spoken in Southern Nigeria. For emphasis sake you'll find Ibo language along side Ikwerre.

Southern Nigeria Protectorate
Protectorate of the British Empire 1900–1914

Ensign Badge
Anthem-God Save the Queen
Southern Nigeria (red)
British possessions in Africa (pink)
Capital Lagos (administrative centre from 1906)
Languages English (official)
Yoruba, Igbo, Ibibio, Edo Ikwerre, Etche, Ijaw languages widely spoken

Religion Christianity, Odinani, Yoruba religion, Islam, African traditional religion
Government Constitutional monarchy
Monarch
• 1900–1901 Victoria
• 1901–1910 Edward VII
• 1910–1914 George V
High Commissioner
• 1900–1904 Ralph Moor
• 1904–1906 Walter Egerton
Governor
• 1906–1912 Walter Egerton
• 1912–1914 Frederick Lugard
Historical era New Imperialism
• Established 1 January 1900
• Disestablished 1 January 1914
Area
• 1913 206,888 km² (79,880 sq mi)
Population
• 1911 est. 7,855,749
Currency Pound sterling (1900–13)
British West African pound (1913–14)
Preceded by Succeeded by
Niger Coast Protectorate
Royal Niger Company
Benin Empire
Oyo Empire
Aro Confederacy
Kingdom of Nri
Wukari Federation

Nigeria Protectorate
source:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Nigeria_Protectorate
mynd44 lalasticlala

And your source is Wikipedia? Smh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Amberon: 6:08pm On May 08, 2017
When I and my neighbor were talking, I referred to an ikwerre as Igbo and she told me "No, he is not igbo, he is ikwerre". I was surprised and she reaffirmed that ikwerres were/are not Igbos.

While I was traveling I sat next to an ikwerre guy and I playfully called him a biafran? He said "what"? Which Biafra? Then I said "aren't you Igbo"? He said No and that no ikwerre sees himself as Igbo.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by zionmade(m): 6:14pm On May 08, 2017
chrisxxx:

Biafra is a political name which may cover as much geographical areas of willing people. Being Biafra does not make one Igbo. Understand that.
Now go back to my post u mentioned and read it line by line to d end.
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by leofab(f): 6:16pm On May 08, 2017
Na wah
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by zionmade(m): 6:17pm On May 08, 2017
kropotkin11:
I like your style, you dont even see the need to sugar coat it grin You are a confirmed, unrepentant land grabber grin
Am not here to do all those Rubbish u guys normally do. If there is anything false in my post den counter it. Also read my last sentence.
Wen u want to do all those Rubbish find ur mates

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Ikenna0b: 6:17pm On May 08, 2017
You came on NL to announce this to Pat Utomi? Is pat utomi a member of NL? You didn't see his Facebook page to share your disagreement nor his Twitter page, it is NL

Funny some igbo even stupidly fall for the continous behavior of belittling and tribalism probing the APC goats forming Patriots stay doing on this forum.

OP when you are done with your attention seeking. Go get some life

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by chrisxxx(m): 6:18pm On May 08, 2017
zionmade:

Now go back to my post u mentioned and read it line by line to d end.
One problem people like u have is seeing biafra as only ibos

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Osinbajo Recognises Beneficiary Of The Market Moni / June 12: What Are Your Plans? / ''PDP Deserves De-Registration For Utter Failure'' - Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.