Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,068 members, 7,956,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:47 AM

The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! (1944 Views)

My Idea Of Feminism / Misconception Of Feminism And Its Imminent Dangers To Rising Africans: Misscokie / Nigerian Ladies And The Misconception Of Feminism : Miss Cokie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by AyamStarch: 9:14am On May 09, 2017
Manliness and emotions have nothing to do with cultural stereotypes, these are natural courses..I don't know why feminists are trying so hard to upset the balance the male and female gender create

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by babyfaceafrica: 9:15am On May 09, 2017
The way Nigerian women carry this feminism matter for head set will not allow sensible men to join.to get people to join a movement or ideology,you need not to be brash,unruly and garrulous. Nl feminist are one if the worse bred of feminist I have come across in this era..no sense of civility and decorum...all they do is make noise without purpose.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by donmalcolm21(m): 9:21am On May 09, 2017
IHate9jerians:
Be more specific.What "African culture" does that scenario occur in?The African culture i grew up in,taught me to be self reliant and self sufficient and if you carryout a research on some african and south american societies,you would realize some were matriarchies.There have been so many queens and trendsetting women in our civilisations unfortunately,black africans contact with the foreign religions brought confusion to us till this very day.Look at the OP for example,she talks about feminism yet she had a dp that was sexually provocative a few months ago and she is married to a man who i am sure fends for her and her offsprings survival.Was that how African women of the past were?If you want to go in,go all in and quit dilly-dallying that is my response to all of these Nigerian pseudo feminists
Religion and African culture was fused together to bring harmony. Pray tell how many women that we can point out in African pre colonial history that left their footprint in the sands of time? Africa Culture today is not favourable disposed to Feminism because of our culture is rooted in Conservatism.

I can't point speak for Amarabae because she has her hands
To type and defend herself.

My question with you is, Has African Culture Undermined our Women?
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Diplomaticbeing(m): 9:23am On May 09, 2017
Personally, I love true - not wannabe - feminism proponents and practitioners. And I don't see myself happy putting up with a non feminist.

True feminist are propagators of freewill as a right for all while also upholding the philosophy that goodness towards others isn't negotiable. A strong believers of reciprocation. I see no evil in egalitarianism.

Wannabe feminists however are the worst forms of human beings. To them, rudeness, contentiousness and all accompanying vices that made up people of the manipulative ethical leanings are theirs to practice against the male folks. They're a contrast of true feminists. They long to domineer the male folks.

3 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Nobody: 9:24am On May 09, 2017
Amarabae:
Why do many people have misunderstanding of the word Feminism?
First and foremost, a lot of the lack of success in feminism comes from a general misunderstanding of
the movement. When someone hears the
term “feminism,” he or she tends to blindly
link it to a group of people requesting the
superiority of women.
A lot of self-proclaimed feminists are named
“men-haters” or “ugly women.” The
correlation of feminism to any of these
insulting slurs is simply non-existent.
Why is feminism tied to a negative feeling? I
believe a lot of it has to do with fear. Maybe
men fear they will somehow become inferior
to women. The truth is, feminism doesn’t
want to pit one gender against the other. It
simply wants equality.
Very few men know or recognize it, but they
need feminism just as much as women do.
Feminism covers all the ground of gender
equality.
Feminism tries to eliminate the stereotypes or
standards so many men are held up to.
Whether these standards are that men need
to be manly or unemotional, look a certain
way or act a certain way, feminism states that
no human should be held up to any single
standard or stereotype. In fact, it emphasizes
the fact that “boys and girls need to be raised
the same.”
As a society, we need to educate everyone
from a young age that there should be no
gender gap or gender discrimination. As
parents and individuals, we need to raise our
children in a way in which gender inequality
seems barbaric (because that’s what it is).
There are also more than a few women who
give the movement a bad name as well. They
bash it, saying it’s not necessary. These
women are the ones who tear the movement
down the most.
I think these women aren’t supporting the
movement because personally, they’ve never
felt oppressed or been targeted, blamed,
attacked or hushed away simply because
they’re women. But just because you may not
personally feel oppressed, that doesn’t
mean the larger issue of gender inequality
doesn’t exist.
I think the most effective tactic to get people
on board with the feminist movement is for
supporters to continuously spread knowledge
about what the movement is fighting for. I
believe most of the negative connotations
attached to any counter-culture movement
comes from the simple fact that a lot of
people don’t understand its motives.
Many people fear the societal changes any
such movement might bring about. Moving
forward, the goal of every feminist should be
to break down any miscommunication.
Explain the motive in a peaceful manner, and
use language that allows people to
understand that feminism will help lift every
single person to a more powerful place in
society. Feminism truly is for everyone.
Why did you copy and paste a work without reference to the work copied? This is plagiarism: a theft of intellectual property! Didn't you copy and paste this post from this site: https://www.google.com.ng/amp/elitedaily.com/life/understanding-men-also-benefit-feminism-incredibly-important/1479387/amp/

3 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Amarabae(f): 9:26am On May 09, 2017
AyamStarch:
Manliness and emotions have nothing to do with cultural stereotypes, these are natural courses..I don't know why feminists are trying so hard to upset the balance the male and female gender create
natural courses? balance between male and female gender?
kindly explain.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Marinee(f): 9:27am On May 09, 2017
AmaraBae..
Feminists don't act like that here, do they?
Let's be candid, the only thing feminists want is to have Equal power with men.
Just the power.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by VERDA: 9:34am On May 09, 2017
[quote author=Halfpenny post=56343395]Good luck educating these educated illiterates grin

Anything bad or negative, they just throw in feminism to the mix even when feminism has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. They want working, independent women so that they could save their change and in the same instance they throw a hissy fit because women want men to support them in the home since the woman's day is full. [/quote

You started with insults which speaks volumes about your person. A lot of men back then supported and even fought for the cause because its purpose was to give dignity to women,prevent widespread discrimination and assault to the female psyche,elevate women to their rightful place as not lesser humans but equals but a lot of our new generation feminist have turned it into a supremacy battle with their male counterparts.Sometimes when listen to our new generation self acclaimed feminists talk,i get scared for the future nuclear family.You hear a lot of I can't do this ND can't do that for a man I just laugh sometimes. Given what feminism was supposed to stand for.. ."I Am a feminist too".

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Amarabae(f): 9:39am On May 09, 2017
solasolasola:
Why did you copy and paste a work without reference to the work copied? This is plagiarism: a theft of intellectual property! Didn't you copy and paste this post from this site: https://www.google.com.ng/amp/elitedaily.com/life/understanding-men-also-benefit-feminism-incredibly-important/147938
how is that plagiarism? my own personal writeup about some issues in this topic is coming up.. I use this post as introduction.
plagiarism is when you claim that an intellectual property is yours, that is not the case here.
I saw the writeup,loved it and pasted it here.
not putting the link is the mistake here.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Nobody: 9:41am On May 09, 2017
Amarabae:

how is that plagiarism? my own personal writeup about some issues in this topic is coming up.. I use this post as introduction.
plagiarism is when you claim that an intellectual property is yours, that is not the case here.
Plagiarism is when you do not put the link!

4 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by poik(m): 9:43am On May 09, 2017
a man and a woman can NEVER be equal. In the eyes of nature, in the eyes of Scripture, in the eyes of God, and even in the eyes of common sense. There are some plausible angles to it though, but its all a scheme leading somewhere, which even the best of ardents don't realise yet.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Amarabae(f): 9:49am On May 09, 2017
solasolasola:
Plagiarism is when you do not put the link!
lol.
its a mistake.
I am compiling my own write ups about some issues of gender equalities and feminism as a whole.
i used that article as an intro thread.
have a nice day.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Nobody: 9:51am On May 09, 2017
Amarabae:

But u've just described plagiarism. By not including the link at the end u are claiming it to be urs. U didn't post ur own personal writeup but someone else's and didn't include the source you got it from ... plagiarism. Up till now u haven't added the source.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by Nobody: 9:53am On May 09, 2017
Amarabae:

lol.
its a mistake.
I am compiling my own write ups about some issues of gender equalities and feminism as a whole.
i used that article as an intro thread.
have a nice day.
Have a nice day, too.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Feminism! by HumanistMike(m): 3:36pm On Jul 15, 2017
Amarabae

Did you give your husband an engagement ring too during your courtship?

Also, hope you paid his groom price.

If you are a real feminist, you would have done all these. If you are a real Women's Right Activist, you'll encourage women to do this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Two Weeks Pregnancy Be Detected? / Is This The Right Way For Us To Make Love??? (pics) / Why Do Brides, Grooms Cry During Weddings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.