Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (42540 Views)

What Will You Say If The Interviewer Says "You Have 10 Minutes To Impress Me? / When The Interviewer Asks You If YOU Have Any Questions For THEM / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by just2endowed: 7:53am On May 12, 2017
Ma pitch my tent
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by willibounce1(m): 7:57am On May 12, 2017
This is like the 10th time this post is coming on FP. We don hear.

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Platinumay(m): 8:00am On May 12, 2017
You did a fantastic job bro. Thumbs up
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by anitank(f): 8:05am On May 12, 2017
If they don't want to know then they shouldn't be asking by throwing puzzle-like questions. I've attended an interview outside Nigeria and it was so much fun. The interviewers were very friendly yet professional. All you need is be expressive and articulate and know your stuff, and be rest assured you'd get the job. It's only in Nigeria you need to be some sort of genius with Albert Einstein type IQ before you can ace and interview. Pity!

4 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by TrapHedges(m): 8:05am On May 12, 2017
Lol am out here feeling like i already got the job

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by 1stNumeroUno: 8:11am On May 12, 2017
WhistleB:
My friend you have done a good work here? Keep it up. Permit me to print and give this to my girlfriend who is due for an interview soon.

Sir, hope permission was granted. Please, don't PRINT, just go 'green' by directing your lady to the link.

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by babacares: 8:19am On May 12, 2017
lalabrother:
No one would believe you if you say you have no weakness.

To answer this question, start by mentioning the weakness, how it poses a problem to your work or career and how you’ve started to work on improving.

Take this for instance:

Question: What is your greatest weakness?

Wrong answer: Hmmn, my greatest weakness is to sleep. I could sleep all day…

Right answer: I used to have to have a problem with time management and this affected me every time I tried to multitask. Currently, I’m working on this through the use of certain time management tools.

4. What did you Hate About your Last Job?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to spill all the beans about why you hated your boss, the work, the timing - all of it! This is wrong, because the interviewers might already begin to picture you sitting elsewhere and literally dragging their name and their organisation in the mud as well.’

To answer this question, start by saying how beneficial the job was, before going to state one or two things you could have changed, if given the opportunity. Also, explain why you think the role you are now applying for is a better fit.

If you did not hate your last job, you can say so. This response can also be adapted, just in case you are asked why you are leaving your current position.

Take this for instance:

Question: What did you hate about your last job?

Wrong answer: Ooh, my boss! I hated my boss! …

Right answer: Well, my last job did offer me an opportunity to learn and grow in my career. However, I think it would have been better if such opportunity was granted in a less hostile work environment... I believe that working here would not just give me a better opportunity to grow, but also a conducive and comfortable work environment, which is very important to growth.

5. How much are you looking to be paid?

Now, this question is tricky because well, money is involved and while you don’t want to short-change yourself, you wouldn’t want to price yourself out of range either!

I know money is very important but when asked this question, don’t jump at the opportunity to scream ‘one million naira!’ Instead, you should have done your research on the organisation you are coming into and how much is standard for the role you are applying for.

If you are aware of how much the company really wants to hire you, say because of your expertise and skills, you can negotiate your salary right there. However, if this is not the case, you’ll need to fall back on the information you’ve gathered on what the going rate is, for the position you’re being interviewed for. In the worst case scenarios, you can request to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits packages. You should also mention how you are willing to discuss further when the time is right.

Take this for instance:

Question: How much are you looking to be paid?

Wrong answer: I can’t take anything less than ‘One million naira’!

Right answer: That's a fair question. To answer it properly, I'd need to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits package. I am quite confident that knowing the reputation of the company, when the time comes, any offer you make will be competitive.”

There you have it, the simple ways to answer tricky questions in your next job interview. Of course, there are quite a lot more tricky questions than I’ve listed.
this is not always the case, sometimes (like the interview i have some times back), you will asked to give a limit for them to include in their report.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by dizzle101(m): 8:24am On May 12, 2017
WhistleB:
My friend you have done a good work here? Keep it up. Permit me to print and give this to my girlfriend who is due for an interview soon.
At your age you still dey do boyfriend and girlfriend.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Iggyok(m): 8:36am On May 12, 2017
This is great.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by LoveJesus87(m): 8:43am On May 12, 2017
lalabrother:
thanks
I think you guys should call lalasticlala , Seun , mynd44 , Dominique to help move this to FP as there are a lot out there that needs this info
Lala ke? You didn't put snake there naw
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Benjom(m): 8:51am On May 12, 2017
This is an insightful post. Thanks OP.

As a job seeker, your primary aim is to get before the recruiter and that can be effortlessly achieved with a well written CV. Here are samples of such catchy CVs: www..com

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Xzbit91: 8:58am On May 12, 2017
lalabrother:
thanks
I think you guys should call lalasticlala , Seun , mynd44 , Dominique to help move this to FP as there are a lot out there that needs this info

OP, at least reference your source.

zazawaga posted same thing and was moved to front page on 27th April.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Xzbit91: 9:00am On May 12, 2017
willibounce1:
This is like the 10th time this post is coming on FP. We don hear.

Shey you noticed too. I discovered its different OP sef
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Matthew4sure(m): 9:04am On May 12, 2017
thanks for info
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by okudaniel: 9:11am On May 12, 2017
wink
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by silverr(f): 9:21am On May 12, 2017
Nawa o.
So nobody will fail questions again?
What shall it profit us if the wrong person passes the interview. You can pass the interview, can you change your personality to be what they thought you were?
That's why we have angry staffs giving clients attitude up and down.
If I catch you fine tuning your answers, I won't even give you tfare after the interview.

You don't need to pretend to be what you're not to get a job you won't like just for a paycheck. Yours is coming.
E.g I know an ICT expert who told me frankly that he can't work under someone for more than 5yrs cus he wants to be his own boss too. He also said he can't be happy earning less than 350k cus he won't be able to save for his dream.
I couldn't hire him because he priced higher than we could afford but that day, I got a mail from a friend in usa saying that they needed an African (not a Nigerian) for a contract of 2yrs. Pay was $40 per hour. No added benefits.
I couldn't think of a better person than him and I wasn't going to let NAIJA stop him, I got him an African country's passport with a Nigerian visa. Weeks later, he was on his way to USA. Now, he doesn't have to work five years again, cus after two years, he'll have more than enough to start his company.
If he had lied to take my job, he won't even have lasted and he may not have enough to start after the five years sef.

4 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by pkang: 9:25am On May 12, 2017
rman:

I did at least 3 interviews last year, got one of the roles..I have more than 8yrs work experience. I can assure you , all the companies I have interviewed with never asled me those questions.

They go straight to the point and already have HR models for questioning for specific roles to deterrmine not only role fit but culture fit.

In some cases , you do presentations and they ask some questions about your slides or solution and that is all.

I was having a discussion with my Manager about some stuffs. He then reminded me of a girl who came for job. He told me, he asked her, Where do you See Yourself in Five Years?
And she was like " I am not sure I am going to be here for one year"

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Nuel25846(m): 9:47am On May 12, 2017
Impressive. wink
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by tuoyoojo(m): 9:49am On May 12, 2017
I enjoyed this write up.kudos to the OP
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by fitzmayowa: 9:53am On May 12, 2017
good stuff
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by ephi123(f): 9:54am On May 12, 2017
rman:

I did at least 3 interviews last year, got one of the roles..I have more than 8yrs work experience. I can assure you , all the companies I have interviewed with never asled me those questions.

They go straight to the point and already have HR models for questioning for specific roles to deterrmine not only role fit but culture fit.

In some cases , you do presentations and they ask some questions about your slides or solution and that is all.

That's because you were an experienced hire. For those just starting out in their careers, they will be asked majority of these questions.

Great thread OP.

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by ChukaLupin(m): 9:57am On May 12, 2017
shirgles:
Good info i
good info i good info j good info l

good info z
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by skywalker001(m): 10:31am On May 12, 2017
Op why u no add d source

Don't tak glory for another man's effort...

I've read this same points word for word on a page b4
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Zizer17(m): 10:32am On May 12, 2017
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:35am On May 12, 2017
if you dont have a high IQ and socializing quotient there is no way you can answer like the OP.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by pjecly: 10:39am On May 12, 2017
This is interesting and quite educative
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Jogele7: 12:18pm On May 12, 2017
Very insightful.. ..nice One.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Beckyodafe(f): 12:50pm On May 12, 2017
Pls i need clarification on this issue: if you're asked to submit 10 copies of application accompanied with academic records, cv and 2 passports, does it imply that you attach your credentials and 2 passports + CV to all10 copies of the application letter?
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by freetongue(m): 1:29pm On May 12, 2017
lalabrother:
So some graduates are through with NYSC, which means that we have new entrants into the labour market, hence the need to share this post as the search for jobs begins for them.

A job interview does not have to be tense. In fact, you may find yourself with a very friendly panel, who will go all out to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

However, irrespective of the size and manner of the panel you are faced with, what is required of you is confidence and of course, the appropriate answers to every question you are asked. This part is what’s tricky.

So, in this post, we’d be looking at the simple ways to answer 5 tricky questions you are likely to get in your job interview.

1. Tell Me About Yourself.
This question seems very straightforward. Usually, the first you’d be asked in an interview. However, it is tricky because though it sounds like an invitation to tell your life story, it is not.

When asked the ‘tell me about yourself’ question, what the hiring panel is actually asking you is to tell them about yourself, as it pertains to the position you are applying for.

With this in mind, you should not begin to share generic information about yourself, your family or how many siblings you have. Rather, you could start with your name, academic qualifications, present skills and strengths, previous experiences as well as future professional aspirations. You should also feel free to ask the interviewers for clarifications, just in case there are specific information they’d like to hear about.

Take this for instance:

Question: Tell us a bit about yourself.

Wrong Answer: Hmmn, where do I start? My name is Oluwaseun. I was born in the late 80s and currently married with 6 kids. …

Right Answer: My name is Oluwaseun, a second-year master’s student of marketing communications at the Lagos Business School. Prior to pursing this degree, I worked with the marketing and communications department at Shell, where I developed and honed my skills in copywriting and digital marketing. This experience really piqued my interest in this field and I look forward to an opportunity to learn more and contribute to your marketing communications department…

2. Where do you See Yourself in Five Years?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to say everything you see yourself doing in five years and completely miss the mark. Like the first question, your answer should be much more professional than personal. What the hiring panel really wants to know is if you are going to stick with them and if you are worth the investment of training.

To answer this question, you could tell them how you think the job will provide you with so many opportunities, such that in 5 years, you'd be in a particular position within the organisation. You can also explain what value you hope to have added as well as how you could also have improved yourself professionally in that time.

Take this for instance:

Question: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Wrong Answer: In five years, I’d be a millionaire, enjoying life. I’d have built a house and would probably be the CEO of this company …

Right answer: In five years, I hope to have acquired a lot of knowledge in marketing communications, as well as contributed immensely to the growth of my department and the company. I’m also looking forward to eventually taking on additional managerial responsibilities and possibly taking the lead on some projects…

3. What is your Greatest Weakness?

Like the first two, this question is also very tricky because you might be tempted to give personal, instead of professional answers.
When asked this question, what interviewers actually want to know is if or not you are consciously aware of the areas you could improve on. Your weakness does not have to be present. It could be something that you’ve already worked on, but say it anyway. I’d advise that you think about this question before the interview, so you don’t give a generic answer or be at a loss of what to say.

Based on experience as HR....I think the best approach to that question " Tell me about you" , "Who is Tunde Yakub Obinna" or "Can We/I know you" is to use E.E.S
E....Education. Tell them your education and qualification.
E...Experience. Tell them your experience, emphasising on those one that relates with the job you are being interview for.
S....Skills. Tell them about the skill you have gathered from your experience. Emphasize the skills that the job require.

Using this approach makes your response well structure and allow you to have free flow of thought. Do not talk about anything personal e.g family, favourite food etc!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by IdeyVex1(m): 1:38pm On May 12, 2017
Well, I have interviewed people and I think I disagree with Number 5. When you are asked how much you want to earn, please do not go on a roundabout saying how the company has a compensation\benefit plan. State exactly how much you want to be paid for your services. It shows you are confident, know what you are worth and how much you want to get for your services. Not every company should be able to afford you.

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by uvalued(m): 2:45pm On May 12, 2017
Okwori12:
Great info... I love that
i second3d,thordind
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by sharpwriter(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2017
Hmmmn

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APPLY FOR PTDF GEOSCIENCES TRANING PROGRAMME (GTP) / New Job / What Skill Can I Learn In A Short Time To Start Making Money ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.