Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (42517 Views)

What Will You Say If The Interviewer Says "You Have 10 Minutes To Impress Me? / When The Interviewer Asks You If YOU Have Any Questions For THEM / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 12:34pm On May 09, 2017
So some graduates are through with NYSC, which means that we have new entrants into the labour market, hence the need to share this post as the search for jobs begins for them.

A job interview does not have to be tense. In fact, you may find yourself with a very friendly panel, who will go all out to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

However, irrespective of the size and manner of the panel you are faced with, what is required of you is confidence and of course, the appropriate answers to every question you are asked. This part is what’s tricky.

So, in this post, we’d be looking at the simple ways to answer 5 tricky questions you are likely to get in your job interview.

1. Tell Me About Yourself.
This question seems very straightforward. Usually, the first you’d be asked in an interview. However, it is tricky because though it sounds like an invitation to tell your life story, it is not.

When asked the ‘tell me about yourself’ question, what the hiring panel is actually asking you is to tell them about yourself, as it pertains to the position you are applying for.

With this in mind, you should not begin to share generic information about yourself, your family or how many siblings you have. Rather, you could start with your name, academic qualifications, present skills and strengths, previous experiences as well as future professional aspirations. You should also feel free to ask the interviewers for clarifications, just in case there are specific information they’d like to hear about.

Take this for instance:

Question: Tell us a bit about yourself.

Wrong Answer: Hmmn, where do I start? My name is Oluwaseun. I was born in the late 80s and currently married with 6 kids. …

Right Answer: My name is Oluwaseun, a second-year master’s student of marketing communications at the Lagos Business School. Prior to pursing this degree, I worked with the marketing and communications department at Shell, where I developed and honed my skills in copywriting and digital marketing. This experience really piqued my interest in this field and I look forward to an opportunity to learn more and contribute to your marketing communications department…

2. Where do you See Yourself in Five Years?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to say everything you see yourself doing in five years and completely miss the mark. Like the first question, your answer should be much more professional than personal. What the hiring panel really wants to know is if you are going to stick with them and if you are worth the investment of training.

To answer this question, you could tell them how you think the job will provide you with so many opportunities, such that in 5 years, you'd be in a particular position within the organisation. You can also explain what value you hope to have added as well as how you could also have improved yourself professionally in that time.

Take this for instance:

Question: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Wrong Answer: In five years, I’d be a millionaire, enjoying life. I’d have built a house and would probably be the CEO of this company …

Right answer: In five years, I hope to have acquired a lot of knowledge in marketing communications, as well as contributed immensely to the growth of my department and the company. I’m also looking forward to eventually taking on additional managerial responsibilities and possibly taking the lead on some projects…

3. What is your Greatest Weakness?

Like the first two, this question is also very tricky because you might be tempted to give personal, instead of professional answers.
When asked this question, what interviewers actually want to know is if or not you are consciously aware of the areas you could improve on. Your weakness does not have to be present. It could be something that you’ve already worked on, but say it anyway. I’d advise that you think about this question before the interview, so you don’t give a generic answer or be at a loss of what to say.

92 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 12:37pm On May 09, 2017
No one would believe you if you say you have no weakness.

To answer this question, start by mentioning the weakness, how it poses a problem to your work or career and how you’ve started to work on improving.

Take this for instance:

Question: What is your greatest weakness?

Wrong answer: Hmmn, my greatest weakness is to sleep. I could sleep all day…

Right answer: I used to have to have a problem with time management and this affected me every time I tried to multitask. Currently, I’m working on this through the use of certain time management tools.

4. What did you Hate About your Last Job?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to spill all the beans about why you hated your boss, the work, the timing - all of it! This is wrong, because the interviewers might already begin to picture you sitting elsewhere and literally dragging their name and their organisation in the mud as well.’

To answer this question, start by saying how beneficial the job was, before going to state one or two things you could have changed, if given the opportunity. Also, explain why you think the role you are now applying for is a better fit.

If you did not hate your last job, you can say so. This response can also be adapted, just in case you are asked why you are leaving your current position.

Take this for instance:

Question: What did you hate about your last job?

Wrong answer: Ooh, my boss! I hated my boss! …

Right answer: Well, my last job did offer me an opportunity to learn and grow in my career. However, I think it would have been better if such opportunity was granted in a less hostile work environment... I believe that working here would not just give me a better opportunity to grow, but also a conducive and comfortable work environment, which is very important to growth.

5. How much are you looking to be paid?

Now, this question is tricky because well, money is involved and while you don’t want to short-change yourself, you wouldn’t want to price yourself out of range either!

I know money is very important but when asked this question, don’t jump at the opportunity to scream ‘one million naira!’ Instead, you should have done your research on the organisation you are coming into and how much is standard for the role you are applying for.

If you are aware of how much the company really wants to hire you, say because of your expertise and skills, you can negotiate your salary right there. However, if this is not the case, you’ll need to fall back on the information you’ve gathered on what the going rate is, for the position you’re being interviewed for. In the worst case scenarios, you can request to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits packages. You should also mention how you are willing to discuss further when the time is right.

Take this for instance:

Question: How much are you looking to be paid?

Wrong answer: I can’t take anything less than ‘One million naira’!

Right answer: That's a fair question. To answer it properly, I'd need to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits package. I am quite confident that knowing the reputation of the company, when the time comes, any offer you make will be competitive.”

There you have it, the simple ways to answer tricky questions in your next job interview. Of course, there are quite a lot more tricky questions than I’ve listed.

123 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Okwori12(m): 1:02pm On May 09, 2017
Great info... I love that

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by WhistleB(m): 1:18pm On May 09, 2017
My friend you have done a good work here? Keep it up. Permit me to print and give this to my girlfriend who is due for an interview soon.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by gelagela(f): 1:54pm On May 09, 2017
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by shirgles(m): 1:58pm On May 09, 2017
Good info i
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 3:24pm On May 09, 2017
shirgles:
Good info i
gelagela:
Nice one
WhistleB:
My friend you have done a good work here? Keep it up. Permit me to print and give this to my girlfriend who is due for an interview soon.
Okwori12:
Great info... I love that
thanks
I think you guys should call lalasticlala , Seun , mynd44 , Dominique to help move this to FP as there are a lot out there that needs this info

10 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by shollay09(m): 4:05pm On May 09, 2017
simple and yet precise.... nice write up

2 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by ganiyu26(m): 5:12pm On May 09, 2017
FP please. kudos to u op
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Austa20: 7:17pm On May 09, 2017
big tanx guy
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by rman: 7:25pm On May 09, 2017
Multinational organizatons are moving away from this generic questions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 7:31pm On May 09, 2017
rman:
Multinational organisatoons are moving away from this generic questions.

there's no organization you will go for interview without being asked at least 4 out of those 5 questions in this post

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 09, 2017
Educative and informative, I score you 99.9% weldone sir

@lalabroda how is lala him sef ? Hope he is fyn ?

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by rman: 8:25pm On May 09, 2017
lalabrother:
there's no organization you will go for interview without being asked at least 4 out of those 5 questions in this post

I did at least 3 interviews last year, got one of the roles..I have more than 8yrs work experience. I can assure you , all the companies I have interviewed with never asked me those questions.

They go straight to the point and already have HR models for questioning for specific roles to deterrmine not only role fit but culture fit.

In some cases , you do presentations and they ask some questions about your slides or solution and that is all.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Erums(m): 9:01pm On May 09, 2017
This is a great info for newbies even older dogs.... I saw a likely like dis online then... I used for my oral interview..... I now work eith the company for a year now..... Go practice this instead of checking out nonsense threads

3 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Ayobamms: 10:20pm On May 09, 2017
Kudos to you, op.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 12:53pm On May 10, 2017
Am still waiting for this post to hit fp
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Hemanwel(m): 1:24pm On May 10, 2017
Nice... OP!
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 8:44am On May 11, 2017
Hemanwel:
Nice... OP!
my pleasure
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by lalabrother: 6:54am On May 12, 2017
Erums:
This is a great info for newbies even older dogs.... I saw a likely like dis online then... I used for my oral interview..... I now work eith the company for a year now..... Go practice this instead of checking out nonsense threads
cool
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by ednut1(m): 7:37am On May 12, 2017
Truth. Interviewer : what activities or leadership role were in involved in during nysc or uni. In reality i did none. Bt if u tell dem dat ur not getting dat job lol. If man no lie e for still dey jobless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by eluquenson(m): 7:37am On May 12, 2017
Nice info
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by opeolu202: 7:38am On May 12, 2017
g
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by clems88(m): 7:38am On May 12, 2017
Nice one op
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by clems88(m): 7:39am On May 12, 2017
opeolu202:
g
g strings grin

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by opalu: 7:40am On May 12, 2017
HOW TO MOVE FROM A JOB-SEEKER TO A JOB-CREATOR

1. Work to learn- Whatever Job you are taking should primarily be the one that will afford you the opportunity to master as many vital relevant skills that you will need to be independent as quickly as possible. If you are a secretary that wants to set up a Consultancy firm, then you must prefer a low paying secretary job in consultancy firm that looks like it rather than a big salary paying job. There are so many persons who worked for decades but became redundant and misfits for any other work. They sacrificed their dream companies/businesses on the altar of salaries.

2. Master the Art of Selling- The greatest business skill on earth is how to convince people to take actions that they wouldn't have ever taken. That is selling. That is also called managing people. Search all those who are poor in life, they are poor marketers. They hate to sell anything even themselves. Or they have nothing to sell. angry But consider a man who is a Success in any field, and you would know he is a Master-Salesman. Be it in Politics, In Sports, in Academics, in Ministry, in Manufacturing or in Entertainment etc. The number 1 thing you sell is yourself. The number 2 thing you sell is your services. When you don't make yourself NEEDED, you will always be in NEED. Quote me anywhere.

3. Find an Under Served Market-segment and package a business to serve them:-
For instance years back, I saw that in Abuja almost all architects were using hand to draw and use tracing paper to trace them out. I was very good with that kind of drawing. In fact it was my hobby. But I learnt of a new soft ware called AutoCAD. So I paid someone to train me. Then I went into the City and placed several gigantic banners for AUTOCAD training. I didn't know it was against the law to place banners then. But the boldness with which I did it made people think I must be a highly connected man to have done that. They didn't know the venue: "NASS quarters Business Centre" was just an arrangement I had with a man I just met the previous day. From then I knew that if you are bold enough, even fear will fear you fearfully.
That training attracted too many professionals even from the military circles. I built my house after then undecided
The point there is that you need to search out a very hungry group of customers and meet their need with superb service/product.

4. Work for free now if that is the only way to learn what you need to achieve your dream.
If you offer to work for free in any company for a period of time, it is hard for any CEO or company to turn you down. The story I narrated in number 3 above, do you know what I was in Abuja to do? I was there to work for CCECC for free!!! They were building the NCC Headquarters near Transcorp Hotel (Nicon Nuga). The NCC project from the picture I saw was a marvellous Cylindrical Structure that President Obasanjo saw in China and bought the plans and engage the Chinese to build same for him for National Communications Commission NCC.
When I saw they were just starting it, I vowed to myself that I MUST be part of this project. I offered to work for free. The Project Manager a Chinko guy agreed at once. I resumed the next day. That was where I mastered Batching plant technology. How to pump wet concrete from a far distance to the entire construction point. How to use equipment to bend quantum number of rebars, how to hire and fire on site etc. After then I have done several gigantic projects with Germans, Russians, Europeans, etc. But no longer free but I used the first to ground my teeth in the field. Happily today I own my own construction company www.daystarshelter.com

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Goldenheart(m): 7:42am On May 12, 2017
cool
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by donbrowser(m): 7:43am On May 12, 2017
I found a flaw. Brb

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Langbasa: 7:45am On May 12, 2017
What of people like me wey no go school?
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by nmreports: 7:47am On May 12, 2017
How to answer this precisely in a practical way was shared here: https://www.nairaland.com/3651114/how-answer-tell-us-yourself
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by jelil01: 7:48am On May 12, 2017
Nice 1
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Tazdroid(m): 7:50am On May 12, 2017
I trust some interviewees grin

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself

Interviewee: Oh, I was born by 12.00 in the midnight on the eve of Workers' day. The

doctor said I weighed 8 kg and there was no tool to cut my umbilical cord so they

kept me in a bowl while a nurse went to buy scissors

Interviewer:

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Job / 9 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview / My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.