Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,452 members, 7,770,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:32 AM

Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? (163187 Views)

Help!! I Am Getting Addicted To Soft Drinks. / See What I Found Inside A Soft Drink / How To Make Soft Chin-chin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Kx: 12:30pm On Jan 12, 2010
Here is a myth i was told while growing up

[b]To soften a hard/tough meat,cook it alongside 3 or 4 inch nails.[/b]I never confirmed it though
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by rosyhayler(f): 1:38pm On Jan 12, 2010
i go with the garlic and ginger with onions, in the end u wont regret it , cos it would be soo tastee,
besides if u dont have all these at hand , maggi and onion with medium heat will do ,
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Toppiano(m): 2:01pm On Jan 12, 2010
Why much ado about nothing.
Option 1: Chant dis juju Ohun a wi fogbo logbo ngbo, eyi a wi fogba logba ngba, yo bale yo bale ni labalaba fi wogbo. pue grin
even if u no cook the thing go soft.
Option 2: Go grind the thing for machine. tongue
Option 3: Pour some acid shocked
Option 4: Just eat am like dat grin
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by iyeayo(f): 2:45pm On Jan 12, 2010
I am suprised at the lengthy gazillion responses to this simple question. grin. Please invest in a good pressure cooker. With the one I use, once the meat is boiling and the pressure is built, there is a small knob that jumps up and a loud hooting noise that goes on and on. I let this go on for about 10mins and then switch off the heat. It will keep on hooting and cooking until the pressure reduces and the noise stops. This is the best way to cook tough meat. It is the fastest and surest way to cook meat, beans etc. With pressure cooker, if you are not careful, your meat will turn to jelly from too much pressure.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by rutee(f): 4:10pm On Jan 12, 2010
Just cook it with garlic, ginger, curry onions, salt and maggi thats all
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2010
am I the only Nigerian here?

what I learnt is you add diced green pawpaw to the pot and cook it together with the meat.

The unripe pawpaw releases an enzyme that's a meat softener.

I learnt this at a cookout or family affair in the village. Or was it from my mum.

Am I alone in this world abi no be the same Nigeria we dey?

not knocking other suggestions but I'm surprised nobody mentioned the green pawpaw and the thread has reached three pages.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by iz2much: 4:36pm On Jan 12, 2010
next time use garlic, dont add it too much if you dont want it to be as soft as paper
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by spikedcylinder: 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2010
Never heard of the green papaya recipe.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Never heard of the green papaya recipe.

and I thought it was common knowledge.

apparently its not.

Some of the older generation might know of it sha. Grandmas, great grandmas, etc. Or maybe its not a widespread practice.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by netotse(m): 4:53pm On Jan 12, 2010
tpia.:

and I thought it was common knowledge.

apparently its not.

Some of the older generation might know of it sha. Grandmas, great grandmas, etc. Or maybe its not a widespread practice.
spikey cant cook. . .dont mind her
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by koolchicco: 4:56pm On Jan 12, 2010
tpia.:

and I

Some of the older generation might know of it sha. Grandmas, great grandmas, etc.

Tells more about your age (Agadi Nwanyi). tongue
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by agabaI23(m): 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2010
tpia.:

am I the only Nigerian here?

what I learnt is you add diced green pawpaw to the pot and cook it together with the meat.

[b]The unripe pawpaw releases an enzyme that's a meat softener.[/b]I learnt this at a cookout or family affair in the village. Or was it from my mum.

Am I alone in this world abi no be the same Nigeria we dey?

not knocking other suggestions but I'm surprised nobody mentioned the green pawpaw and the thread has reached three pages.
That sounds cool. The papain enzyme from pawpaw juice may be from the same family as the calpain enzyme contained the muscles which is chiefly responsible for tenderising meat.
Who say we no know technology?
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by spikedcylinder: 7:04pm On Jan 12, 2010
netotse:

spikey cant cook. . .dont mind her

Lol. Is that what obtains for you?
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by twinskenny(m): 8:10pm On Jan 12, 2010
@Omo Ibo

are u single? i thought yu are married grin grin
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by neweyes: 8:45pm On Jan 12, 2010
You can use vinegar. Add vinegar when marinating the food. It works always for me
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by twinskenny(m): 8:49pm On Jan 12, 2010
use local pot, trust me it work grin grin grin
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by chidexy(m): 11:41pm On Jan 12, 2010
freshly pressed pineapple juice or pawpaw will do the job or you soak the meat in Cola (coca cola, pepsi or any of the generics) for about 5 mins before boiling.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by mamagee3(f): 12:46am On Jan 13, 2010
Cook the meat in a controlled heat temperature
You can also add enough ingredients like Onions,
pepper and extra litre of water for the meat to cook well
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by whassup: 2:05am On Jan 13, 2010
female meat is tougher and put nail wen boiling
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by maedan(f): 3:06am On Jan 13, 2010
lastpage:

By the way, which kin persin call "Alum" as "Kaun" (Potash)?
No kill person for house O!

See as im dey wink before Uncle do justice for-am grin

Sooo, in-house comedian, what then is alum? Just make your point and move on without seeking too much attention to yourself over kitchen matters.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by ajilete(f): 6:49am On Jan 13, 2010
@tpia is totally correct. Cook with unripe pawpaw, the green one. Or wash an unripe pawpaw and slice cuts in it, collect the white milky sap like juice and pour into meat and cook. The secret is that unripe pawpaw, its skin, its leaves and stalks contain papaine an enzyme that disolves protein. this is why eating pawpaw after a meal will stop constipation. the unripe green pawpaw contains the most papine.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by biina: 7:44am On Jan 13, 2010
The best approach for tenderizing meat is to marinate it in a solution that contains a mild acid like from lime or lemon, s it adds additional flavor to the meat. The acid helps to unwind the complex protein chains
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by otukpo(f): 8:06am On Jan 13, 2010
i think garlic, ginger, and onion while cooking it in low heat will do.

Pls avoid using potash, (kaun, alum) in cooking ur meat. Though i have never seen it done, its not good for ur health.

Just heard so many things for the first time here.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Mandora(f): 9:33am On Jan 13, 2010
Wat I usually do 4 parts of meat shaki, cow leg n others is dat I add a little glutamate just as I have brought d meat 4rm d mkt. Den I boil it 4 a period. After 10 to 15 minutes, I wash of the glutamate of the meat and den u can spice it. Do not spice until u have initially boild with glutamate n washed off the glutamate.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by SisiKill1: 10:17am On Jan 13, 2010
Cook it with a spoon.

This is what someone told me recently. Allah!

2 Likes

Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by spikedcylinder: 11:40am On Jan 13, 2010
Over sabi, Alum is different from Kaun (Potash).
Alum is for external use. . . .the stuff they use in boarding houses to make water clean and lots of people use it as female douch.
Kaun is the one used to cook.
I too know. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by uzoo: 12:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
@poster

boil with a pressure cooker .,it doesn't only soften the meat in less than 30 mins , but it saves you gas/electricity.

but make sure you don't over boil ,otherwise it will become too soft.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Hauwa1: 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
meat, that artery clogger, i wouldn't bother myself.
nig meat is hard it is like cooking and chewing rocks!

salmon rocks!
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by maedan(f): 6:55pm On Jan 13, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Over sabi, Alum is different from Kaun (Potash).
Alum is for external use. . . .the stuff they use in boarding houses to make water clean and lots of people use it as female douch.
Kaun is the one used to cook.
I too know. undecided undecided undecided

See pot calling kettle. Correction is tastier without adding insalt tongue. You of all people should know that.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by netotse(m): 10:09pm On Jan 13, 2010
@maedan
u jst had to bring u lots fight to the kitchen. . .[sub]cant u girls behave? I hereby ban u from my bed for one night. . .that ought to teach u[sub]
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by olachy: 1:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
dnt knw if u knw what they call akaun, or potash, it looks like a stone like this, ehennn, just cut a small piece, small ppiece oh, and drop it wen ur boilin, usin a pressure cooker will also help greatly,
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Dimka76(m): 7:48pm On Jan 14, 2010
alum, i think is the exact opposite of kaun, potash.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Looking For A Thread? Please Look In Here. (Food Library) / The Official Nairaland Kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Baby Food Recipes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.