Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,592 members, 7,770,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:36 AM

Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? (163190 Views)

Help!! I Am Getting Addicted To Soft Drinks. / See What I Found Inside A Soft Drink / How To Make Soft Chin-chin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by maedan(f): 8:01pm On Jan 14, 2010
Dimka 76:

alum, i think is the exact opposite of kaun, potash.

Thank you o jare, I meant to say potash, can't imagine why I said alum. It's been a while since I've seen/used local ingredients for my dishes.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by harakiri(m): 6:02pm On Jan 18, 2010
Keep boiling the damn thing till it gets soft. . .preferably at low heat. E no get craze. . .e must soft by fire, by force. Fire, Fire, Fire. . .Die, Die, Die (where are the MFM members. . .lol grin)

1 Like

Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by mohawkchic(f): 7:43pm On Jan 19, 2010
~My meat is usually pre-packed & frozen. . i defrost & steam before cooking. . cant say i've ever experienced tough beef after steaming! Someone already suggested freezing before cooking. . it's worth a try!

~On the suggestions about putting a nail in,i have to say i was pleasantly surprised to read it on here . .first time i saw my gf dipping a nail inside a boiling pot of cow trotters, i was like she also stated a chipped plate or anything made of Clay helps make the meat softer. . .however in her case,she only uses it for meat such as Cow trotters. . .

1 Like

Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Biabeke(f): 3:58am On Jan 21, 2010
Cook the meat with pawpaw (papaya) leaves or unripe pawpaw diced into pieces, do not add salt until meat is done. Then add salt and other spices. Pawpaw leaves contain an enzyme called papain which breaks down the meat fibers.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by LaraBabatunde: 2:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
kolemm: Toughness in meat is common with spent female animals, you can avoid buying this.
Another thing is for you to try adding potash (kaun) when boiling.
I agree with you that female animals are tough but, one doesn't need to add potash, ginger or garlic is appropriate.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by fifi007: 12:00am On Oct 26, 2012
freecocoa: Pls 4 sometime now i've noticed that whenever i cook beef it just refuses to get soft,even after cooking 4 close to 30 mins,my folks re really complaining,is there a particular type of beef that's hard to cook?can some pls tell me the best part of beef,is there a way to soften it?i need answers pls cos am about to cook and i don't want them to abandon the meat 4 me again.
Get a pressure cooker, it cooks meat faster and they come out soft 30min max.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 23, 2012
0hsisi: Nigerian beef is tough
You can beat it  all over with a pestle before cooking,that'll help tenderize it

Nigerian beef is not tougher than any other beef. The problem is that people simply do not cook the meat long enough for it to become tender. Even if you use a high heat, you must cook the meat for AT LEAST an hour and 20 minutes minimum.
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by yillie22: 2:54am On Mar 12, 2013
grin grin If you messed up its okay cuz it can be fixed as in beef or and tough meats. shocked Well all you have to do is[b] add more water[/b] as in only [s]enough water to cover the top of the meat.[/s][/b] Also [b]add a half of an onion if not more. Doing the onion and water really helps. okay then just keep stirring the meat and flipping it, but also make sure you have a lid for this cuz other wise wont work.[/i] This will take up to and hour to fix the texture. Okay and also make sure the water is still boiling but not on high. Just like how you cook rice lol. Really this shit works and don't walk away from it you need to stir ever 3 to 6 minutes for this hour [i]if you want this to turn our right. I have learned this from my grandfather. I love him cuz every time I need him for cooking he makes it simple. Hope I made it simple as my grandfather: "Johnny Lee. Fazier!" I Love You grandfather! I will always love and need you! Your favorite Grandchild: PackMan! kiss If this works for you comment to my grandfather good remarks. If not sorry, but it did work for him and I. So good luck! wink
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by yillie22: 2:58am On Mar 12, 2013
yillie22: grin grin If you messed up its okay cuz it can be fixed as in beef or and tough meats. shocked Well all you have to do is[b] add more water[/b] as in only enough water to cover the top of the meat.[/b] Also [b]add a half of an onion if not more. Doing the onion and water really helps. okay then just keep stirring the meat and flipping it, but also make sure you have a lid for this cuz other wise wont work.[/i] This will take up to and hour to fix the texture. Okay and also make sure the water is still boiling but not on high. Just like how you cook rice lol. Really this shit works and don't walk away from it you need to stir ever 3 to 6 minutes for this hour [i]if you want this to turn our right. I have learned this from my grandfather. I love him cuz every time I need him for cooking he makes it simple. Hope I made it simple as my grandfather: "Johnny Lee. Fazier!" I Love You grandfather! I will always love and need you! Your favorite Grandchild: PackMan! kiss If this works for you comment to my grandfather good remarks. If not sorry, but it did work for him and I. So good luck! wink
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Mrsmansson(f): 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2013
If you are still having such problem,make use of a pressure pot,within the next 15mins is as soft as indomine when cooked.that's what I use for anything hard.it saves time too
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by demmymol: 3:37pm On Jun 26, 2015
u cn use paracetamol to it. i am nt joking its tested and trusted
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by aydelicious: 9:52pm On Jun 27, 2015
freecocoa:
Pls 4 sometime now i've noticed that whenever i cook beef it just refuses to get soft,even after cooking 4 close to 30 mins,my folks re really complaining,is there a particular type of beef that's hard to cook?can some pls tell me the best part of beef,is there a way to soften it?i need answers pls cos am about to cook and i don't want them to abandon the meat 4 me again.
what I think is that just look in to your seasonings ,for example 1000 grams of meat ,let it follows with two coples of maggi and four level of teaspoons of sait, and then with small amount of chinger and gerlic with big onions ,small not meg and other seasoning you will like to add in to it,use yorur hand or your spoon to mixt it, don't add water in to it, meat content have water then use there to cook it, with that I promise you is going to be soft and then is going to give you good taste
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by Rossikk(m): 3:32am On Dec 11, 2015
geogentle:
@ topic

Try adding 7Up drink to the beef while boiling it. It sounds crazy but it works.
lol
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by stellytwinkle(f): 11:12am On Jul 18, 2018
Hi, my name is Stella and I am the CEO of 1000 by 200 initiative.
1000 for 200 initiative is a platform aimed at empowering all at a very little cost.
So, for #1,000, you would get to learn 200 recipes and ideas! Amazing, isn't it?
Learning would take place in the following forms:
1. Audios
2. Visuals ( pictures )
3. Audio - Visuals ( videos ).
Experts would take you on a one - on - one training.
These recipes and ideas are divided into the following categories:
Category 1: SNACKS - 25 Items
Category 2: SOUPS - 25 items
Category 3: DRINKS - 20 items
Category 4: ICE CREAM - 20 items
Category 5:CAKES - 20 items
Category 6: SMOOTHIES - 20 items
Category 7: DISHES - 20 items
Category 8: RESTAURANT DELICACIES - 10 items
Category 9: HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS - 10 items
Category 10: WIG MAKING - 10 items
Category 11: BEAD MAKING - 10 items
Category 12: EXTRAS - 10 items
These items sums up to 200.
Training would be on for 3 weeks.
Price: #1000
Date : August 7th - August 27th
Time : 3pm - 5pm daily
Venue: WhatsApp
Interested persons should pay the sum of #1,000 to this account:
Account no: 0214302005
Bank name: GTBank
Account name: Ukpabio Stella
After payment, send in your name, phone number and proof of payment to 08183615538. After confirmation, you would be automatically added to the group.
Details of items to be learnt would be made available to you on the platform once payment has been made.
Don't miss this opportunity!!!
1000 for 200 initiative - Changing lives
Re: Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? by noobsaibot2(m): 8:58pm On May 04, 2020
KUKU KEE ME

I'VE BEEN BOILING EVERYTHING FOR 2HOURS NOW...

kaecy5:
from experience, when cooking hard meat. dont add salt and spice early,
boil meat plain after a long while, then spice and add salt very late.

from experience i have noted that when u add salt early in the mix the meat stays hard, no matter how long u boil it

this meat we r talking about are meat with skin(back)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Looking For A Thread? Please Look In Here. (Food Library) / The Official Nairaland Kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Baby Food Recipes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.