Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation (20707 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 11, 2017
Lyoncrescent:
Public universities are heavily subsidized by government . Imagine unilag paying 35 k as school fees. That's less than 100 dollars.assuming unilag has 30000 students , that comes to about 3 million dollars. Of course unilag generates revenue from other means apart from tuition but tuition is the main part and I am using undergraduate fees as an example. Do you think 5 million dollars(assuming revenue from other sources is 2 million ) not to even talk of three million is enough for unilag alone?. They will pay over 800 staff both academic and non academic and buy vehicles and improve infrastructure and conduct research and buy diesel etc. Professor okebukola once said in channels tv some Years ago as nuc head that if government should stop funding unilag, the averaage tuition fee will be at least 300,000 naira per session. However due to the poverty level in Nigeria, government has no option. So before you think your public university education is cheap, think again . It's not cheap. It is just being subsidized. That being said, with the exception of Lagos business school,no higher institution in Nigeria is close to global standards and of course Lagos business school is private and Damn expensive because like I said earlier it is not subsidized by the government
You are right about LBS but CU is also coming up fast!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by thesuave10(m): 6:53pm On May 11, 2017
Statsocial:

I did not get admitted to CU's first batch with 234 in Jamb(2011) and with a very high post jamb score so I don't know what you mean. The following year CU's least cut off mark was 215 so you are wrong about it being a place for ppl who couldn't pass Jamb. Lastly, do you know that webonetrics ranking is a measure of research relevance and for the past three editions CU has been second only to UI. Lastly, for the three times pressid was conducted CU came number 1. So please stop bragging about OAU that does not even have a profile on Times Higher Education.

Oau is the only federal school that is better than CU. It's way better believe me
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 11, 2017
LARRYDKING:

U're right. In unilag,management and art students pay as low as #14,500, engineering and sciences pay just #19,500.
So that means the school fees is about 1,500 per month and people actually expect private unis to charge that low.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Handsomecole(m): 6:58pm On May 11, 2017
For you to even compete with a product of OAU would be a rare privilege for you because an average OAU grad or student wouldn't stoop so low to compete with the convenant whatever you are talking about.
Lyoncrescent:

The only way to settle oau cert and covenant cert is to meet on a level playing field. If you study accounting in oau and I study my own in covenant, let us both do our acca or maybe cfa. If we both pass at first attempt then we can agree we are both good. If I pass and you fail or the other way around, we can also draw conclusions. The mistake people in public universities make is they believe education should be difficult. It shoudnt. Edcuatuon should be relevant. I've seen brilliant students from oau and unilorin graduate with 2:2. When we all met in the UK for masters, we all had distinction . Does that mean unilorin is better than Warwick ? Education is all about relevance not difficulty and only way you can judge is when graduates from both schools meet on a level playing ground

Furthermore, OAU has been churning out graduates for decades so they have a richer and higher pool alumni hence the perception people have. Give Babcock and covenant graduates more time . Babcock gradauted it's first set in 2003..that's just 14 years ago. Give us 6 years more then you will know how far. Even some organizations specify Babcock and covenant gradautes . So this oba awon university crap won't last much longer. Past glory will soon end.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Achiles: 7:19pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:
Many students in private universities cannot pass jamb

THE TYPE OF QUESTION THEY ASK IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES:

WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL?
(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?

Your ignorance reeks of stupidity

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:
For you to even compete with a product of OAU would be a rare privilege for you because an average OAU grad or student wouldn't stoop so low to compete with the convenant whatever you are talking about.
If your OAU was so great it would have taught you how to spell 'Covenant' correctly.

Granted, OAU is good but according to webometrics CU is number two in Nigeria. And the picture below also shows CU, UI and UNN as the only profiled Nigerian universities. OAU is conspicuously missing.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 11, 2017
In a bid to boast as the first university facts gets twisted.
From what i learnt, no university was established in 1948.
Since when did a college become a university?.

The first full fledged, degree awarding university in Nigeria was UNN before which the college at Ibadan wasn't a degree awarding institution but a mere college affiliated to a university in England.

If you want to quote me be convincing and with proof.
i gat no time for nonsense diatribe.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by clockwise(m): 7:37pm On May 11, 2017
thornapple:
In a bid to boast as the first university facts gets twisted.
From what i learnt, no university was established in 1948.
Since when did a college become a university?.

The first full fledged, degree awarding university in Nigeria was UNN before which the college at Ibadan wasn't a degree awarding institution but a mere college affiliated to a university in England.

If you want to quote me be convincing and with proof.
i gat no time for nonsense diatribe.
Lol, i guess either OAU or one prominent public university has rejected u once or more. Baby believe me, u re lucky to be in a private university.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Handsomecole(m): 7:49pm On May 11, 2017
At least I've tried, I've given you the rare opportunity to advertise your "mushroom I no fit pass Jamb dem dash me admission school" oya come and be going grin Your type would can never pass OAU post UTME in 50 years even if they show the answers.
Statsocial:

If your OAU was so great it would have taught you how to spell 'Covenant' correctly.

Granted, OAU is good but according to webometrics CU is number two in Nigeria. And the picture below also shows CU, UI and UNN as the only profiled Nigerian universities. OAU is conspicuously missing.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by latsy: 7:51pm On May 11, 2017
barallanee:
I knew an iletrate will mention me...I mke myself happy.....do u knw the kind of person I am ??wonder why u wer nt aborted

This is too harsh
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:
At least I've tried, I've given you the rare opportunity to advertise your "mushroom I no fit pass Jamb dem dash me admission school" oya come and be going grin Your type would can never pass OAU post UTME in 50 years even if they show the answers.
lol 'rare opportunity'. Guy you must be a clown! Probably a product of quota system or educationally disadvantaged states and you want to come here and form King Kong of Academia. You must be sick!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 11, 2017
clockwise:
Lol, i guess either OAU or one prominent public university has rejected u once or more. Baby believe me, u re lucky to be in a private university.
I think your response is proof the public education sector has failed. How can you correlate her advocacy which has to do with UNN being the First university to her being in a private university.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Aremuagan144(m): 8:21pm On May 11, 2017
macuwon:
What if private polytechnics
dnt even go there cn u allow ur children to go 2 poly waste of time
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 11, 2017
pythonkid:

like how much for the whole hostel fee thing..., all d allowances for that year, everything...
Yes the 700-800k includes hostel fee and is for everything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mayorwah98(m): 8:36pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:

(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?
FOR YOUR MIND UVE SAID SOME THING BAH KEEP ON HATING YOU HEAR??
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mayorwah98(m): 8:39pm On May 11, 2017
mikebuddy:

Thats what i heard too when i was in a private University (Madonna)
Now i graduated and ran my MBA in OAU Ife, how come i top the public school graduates?
It is hilarious to ever think you know better than a private school graduate.
School does not study for people! Individuals study themselves.
Don't mind the fool. He is just hating

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mayorwah98(m): 8:42pm On May 11, 2017
Lyoncrescent:

The only way to settle oau cert and covenant cert is to meet on a level playing field. If you study accounting in oau and I study my own in covenant, let us both do our acca or maybe cfa. If we both pass at first attempt then we can agree we are both good. If I pass and you fail or the other way around, we can also draw conclusions. The mistake people in public universities make is they believe education should be difficult. It shoudnt. Edcuatuon should be relevant. I've seen brilliant students from oau and unilorin graduate with 2:2. When we all met in the UK for masters, we all had distinction . Does that mean unilorin is better than Warwick ? Education is all about relevance not difficulty and only way you can judge is when graduates from both schools meet on a level playing ground

Furthermore, OAU has been churning out graduates for decades so they have a richer and higher pool alumni hence the perception people have. Give Babcock and covenant graduates more time . Babcock gradauted it's first set in 2003..that's just 14 years ago. Give us 6 years more then you will know how far. Even some organizations specify Babcock and covenant gradautes . So this oba awon university crap won't last much longer. Past glory will soon end.
God bless you for this. Education should not be difficult at all

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mayorwah98(m): 8:44pm On May 11, 2017
richommie:
Only a wretched soul wl type that.
Fact is, He/His parents can't afford it that's why,they comment out of hatred.

#YOLO
They are just hating on private universities
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by rhektor(m): 9:07pm On May 11, 2017
The truth is that it is the owners of those private schools that are responsible for the low standard of education in the country as most of them are either public/civil servants in charge of education or major stakeholders in education sector of the country. What do they do? They destroyed the public schools (primary, secondary and tertiary) while they encourage parents and guidance to take their children)/wards to private schools ask them all if they did not attend public schools but what did they do to up the standard? Nothing as in nofin. Some of them used government time and other resources for their private businesses and then will in turn blame the same government. Encouraging mass cheating in examinations and then will still blame government for low standards of education
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:10pm On May 11, 2017
Statsocial:

1. One of the best things FG did was liberalising higher education early. Imagine if private universities weren't existing currently. We would have had people from the wealthy and middle class leave the currently with badly needed forex to study outside. Already we spend 1.5 trillion on education tourism as a nation and not to talk of the immense racism and discrimination our people face in some places like India.

2. Currently, there are two universities i believe could go as far as even toppling University of Capetown and that would be Covenant uni and ABUAD. The only issue is that CU as a stronger financial backing due to the financial power of the Church while ABUAD is already accumulating debt.

Also the fact that children of people like Osinbanjo and Fayose and many other politician's kids could school in CU is a vote of confidence on private universities. However not all of them are doing too well. I would advise the secular private unis to team up with politically powerful private unis like Redeemers and CU so as to get access to TETfund(at least the research fund)

1. Very true, even in the US, the contribution of the private sector to higher education provision is indispensable, so much so that the government even funds privately owned educational institutions. Nigerian FG can also do more by emulating that

2. Most people know of CU but ABUAD is one young school I really respect, they will give anybody a run for their money. No doubt, the standard they've set up astounds me for such a short period of time, their academic papers are top notch, their staff profiles are standard and many more.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:11pm On May 11, 2017
Moreoffaith:
Okay

I am so sure 70% of private university in this country are owned by politicians in one way or the other.

False assumption. Most private schools are owned and run by religious bodies.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:12pm On May 11, 2017
ipreach:
I can not read this, biko

WHY SIR?
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:17pm On May 11, 2017
macuwon:
What if private polytechnics

Nigerian educational system pay too much attention on universities that polytechnics, their operation standard and operations are not really regarded. Sad! As a result, you can hardly find a standard private polytechnic. Besides, you can hardly find any well performing government poly besides Yabatech, AuchiPoly and Federal Poly Uwanna.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:18pm On May 11, 2017
barallanee:
Abeg ah no fit siddon read dis post...mke I read comments understand grin

WHY SIR??
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:20pm On May 11, 2017
talk2alabama:
Dino melaye did not go to a private university... I will slap somebody now

Yes just like many other of the people leading us currently. But it can get better!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 11, 2017
rozayx5:
private universities are just breeding grounds for tomorrows elite

ask anyone in PWC and major companies in NIgeria

PWC alone is like a reunion for covenant university grads undecided

Not only PWC . . . KPMG, ARM and the banks. People can hate all they want, but the truth is Private University guys are starting to make waves in the private sector - in another 5-8 years, they would start to enter senior management.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 9:25pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:

(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?

You're making a nonsense insinuation. I abandoned UI to attend CU with a jamb score of well over 200, yet I was on second batch.

When I was in CU I noticed that an enormous number of us didn't apply for any other school, so not everything you hear out there is true. Most of those statements are born out of the malicious lies of haters.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Sainttops(m): 9:33pm On May 11, 2017
Who is deceiving OP that private Universities is ahead of Public ones. Better makes a reasonable and calculative research next time.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 9:36pm On May 11, 2017
You left UI because you were given a course you Dont like.
TheVictorious:

You're making a nonsense insinuation. I abandoned UI to attend CU with a jamb score of well over 200, yet I was on second batch.

When I was in CU I noticed that an enormous number of us didn't apply for any other school, so not everything you hear out there is true. Most of those statements are born out of the malicious lies of haters.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by hugochuks60(m): 9:38pm On May 11, 2017
when u blame lecturers for not performing well at public universities, ask how much they are paid in public universities n how much lecturers r paid in private universities n also ask if there r incentives plus willingness of students to learn.
By the way I will like to know how much they pay those private university lecturers.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 11, 2017
TheVictorious:

Eight years ago when I went to camp, I was hearing all sorts about private universities and how they can't compete with public universities; as of today, I know its a silly fib. I was slightly worried back then of if I actually got a quality education until I got to the workplace: common memo, the 'greats' were struggling to write during service year, meanwhile I was designing frameworks. Long and short, I was given a direct offer of employment into the bank where I served, while my peers had to first go to banking school. Since then , I have been head-hunted twice, and everywhere I have worked, I have seen private university people doing great both in business and career. If you want verifiable proof, do a simple search on LinkedIn for people that went to BU and CU. These days I increasingly meet people who were ahead of me in uni, and I'm humbled by where they have gotten to.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Handsomecole(m): 9:57pm On May 11, 2017
Mo ti get e grin Odun!!! E pain am grin[color=#990000][/color]
Statsocial:
lol 'rare opportunity'. Guy you must be a clown! Probably a product of quota system or educationally disadvantaged states and you want to come here and form King Kong of Academia. You must be sick!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Gives LASU's Best Bsc And Msc Students 5 Million Naira Each / Ondo Returns Schools To Missionaries After 46 Years / In Your Secondary School Days, People Who Sat At The Back Were Known As?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.