Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation (20705 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Blue3k(m): 4:46am On May 12, 2017
This excellent look at Education in Nigeria.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 5:49am On May 12, 2017
barallanee:
am female...pls is my profile or pics showing male

oh sorry sis!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 6:10am On May 12, 2017
chiefolododo:
You left UI because you were given a course you Dont like.

You don't get me. Not like I was in UI, I now left. No! I had equal opportunities of going into UI or CU 2011, considering that my A level grades were stellar and I was top of not just my class but my school (a govt. school) but I decided that it is CU I wanted to attend, even though "my dad" and a lot of other people kept persuading me to go to UI then. lol. But I didn't regret it. As per course, I simply chose a science course for the both institutions which is what I had passion for. Mind you, average folks I left sec school with applied for UI and got admitted so I would have easily gotten any course I wanted, but Before UI post UTME came up that year, I was already admitted into CU, and we finished that semester before UI started thinking of post-utme!

You say CU peeps can't pass Jamb. You make me laugh. jamb cut off was 200 when I applied in 2011, and jamb statistics shows that students select CU in Jamb to get admitted. Mind you, most of the students choose CU as first choice not to risk their chance of getting admitted at all. "That same year I talked about, even with my top grades and very high BRQ for the course I selected, I was admitted in the second batch for making them second choice. Due to an geometric increase in the amount of applicants, many people in my condition didn't get admitted last year. I've come accross a few, and they've made CU their only choice this year"

Lastly if you're hellbent that the students in CU are rich private school folks who can't pass jamb, I will simply ask you which schools are the best secondary schools in the country between private and public secondary schools. I met the best students of most of the top Nigerian private and federal schools that have built a lot of academic standards for themselves in CU!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by rhektor(m): 6:38am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

About 90% of private universities are owned and run by religious institutions, so get your facts right.

Same people who bring down educational standards
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 6:39am On May 12, 2017
rhektor:

Same people who bring down educational standards

How if I may ask
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by rhektor(m): 6:40am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

How if I may ask

Special centres all over the country
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 6:44am On May 12, 2017
rhektor:

Special centres all over the country

So how is that how is that related to religious institutions?
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 7:00am On May 12, 2017
Cromagnon:
what do they need ASUU for. they're well paid

We're on the same page
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by rhektor(m): 7:15am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

You are probably one of the benefitiaries to be defensive. All right suit yourself I have said my own
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 7:33am On May 12, 2017
rhektor:

You are probably one of the benefitiaries to be defensive. All right suit yourself I have said my own

I see. bye!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Demmzy15(m): 7:38am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

Bro I think he's right. I'm a student of ABUAD, I wanted to come to CU but I was told that Muslims might have problems. This was why I chose ABUAD!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 8:13am On May 12, 2017
Demmzy15:
Bro I think he's right. I'm a student of ABUAD, I wanted to come to CU but I was told that Muslims might have problems. This was why I chose ABUAD!

The truth is that I don't understand his points in relationship to my questions.

When you talk about special centers, it's a problem of the whole academic sector, whether private or public. But in any case, we know few schools that have great standards both among the government owned and private owned institutions; whether religious or secular!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Donnetimmy(m): 9:52am On May 12, 2017
There are things the discomfort and struggle in a public will teach u, you'll never get to Learn that in a private uni..
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Donnetimmy(m): 9:57am On May 12, 2017
I don't get what the OP meant by 'stronger'
stronger in terms of what?
alumni?
reputation?
infrastructure? or what

we should stop generalising private unis to mean the covenant, abuad landmark etc
very few Private unis in Nigeria can match up with the standard of fed. unis. especially the first generation universities.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 2:36pm On May 12, 2017
Donnetimmy:
I don't get what the OP meant by 'stronger'
stronger in terms of what?
alumni?
reputation?
infrastructure? or what

we should stop generalising private unis to mean the covenant, abuad landmark etc
very few Private unis in Nigeria can match up with the standard of fed. unis. especially the first generation universities

Stronger in terms of the points emboldened.

At your emboldened point; true, many private unis are not standard just as many government owned varsities are also not standard but when people try to cast aspersions on private varsities, it is the standard of reputable federal universities that they use to drive home their point.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Gassa007: 8:45pm On May 12, 2017
Handsomecole:
Private Universities are meant for the rich and only those that can afford it, it's also meant for the lazy rich kids who couldn't pass simple jamb or post UTME.
Even at that we still have the rich coming to Federal Universities to study because they know it's worth. Using OAU as an example ; I know many Govtt officials even law makers who come to the school to get one degree or the other. Infact we have rich parents who still send their kids to these Federal schools cos they know it's worth.
I can't imagine myself leaving OAU cert for one convenant cert when am not mad. Even in the aspect of ICT Internet access has been made so easy these days so u don't have to wait for your school to give you a laptop and free WiFi before you'll do your research. Private schools are comfortable no doubt but in terms of research and academic aspects please don't go there.
In next 10years or less that Covenant cert, you'll wish to have it with the rate at which that school is improving.Just screenshot this my statement.
P.S:I attend Govt. uni tho

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Handsomecole(m): 8:49pm On May 12, 2017
I agree with you, i'll wish to have it to give the woman on my street to sell her Akara
Gassa007:

In next 10years or less that Covenant cert, you'll wish to have it with the rate at which that school is improving.Just screenshot this my statement.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:35pm On May 12, 2017
Gassa007:

10 years is too far bro. too too far. In fact, even the remaining months of this year will be enough to dissolve doubts!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Cromagnon: 3:40am On May 13, 2017
fuckerstard:

We're on the same page
o ok
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 7:21am On May 13, 2017
TheVictorious:

It's our perception to the cost of running education that may finally destroy education in this country. We prefer cheap rubbish to expensive but "affordable" value.

I could remember when my brother and I enrolled many years ago for top private unis; family members and friends (that I considered to be more financially comfortable) were advising my father against wasting money that is hard to come by.

This depicts the average Nigerian; he will rather throw big parties over frivolities, buy and showcase cars and other luxuries, etc. at the expense of the quality education of his children/relatives.
This bothers me a lot. Many well to do folks who run from schools like CU because of funds they could spend on something frivolous.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 7:25am On May 13, 2017
Statsocial:

This bothers me a lot. Many well to do folks who run from schools like CU because of funds they could spend on something frivolous.

But when the go to lowly rated religious schools in the US, they don't complain about the fees. They do everything to pay or get kicked out!

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by igbanbajo(m): 2:34pm On May 14, 2017
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mikebuddy(m): 11:17am On May 15, 2017
chiefolododo:
You want me to believe you are leading in your class? Prove it

Whatever!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering / Female Student Whipped Into Coma In Lagos / Sanwo-Olu Gives LASU's Best Bsc And Msc Students 5 Million Naira Each

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.