Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation (20700 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by tosyne2much(m): 10:07pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:
Igbin what ? Is that a primary school? I Dont recognise your school. Type your question here let me solve it for you
I don laf tire cheesy
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 10:23pm On May 11, 2017
I repeat it , many of you cannot pass jamb
TheVictorious:

You're making a nonsense insinuation. I abandoned UI to attend CU with a jamb score of well over 200, yet I was on second batch.

When I was in CU I noticed that an enormous number of us didn't apply for any other school, so not everything you hear out there is true. Most of those statements are born out of the malicious lies of haters.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 11, 2017
TheVictorious:

You're making a nonsense insinuation. I abandoned UI to attend CU with a jamb score of well over 200, yet I was on second batch.

When I was in CU I noticed that an enormous number of us didn't apply for any other school, so not everything you hear out there is true. Most of those statements are born out of the malicious lies of haters.

I also made it into UNILAG, but if I recollect correctly, they had issues with strike then, so I bounced and went to private uni: never regretted it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 10:42pm On May 11, 2017
Has crippled not has cripple, private university student
LARRYDKING:

Gibberish! Things have changed bro. If u said these some 5 years ago, u would have made sense. What exactly is in OAU? Nothing but stress and bedbugs with sadistic lecturers? what is wrong in studying with comfort? OAU students should even shut their traps cos incessant industrial action has cripple the little hope the world has in them, unfortunate! Public schools are now a shadow of what they used to be and privates are taking over.

Hope u're aware OAU is just about to start 2016/17 session. Even the students are tired and psychological disturbed. I have friends there and the pressure on them now is just too much.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:
Has crippled not has cripple, private university student

lol. Is that all? Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:09pm On May 11, 2017
Misterdhee1:
I laugh when peeps claim students go to Private Universities because they didn't pass Jamb. What about those that made use of special centers to secure admission into public unis? Are those ones any better?

The truth is undergraduate studies should be basically about quality and not reputation. What matters most is what the student gets to learn during his/her stay in the university. Private unis provide the enabling environment to achieve this. That to me is a vital factor.

P. S: You won't understand how horrible public unis are in Nigeria, until you have had to pass through certain schools like Lautech.

True, I wonder oh. Also if those that all those that are in "reputable" private schools simply wealthy folks that paid their way into it, they should have otherwise sorted themselves into government institutions for a much cheaper rate.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:12pm On May 11, 2017
kceewhyte:
OP I thought you said why private part....sorry

looool. OMG una no go kill pesin 4 hia.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:13pm On May 11, 2017
chicagoPD:
Which one is stronger again....is it by brick competition?

Lol. Just read the article, don't make assumptions on the content.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:22pm On May 11, 2017
teebaxy:
No reference to landmark University, yet u use their Senate building as your picture

Is Landmark not a "private" university
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:26pm On May 11, 2017
pythonkid:
pls I need updated schools fees for covenant university.. I'm planning to do direct entry, willingness o study computer science

There is no direct entry. Sad.

When I was in school, my friend from Cornell University (Ivy league) wanted to join, but he couldn't because of the custom courses that will make any fresh student entering into CU start from 100 level. I hope the do something about it ASAP.

But you can take part time.

For fees, it depends on the program you intend to pursue (which is it?), but none is less than 700k right now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:29pm On May 11, 2017
ebby9z:
This OP is funny. You mentioned just like two or three competitions to drive your point. Do you want UI, OAU, Unilag people to start talking about competitions they WIN? However, many private institutions are doing better than public, agreed but few of them not as many as you mentioned

Kindly read the article without a bias and pay attention to the emboldened. Competitions were never the salient point!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by durella32: 11:36pm On May 11, 2017
PrettyHausaGirl:
Chaii
prettyhausa girl fine oooh she dy like barbie wey artiste draw
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:38pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:
Private Universities are meant for the rich and only those that can afford it, it's also meant for the lazy rich kids who couldn't pass simple jamb or post UTME.
Even at that we still have the rich coming to Federal Universities to study because they know it's worth. Using OAU as an example ; I know many Govtt officials even law makers who come to the school to get one degree or the other. Infact we have rich parents who still send their kids to these Federal schools cos they know it's worth.
I can't imagine myself leaving OAU cert for one convenant cert when am not mad. Even in the aspect of ICT Internet access has been made so easy these days so u don't have to wait for your school to give you a laptop and free WiFi before you'll do your research. Private schools are comfortable no doubt but in terms of research and academic aspects please don't go there.

Have you seen jamb statistics for CU? Just blabbing for nothing.

The emboldened; if you could afford to, yes you could!

Talking about research, loool, recent stats show that ABUAD can compete favourably against OAU, even though history shows that OAU is better. But mind you, university rankings respect recent stats than history, so don't be surprised if ABUAD get highly rated than OAU soon, because of "research". And I choose not to use CU to counter you statement because only UI comes close.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:40pm On May 11, 2017
Lyoncrescent:

The only way to settle oau cert and covenant cert is to meet on a level playing field. If you study accounting in oau and I study my own in covenant, let us both do our acca or maybe cfa. If we both pass at first attempt then we can agree we are both good. If I pass and you fail or the other way around, we can also draw conclusions. The mistake people in public universities make is they believe education should be difficult. It shoudnt. Edcuatuon should be relevant. I've seen brilliant students from oau and unilorin graduate with 2:2. When we all met in the UK for masters, we all had distinction . Does that mean unilorin is better than Warwick ? Education is all about relevance not difficulty and only way you can judge is when graduates from both schools meet on a level playing ground

Furthermore, OAU has been churning out graduates for decades so they have a richer and higher pool alumni hence the perception people have. Give Babcock and covenant graduates more time . Babcock gradauted it's first set in 2003..that's just 14 years ago. Give us 6 years more then you will know how far. Even some organizations specify Babcock and covenant gradautes . So this oba awon university crap won't last much longer. Past glory will soon end.

Balanced analysis, and wise words. Thumbs up man!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:48pm On May 11, 2017
LARRYDKING:

U're right. In unilag,management and art students pay as low as #14,500, engineering and sciences pay just #19,500.

It's our perception to the cost of running education that may finally destroy education in this country. We prefer cheap rubbish to expensive but "affordable" value.

I could remember when my brother and I enrolled many years ago for top private unis; family members and friends (that I considered to be more financially comfortable) were advising my father against wasting money that is hard to come by.

This depicts the average Nigerian; he will rather throw big parties over frivolities, buy and showcase cars and other luxuries, etc. at the expense of the quality education of his children/relatives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:51pm On May 11, 2017
LARRYDKING:

Gibberish! Things have changed bro. If u said these some 5 years ago, u would have made sense. What exactly is in OAU? Nothing but stress and bedbugs with sadistic lecturers? what is wrong in studying with comfort? OAU students should even shut their traps cos incessant industrial action has cripple the little hope the world has in them, unfortunate! Public schools are now a shadow of what they used to be and privates are taking over.

Hope u're aware OAU is just about to start 2016/17 session. Even the students are tired and psychological disturbed. I have friends there and the pressure on them now is just too much.

Are you serious A session that CU has ended!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by durella32: 11:52pm On May 11, 2017
TheVictorious:

Balanced analysis, and wise words. Thumbs up man!
private. University dn take over

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:53pm On May 11, 2017
LARRYDKING:

Exactly. I'm a student of the sch and sometimes, I think we pay less for what we enjoy. Free Internet access in almost all classrooms in the faculty of engineering where I belong (can't say of other faculties anyways),libraries and all hostels. Air conditioning systems in all classrooms and projectors with electronic boards and a whole lot of other things. The funny thing is the maintenance culture is high and spoilt devices are easily replace but I tell u, if the fee is increased by one penny, students will shutdown the school immediately.

We want everything for free in this part of the world.

That's the average African man for you.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 11:55pm On May 11, 2017
thesuave10:

Oau is the only federal school that is better than CU. It's way better believe me

Why sir?? What evidences prove this? or how did you know it is better than CU?
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 11, 2017
TheVictorious:

Are you serious A session that CU has ended!

That's how bad government owned institutions are. Lautech is yet to conclude 2015/16 session and they have gone on strike again. I can't lie to myself, government owned institutions have lost the glory. In few years to come, the noise about UI, unilag and co would die down and we'll begin to hear CU, Bowen, Afe Babalola. unfortunate!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 12:00am On May 12, 2017
Handsomecole:
For you to even compete with a product of OAU would be a rare privilege for you because an average OAU grad or student wouldn't stoop so low to compete with the convenant whatever you are talking about.

Yet you're putting forward your argument in favor of OAU. The only thing I see is that Lyoncrescent is defending his points by employing sound judgement and logically articulated facts while you're trying to use fallacies to pull the wool over people's faces.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by noziz(m): 12:01am On May 12, 2017
PrettyHausaGirl:
Chaii

fine girl y d exclamation?
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 12:04am On May 12, 2017
Aremuagan144:

dnt even go there cn u allow ur children to go 2 poly waste of time

This cracked me up so much. But our perspective needs to change as a nation for us to grow. Learn to accept things without judging them!
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 12:05am On May 12, 2017
LARRYDKING:

That's how bad government owned institutions are. Lautech is yet to conclude 2015/16 session and they have gone on strike again. I can't lie to myself, government owned institutions have lost the glory. In few years to come, the noise about UI, unilag and co would die down and we'll begin to hear CU, Bowen, Afe Babalola. unfortunate!

It is well.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 12:08am On May 12, 2017
rhektor:
The truth is that it is the owners of those private schools that are responsible for the low standard of education in the country as most of them are either public/civil servants in charge of education or major stakeholders in education sector of the country. What do they do? They destroyed the public schools (primary, secondary and tertiary) while they encourage parents and guidance to take their children)/wards to private schools ask them all if they did not attend public schools but what did they do to up the standard? Nothing as in nofin. Some of them used government time and other resources for their private businesses and then will in turn blame the same government. Encouraging mass cheating in examinations and then will still blame government for low standards of education

About 90% of private universities are owned and run by religious institutions, so get your facts right.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by laudate: 1:29am On May 12, 2017
LARRYDKING:
U're right. In unilag,management and art students pay as low as #14,500, engineering and sciences pay just #19,500.

Are you sure about this? Is this at undergraduate or postgraduate level?
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by joliefille(f): 2:59am On May 12, 2017
When I was serving, I met a lady from a private university when we were talking about our university experience, I realised that the rooms in their hostel had more occupants than what usually obtains in UI. I had to ask her if there were squatters in her room, in UI, the maximum number of students per room in a hostel is 4 for female hostels and less for the male hostels, whereas they had 8students per room in the private uni. Yet people say they have better facilities.

The private universities treats their students like pre-adolescents, they make almost all decisions for them including religious, UI has chapels and Mosques but no one will ever force you to attend or sanction you for not attending church programs.

The OP talked about some private UNIs making waves at NUGA and similar competitions how many of such can they host? Do they have a sports centre that can host a quarter of the games at any University games event?

As at year 2008, when I left UI, we had free internet access available to students, all department libraries had internet ports for the students to connect their systems.

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by joliefille(f): 3:06am On May 12, 2017
The problem with the Nigerian higher education system is that we don't have enough institutions and some of the ones we have are not properly managed.
A university is a miniature country and if the president is not capable, then all will fall to ruins.
Each public universities has a maximum number of students it can admit and cater for adequately, but many of them will admit 5/6 times this number.
That's why you will go to some places and see students sitting on the windows and all sorts

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by barallanee(f): 3:34am On May 12, 2017
latsy:

This is too harsh
sorry
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by barallanee(f): 3:34am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

WHY SIR??
am female...pls is my profile or pics showing male
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 4:09am On May 12, 2017
laudate:

Are you sure about this? Is this at undergraduate or postgraduate level?

undergraduate
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Cromagnon: 4:29am On May 12, 2017
fuckerstard:
Expensive and no ASUU RUBBISH
what do they need ASUU for. they're well paid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Guard Your Certificates Well, We’ll Not Issue Twice- WAEC / Benue State University Students Write Exams In Collapsed Building (Photos) / Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.