Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,260 members, 7,839,323 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy (6141 Views)

Fayose Canvasses Juicy Ministerial Position For Fayemi / Sambo Canvasses Support For Buhari / Igbo Group Canvasses Support For Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by blacksta(m): 9:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Requiring visas to go visiting your in-laws. If you don't like them, you can at least claim you were denied a visa.

On a serious note; those agitating for a new state are the corrupt leaders who no longer have any relevance in Nigeria and think that they will have some relevance in a Yoruba state.
[/quote

I like that one - will probably save me from guresome benin ore road
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by asha80(m): 10:01pm On Jan 13, 2010
However in all honesty will Alao Akala and his likes have any say in an idependent yoruba nation
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Abagworo(m): 10:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
Reading those vanguard comments makes me so proud of nairaland.we are really matured and very much less tribalistic here.even becomerich never reach this level.congrats nairalanders.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 10:07pm On Jan 13, 2010
OAM4J:

Same place it left Nigerians married to foreigners. That to me is the least of the problems.

My own concern is, how are we sure the same corrupt Yoruba people currently leading now (the Daniels & the Akalas of Yorubaland) will not be the one directing the affairs of a new Yoruba state?

Breaking away from Nigeria requires bold action from courageous leaders; Daniels, Akala, Ooni, are not the type of leaders to lead such a move. Even a courageous and well-meaning leader like Ojukwu was unable to free the Igbos from Nigeria. Having said that, the circumstances are different from the 60s. All in all, unless there are some credible leaders somewhere, the others are a bunch of jokers.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 10:15pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Breaking away from Nigeria requires bold action from courageous leaders; Daniels, Akala, Ooni, are not the type of leaders to lead such a move. Even a courageous and well-meaning leader like Ojukwu was unable to free the Igbos from Nigeria. Having said that, the circumstances are different from the 60s. All in all, unless there are some credible leaders somewhere, the others are a bunch of jokers.

Well, who knows? Guess there are more of Fasholas if only the Tinubus of Yorubaland will let them perform.

But I dont know how many courageous and well meaning leaders Yorubas have who can champion the course.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2010
OAM4J:

Well, who knows? Guess there are more of Fasholas if only the Tinubus of Yorubaland will let them perform.

But I dont know how many courageous and well meaning leaders Yorubas have who can champion the course.

You are very correct with your first statement. With regards to your second comment; can you imagine anyone joining just a protest led by Gbenga Daniels, Ooni, or Akala? Maybe only their dependent family members.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 10:24pm On Jan 13, 2010

Yoruba leaders demand true federalism

From FRANCIS SUBERU, Ibadan

Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Yoruba Leaders of Thought rose from a meeting in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, yesterday, to seek freedom from the clutches of a distorted federation.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/13/sun/Fasheun[1].jpg[/img]
Dr. Fredrick Fasehun

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/13/520.html

The parley, at which fiery Bishop Emmanuel Gbonigi emerged the leader of the United Yoruba Nation’s Committee put in place at the Pan Yoruba Conference, concluded that the main problem retarding the progress of the Yoruba nation was the stranglehold of the Federal Government

Prominent Yoruba elders including the leader of Odua People’s Congress (OPC), Dr. Fredrick Fasehun, former minister, Dr. Onaolapo Soleye, Professor Toun Ogunseye, Prof. Sekoni and representatives of traditional rulers attended the conference, which the organizers said was meant to liberate, unite and fashion a roadmap for the ethnic nation within the Nigerian project.

Various speakers at the conference regretted, however, that the Yoruba had lost its voice in the nation as a result of selfishness and lust for power, which compromised them in the hands of a power clique.

The meeting also noted that the major problem plaguing the Yoruba nation was her inability to speak with one voice because there was no unity among its leaders while there were too many socio-political and socio-cultural groups among the Yoruba leaders, at the detriment of the nation’s development.

“The core issue is that the Federal Government, under sundry ethnic coalitions and hegemonies, has always striven to take away whatever gives the constituent units their modes of self-expression, creativity and productivity,” chairman of the convener-group, Atayese, Mr. Tokunbo Ajasin, who is also the son of the late elder statesman and former Ondo State governor Pa Adekunle Ajasin told delegates.

A former university don, Prof. Toun Ogunseye also said: “We are selfish and we are only concerned about our situation. We all want to occupy big positions and we are not united enough. In the 60s, we are highly united under the late sage, Awolowo. Now, our children have all left. What will happen to us in the future if we do not address our problems?”

Another notable speaker at the forum, Dr. Onaoalpo, said that Yorubas were intelligent and hardworking. He advised his kinsmento be united and speak with one voice even as he urged traditional rulers in the land to end the rift among them and provide true leadership for the Yoruba race.

The Gbonigi-led panel is to comprise three representatives of the 10 identified Yoruba zones including Edo, Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Kwara, Kogi Oyo, Ekiti , Delta and Lagos State.

The three representatives would be made up of a youth, a woman and adult male.

Its mandate is to unify various groups and associations that were genuinely clamouring for the furtherance of the interests of the Yoruba nation, but were at loggerheads with one another.

The committee is also to reconcile the feuding Yoruba Obas, particularlythe Ooni of Ife: Alaafin of Oyo and Awujale of Ijebuland.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 10:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
blacksta:

I am Yoruba but dont want independence cause my wife is from Rivers state  - where does that leave me?

Edo state. grin grin grin
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 10:27pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are very correct with your first statement. With regards to your second comment; can you imagine anyone joining just a protest led by Gbenga Daniels, Ooni, or Akala? Maybe only their dependent family members.

lol. grin true. Hopefully people like them will sit at the back, while allowing credible or new voices with verifiable good records to lead.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Gekko(m): 10:29pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Breaking away from Nigeria requires bold action from courageous leaders; [b]Daniels, Akala, Ooni, are not the type of leaders to lead such a move. [/b]Even a courageous and well-meaning leader like Ojukwu was unable to free the Igbos from Nigeria. Having said that, the circumstances are different from the 60s. All in all, unless there are some credible leaders somewhere, the others are a bunch of jokers.

you can say that again, these men ran out of integrity credit long ago, if a breakup ever occurs they need to ship to exile.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 10:35pm On Jan 13, 2010
Another notable speaker at the forum, Dr. Onaoalpo, said that Yorubas were intelligent and hardworking. He advised his kinsmento be united and speak with one voice even as he urged traditional rulers in the land to end the rift among them and provide true leadership for the Yoruba race.

The Gbonigi-led panel is to comprise three representatives of the 10 identified Yoruba zones including Edo, Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Kwara, Kogi Oyo, Ekiti , Delta and Lagos State.

The three representatives would be made up of a youth, a woman and adult male.

Rubbish! Brazenly stup!d and arrogant!
There is nothing that annoys ND people more than being referred to as some branch of Youruba. You tell a some people that you don't have a bleeping clue of what they are saying and they retort that all bendel people can speak Yoruba. Very annoying!

Nobody should come looking for any "Yoruba zones" in ND.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 10:38pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

There is nothing that annoys ND people more than being referred to as some branch of Youruba. You tell a some people that you don't have a bleeping clue of what they are saying and they retort that all bendel people can speak Yoruba. Very annoying!

Are there no Yorubas from Edo state?. I am also sure there will be Yorubas from Delta state.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 10:38pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Dude relax
Don't you know your history? While the Yorubas may not have a connection with all tribes in Bendel State, they certainly share history with the Bini and Itsekiri.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 10:39pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Relax. If at all this will work, nobody will be able to force any group or state to join without the consent of their majority.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by blacksta(m): 10:40pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Edo state. grin grin grin

I am hoping  edo, benin bayelaa and Rivers state will follow us which will make my wife Yoruba  - yipee
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by asha80(m): 10:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
Does a bini person speak or undertsand yoruba
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by edoyad(m): 10:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
Lahi lahi ti lahi lahi angry if yoruba men want to go, fine, but we shall never let them take away those voluptuous iyawos and tantalizing buxoms. They must be dreaming if they think we'll let an asset more valuable than crude oil go for free, can you imagine ? All that bootiliciousness go like that ? We'd rather die ! angry
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Eziachi: 10:43pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

A southern Nigeria Republic will be more acceptable to the Yoruba than a silly union with Republic of Benin. The leaders going to Benin are the ones that have lost relevance amongst the Yoruba and are seeking international alliances. Yorubas have more in common with the mid-west and the east than any group in Benin Republic.

As the most sophisticated black people on the planet, the most educated, the most with professor accorlade before their  first name, the only one with largest former empires, the one living close to the atlantic ocean, Yoruba should go it alone and set the tone for all black man to copy. Why are you always running around looking for marriage? The failed Nigeria marriage was your sweat, you want Benin republic for marriage, you want South Nigeria republic marriage.

Are you kidding me!
Please stay on your own.
No more crooked marriage. Why can't you not live without some one holding your hand in a union?
charge us fee to come to the new paradaisic empire as we beg for your handouts.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 10:45pm On Jan 13, 2010
OAM4J:

Same place it left Nigerians married to foreigners. That to me is the least of the problems.

My own concern is, how are we sure the same corrupt Yoruba people currently leading now (the Daniels & the Akalas of Yorubaland) will not be the one directing the affairs of a new Yoruba state?

That's preposterous. Let Oduduwa state arise first and that one will be taken care of easily. You can't predict doom for a sovereign nation that is yet to take off. What if Fashola becomes the new oduduwa president, arrest the likes of Obasanjo, Tinubu and Akala until they bleed all the money they stole from old Nigeria[with people's support o] and render them powerless?. And you know that there will be no Alhaji from North to help them with federal powers of immunity for thieves again.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 10:46pm On Jan 13, 2010
asha 80:

Does a bini person speak or undertsand yoruba

Very very well.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 10:47pm On Jan 13, 2010
Eziachi:

As the most sophisticated black people on the planet, the most educated, the most with professor accorlade before their  first name, the only one with largest former empires, the one living close to the atlantic ocean, Yoruba should go it alone and set the tone for all black man to copy. Why are you always running around looking for marriage? The failed Nigeria marriage was your sweat, you want Benin republic for marriage, you want South Nigeria republic marriage.

Are you kidding me!
Please stay on your own.
No more crooked marriage. Why can't you not live without some one holding your hand in a union?
charge us fee to come to the new paradaisic empire as we beg for your handouts.

You are stuck in the past. There is no point in debating issues with you. I will not waste my time with someone that has so much hatred in him.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by sjeezy8: 10:47pm On Jan 13, 2010
Lol the vanguard comments are funny from both sides.
But a true leader doesnt ask for support from his ethnic group, he earns it from them as well as other ethnic groups.

Soyinka, Gani, Fela even fashola didnt say all yorubas be with them, their actions cut across all ethnic groups. Lagos is in yorubaland but INDIGENOUS LAGOSIANS never asked anyone to leave, because they know that what makes Lagos a great city is its diversity and migrants from all over West africa.

Groups like OPC, Massob are like Nigerian Black panthers, Nation of Islam,KKK, and such . . . they have a large following but no one ever listens to them.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 10:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
edoyad:

Lahi lahi ti lahi lahi angry if yoruba men want to go, fine, but we shall never let them take away those voluptuous iyawos and tantalizing buxoms. They must be dreaming if they think we'll let an asset more valuable than crude oil go for free, can you imagine ? All that bootiliciousness go like that ? We'd rather die ! angry

So booty is your problem? grin Dont worry. We will allow you marry one of them if you behave well as inlaw. We might even grant you citizenship  grin

aloy*emeka:

That's preposterous. Let Oduduwa state arise first and that one will be taken care of easily. You can't predict doom for a sovereign nation that is yet to take off. What if Fashola becomes the new oduduwa president, arrest the likes of Obasanjo, Tinubu and Akala until they bleed all the money they stole from old Nigeria[with people's support o] and render them powerless?. And you know that there will be no Alhaji from North to help them with federal powers of immunity for thieves again.

True dat
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 10:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Dude relax
Don't you know your history? While the Yorubas may not have a connection with all tribes in Bendel State, they certainly share history with the Bini and Itsekiri.

Bini people will not go with you. You are talking about people whose empire spanned across Ondo, Lagos etc all the way to Ghana.
Itsekiri's will not go either, because despite infighting in Delta state, they are well represented, even though they are a minority. The current Delta state governor is an Itsekiri man, despite the overwhelming numbers of Igbo, Ijaw and Urhobo. I don't know of any other part of this country where that can occur. Itsekiri man will not want to be swallowed up and spat into irrelevance.

Bottomline, we love ourselves too much to let anybody go. cool
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by blacksta(m): 10:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
Where is becomerich when u need him  - He is required to help put more clarity to the matter at hand . My concern is to make sure we take Rivers states (My wife's state) with us.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Eziachi: 10:57pm On Jan 13, 2010
blacksta:

I am Yoruba but dont want independence cause my wife is from Rivers state  - where does that leave me?
grin grin grin
God! when you thinkyou have heard it all about reason for one Nigeria from our folks.
If you don't know where that leaves you, why not ask Nelson Mandela, whose wife is from Mozambique or thousands of your tribesmen that married many British and Jamaicans.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 10:58pm On Jan 13, 2010
@alloy
I have never heard of any Yoruba people from Edo state. They don't exist and Bini people don't speak Yoruba.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 10:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Bini people will not go with you. You are talking about people whose empire spanned across Ondo, Lagos etc all the way to Ghana.
Itsekiri's will not go either, because despite infighting in Delta state, they are well represented, even though they are a minority. The current Delta state governor is an Itsekiri man, despite the overwhelming numbers of Igbo, Ijaw and Urhobo. I don't know of any other part of this country where that can occur. Itsekiri man will not want to be swallowed up and spat into irrelevance.

Bottomline, we love ourselves too much to let anybody go. cool

Ok time for history lesson. Please when did the Bini empire spread to Ghana? The only empire that stretched through Dahomey to Ghana was the Oyo empire of the 15th-18th century.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Eziachi: 11:00pm On Jan 13, 2010
blacksta:

I am Yoruba but dont want independence cause my wife is from Rivers state  - where does that leave me?
grin grin grin
God! when you thinkyou have heard it all about reason for one Nigeria from our folks.
If you don't know where that leaves you, why not ask Nelson Mandela, whose wife is from Mozambique or thousands of your tribesmen that married many British and Jamaicans.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by sjeezy8: 11:02pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

sjeezy8:

THE INDIGENES
"The Itsekiris are an ethnic entity in Nigeria, located in the western part of the Niger Delta, known as Warri, long. 5° .45e and lat. 5°n. the earliest group of the Itsekiri migrated from Yoruba land. "

http://www.warrifrontline.co.uk/indigenes1.html

Yoruba, Itsekiri to Strengthen Ties

According to a statement, the meeting acknowledged Yoruba and Itsekiri historical, social and political ties and rejoiced at the renewal of the ties. The statement said: "The meeting acknowledged our historical, social and political ties over the years and expressed joy at the renewal of these old ties."

ha ha nikku lmfao
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by asha80(m): 11:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

@alloy
I have never heard of any Yoruba people from Edo state. They don't exist and Bini people don't speak Yoruba.

I think he was joking
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 11:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ok time for history lesson. Please when did the Bini empire spread to Ghana? The only empire that stretched through Dahomey to Ghana was the Oyo empire of the 15th-18th century.

The very name "Dahomey" is derived from the name of an Esan (Edo) general called Isidahome. His descendants are still alive.
Benin was powerful enough that the name of the waters along the West African coast is called the bight of benin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups / Boko Haram Robs Two Northern Banks And Gives Money To The Poor / Pictures Of Boko Haram In Their Failed Attack On Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.