Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,275 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti (14180 Views)

Boston Heaves A Sigh Of Relief As Bomb Suspect Is Arrested, Suspect In Critical / Haiti Joins African Union / I Can Breathe A Sigh Of Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2010
@david
have a heart. stop seeing these things from the perspective of a failed country. look beyond the failed black nation and see the human faces in tears. if they were ur relatives u'll be livid with rage if the govt doesnt act in 24hrs or even less. stop saying people were impatient. i know how those guys were almost abandoned in new orleans and not only that, in some areas they were even practically locked down. bush was even wrongly accused of being racist when the his subordinates were the ones who failed to act as he directed
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
chiogo:

Umm, YES. Black-on-black crimes.

Anyway, you keep proving it with this topic.

All these little kids with access to computers. Hmmm take stock with some of the guys here, many of them disagree with my point but they dont put it across with such a severe lack of civility.

To address your point . . . is black-on-black crime the reason blacks are at the economic end of the ladder? So bob crime is why the teen pregnancy rates among blacks is highest? Its why the drop out rate is also highest among blacks right? So whites dont have white-on-white crime which is even of greater magnitude?

Seriously?  undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
there are plenty of dirt poor eastern eurpoean countries

ditto for asian
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

What is wrong with africa is not our lack of a heart. Is that why the black community is at the bottom of the ladder economically in the US too? Puhlease enough of this nonsensical excuses.

Its NOT an assumption BUT A FACT. The US would have dealt with Katrina without any outside help . . . it will of course take time. Nothing gets done in 2 mins. that's the problem with many of you. no patience.

Yes that is the very reason why they are at the bottom.

It is not a fact! David they BUILT back Bourboun St in less than a year after Katrina, can you tell me why New Orleans drinking water is not safe to drink yet? Can you tell me that if u drive less than 2 miles away from Downtown New orleans you see houses that are exactly the same when Katrina hit?
or how many years later we still have displaced citizens?

can you tell me how a publically funded university still have the same problems from Katrina of 2005?

Again, you probaly never been in New orleans, so you are left to believe the new stories you hear undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
Phew!!!!! I am glad the rants are over.

davidylan:

I wish many more will start to come to that realization that something is deeply wrong somewhere. It will be hard to develop if we cant see the flaws in ourselves.

David U are doing a lot of injustice to most NL members with that submission.

There is no day that I log onto NL that I dont see a thread or a post reminding us about how messed up Nigeria is. People realize that. Just like U are willing to ask questions, there are a lot of posters that have raised the same issues in several posts and threads. The only difference is the timing and manner in which it was delivered. your timing was what people reacted to and not necessarily the content of your posts. Surely u must have realized that by now.

Otele raised a very valid point about the so called Asian tigers. Not so long ago China was so poor and hungry that pundits thot they wont make it to the nineties. Guess what, China is the manufacturing capital of the world. So dont take a defeatist attitude towards the plight of the black man. We might get it right one day. I dont know how but I will tell U one thing, we are not going to get it right by reveling in the blame game. That leads us nowhere.

Take Haiti's issues for instance, your view is more long term; some posters also wanted to help in the short term. My question is this : must these two be mutually exclusive? Cant we find a way to integrate these two approaches?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Ndipe(m): 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
This is not the time to criticise, but time to cast aside sentiments and logic and help out. The casualties are more interested in survival in the meantime than hearing logic on what went wrong and how they can better themselves. It's like kicking a man when he is already down.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
cold:

When God said 'the heart of man is desperately wicked' he was actually referrin to the black man & to a lesser extent the arabs.

i disagree, he was refering to the arabs and to a lesser extent the white man. the black man has a heart, infact it is his weakness, usually exploited in history by the whites, and in modern times it makes him weak on issues he should be strict. however the black man's biggest enemy is ignorance. and he ignorantly doesnt know it
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
cold:

When God said 'the heart of man is desperately wicked' he was actually referrin to the black man & to a lesser extent the arabs.

here we go again -
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by chiogo(f): 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

All these little kids with access to computers. Hmmm take stock with some of the guys here, many of them disagree with my point but they dont put it across with such a severe lack of civility.

To address your point . . . is black-on-black crime the reason blacks are at the economic end of the ladder? So bob crime is why the teen pregnancy rates among blacks is highest? Its why the drop out rate is also highest among blacks right? So whites dont have white-on-white crime which is even of greater magnitude?

Seriously?  undecided
LOL that was just one example, sorry that flew over your head.

Ponder on your questions and you might just find the answers.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cap28: 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
@davidylan you are completely wrong in everything you have said on here about Haiti.

Haiti is the only former slave colony that emancipated itself from slavery, it fought and defeated 3 foreign imperial countries - france, britain and spain.  It was declared a republic in 1804 and that is where its problems began.  It was forced to pay reparations running into millions of francs for the simple reason that it stood up to the west and won.  Has Nigeria done even one quarter of any of that.

all Haiti's present day problems stem from Western interference, to be precise - american interference.

after it became a republic europe and america imposed economic trade embargos against the country for over 50 years which caused its economy to collapse.  

america has invaded Haiti more than 5 times each time putting in power puppet leaders - Papa Doc and Baby Doc were both US puppets who destroyed their countries economy in cahoots with the americans.

the only time the Haitians had any chance of good leadership was when the people's choice Jean Paul Aristide was democratically elected in 2004 unfortunately he was abducted and deported to the Congo sixth months later by US trained militias acting on behalf of Washington who didnt like the fact that Aristide wanted to introduce a minimum wage, take back land appropriated by american multinationals and use it for growing food for Haitian people.  

Haiti has now been converted into a giant sweat shop where americans exploit the cheap labour paying them as little as 15 cents an hour.

Haiti has never been given a chance to prosper instead it was punished for daring to stand up and challenge the West.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2010
Uche2nna:

There is no day that I log onto NL that I dont see a thread or a post reminding us about how messed up Nigeria is. People realize that. Just like U are willing to ask questions, there are a lot of posters that have raised the same issues in several posts and threads. The only difference is the timing and manner in which it was delivered. your timing was what people reacted to and not necessarily the content of your posts. Surely u must have realized that by now.

I would believe that of you and a few other posters here like debosky . . . for the most part, the other loudmouths simply jumped on the "silly" wagon. Many of them didnt even have a point.

I might be wrong but i dont think there is ever any "good" time to raise such issues. Are we waiting until such strikes Nigeria?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

quite sad isnt it . . . but i get crucified for pointing out that fact. I guess everyone is too busy donating to take stock of this critical point.

The bottomline is we are NEVER prepared for anything. I wonder how the whites or asians do it.

America did nothing with New Orleans.
Japan did nowt in the Kobe earthquakes.

No country can prepare for a disaster with this magnitude.
100,000 people dead and counting.
Not even Hitler's genocide claimed so many lives in a single day.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
cap28:

@davidylan you are completely wrong in everything you have said on here about Haiti.

Haiti is the only former slave colony that emancipated itself from slavery, it fought and defeated 3 foreign imperial countries - france, britain and spain.  It was declared a republic in 1804 and that is where its problems began.  It was forced to pay reparations running into millions of francs for the simple reason that it stood up to the west and won.  Has Nigeria done even one quarter of any of that.

all Haiti's present day problems stem from Western interference, to be precise - american interference.

after it became a republic europe and america imposed economic trade embargos against the country for over 50 years which caused its economy to collapse.  

america has invaded Haiti more than 5 times each time putting in power puppet leaders - Papa Doc and Baby Doc were both US puppets who destroyed their countries economy in cahoots with the americans.

the only time the Haitians had any chance of good leadership was when the people's choice Jean Paul Aristide was democratically elected in 2004 unfortunately he was abducted and deported to the Congo sixth months later by US trained militias acting on behalf of Washington who didnt like the fact that Aristide wanted to introduce a minimum wage, take back land appropriated by american multinationals and use it for growing food for Haitian people.  

Haiti has now been converted into a giant sweat shop where americans exploit the cheap labour paying them as little as 15 cents an hour.

Haiti has never been given a chance to prosper instead it was punished for daring to stand up and challenge the West.

Ah the usual blame game. The US is always at fault isnt it?

I guess its time to wash my car afterall . . . silly season is about to strike.

Peace out.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by yeswecan(m): 10:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Kobojunkie  i think you took my words off context, i was only trying to say that we should stop looking up to  or believing in THE  west and find our path.  As far as i am concern the west are only working for their interest. Take China for instance, they found a path and they are doing great. And yes Africans are designed to fail .  . . what do you say about the[b] Bantu Education Act of 1953 [/b] is that not failure in practice. If they can do that in the open when it was legal, it is safe to say it can be done indirectly now
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 10:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
~Sauron~:

America did nothing with New Orleans.
Japan did nowt in the Kobe earthquakes.

No country can prepare for a disaster with this magnitude.
100,000 people dead and counting.
Not even Hitler's genocide claimed so many lives in a single day.

And according to David, we're supposed to sit still, specualate and wash our cars when people are dying?
Greeeeeeeeeeeeat  wink
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 15, 2010
cycles

empires rise and fall

egypt was once the center of civilisation

greece was once the center of civilisation

rome was once the center of civilisation

britain was once a superpower

mongolia once ruled a significant portion of the world

america is a declining superpower

we've been there, and we'll get back there - just that it will not be in our generation. who knos maybe the whites of that time will have the same angst
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2010
oyb:

cycles

empires rise and fall

egypt was once the center of civilisation

greece was once the center of civilisation

rome was once the center of civilisation

britain was once a superpower

mongolia once ruled a significant portion of the world

america is a declining superpower

we've been there, and we'll get back there - just that it will not be in our generation. who knos maybe the whites of that time will have the same angst

from the direction you can predict the destination. looking at our own nigeria, in 100yrs, we'll be begging haiti for shelter
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2010
platinumnk:

And according to David, we're supposed to sit still, specualate and wash our cars when people are dying?
Greeeeeeeeeeeeat  wink

Especially when America made these 3rd world countries poor in the first place. . . .

A Government run by the rich such as this one and the traditionally oppressive European states, force the third world into buying overpriced, unnecessary goods while exporting huge portions of their RICH natural resources.
Haitians are where they are because of the great inflation that was caused by American companies.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MandingoII(m): 10:43pm On Jan 15, 2010
@mandigo

nigerian politicians have a double tragedy of ignorance and lack of compassion. ignorance in that they dont know the deep impact of their foolishness on the nation, and lack of compassion b/c they sure wont care if they knew the impact

Unfortunately, you have Brain-Dead blacks that like to attach SUPERNATURAL energies to mother nature.

and the recurrent superstitious embicles that SWEAR they are right about NOTHING.

This THREAD is beneath me.  I do not argue with minds that cannot graft rudimentary principles.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by yeswecan(m): 10:44pm On Jan 15, 2010
otele:

@yes we can

pls what are u talking about africans must ''release themselves''? are we in chains? apart from chains in our mind? is the west to blame for yaradua's dissappearance? somethings we do in africa is unbelievable, and we cant blame the west. our nationa were designed to fail. ok. what of  hong kong? malaysia, india, brazil etc. these were all colonised and have picked up and in 50yrs will be something else. japan picked up after the war, same germany, italy. look at them now.
africans on the other hand are going backwards. nigeria cant count her citizens or do elections. has no president. [b]uganda, even kanya. tanzania [/b]seems satisfied with peaceful mediocrity, congo is . . . . phew, from nile to niger to zambezi to senegal to congo to lake victoria the story is the same, the only part of africa that seems to have life is the little bit the whiteman did in south africa b4 handing over to blacks i wonder. honestly

I understand you . . . but the countries you mentioned are just doing fine . . . they are not doing that great. I believe we can do better if we develop our own way of doing things. I mean not all countries must be on democracy .  .  .  .  .  we can do what we understand instead of doing what the western world thinks is best for us.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by H2O2: 10:45pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ndipe:

This is not the time to criticise, but time to cast aside sentiments and logic and help out. The casualties are more interested in survival in the meantime than hearing logic on what went wrong and how they can better themselves. It's like kicking a man when he is already down.
Ndipe - succint!  

Like he said, cast aside sentiments. If you don't mind and are not inconvenienced, help the Haitians climbing an uphill battle to survive this natural disaster.
Anyone who takes umbrage at that entry is being conspicuously senseless.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

I might be wrong but i dont think there is ever any "good" time to raise such issues. Are we waiting until such strikes Nigeria?

But some[i] times[/i] are better than others.  

And besides, raising the issue is as easy as saying cakes. The crux of the matter is identifying solutions. Thats where NL forums fails woefully. We are quick to judge, point fingers and even trade insults. Very few are willing to think deep and come up with solutions (or at least try to).

We find a way to blame everybody and everyone but OURSELVES. Just like my professor back home blaming the woes of the educational system solely on the Nigerian Govt, without realizing that there are places where he could take control and exert more responsibility.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cold(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2010
otele:

i disagree, he was refering to the arabs and to a lesser extent the white man. the black man has a heart, infact it is his weakness, usually exploited in history by the whites, and in modern times it makes him weak on issues he should be strict. however the black man's biggest enemy is ignorance. and he ignorantly doesnt know it

I'll assume u're jokin.The black man is his own worst enemy.

Ur argument falls flat on it's face when we bring Cuba to the equation.After years of trade embargo courtesy of the United States-Cuba can still hold its own.For the record,Cuba has one the best natural disaster warnings in the world in place for disasters such as hurricanes & earthquakes.I ask again,is this an issue of color or brainsize.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 10:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
~Sauron~:

Especially when America made these 3rd world countries poor in the first place. . . .

A Government run by the rich such as this one and the traditionally oppressive European states, force the third world into buying overpriced, unnecessary goods while exporting huge portions of their RICH natural resources.
Haitians are where they are because of the great inflation that was caused by American companies.

how about if we refuse to buy those expensive goods. force better trade negotiations. gain better respect and treatment. wont things be better? president shagari introduced austerity in the early 80s(as i heard,  grin) which slowed down importations from europe et al, many companies in england folded and laid off workers. they would have decided to re-negotiate with nigeria, which would have benefitted us, but it failed. know why? greed. black man's greed made it fail.
so we started to buy those expensive stuff again, to show off.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cold(m): 10:52pm On Jan 15, 2010
We shld contribute our 'widows mite' to help our brothers in Haiti but this is som serious food for thought-how long are goin to continue lyk this
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 10:52pm On Jan 15, 2010
otele:

how about if we refuse to buy those expensive goods. force better trade negotiations. gain better respect and treatment. wont things be better? president shagari introduced austerity in the early 80s(as i heard,  grin) which slowed down importations from europe et al, many companies in england folded and laid off workers. they would have decided to re-negotiate with nigeria, which would have benefitted us, but it failed. know why? greed. black man's greed made it fail.
so we started to buy those expensive stuff again, to show off.

How can we refuse?
Can a starving dog refuse a chunk of cooked meat?
These plutocratic governments knew what they were doing bringing expensive wares to 3rd world nations. . . .Of course they knew we would fall for it.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 10:53pm On Jan 15, 2010
@cold

i dont get ur point but i was trying to refute someone's statement that the black man is heartless. i believe the average blackman is compassionate but somewhat ignorant
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 10:55pm On Jan 15, 2010
@suaron
why must we fall for it? if it is essential stuff like medicine, ok. but must we buy non essential and expensive stuff? did our ancestors have lexus? did tafawa balewa live in a $1million house? we fell for the expensive stuff and we have to suffer the economic consequences
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cold(m): 10:58pm On Jan 15, 2010
otele:

@cold

i dont get your point but i was trying to refute someone's statement that the black man is heartless. i believe the average blackman is compassionate but somewhat ignorant

I made that statement that the heart of man is desperately wicked is specifically referrin to the black man.Gawd y do we hate our selves so much.The aid to Haiti we're talkin abt,u'll discover that the 'white skinned' man wld maq practically 3/4 of the donations even if he has nothin to loose if Haiti is wiped off the map,get my drift?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by otele(m): 11:03pm On Jan 15, 2010
hey hey mr cold, dont go there pls. i agree the haitians should have whatever money they can get but dont let urself be fooled into thinking the whiteman is nice. they'll have all the feel good about this aid but that's it. nothing more
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 11:03pm On Jan 15, 2010
otele:

@suaron
why must we fall for it? if it is essential stuff like medicine, ok. but must we buy non essential and expensive stuff? did our ancestors have lexus? did tafawa balewa live in a $1million house? we fell for the expensive stuff and we have to suffer the economic consequences

They were conned into it. . . .Civilization and reh reh reh.
I don't blame any Black Nation. . . . .These white lethargic devils poisoned our lands whilst siphoning a huge proportion of our natural resources.
There's no coup in Africa that does not have the blessings of Caucasians.

Their objective is to sponsor a puppet Dictator with arms and cash and control the resources of such States.
Was Thatcher's son not arrested in Equatorial Guinea for alleged involvement in a coup attempt?
That is the level these white bastards can stoop to make African children dig for food in refuse dumps.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by yeswecan(m): 11:06pm On Jan 15, 2010
~Sauron~:

They were conned into it. . . .Civilization and reh reh reh.
I don't blame any Black Nation. . . . .These white lethargic devils poisoned our lands whilst siphoning a huge proportion of our natural resources.
There's no coup in Africa that does not have the blessings of Caucasians.

Their objective is to sponsor a puppet Dictator[b] with arms and cash and control the resources of such States[/b].
Was Thatcher's son not arrested in Equatorial Guinea for alleged involvement in a coup attempt?
That is the level these white bastards can stoop to make African children dig for food in refuse dumps.

My point.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Pistorious Arrested For Shooting Girlfriend Dead / Policeman Quits After Obama Assassination Comments / Who's Greater - Mugabe (Who Took His Peoples Land Back) Or Mandela (Who Didn't)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.