Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,214 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria (28397 Views)

Minimum Wage: How Much Was Added To Your Salary In December 2019? / Payporte Staff Not Paid Salary In Months – Pension And Tax Not Remitted In Years / Different Types Of Salary In Nigeria (number 8 Will Surprise You) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by mctowel01: 10:39am On May 27, 2017
eph12:

If I had known I you are just a boy of 20 years I wouldn't have quoted you.
I am not 20 and maturity is not by age. Get a life man
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by confiritch(m): 11:09am On May 27, 2017
AdeniyiA:

He collects wages, go determine the difference
The difference between the nomenclature given to remuneration for work done is just the timing of payment. For instance, if you are receiving daily pay or weekly pay, it is termed wages. But for those who receive their pay at the end of the month, it is called salary. Accountants on this forum may wish to recall that when we are preparing a Manufacturing, Profit & Loss Account, if wages is stated separately in the question, it will be used in Manufacturing Account to determine production cost, while salary in the P & L A/c. There is no need for argument, the underlining factor is that they are all payment for job done, but christened by the timing of payment. Cheers!!

2 Likes

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by ReubenE(m): 11:36am On May 27, 2017
eph12:

Doing business is not all about selling. It could also be about providing of service.
I understand that very well but the noise about doing business is becoming something else.
Looking at it from a holistic point of view, it's as if Nigerians have accepted the failure of the Nigerian state to cater for her people. Therefore everyone should look for how to survive even in areas they have no good knowledge and the required skill to succeed.

I am very sure if Albert Einstein was a Nigerian, he would have been forced to set up poultry farm or print recharge cards.
My brother, business is not for everybody I say again, and not everybody that will succeed in business.

In the words of Aristotle, he said an individual can only live the good life in the polis (state). This means that Nigerians will continue to move back and forth until the government do the right thing.

How about Saraki leaving the Senate to go into snail farming or graphics designing?
Nigeria must work before we can talk about business....

1 Like

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by eph12(m): 11:39am On May 27, 2017
mctowel01:

I am not 20 and maturity is not by age. Get a life man
You are, you don't have to deny your age. 20 is not a bad age and you still have a lot to learn just that I'm not sure nairaland is a good place to learn if you not mature enough.

By the way I agree maturity is not by age but it's obvious you not even close to being matured.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by mikolo80: 11:45am On May 27, 2017
NairaSand:
Okay, I was a little harsh. Salary is what you earn after a month of hard work

After month of output
Nobody gives a sheet how hard you work

, putting sweat and blood into what you do,

Who send you message

completing your own end of the employment contract you signed. What you earn should in no way be disgraceful. While I will like to continue to tell you sweet things about the nobility of hard work and how much you should be proud of what you earn, there's something more important on the table.

Everyday I come online and I marvel at the sight of what graduates in Nigeria earn. Fifteen thousand naira (#15,000) salary jobs now make it to the front pages of all our popular Job boards, it's very sad to say the least. Data released by Stutern sometime ago seem unbelievable but hey, it's the harsh reality of how unappreciated hard work is in Nigeria. I know what my friends earn, I know what I earn. If I was to ask Nairalanders to start posting how much they earn, I'd most likely get comments from those that earn the big bucks which is just fine smiley. Many of us will rather not comment as the figure will most likely come below the illusion the

Why you sef sign mumu contract

world has created for herself. Our neighbors, our GFs and BFs, Our Parents, Friends and Family all think we are big shots, which we indeed are, our payslip just isn't giving us much credit cheesy

How your mumu concine your employer

If you're reading this, there is a 7/10 chance that you are on the look out for another job, possibly because you want to earn more. More Salary smiley. Believe me when I say you most likely wouldn't get paid your true worth unless you get real lucky.

If you are in your early twenties, please pick up that 50 - 70K job. It's okay you may not want to tell your friends how much you earn, they too may be in the same situation. Congratulations if your salary is in millions smiley, please don't make the mistake of looking down on those that earn thousands unless you're going to admire their shoe, don't make their job and life anymore difficult in the Office as you never know what tomorrow.

To every young man and woman out there that is trying to make a living, don't loose hope. Your salary is a means to an end, not the end in itself. Let your happiness be priority over your pay check. Your salary isn't the end in itself, your salary is the means to the end.

Your salary is disgraceful, but with that disgraceful salary you can plan a better future for yourself. No matter how little or much you earn, don't live from hand to mouth, let that meagre pay make a difference.

Sincerely,
NairaSand smiley

1 Like

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by eph12(m): 11:46am On May 27, 2017
ReubenE:

I understand that very well but the noise about doing business is becoming something else.
Looking at it from a holistic point of view, it's as if Nigerians have accepted the failure of the Nigerian state to cater for her people. Therefore everyone should look for how to survive even in areas they have no good knowledge and the required skill to succeed.

I am very sure if Albert Einstein was a Nigerian, he would have been forced to set up poultry farm or print recharge cards.
My brother, business is not for everybody I say again, and not everybody that will succeed in business.

In the words of Aristotle, he said an individual can only live the good life in the polis (state). This means that Nigerians will continue to move back and forth until the government do the right thing.

How about Saraki leaving the Senate to go into snail farming or graphics designing?
Nigeria must work before we can talk about business....
And if our government does not get their act in probably the next 5-10 years does it mean we're doomed? It's in this same Nigeria that people have looked for how to solve some problems and instantly received grant, funding etc for their ideas. I have a friend that recently went for an interview, not for a job but for an investor.

While we carry out our civic duties and try to elect the right people, we cannot sit with our hands folded and cry for jobs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by MobileTeacher(m): 11:48am On May 27, 2017
AdeniyiA:
Salary is a bribe given to us to forget our dreams undecided embarassed

Word!
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by ReubenE(m): 12:22pm On May 27, 2017
[quote author=eph12 post=56924298]
And if our government does not get their act in probably the next 5-10 years does it mean we're doomed? It's in this same Nigeria that people have looked for how to solve some problems and instantly received grant, funding etc for their ideas. I have a friend that recently went for an interview, not for a job but for an investor.

While we carry out our civic duties and try to elect the right people, we cannot sit with our hands folded and cry for jobs. [quote]

You are not getting my angle.
It's not about folding hands and crying for jobs.
What I am saying is, this do something for yourself jingle is almost giving Nigerians amnesia i.e most people forgetting that government owe them a duty to make things right, and what they must do as individuals to make government do the right thing.

Don't you think the time and resources invested on doing something for yourself jingles is put into political education of the citizenry, maybe things would have been better?

When government fails to do the right thing, my business will be affected, exactly what it is right now.
Now you see why I complain.

Political education is better than the current noise because we already understand why we need to do something for ourselves.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by ReubenE(m): 12:38pm On May 27, 2017
eph12:

While we carry out our civic duties and try to elect the right people, we cannot sit with our hands folded and cry for jobs.
You are not getting my angle.
It's not about folding hands and crying for jobs.
What I am saying is, this do something for yourself jingle is almost giving Nigerians amnesia i.e most people forgetting that government owe them a duty to make things right, and what they must do as individuals to make government do the right thing.

Don't you think the time and resources invested on doing something for yourself jingles is put into political education of the citizenry, maybe things would have been better?

When government fails to do the right thing, my business will be affected, exactly what it is right now.
Now you see why I complain.

Political education is better than the current noise because we already understand why we need to do something for ourselves.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by loswhite(m): 1:04pm On May 27, 2017
dingbang:
Any graduate who doesn't know what business he/she can do with a certain amount of money doesn't deserve to be a graduate
I there a chance that you can fail in your business endeavor? The way u ppl talk about business, it is as if it is guaranteed success. You done deserve to be a graduate for posting this rubbish an illiterate post

2 Likes

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by genieluv(f): 1:14pm On May 27, 2017
AdeniyiA:

There is some great deal of raw truth to this.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by chrisj2(m): 2:06pm On May 27, 2017
verygudbadguy:

Naaah. That's not what I am saying. I don't encourage stealing. There are jobs that you are expected to make money by the side. Not stealing.

I am not a thief. I will never be a thief.

Whatever you make on this side must be declared otherwise you taking a free ride and does the tax office know. Salary is not enough is not a good excuse for bribery and corruption or such like.

Give us examples of jobs where you are openly and legally allowed to make bits on the side? Is is ok for Immigration, Police, Lecturers, Court officials and so on to use their positions to make money on the side?
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by verygudbadguy(m): 3:49pm On May 27, 2017
chrisj2:

Whatever you make on this side must be declared otherwise you taking a free ride and does the tax office know. Salary is not enough is not a good excuse for bribery and corruption or such like.

Give us examples of jobs where you are openly and legally allowed to make bits on the side? Is is ok for Immigration, Police, Lecturers, Court officials and so on to use their positions to make money on the side?

Fx... If u are still not clear, i can expatiate.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Pacificim(m): 4:02pm On May 27, 2017
cooldood:
Fortunately or unfortunately those that are brave will hire those that are not to help the brave ones achieve their dreams. In reality everyone can't be at both ends I.e. Everyone can't be entrepreneurs and everyone can't be employees. We all need one another.

There's nothing bad with wanting to be an employee but because of the hypernormal greed of Nigerian employers (entrepreneurs), they are fine with paying corruption-inducing salaries.

For goodness sakes there's what is called livable wage!but not in Nigeria.
"living wages pls"
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Cmeo(m): 4:09pm On May 27, 2017
addikt:
Salary in Nigeria is rubbish!!!...

I had a chat with someone who's working at a filling station (petrol station) days ago in UK and she earns £1000 in a month . Imagine when you change that to our Nigerian currency . OKAY, LET'S DO A LITTLE MATHEMATICS

£1pounds = #300 Naira (definitely more than this )

She earns 1000.

1000 × 300 =300,000

So SHE EARNS 300K EVERY MONTH .

Tell me why wont she be happy and proud of her job, she have bills to pay and she'll still keep some change for feeding and savings ....you're a graduate right ?
tell me what bills you want to pay from 15k per month and where is your savings ...lol
Here in Nigeria, I can't even walk up to a lady that works at a FILLING STATION andwoo her , I will be told I just finished downgrading myself....gosh. sad
HOW I WISH MAKE I BE ONE PETROL SELLER FOR UK, I GO DEY SAVE 200K EVERY MONTH ...HOW MUCH BE THAT FOR 1 YEAR??

LOL

Do you think 1 room is rent 2-15k naira per month in UK? or you think a bus or train ride go for 100 naira? or you think it is easy to work over there even when u are a citizen? or get a paper?

I wish u could get/have a visa now and show could show us 200k naira savings every month.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by addikt(m): 4:11pm On May 27, 2017
Cmeo:

LOL

Do you think 1 room is rent is 2-15k naira per month in UK?

The work is for only 4 hours per day, forgot to include that , and she cam do other jobs as well....
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Cmeo(m): 4:16pm On May 27, 2017
addikt:

The work is for only 4 hours per day, forgot to include that , and she cam do other jobs as well....

Kindly ask her if that 4hours job is not more than or equate 8hours job in Nigeria.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by mctowel01: 4:26pm On May 27, 2017
eph12:

You are, you don't have to deny your age. 20 is not a bad age and you still have a lot to learn just that I'm not sure nairaland is a good place to learn if you not mature enough.

By the way I agree maturity is not by age but it's obvious you not even close to being matured.
Well, I am still not 20. I know you re judging from my previous topics, of which a lot has totally changed since then. No need to stress on. Whatever rocks your boat.
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by starlingbawa(m): 4:48pm On May 27, 2017
wman:

Same though here. Just look at how sane the comments are. I also feel threads that are not longer than one page shouldn't be moved to the front page. These first to comment guys soil the threads.

I have to agree with you....
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 27, 2017
holyboss:
see this ignoramus. You better grow up and find yourself and stop bullshitting yourself on a 30k work.

Lol

Mumu
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 27, 2017
AHCB:
Hope the person you quoted didn't touch a nerve? grin

Liver nko grin
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by AHCB: 5:44pm On May 27, 2017
skarlett:

Liver nko grin
N u sabi. How body? grin
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 27, 2017
AHCB:
N u sabi. How body? grin

Body dey inside cloth jare

How you dey?

1 Like

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by AHCB: 5:55pm On May 27, 2017
skarlett:

Body dey inside cloth jare

How you dey?
Missing you and at the same time, not missing you. You know why. angry

1 Like

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Adebayo4all: 7:04pm On May 27, 2017
AdeniyiA:
Lol I love dis
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by DarkHenrie(m): 9:33pm On May 27, 2017
That's a very stupid and ignorant thing to say. Not everyone is out to start a business. Some persons function better in already established firms. What is the success rate of businesses in Nigeria even?
dingbang:
Any graduate who doesn't know what business he/she can do with a certain amount of money doesn't deserve to be a graduate
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by DarkHenrie(m): 9:35pm On May 27, 2017
Another hackneyed tripe you must have gleaned from twitter..
AdeniyiA:
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 27, 2017
AHCB:
Missing you and at the same time, not missing you. You know why. angry

Lol, i no even know who be dis
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by AHCB: 10:03pm On May 27, 2017
skarlett:

Lol, i no even know who be dis
Yeye! Na do dem many abi?

Remember "The Girl Next Door"?. grin
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22am On May 28, 2017
AHCB:
Yeye! Na do dem many abi?

Remember "The Girl Next Door"?. grin

Er, nope?
Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by AHCB: 8:01am On May 28, 2017
skarlett:

Er, nope?
K. Keep observing, time will tell, it always do.

1 Like

Re: The Disgraceful Thing Called Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:17am On May 28, 2017
verygudbadguy:
Good piece.

Sometimes, it is not basically about salary. Some employees make their salary in a day while some make theirs in a week or two.

The best kind of job is your own business. But if you are lucky to have a job where you can make 200% of your salary monthly, keep it. Save as much as you can. Set an achievable target and when you attain that level, you quit. Shikena!
Are you talking about stealing on the job? Or how else would you 'make' your salary before collecting it?
Stealing on the job is one of the factors that make employers pay shìt wages in the first place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / Unpaid Daar Communication Workers Halt Operations(photo) / Project Management (pmp And Prince 2 Certification)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.