Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body (1522 Views)

Peoples Mega Party (PMP): Aggrieved PDP Men Float New Party / Jonathan’s Supporters Set To Float New Mega Party / Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 3:15am On Jan 16, 2010
Yoruba leaders unite, float umbrella body
From YINKA FABOWALE, Ibadan

Friday, January 15, 2010
A new pan-Yoruba organization to serve as umbrella body for individuals and groups within the ethnic nation was born yesterday in Ikenne, Ogun State.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/15/515.html

It was midwived by a gathering of Yoruba leaders of thought chaired by the matriarch of the Awolowo family, Chief (Mrs) H.I.D. Awolowo, at the home country of the late sage and modern patriarch of Yoruba, Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

Concern that the group would not join the list of similar bodies aimed at promoting unity within the enclave, but which ended up becoming partisan, however, dominated discussions at the parley, attended by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governors of Ogun, Osun and Ekiti as well as deputy governors of Oyo and Ondo states, elected on the platform of Labour Party.

Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) and former governors in the South West who now belonged to the Action Congress (AC) were, however, absent at the talks, save for Chief Larn Adesina of Oyo State.

Although journalists were barred from a caucus meeting held behind closed doors between 11am and 1.04 pm, as well as an enlarged meeting involving traditional rulers, youths, scholars, politicians and the clergy which lasted almost four hours later, Daily Sun reliably gathered that tempers flared at a claim by Alhaji Adesina that he was representing his colleagues at the parley.

The duo of Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi and a factional leader of Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, took up the former governor, who belonged to another caucus of the political group, on his claim, which they described as untenable and unacceptable.

They pointed out that the former governors, particularly Chief Segun Osoba and Bola Tinubu, were invited to the crucial meeting and should have honoured the invitation more so as special effort were made by the convener to ensure their attendance.

Dubbed the Yoruba Legacy Forum, the new body, which cuts across religious, social and political party affiliations, is to henceforth speak for and represent the interests of the ethnic nation on national affairs, the meeting resolved in a four-point communiqué read to reporters at the end of the parley.

It also agreed that: “All efforts will continue to be made towards the peace process in Afenifere and among prominent Obas in Yorubaland.”

The sitting also held that Yoruba politicians, irrespective of party leanings, must come together to fight the Yoruba cause.

While praying for the quick recovery of President Umaru Yar’Adua, the forum implored, “appropriate machinery of government to ensure there was no vacuum in government.”

The document was signed by the meeting’s convener, Mrs Awolowo.

Addressing the meeting earlier, the aged matriarch expressed worries over disunity in Yorubaland and the proliferation of groupings purporting to represent the people.

She noted that rather than help, the efforts had polarized the people more.

She cited the conflicts within the Afenifere and between it and the Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) and others such as Yoruba Parapo and Atayese, an initiative by the son of the late elder statesman, Chief Adekunle Ajasin, launched in Ibadan two days earlier. Mrs Awolowo urged Yoruba to close ranks, saying disunity was costing them their place as pace setter among the larger Nigerian community.

Osun State Governor, Olagunsoye Oyinlola, who spoke in similar vein, likened the Yoruba situation to the plight of Zion, noting that Yoruba, which used to be example to other ethnic groups in Nigeria, appeared to be retrogressing.

Waxing biblical, the governor asked: “Who shall lift up Jacob, who shall lift up Yoruba?”

Oyinlola then pledged the commitment of his fellow governors to the unification project. Former governor Adesina also pledged his political tendency’s solidarity to the peace move.

He, however, threw barbs at some unnamed people, he described as ‘traitors and deceivers’, who he accused of frustrating efforts at moving the Yoruba forward.

Former deputy governor of Ogun State, Chief Gbenga Kaka, in his contribution, urged the session to “watch it,” so that the new group would not end up as another addition to the figure of similar bodies in the land.

He said the major challenge that faced the group was finding a credible leader that would be acceptable to all, irrespective of political leanings and who would not serve the parochial interests of his own group to the detriment of others.

Others at the well attended meeting are, Chief Olu Falae, Senator Femi Okurohunmu, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, Chief Oluwole Awolowo, traditional rulers and professionals.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 3:17am On Jan 16, 2010

Waxing biblical, the governor asked: “Who shall lift up Jacob, who shall lift up Yoruba?”

Same thing Pa Adesanya said when they formed Yoruba council of elders. Is ethnic groups our problem in Nigeria or better standard of living via good leaders?
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by babapupa: 3:26am On Jan 16, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Same thing Pa Adesanya said when they formed Yoruba council of elders. Is ethnic groups our problem in Nigeria or better standard of living via good leaders?

Good standard of living is a direct manifestation of leadership/unity and I don't think the agenda at the meeting was standard of living/or they lied to you it was. Find something better to worry your shallow mind about or just sit in the corner and scratch your blokos if you ain't got nothing better to do,
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 3:44am On Jan 16, 2010
You see how black people reason?. That is why there is no successful black nation on earth because their reasoning is so shallow. Why are you getting defensive instead of accepting that the meeting is another agenda to propagate sectarianism and I do not see how that will benefit Nigerians. Of course your antenna is up because Fashola was in attendance. How many unifying bodies do we have in Yorubaland before this new one? . There were elegies, praises on how YCE will take Yoruba to another level last time it was formed and where are Yorubas today? Where is Nigeria today?. The same cycle of criminals convening to appropriate themselves on how to maintain the leadership without any intruder taking them by surprise. Why did Tinubu snob them?. Awolowo represents tribalism and that is why that old witch is fighting so hard to maintain her husband's legacy. She will soon join him in hell fire. You also wonder why you can't see men like Soyinka or Falana in such meetings?. If Gani and Fela were alive, you think they will attend such meeting?. The moment fish heads like you learn to think deeper and look into the future, the better for Nigeria.

What happened to people standing up and saying NO to tribalism, no to nepotism, no to bad government, no to embezzlement, no to rigging etc. Rather, they prefer Ohaneze this, arewa that and afenifere ewooo. What happened to respect for every Nigerian irrespective of race, ethnic group, gender and religion?.

Martin Luther King is great today because he did not fight for only black people, he fought for freedom to the oppressed. Awolowo's wife is only alive to promote hatred and nepotism. May thunder fire her yansh, amen.

The sitting also held that Yoruba politicians, irrespective of party leanings, must come together to fight the Yoruba cause.
Tell me wtf is Yoruba cause?. So, they will not fight for a hungry Ijaw or Fulani or Igbo child?. That is how you hope to achieve something in this nation?
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by babapupa: 4:15am On Jan 16, 2010
Like I said, find something better to do with your time and quit spamming the board with your nonsensical tribal paranoia. What's wrong with regional groups with similar interests and commonality getting together to share Ideas and express unity and solidarity? Tribalism and regional affiliations have different meanings and if I might add, Yoruba is not a tribe, even a day old baby sabi these basic facts talk less a grown a!ss man like you.

Even here in the US, they have regional groups and affiliations like western states governors association, Commonwealth states association, Southern states governors association, Southern States Police Benevolent Association, Congressional black caucus, Blue dogs, Hispanic caucus.

Besides, it's a free country and people are free to associate wherever, whenever as they wish. Unfortunately, ethnic jingoists like you insinuates and scribes useless meanings to any and everything.

Yoruba people getting together really should be the least of your worries, you obviously have serious personal issues to iron out within
your form,
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by NegroNtns(m): 5:39am On Jan 16, 2010
Tell me what is Yoruba cause?. So, they will not fight for a hungry Ijaw or Fulani or Igbo child?. That is how you hope to achieve something in this nation?

Yoruba cause is multifold and for the purpose of relevance here, it seeks to advance the collective interests of the children of O'dua.
Here is what it is not, . . .it is not a caretaker for the children of Ijaw, Fulani or Igbo.

If the children of those tribal groups should ever need a surrogate care, Yorubas will embrace that responsibility with diligence and pride. Until then, they should be navigated to their respectve designated milk nipples.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by NegroNtns(m): 5:43am On Jan 16, 2010
since bot is censoring my use of graphic word, substitute 'titties' for 'unmentionables'.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 5:54am On Jan 16, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

Yoruba cause is multifold and for the purpose of relevance here, it seeks to advance the collective interests of the children of O'dua.
Here is what it is not, . . .it is not a  caretaker for the children of Ijaw, Fulani or Igbo.

If the children of those tribal groups should ever need a surrogate care, Yorubas will embrace that responsibility with diligence and pride. Until then, they should be navigated to their respectve designated milk unmentionables. 

I can see the smiling faces of the joyous and ebullient Yoruba race taken care of by the supercilious Yoruba leadership. Do children of odua carry different passports from children of other ethnic groups?. Are these children of oodua not Nigerians?. There are many pan Yoruba groups formed every now and then and we have seen that Yoruba children fair better than children from other ethnic groups in Nigeria because of their leadership. I can see progress and prosperity raining upon all oduduwa children because of their astute leadership. I can see job abundance, good roads, food, prosperity and wealth multiply among oduduwa children while others who have no such leaderships  wail and drench in penury. I can see abundant love among these children of Awolowo while other ethnic groups assassinate and murder one another. Knowledge is power[Tai Solarin] Mschhhhhhewww undecided undecided
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by NegroNtns(m): 5:59am On Jan 16, 2010
Glad to know your 'light bulb' came on!
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 7:12am On Jan 16, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

Glad to know your 'light bulb'  came on!

Glad to know your stupidity fueled by tribal jingoism will follow you to your grave. The brain is a terrible thing to waste.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 9:01am On Jan 16, 2010
babapupa:

Like I said, find something better to do with your time and quit spamming the board with your nonsensical tribal paranoia. What's wrong with regional groups with similar interests and commonality getting together to share Ideas and express unity and solidarity? Tribalism and regional affiliations have different meanings and if I might add, Yoruba is not a tribe, even a day old baby sabi these basic facts talk less a grown a!ss man like you.

Even here in the US, they have regional groups and affiliations like western states governors association, Commonwealth states association, Southern states governors association, Southern States Police Benevolent Association, Congressional black caucus, Blue dogs, Hispanic caucus. 

Besides, it's a free country and people are free to associate wherever, whenever as they wish. Unfortunately, ethnic jingoists like you insinuates and scribes useless meanings to any and everything.

Yoruba people getting together really should be the least of your worries, you obviously have serious personal issues to iron out within
your form,

I will not dignify this trash you wrote here with a response because it's obvious you don't have any idea of what modern civilization is. What are you again, Mungo park or Robinson Crusoe?
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by nex(m): 9:17am On Jan 16, 2010
Yoruba leaders are always floating this and floating that, but when shit hits the fan, they're the first to turn tail and betray.

They remember to cut across religion, social and political strata, but they refuse to cut across tribe. Rubbish! They should stop using that poor old woman for their selfish agenda.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by babapupa: 9:20am On Jan 16, 2010
aloy*emeka:

I will not dignify this trash you wrote here with a response because it's obvious you don't have any idea of what modern civilization is. What are you again, Mungo park or Robinson Crusoe?

Standard punk out move. Like I pointed out and in the same modern civilization you're talking about, they have regional associations and groups. In the same modern civilization, they have something called freedom of association. It's a freeking fundamental right in any modern civilization, maybe not in your bigoted civilization.

I think your version of modern civilization resides in the stone age. Is the congressional black couscous a tribal orgernization and are they tribal/wrong for looking out for black people? Is the Hispanic caucus a tribal organization and are they tribal/wrong for looking  out for the Hispanic communitie?
Are the blue dogs tribal/wrong for looking out after their conservative base? Are the southern governors in the US wrong for having their own association to protect their southern interests?

Try make some sense while peddling your silly tribal nonsense sometimes.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by babapupa: 9:21am On Jan 16, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Glad to know your stupidity fueled by tribal jingoism will follow you to your grave. The brain is a terrible thing to waste.

But you are the real tribal jingoist, you do nothing but scrape the bottom of the internet for stale dumb tribal nonsense to further your silly tribal paranoia and alarmism.

It's a free country and I truly believe within the Nigerian constitution, there's something called "Freedom of association"

I don't think you know the meaning, it's the individual right to come together with other individuals and collectively express, promote, pursue and defend common interests.

Like they say, a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.  Your dying infatuation and obsession with Yoruba and tribal issues is sickening. Why are you trying to commit suicide over what Yoruba people are doing or not doing? den put gun to ya head to follow join meeting ni?

Hold yourself and get a freeking life,
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by WilyWily7: 10:13am On Jan 16, 2010
I still dey ask, Which King god Created Yoruba People?, nah wah oooo
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:34am On Jan 16, 2010
Wily*Wily:

Haven't you heard that Oduduwa was pushed down from the sky and he fell head on hitting his head on Olumo rock. The impact caused him brain damage and that is why  most of his off-springs are brain damaged. grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 16, 2010
May God make our enemies continue to envy us while we progress and they,suffer in agony!!!!!!!

wilywily
your day don break abi
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by Katsumoto: 12:37pm On Jan 16, 2010
Wily*Wily:

The same one that created you but like they say, 'all fingers are not equal'. I am sorry that you are mentally disadvantaged. Your fixation with Yoruba is really worrisome but it is too late to change your tribe.

You remind me of a program on NTA Benin in the 80s about a ghost called wilywily. Are you that character?
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by ikeyman00(m): 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@

no wonder there are so much tribal mark on their faces shocked

shocked tiger man grin
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 16, 2010
Lwkmd, s t u p i d man looking for who created yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by Katsumoto: 2:30pm On Jan 16, 2010
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@

no wonder there are so much tribal mark on their faces shocked

shocked tiger man grin

I will not tire to expose unintelligent posters on these forums until they go away to the romance and jokes sections.
Ikeyman, are you not an African? Did you just make an imbecilic comment about tribal marks which is a cultural identity of many tribes in Africa? Yes the Ibadan/Ogbomosho tribal marks are the most visible but each tribe has its own identity.

Only those that do not have intelligent comments to make, resort to such balderdash. You make fun of others like they can't make fun of you. It is possible for one to have tribal marks and still be more goodlooking than people such as yourself. If you are confident of your looks, I dare you to post your picture.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by reporter1: 2:34pm On Jan 16, 2010
Wily*Wily:

Trying hard to ignore another of your rant, Willy Willy or Sunnybobo or Meku or whatever you go by.

But guess what? Today is not your lucky day.

First,  you should go acquiant your self with Yoruba history before you run your "404" eating mouth.
Before your folks were let out of the jungle, Yoruba had built an empire that spreads from Nupe in Nigeria to a section of the modern day Togo.
Yoruba history is rich, and by far the most prominent of all the Nigerian ethnic groups.  

What is your people's history?  Nothing! All you people did before Yoruba brought education to you was drink "ogogoro" all day
and of course party with 404 meat
You should be thankful to the great son of Yoruba, Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther, for bringing civilisation to you hillbillies.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by ziga: 3:15pm On Jan 16, 2010
Guys, let us bear with wilywily, mekus/sunybobo for a little longer. Neuroscientists are working round the clock to get them a brain transplant.

Actually wilywily already had his brain transplant, but the only brain that was available at that time was from a mule, so they are now trying to get him a brain from a higher animal like a donkey.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by ziga: 3:17pm On Jan 16, 2010
oh, and ikeyman is also on the transplant list. but his name is very low on the list because they discovered that even the brain from a rat won't do him much good.

He is totally wasted!
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by ezeagu(m): 3:18pm On Jan 16, 2010
Yoruba leaders bringing a whole new level to 'beating around the bush'. . . . . . .
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by ezeagu(m): 3:21pm On Jan 16, 2010
reporter?:

Trying hard to ignore another of your rant, Willy Willy or Sunnybobo or Meku or whatever you go by.

But guess what? Today is not your lucky day.

First,  you should go acquiant your self with Yoruba history before you run your "404" eating mouth.
Before your folks were let out of the jungle, Yoruba had built an empire that spreads from Nupe in Nigeria to a section of the modern day Togo.
Yoruba history is rich, and by far the most prominent of all the Nigerian ethnic groups.  

What is your people's history?  Nothing! All you people did before Yoruba brought education to you was drink "ogogoro" all day
and of course party with 404 meat
You should be thankful to the great son of Yoruba, Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther, for bringing civilisation to you hillbillies.

[size=18pt]All hail the master race![/size]
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 3:30pm On Jan 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

The same one that created you but like they say, 'all fingers are not equal'. I am sorry that you are mentally disadvantaged. Your fixation with Yoruba is really worrisome but it is too late to change your tribe.

You remind me of a program on NTA Benin in the 80s about a ghost called wilywily. Are you that character?

LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 3:33pm On Jan 16, 2010
nex:

Yoruba leaders are always floating this and floating that, but when poo hits the fan, they're the first to turn tail and betray.

[b]
They remember to cut across religion, social and political strata, but they refuse to cut across tribe. [/b]Rubbish! They should stop using that poor old woman for their selfish agenda.

Thank you very much.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by sjeezy8: 3:34pm On Jan 16, 2010
Yoruba culturally are great from west Nigeria to togo into east ghana. NO doubt

All these talks about yoruba nationalist can do great harm to yorubas, just as biafran people are doing to igbos on the political scene.
AC didnt show up because its the main opposition party and its not a good image for Tinubu, Fashola and co . . . (I wouldnt have attended either)

while Nigeria exist and yorubas are apart of it - SW politicians shouldnt be seen in yoruba only functions. Yorubas in general need to be seen as  Soyinkas, Ganis, Felas, Fasholas, Herbert macauleys, Ajayi crowthers etc . .
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by ziga: 3:48pm On Jan 16, 2010
sjeezy8:

All these talks about yoruba nationalist can do great harm to yorubas, just as biafran people are doing to igbos on the political scene.
AC didnt show up because its the main opposition party and its not a good image for Tinubu, Fashola and co . . . (I wouldnt have attended either)

while Nigeria exist and yorubas are apart of it - SW politicians shouldnt be seen in yoruba only functions. Yorubas in general need to be seen as  Soyinkas, Ganis, Felas, Fasholas, Herbert macauleys, Ajayi crowthers etc . .

I quite agree with you that leaders have to be careful about the kind of message they are sending out to people, especially in a country like Nigeria where tribal sentiments are thrown at every opportunity.

But also, if we are to consider the way things have been going recently, MASSOB for the SE, MEND for the SS, and all that. I think it is a smart move for Yoruba leaders to come together and start planning a future for the Yoruba population if and when Nigeria falls apart.

It is unfortunate that a lot of talk on Nairaland is about Nigeria dividing, and a smart man will start making plans for his future.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by aloyemeka7: 4:30pm On Jan 16, 2010
sjeezy8:

Fashola was there. Tinubu didn't show up probably because his emerging power as the king of o'dua  politics could be threatened by some of those sons of beeches who attend the meeting. He has his own game plan on how to loot the nation and does not need anybody's directive on how to achieve that besides, 2011 is around the corner and assassins may use that opportunity to waylay and massacre him. Political assassination in the south west is advanced and such meetings may give them a good blueprint of your whereabout. Why wasn't Obasanjo there? Why didn't they invite real Yoruba sons who cuts across ethnic groups and even nations?. Wole Soyinka is an African icon who stands for justice irrespective of whether its Haiti, Nigeria, Zimbabwe etc but they wouldn't invite such a person because he is "too good" for their agenda.

When they tell you that Tinubu and Fashola is at war, believe it and he is not leaving any stone unturned before Fasholatas like babapupa waylay him along the road to Awo's house with a machete. Tinubu is a smart mo'fucker.
Re: Yoruba Leaders Unite, Float Umbrella Body by babapupa: 4:46pm On Jan 16, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Fashola was there.

Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) and former governors in the South West who now belonged to the Action Congress (AC) were, however, absent at the talks

@ least, read your own garbage article before running your mouth,

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Story Of Nigeria's Conspiracy (pix) / Why EFCC Should Go After Pastors In Nigeria / Nass Nigeria Election Result For 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.