Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,134 members, 7,953,499 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:33 PM

Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law (24076 Views)

Senate To Override President Buhari’s Veto On Two Bills / Osinbajo Signs Three Bills Into Law As Acting President / Yemi Osinbajo Signs The 2017 Budget Bill Into Law (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by dre11(m): 7:01pm On May 30, 2017
Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja

The Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo , on Tuesday, signed into law two bills that have earlier been passed by the National Assembly.

According to a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, the bills signed into law will ultimately facilitate access to more affordable credit for Nigerians.

The signed bills are the Secured Transactions in Movable Assets Act , 2017 (otherwise known as Collateral Registry Act) and the Credit Reporting Act, 2017.

According to the statement, ‘The Collateral Registry Act ’ ensures that Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in Nigeria can register their movable assets such as motor vehicles, equipment and accounts receivable in the National Collateral Registry, and use same as collateral for accessing loans.

“ This, in turn, will increase their chances at accessing financing and tackle one of the major obstacles faced by MSMEs, ” Akande said.

The Credit Reporting Act provides for credit information sharing between Credit Bureaus and lenders (such as banks), as well as other institutions that provide services on credit such as telecommunication companies and retailers.

A Credit Bureau is defined as a company that collects information relating to the credit ratings of individuals and makes it available to financial institutions, who need such information to determine an individual's credit- worthiness and whether or not to grant loan applications to such individuals.

The statement read, “ Access to credit is critical to economic growth and is considered to be the motor for driving private sector development.

“However, in Nigeria more than 70% of private enterprises, typically MSMEs, have limited or no access to credit. Credit applications get rejected due to insufficient credit history and information for the lender to use to make a reasonable judgement , as well as unacceptable collateral.

“The two new Acts remove those obstacles for MSMEs.

“Traditionally, banks only give loans to businesses that can provide fixed land and property as collateral. This shuts out MSMEs which usually own only movable assets like motor vehicles and equipment.

“The Collateral Registry Bill , 2017 , will give confidence to lenders to utilise the Registry and thereby make credit available to MSMEs and individuals through the use of their movable assets as collateral.

“The Credit Reporting Act now enables lenders to make reasonable judgement on whether or not to extend credit to an individual , and reduces the cases of bad loans. ”

On February 21, the leadership of the National Assembly was reported to have publicly committed to passing the two bills as part of the 60- Day National Action Plan for Ease of Doing Business initiated by the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council.

That promise was kept by the National Assembly last week with the Bills forwarded to the Acting President for assent.

With the passage of these Acts, the existing Central Bank of Nigeria Guidelines regulating the operations of the National Collateral Registry and Credit Bureaux have now been replaced by formal legal frameworks.

The passage of these Acts would facilitate the achievement of the goals of the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council set up by President Muhammadu Buhari in July 2016 and chaired by the Vice - President to progressively make Nigeria an easier place for businesses to start and thrive.

http://punchng.com/osinbajo-signs-two-bills-into-law/

lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Firgemachar: 7:22pm On May 30, 2017
Nice!

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by ochgeorg(m): 9:43pm On May 30, 2017
Man of the year
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Akshow: 9:43pm On May 30, 2017
Haterzzz call him coordinating minister, but he daily falls their hands by showing he has got some ballz. Ride on ACTING PRESIDENT!! !

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by brunofarad(m): 9:44pm On May 30, 2017
Osibande you mean ?
Pls learn how to pronounce people's name right lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 30, 2017
Booked space for nothing. I have nothing to say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by SuccesYear: 9:44pm On May 30, 2017
7th

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by auntysimbiat(f): 9:45pm On May 30, 2017
Nice
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Kangol99(m): 9:46pm On May 30, 2017
cool
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Rexnegro(m): 9:46pm On May 30, 2017
all these laws wey they no dey observe ehn....its well tho
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by rattlesnake(m): 9:46pm On May 30, 2017
Buhari hated by the imposter zionists
but used by God to give us a pastor as president
HAIL PMB
HAIL OSINBAJO

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by TerrorSquad147: 9:47pm On May 30, 2017
brb
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by hezy4real01(m): 9:47pm On May 30, 2017
This guy dey try oooo e get sense pass Baba walahi

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by ninocia18(m): 9:47pm On May 30, 2017
I don't even know what everything means but this is what can happen to a people or a land when they are ruled by a man who fears God.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by hardeycute(m): 9:47pm On May 30, 2017
Good one but please let it be IMPLEMENTED.

We have seen many of it but it has not yet translated to anything.

I LOVE NIGERIA

10 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Rockquest: 9:48pm On May 30, 2017
This is a very good development. Gradually Nigeria will become great again. I am particularly happy with the law to check access to credit provided by financial institutions. Now those with good credit history and genuine plans on use can easily be granted loans as its done in developed nations. We should expect in the medium term, greater investments and employment prospects

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Rendition(m): 9:49pm On May 30, 2017
Good one AP osinbajo
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by babasolo(m): 9:49pm On May 30, 2017
nice,

anyway. Fat girls should not be addressed as Chicks cause they are Bigger than that, call them something like Broilers. na play oooo

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 30, 2017
Ok
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by jeftalene(m): 9:49pm On May 30, 2017
www.engineerosaz..com is where you find latest prices of building materials in Nigeria, free rough estimates of various types of building projects across the country and quality construction advice from a reliable professional in the industry.

With engineerosaz. you are not alone!
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Nobody: 9:50pm On May 30, 2017
Ok
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by oshe11: 9:51pm On May 30, 2017
Osibaba grin
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Josmila(m): 9:52pm On May 30, 2017
IhateAfonjas:

Can someone explain this dream

I had a dream last night, i saw an Aeroplane land in Abuja airport, it was carrying a dead body, people were wearing black clothes and they were all crying

Read the news again, this time slowly and pay more attention fo details, you might just find a Moses in between the lines to explain your nightmare.

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by ephi321(f): 9:52pm On May 30, 2017
This is someone who knows what he is doing. Who understands the contribution small businesses and startups make to a viable economy.
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Freshsnoow1(m): 9:52pm On May 30, 2017
For your cartoon.. Contact me on what'sapp 08169177163

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Dfinex(f): 9:53pm On May 30, 2017
Hoping that these policies will work as I wonder which bank go give this kind credit considering that as Nigerians we too like tokunbo vehicles. ...when these people default in payments, how will the banks recoup their money, when after valuing all the assets it won't be enough to offset the loan?

I think this policies are more like saying MSMEs may no longer be needing any collateral security to access facilities. But that one na government talk, I sha know Nigerian banks, No body go sell this kind facility.
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by IhateAfonjas(m): 9:53pm On May 30, 2017
Josmila:

Read the news again, this time slowly and pay more attention fo details, you might just find a Moses in between the lines to explain your nightmare

Sir

I don't understand
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 30, 2017
IhateAfonjas:

Can someone explain this dream

I had a dream last night, i saw an Aeroplane land in Abuja airport, it was carrying a dead body, people were wearing black clothes and they were all crying

8 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by IhateAfonjas(m): 9:55pm On May 30, 2017
Dfinex:
Hoping that these policies will work as I wonder which bank go give this kind credit considering that Nigerians we too like tokunbo vehicles. ...

Nigerians ??

You mean poor people like you

The Nigerians i know buy brand new German machines

Talk about yourself

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by 2amps: 9:59pm On May 30, 2017
Nice one acting president
Re: Osinbajo Signs Two Bills Into Law by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 30, 2017
Good...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tahir Yusuf Forfeits N500 Million To Federal Government / Tinubu Govt Planning To Gag Media Ahead Of Release Of FBI Files – Atiku’s Aide / Photo Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu AND Dele Momodu Back In The Days (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.