Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,368 members, 7,864,700 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:07 AM

Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) (740 Views)

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez Is Dead / Haiti Joins African Union / Support The Relief Efforts In Haiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 18, 2010

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez on Sunday accused the United States of using the earthquake in Haiti as a pretext to occupy the devastated Caribbean country and offered to send fuel from his OPEC nation.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I read that 3,000 soldiers are arriving, Marines armed as if they were going to war. There is not a shortage of guns there, my God. Doctors, medicine, fuel, field hospitals, that's what the United States should send," Chavez said on his weekly television show. "They are occupying Haiti undercover."

"On top of that, you don't see them in the streets. Are they picking up bodies? , Are they looking for the injured? You don't see them. I haven't seen them. Where are they?"

Chavez promised to send as much gasoline as Haiti needs for electricity generation and transport.

A perennial foe of U.S. "imperialism," Chavez said he did not wish to diminish the humanitarian effort made by the United States and was only questioning the need for so many troops.

The United States is sending more than 5,000 Marines and soldiers to Haiti, and a hospital ship is due to arrive later this week.

The country's president said U.S. troops would help keep order on Haiti's increasingly lawless streets.

Venezuela has sent several planes to Haiti with doctors, aid and some soldiers. A Russia-Venezuela mission was set to leave Venezuela on Monday carrying aid on Russian planes.

Chavez said Venezuela's planes were the first to land in Haiti after Tuesday's 7.0 magnitude earthquake, which wrecked the capital Port-Au-Prince and killed as many as 200,000 people.

(Reporting by Ana Isabel Martinez; Writing by Frank Jack Daniel; Editing by Xavier Briand)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100117/world/international_us_quake_haiti_chavez
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by Mpele(m): 10:26am On Jan 18, 2010
This slowpoke should just shut the f&*%# up! The Haitians don't even care as to who is occupying who, they just want help and the US has by far been the one that is providing them with aid. This is not time fo peety politics angry angry angry
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by metalgong5(m): 11:58am On Jan 18, 2010
Chavez is always on a high dose of crack!
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by Mariory(m): 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2010
The man is so silly, it's bordering on mental health issues. His country which he is graudually destroying will soon start living off American aid. and he think he's starting to reliase this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100118/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_venezuela_us;_ylt=Amouo1CbtiXlt.ogqk5wN3y3IxIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJtMTAyMDM4BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTE4L2x0X3ZlbmV6dWVsYV91cwRwb3MDMjIEc2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDY2hhdmV6c2Vla3Np
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by otawa: 3:08pm On Jan 18, 2010
"I read that 3,000 soldiers are arriving, Marines armed as if they were going to war. There is not a shortage of guns there, my God. Doctors, medicine, fuel, field hospitals, that's what the United States should send," Chavez said on his weekly television show. "They are occupying Haiti undercover."

"On top of that, you don't see them in the streets. Are they picking up bodies? , Are they looking for the injured? You don't see them. I haven't seen them. Where are they?"

why are the AMERICANS ARMY not picking dead bodies in the street?
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by ElRazur: 3:17pm On Jan 18, 2010
otawa:

why are the AMERICANS ARMY not picking dead bodies in the street?

YOu make me laugh. In a disaster zone, the whole idea is usually to have a managed approach and to avoid further risk or death if necessary. The morgue is full and as a result a make-shift morgue will have to me made. These things take time. In the mean time, priority in my opinion will be on Search and rescue, looking after the injured, managing survivors, having a fit-to-drink water station in place etc. Not picking up dead bodies.

While bodies can potentially spread disease, it is necessary to priorities first. Jeez. Nah wah o. I am guessing you applied for visa but them no give you abi? grin
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by MandingoII(m): 6:39pm On Jan 18, 2010
He's right.

But Haiti NEEDS some type of occupation.

At least they can blame the United States if they continue to each Dirt Pies.

Where was Hugo before the quake?
Re: Us Occupying Haiti In The Name Of Aid---hugo Chavez (venezuelan President) by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 18, 2010
Russia and Venezuela are airlifting aid materials to Haiti this week according to what Hugo said in the article. He said Russia-Venezuela partnership has been there before the Americans got there according to him.

(1) (Reply)

Obama Stole Canada's Snow. / Say what? / How To Write About Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.