Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,702 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply (24928 Views)

After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School / My Boss Asked Security To Throw Me Out Because I Asked For My Money / Can You Ask Your Boss; "How Are You"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:39am On Jun 01, 2017
philosophie:
The guy should be orientated on how the Nigerian system works, especially our soldiers, cos a slap from a soldier may affect his innocent grandmother in the grave.
You guys should stop all these Soldier jokes. It's worsening the situation.

2 Likes

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by BalogunIdowu(m): 9:40am On Jun 01, 2017
nigerian bossy things...
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Husty(m): 9:43am On Jun 01, 2017
praise1705:

how are you?

Put some respeck on it ma. It should be 'É how are you' grin tongue
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Husty(m): 9:46am On Jun 01, 2017
FengChui:

Smh, must u be on FP?

*in Omawumi's voice*
If you ask me, na who I go ask tongue grin
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by adeoba2008(m): 9:50am On Jun 01, 2017
Nigerian mentality. Bosses always feel they are UP there....

http:///2sgSpjU
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by donjahsy(m): 9:51am On Jun 01, 2017
It would do us all good if we don't let go of our way of life (culture)..

in African setting, adding sir definitely makes the whole thing so respectful and cultured while in the western countries it might not be easily noticed when sir is not used.

bottom line is, use sir which is more appropriate.

personal view though.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by grafitti(m): 9:52am On Jun 01, 2017
Airoflaw:
Nigeria mentality.. you need to add Sir at d end of the statement to make it respectful to Our Nigerian Elders
Good!
It shows d dog was well brought up!
#good~home~training
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by mmsen: 9:54am On Jun 01, 2017
danidon08:
When you get to rome, you better act like the romans cheesy

Rome ultimately burned to the ground because it was set its ways.

Adapt or die might be true for individuals but it's also true for societies.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Bondesniger(m): 9:55am On Jun 01, 2017
Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Frenchie1: 10:00am On Jun 01, 2017
How are you is very simple English that requires a very simple answer ' I'm fine, thanks or I'm not . C'mon sense is no longer c'mon anymore...such a shame to see how bosses treat their employees in Nigeria. Please educate me on " what are your rights as an employee in Nigeria "
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by joenor(m): 10:02am On Jun 01, 2017
My broda those one are poverty oriented ones, even my baby ask me dad how are you? what's there??
Airoflaw:
Nigeria mentality.. you need to add Sir at d end of the statement to make it respectful to Our Nigerian Elders
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 01, 2017
If you want to test the true character of an average Nigerian, just place them a little above their peers.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by jstan(m): 10:19am On Jun 01, 2017
Naija mentality, there is nothing in saying how are u to ur boss
But we take it to the other way round
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by timoteus(m): 10:26am On Jun 01, 2017
Our culture is ours
We don't have to copy everything even disrespect

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by mbhs139(m): 10:27am On Jun 01, 2017
babythug:
It's generally believed in some cultures that a younger person cannot enquire about the wellbeing of an older person especially using the phrase "how are you?"

Yes, in the Yoruba culture to be specific: you don't ask your elders "ba wo ni"? It is wrong. So, I think the boss is Yoruba, and most have interpreted it that way. You simply greet your elders by saying "Good Morning..." with a "...Sir" to accompany it, otherwise, you're being disrespectful. Meanwhile, don't forget we're talking about "...in some culture" like you put it. So, don't generalise my statement.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Josmila(m): 10:31am On Jun 01, 2017
Stupid naija mentality..

I remember back in '07 when my friend served in a stock brokerage firm in V/I, the first day he resumed work, he was meant to see the MD, a yoruba man, he greeted and added 'sir', the man immediately told him it's just Tola, "Call me Tola, he said" and proceeded to tell him, "you address everyone by their first name and that's it"

Try that in some offices, and you'll get the bashing of your life. You must put Mr/Mrs while addressing some of them to avoid questions like "am I your mate?, are we equals?" LOL

Well, mine has always been a case of addressing superiors with 'Sir', 'Ma' or 'Madam', and I'm not complaining either grin

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by giftspta(f): 10:42am On Jun 01, 2017
All boss are not the same , understand your boss and act accordingly.

Moreover body language speaks louder than words, boss response would have been due to contradictory body language than words being spelled out so the response. Things goes beyond adding Sir or Maa but to exhibit right posture and body language. Human brain believes more what they see through eyes than ears.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by jaxxy(m): 10:46am On Jun 01, 2017
He used to saying how are u jack? To his boss over there. Sorry my nigga
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by banmee(m): 10:51am On Jun 01, 2017
danidon08:
When you get to rome, you better act like the romans cheesy

I have one better; When in a zoo, always act like an animal.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Jakumo(m): 10:52am On Jun 01, 2017
In Nigerianese English, the greeting "How are you ?" is loaded with hidden meaning, whereby such a greeting is NEVER offered by a subordinate to a superior, given that the real meaning is as follows : " I grudgingly acknowledge your pathetic and pointless hand-to-mouth existence, you insignificant little poverty-stricken sub-human waste of space, and may you remain in utter, abject poverty until hell freezes over."

This subliminal message is ONLY appropriate when delivered by a RICH person to a poor one, and NEVER the other way around.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by banmee(m): 10:52am On Jun 01, 2017
timoteus:
Our culture is ours
We don't have to copy everything even disrespect

It is not culture. It is a slave mentality. This is the reason people like buhari are still "leading" you.
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by achu442(m): 10:53am On Jun 01, 2017
Africans and backward.mentality.
Does " sir or " madam" signify respect?
No, it doesn't.
It's just a normal salutation to a male or female.
It's pride on the boss side.Nothing like culture.
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Izychi: 11:18am On Jun 01, 2017
freebreezeyz:
In as much as I would totally agree as regards the comments above that our mentality here requires the addition of 'sir' and 'ma', I would like to point out here that that mentality is a wrong one that needs to fade away at the workplace.

I worked with Virgin Nigeria and that mentality was TOTALLY ABSENT at the workplace!!! It never even brought disrespect amongst superiors and subordinates!! Abeg make that oga park well joor!!!

Na mate em come do for the workplace? I most times see it sef as Inferiority complex when U cannot allow a junior feel free with you at the workplace when one is been addressed!

You've got a point though. But can u tell me why that's not done in the military in any nation on earth?
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by ehinmowo: 11:24am On Jun 01, 2017
it is oyinbo foolishness dt affected d guy...it is nt out of place for Nigerians to consider it rude.

d same wey u wud if a small boy in ur street tap ur shoulder and say those words to u.

or u wud if u greet ur student and he replies with d same words....

d fact is dt in some occasions, d words are rude....forget oyinbo's bullshit

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by 1metre: 11:37am On Jun 01, 2017
freebreezeyz:
In as much as I would totally agree as regards the comments above that our mentality here requires the addition of 'sir' and 'ma', I would like to point out here that that mentality is a wrong one that needs to fade away at the workplace.

I worked with Virgin Nigeria and that mentality was TOTALLY ABSENT at the workplace!!! It never even brought disrespect amongst superiors and subordinates!! Abeg make that oga park well joor!!!

Na mate em come do for the workplace? I most times see it sef as Inferiority complex when U cannot allow a junior feel free with you at the workplace when one is been addressed!
I totally agree with u. I warned my siblings, my cousin and nephew never to address me using dee or ndaa. Call me by my names.
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by pweeryambre: 12:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
Some rude persons use that as a way of arrogance, not that they really care about your well being, but to show you are beneath them, if not how can u explain walking into the office and say good morning to a young Lady and she just raises her eye brows and say "how are you" and then continue to press her phone. you meet her next day and ask her the same" how are you" and then she snobs you.

1 Like

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Nhakeem(m): 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
LOL, One should probably have a change of Job. Services are suppose to be rendered in the best of environments and conditions, else it's almost slavery, given that money charges hands.

On a different note though:

What's with employers not wanting to pay salaries till 6-10th of the new month? Money way em go still pay, abi Em dey hope say RAPTURE go happen and they will somehow be the only ones left to live on the money ABI
WHAT!! ...
I am not understanding this.

The 'Boss baby movie', Highly recommended
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Nhakeem(m): 1:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
LOL, One should probably have a change of Job. Services are suppose to be rendered in the best of environments and conditions, else it's almost slavery, given that money charges hands.

On a different note though:
What's with employers not wanting to pay salaries till 6-10th of the new month? Money way em go still pay, abi Em dey hope say RAPTURE go happen and they will somehow be the only ones left to live on the money ABI
WHAT!! ...
I am not understanding this.
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by oblaak(m): 1:36pm On Jun 01, 2017
philosophie:
The guy should be orientated on how the Nigerian system works, especially our soldiers, cos a slap from a soldier may affect his innocent grandmother in the grave.
Sharrap there.
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Beganly: 1:57pm On Jun 01, 2017
[s][/s]the boss will be like the boss will be like the boss will be like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UAC Nigeria Appoints Babasola Folasope As New MD/CEO / Huawei Staff Punished After Official Tweet Posted ‘via Iphone’ / The Only Female Keke Driver In Awka, Anambra State Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.